PDA

View Full Version : Psyker Powers

schoon
24-09-2005, 20:23
Aside from the powers from the various rulebooks, what other powers have people seen (or perhaps read) in other "fluff," such as Black Library novels or the small fiction blurbs that populate White Dwarf and the Codicies.

The Eisenhorn Trilogy and the Ravenor novels provide a wealth of additional material. (I particularly enjoy the temperature drop in the presence of Psykana that he introduced and has more or less become canon.)

There's the Emperor's Tarot & the tracking "bugs" from M. Watson's early works.

There's a wealth of communicative powers and telekinesis from M. Abnett.

What others have featured in fiction or fluff?

Khaine's Messenger
24-09-2005, 23:01
There's a pyrokinetic in one of the short stories in one of the anthologies; took a bullet to the head and spontaneously developed psychic powers. He never feels "cool" due to constantly tapping his inflammatory abilities....

There's the Soul Drinkers' The Hell, which is kinda a novel-version of Fear the Darkness or the DA psychic power, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 14:32
Don't forget the clairsentient or psychometric 'seance' held by the Inquisitor lady from one of the Space Wolf novels.

And incidentally the whole 'psyker ice' is something that should only be considered one potential ramification of the prolific use of psychic abilities...

Kage

Sojourner
25-09-2005, 14:44
The theme of ice and cold in magic/psychic energy/astral planes is a common one, but one I think is quite fluffy and welcome to stay. I personally enjoy the thought of teleporters and warp travel strongly integrating the idea of cold. One would have someone coming through a teleport or using a displacer field pop out on the other side encrusted with ice crystals, legs turned to jelly, gasping for breath. Unless of course you happen to be a space marine, in which case it's all ho-hum.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 15:18
Didn't say that it had to go, Sojourner, only that it should be considered only an example of one side effect of the use of psyker powers. On example. Not discarding it... ;)

Kage

Flame Boy
25-09-2005, 19:02
It would be interesting to combine this effect with the Pyrokinetic discipline... It would look to the casual observer as if the Psycher was sucking the heat out of the room and condensing it into a fireball... Would make an interesting third-party description in a novel...

CELS
25-09-2005, 19:08
There's the Eldar Farseer from 'Ghostmaker' who has the ability to trick humans into fighting for him. That would make a cool power in a game of 40k, wouldn't it? :)

Other powers in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels... the ability to create huge storms that can seriously mess up an Imperial planetary invasion.. mind control... and all the things connected to the saint, if you prefer to believe that she's just a powerful psyker rather than an avatar of the Emperor.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 19:19
Depends on what you mean by 'avatar' in that regard. Is she truly a 'house' for the spirit of the Emperor, or even a fragment of it? And even though I hate the game, you've always got the descriptions from Inquisitor...

Kage

CELS
25-09-2005, 19:47
Depends on what you mean by 'avatar' in that regard. Is she truly a 'house' for the spirit of the Emperor, or even a fragment of it? And even though I hate the game, you've always got the descriptions from Inquisitor..
Well, I tend to see her as being very closely connected to the spirit of the Emperor somehow. Infused with his power. Destecado on the other hand believes that the special status and divinity of the Saints is a result of Imperial propaganda and nothing else. Which does not to explain the things happening in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, but does fit with the 40k image in a certain way.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 19:58
Hmmn... Darned, I didn't mean to take this OffT. Sorry, schoon. Suffice to say in response to the above that it is possible for both situations to appy and, indeed, I would personally take that stance.

Kage

schoon
25-09-2005, 21:57
IIRC, Ravenor had an instance of pyro-psykana, which I'll add to the list.

Kage2020: No worries, as I think that the unintended effects of psychic powers are quite interesting as well. I agree that the psyker-ice is but one possibility, it is the only one we've seen in fluff or fiction to my knowledge.

I'd actually really like to hear if anyone remembers any others...

CELS
25-09-2005, 22:07
Oops, didn't think about that. Sorry :)

Well, there's the psychic testing by the Rune Priests in Space Wolf...

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 22:19
Well, the aforementioned Space Wolf novel, the 'artefact finding' seance was associated with glowing eyes, etc.

That also reminds me of the 'autoseance' held by Eisenhorn on at least two occasions.

Kage

Goblinardo
25-09-2005, 22:37
There's that piece of fluff where Kryptman is researching a Fleshborer and brings a psyker to do some psychometry (to "read" an object) on it. Poor guy gets possessed by the Hive Mind and fires on the Inquisitor with the 'Borer, then takes a bolt round to his chest.

Kage2020
25-09-2005, 23:34
Which has some interesting implications about the nature of the Hive Mind, but that's probably not something that GW want you to think about! :D

Kage

Goblinardo
26-09-2005, 00:35
Ayup. That same article had a Tyranid hunter-killer organism specifically designed to kill Kryptman after the 'Borer incident.

It kind of clashes with the current "animal uber-organism of gribbly doom" fluff for Tyranids, methinks.

Sojourner
26-09-2005, 10:07
They thought they could go toe to toe with Kryptman?

The man is a living legend. Scourge of the xeno.

schoon
26-09-2005, 10:31
The "change in the eyes" is another classic from many sci-fi sources, Babylon 5 being the one that stands out most recently in my mind.

The William King Space Wolf novels, to be fair, were sometimes very good and sometimes iffy on their adherance to GW's estblished fluff, but thanks for the reference - I'd forgotten about those.

