PDA

View Full Version : Gk alternate colours?

The Guy
12-01-2008, 22:41
Do all GKs have the same colour armour? Do some have different? If so then why? Is it a sign of heraldry? Would I be able to [fluff wise] have different coloured GKs in the same army?

TwoByFour
12-01-2008, 22:54
As far as I know, all Grey Knights have silver armour. I'm no expert on them, but that is my impression.
You could, however, use colour on their sholderpads, as part of their heraldry. I think veteran sergeants get heraldry, and maybe the squad gets to carry a less ornate version of their sergeants heraldry? It could tie the individual squad together quite nicely, I think. Maybe a GK expert could enlighten us further?

TwoByFour.

TheLionReturns
12-01-2008, 23:15
They are your minis, I say paint them however you like. I know of no fluff that would point to any alternative colour scheme though.

Stella Cadente
12-01-2008, 23:31
your minis, your painting rules, different colors in the same force might seem a little weird though

Quentin
13-01-2008, 00:51
Technically there is a Grey Knight in the back of the Daemonhunters codex whose armour is an encrusted blood red colour.

As far as Heraldry goes, each Grey Knight Terminator has his own personal heraldry emblazoned on his shield.

I've seen a squad of particularly neat GK termies who are in fact former Loyalist members of the Traitor Legions. Not Chaos Marines turned good, of course, they where amongst those on the Eisenstien.

I've seen a few well done GK's in other colour schemes than silver/gold metal.

Lord Cook
13-01-2008, 01:24
There is a small piece of fluff in one of the White Dwarfs (from a couple of years back) about the Grey Knight attack on the Relictors Space Marine Fortress Monastery. IIRC the GK terminators in it have a sort of dark metallic blue armour.
Unfortunately I don't have the copy to hand.

Johnnyfrej
13-01-2008, 04:25
Do all GKs have the same colour armour? Do some have different? If so then why? Is it a sign of heraldry? Would I be able to [fluff wise] have different coloured GKs in the same army?
I assume they all have the same color because unlike other Space Marines they are not divided into chapters. The GKs are more like the Black Templars in that they are just one big force of Space Marines and have one main base of operations (Titan). You could paint them a different color and simply say they got so battle-damaged from fighting chaos across the corners of the galaxy that they had to improvise the paint color or if they were dedicated to a single Ordo Malleous inquisitor with his heradry.

PondaNagura
13-01-2008, 04:49
well in the previopus editions, when GK were an addon to imperial forces they used to be primarily black army with trim.
the index astartes v.2 has some images of what they looked like. i'll try and post a pic later.

it actually works quite well with the current models.

Khaine's Messenger
13-01-2008, 06:08
Do all GKs have the same colour armour?

Technically, no. There was at least one instance in which a Grey Knights force borrowed terminator armor from several chapters and showed proper respect for the war spirits of their armor by not repainting them. The arrival of several different chapters' worth of terminators was pretty upsetting to their opponent, though. Source escapes me, so don't take it as gospel.

However, that was a one-off event, and I do grasp what you mean. No, not all GK have the same armor color. There are several generations' worth of different armor schemes passed down through editions, although I think they're usually metallics of some flavor. And if you don't like their current scheme, you're free to change it. However, if you're doing something like, say, using their armor color as a key reveal from a fanfic, then a more "modern" audience might find it easier to recognize silver and expect something of an explanation for anything else.

Leftenant Gashrog
13-01-2008, 12:51
well in the previous editions, when GK were an addon to imperial forces they used to be primarily black army with trim.

That should be previous edition, they were mostly depicted in silver armour with gold trims prior to 3rd edition, although the Genestealer suppliment for Space Hulk stated they wore baroque gold armour.

The Guy
13-01-2008, 17:15
OK thanks guys :D. IT's not that I don't like the color scheme I just think it's a bit boring for uber ubermarines [and I'm also not very good at it]. I think my Grand master will have the first recorded armour color for GKs to show how old he is. Then a few newer ones for termies and justicars then silver for the normal dudes. So could somebody please write a list of the colours in age order? Pretty please?:angel:#

Edit: and another thing. Does all heraldry have to be red,black and white?

Chaos Undecided
13-01-2008, 17:21
I think the very first color scheme for the Grey Knights when they first appeared way back (were they in the Realms of Chaos Books? I stupidly lost my old books years ago) was actually a Dark Grey funnily enough.

Grimbad
13-01-2008, 21:08
I really like the black color scheme as it matches the Deathwatch and unifies the two as the space marine 'men in black' who deal with all the different types of inhuman creatures.

Quentin
13-01-2008, 23:44
Heraldry for Grey Knights doesn't have to be Red/White/Black it can be whatever you want it to be. However, each one is unique to the marine.