Kage2020
26-09-2005, 22:50
Yes, those lovely black or glowing eyes depending on what the Teep was up to or, rather, whether they were playing around with the Vorlons. Of course, Cherubael also borrows from this in the Eisenhorn books.

Kage

Flame Boy
27-09-2005, 18:26
IIRC, Ravenor had an instance of pyro-psykana, which I'll add to the list.

Kage2020

Well, I remember in the first Ravenor novel when Kinsky leaves his body and chases Ravenor, he causes a great deal of unrelated damage and I think a few people die simply from the power of his psychic presence, heart attacks or strokes or something like that. That is some exceptionally powerful and unusual side-effects, though.

Kage2020
27-09-2005, 22:00
Eisenhorn uses 'psychokinesis' in the third book...

The warp votex resulting from possession, as well, now that I think about it.

Basically, look through your average 'spell book' from a fantasy RPG and you'll find the various descriptions of powers utilised by psykers in the 40k universe! ;)

Kage

schoon
28-09-2005, 14:59
Basically, look through your average 'spell book' from a fantasy RPG and you'll find the various descriptions of powers utilised by psykers in the 40k universe! ;)
I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Kage. I think that Psykana in the 40K universe are more limited than your average fantasy RPG, including the new version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

While the tabletop game has more fantasy-like powers, the fiction & fluff tends to restrict itself to the "psionics" of film and TV fame.

Sai-Lauren
28-09-2005, 16:09
Yes, those lovely black or glowing eyes depending on what the Teep was up to or, rather, whether they were playing around with the Vorlons.
Kage
And dark willow in Buffy (end season 6).

Necromunda has three types of wyrd/psyker, telekenetics, pyrokenetics and beastmasters (presumably animal empaths/telepaths), plus a whole host of minor abilities.

But in most fiction, psychic abilities tend to split into what can be considered separate "schools" - telepathy/esp, telekenisis, empathy, precognition and "weird stuff" - like teleportation, pyrokenisis, weather control, astral projection and so on.

There's actually a couple of very old WD articles (Round issue 80 or so) that tried to rebuild the psionics system for AD&D that goes into this kind of schools theory, but could easily be applied to any other system.

And I do like the idea of a pyrokene essentially pulling the energy out of the immediate area into themselves before launching a massive flame strike, frost forms on all surfaces, peoples breaths steam, then suddenly whoomph, everything around the firing line instantly defrosts, whilst everything behind them is still covered in a thin layer of ice. :D

Kage2020
28-09-2005, 23:20
I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Kage.
I believe it is permissible to disagree with me, just not adviseable...

Only kidding, it's not really permissible to disagree with me... ;)

(And, just in case it was missed, that is all a bit of a joke. Disagreement and subsequent tempered discussion is one of the best ways of developing your interpretation of the 40k universe. I know that it has changed my view in the past.)

I think that Psykana in the 40K universe are more limited than your average fantasy RPG, including the new version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.
And I'm going to disagree right back at you. Kinda. For me the selection of 'magic' over 'psionics' is more a result of feel: if you suitably 'sell' your magic it sounds more like 40k psykers than most psionics systems that I've encountered. Part of that is systemic, i.e. a result of the system that I select to use for representing the 40k universe. ;)

With that said, it is fairly easy to chop and change most spell lists to get a list of effects that are similar to, say, the more generic use of 'pyrokinesis' or somesuch. That and, again, it 'conforms' to the feel of the 40k universe.

It's all about how you sell things.

While the tabletop game has more fantasy-like powers, the fiction & fluff tends to restrict itself to the "psionics" of film and TV fame.
Only the Abnett ones, and even then it all depends.

Kage

schoon
30-09-2005, 00:00
It's all about how you sell things.
You are correct there. :)

Of course, oddly enough, I feel that a limited version of the Ars Magica rules gives the best feel, IMO.

vladimier
30-09-2005, 03:54
There is a bit in the novel "Lord of the Night" by Simon Spurrier , I have some misgivings about happenings in this book, but still a good story none the less. The main character is a "witch" of the inquisition.. well ill stop there in case you havent read it yet, but yeah some good psycher stuff there also.

Emperor's Light
01-10-2005, 19:58
Slight tangent...I always imagined that even the "in-game" powers represent a variety of powers that have similar effect.

The chase in Ravenor, and the way psychic combat was depicted, reminded me a lot of how hacking is depicted in cyberpunk games. Seems like psykers can "hack" other minds.

Kage2020
02-10-2005, 15:02
You are correct there. :)

Of course, oddly enough, I feel that a limited version of the Ars Magica rules gives the best feel, IMO.
That's basically a verb/noun approach? That also works but is arguably just a non-canonised spell list... ;)

Kage

schoon
02-10-2005, 21:09
It is the "Verb / Noun" approach, and the thing I think that's nice about it is that it allows a very freeform approach to "casting," which seems to follow the Black Library literature stuff. If you can think of it, you can try it (though sometimes with an abysmal chance of success).

By limiting the verbs and/or nouns available, you can tailor to specific backgrounds. In other words "Beast" has very little applicability to the 40K background (at least in a good-guys-centric way), so there's no need to include it in a listing for non-corrupted Imperial characters.

Kage2020
02-10-2005, 22:58
Again, it's a preference thing. I've seen the approach and decided against it, more so given what might be taken as the canonised approach to all other activity in the 40k universe. But is that a surprise? There are, in general, many ways to achieve the same flavour depending on how you interpret things, what type of effect you're after, and just what kind of spin you like... ;)

Kage