PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars?

Knights of Requiem
13-01-2008, 10:46
Has GW ever considered a Star Wars supplement, along the lines of the LOTR game? I personal would love that idea, with the chance to collect armies of everyones favorite Star Wars army, or formation.

If such an idea occured, would people collect it? I imagine if they could acquire the rights, and followed the lines of the LOTR game, it could turn into quite an enjoyable hobby?

What are other peoples thoughts on the Star Wars Strategy Battle Game?

Gaebriel
13-01-2008, 10:52
If I'm rightly informed, the license for a Star Wars tabletop game is alread taken, and the game is produced by WotC.

But to answer the question from my point of view - I think the/a Star Wars strategy game would be fun, especially if the mechancis could/can be incorporated into the RPG. I would want/test it for the right skirmish mechanisms and expect it to display the quick action from the films. I would also want/test it for a possibility to branch out into larger scale warfare.

There was also a much older version of a Star Wars themed miniatures game by West End Games (Star Wars Miniature Battles) - the (somewhat mediocre) models were produced by Grenadier.

RobC
13-01-2008, 11:23
There's a shaggy dog story about how GW lost the opportunity to buy the Star Wars licence in the 80s. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember it nor find a link online.

Nephilim of Sin
13-01-2008, 12:05
If I'm rightly informed, the license for a Star Wars tabletop game is alread taken, and the game is produced by WotC.

But to answer the question from my point of view - I think the/a Star Wars strategy game would be fun, especially if the mechancis could/can be incorporated into the RPG. I would want/test it for the right skirmish mechanisms and expect it to display the quick action from the films. I would also want/test it for a possibility to branch out into larger scale warfare.

There was also a much older version of a Star Wars themed miniatures game by West End Games (Star Wars Miniature Battles) - the (somewhat mediocre) models were produced by Grenadier.

Correct. Decipher lost thier liscence for anything Star Wars, as did West End Games, when it was decided that WotC would take over. Now, anything Star Wars is done through Hasbro, or WotC (which, as all know, is owned by Hasbro). Although, personally, I think that Decipher made a better card game than anything WotC could ever produce, including Magic.

Templar Ben
13-01-2008, 12:38
Actually though cards and minis are separate licenses. WotC has Star Wars Minis and Star Wars Minis Starship Battles. I think there is another company that sells punch out cards that you can fit together to make 3D ships for combat. It is not a violation of WotC license because the other company has the card license.

For some reason i am thinking WizKids owns it.

Cypher
14-01-2008, 05:39
It's the Hasbro thing: they own probably the largest 3rd party SW license and Im guessing they arent going to give it up anytime soon. And because Hasbro own(?) WotC...

Shame, I reckon a GW SW title could be really cool. Id love to see some real quality SW minis at least: the WotC ones arent anything special (although the AT-AT is very cool).

starlight
14-01-2008, 05:52
A) GW needs to focus on their own sandbox before they take on any more projects.
B) Hasbro wouldn't allow it.
C) Would you *really* want GW to do it? Really? I wouldn't. (see *A* above;))

Sauron90
14-01-2008, 06:57
I wouldent like GW doing a Star Wars game, they would find a way to screw it up completly like the rest of there games.

reds8n
14-01-2008, 09:18
Rending Jawas FTW !

Although I'd love a kit of multi part Stormtroopers akin to the marine kit.:skull:

Didn't Green Ronin or Black Industries get the rights for the DC superhero RPG ? Or am I forever destined to lack 28MM plastic Justice League figures ?:(

RobC
14-01-2008, 09:39
Didn't Green Ronin or Black Industries get the rights for the DC superhero RPG ?Black Industries did, yes, but they've done nothing with it. I suspect it was an acquisition by the former head of BI, and they simply aren't sure what to do with it. The BI team is tiny, and they don't have the resources to manage another RPG at the mo, I reckon.

reds8n
14-01-2008, 10:19
Bah, that's what I was afraid of. the WFRP release schedule looks a little thin at the moment..... but I'm hoping that might change, a good system like that deserves more than 1 book this year.

Wonder if I could persuade Mayfair to take it back again ? Gosh I'm hopelessly optimistic.:o

I guess you could convert the MUmak to a bantha pretty easily .

Killgore
14-01-2008, 12:48
Bah, that's what I was afraid of. the WFRP release schedule looks a little thin at the moment..... but I'm hoping that might change, a good system like that deserves more than 1 book this year.

alot of resources have been taken up with the 40k rpg i guess

Olith
14-01-2008, 19:54
I imagine the requirements Lucas Licensing would demand GW to adhere to would make it a pretty terrible experience anyway, for both GW and the customer.

t-tauri
14-01-2008, 22:10
GW did produce some minis as part of a bid for the Star Wars license a very long time ago....
Stormtrooper (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Stormtrooper_%28Star_Wars%29.jpg) in 25/28mm and epic scale walker (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_War_Walker_%28Star_Wars%29.jpg). Nothing ever came of it.

I can't see the licence changing hands now as it's quite a good seller and I doubt GW would spend the money in the current climate unless a new film series appeared. I'd guess GW will be expending their energies to keep hold of LotR and the Hobbit licence rather than overextending further for something which would directly compete with 40k. Doubtless GW Star Wars would also not be allowed to be used with 40k minis or rules.

Nephilim of Sin
14-01-2008, 22:28
GW did produce some minis as part of a bid for the Star Wars license a very long time ago....
Stormtrooper (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_Stormtrooper_%28Star_Wars%29.jpg) in 25/28mm and epic scale walker (http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Unreleased_-_War_Walker_%28Star_Wars%29.jpg). Nothing ever came of it.

I can't see the licence changing hands now as it's quite a good seller and I doubt GW would spend the money in the current climate unless a new film series appeared. I'd guess GW will be expending their energies to keep hold of LotR and the Hobbit licence rather than overextending further for something which would directly compete with 40k. Doubtless GW Star Wars would also not be allowed to be used with 40k minis or rules.

That Stormtrooper looked very nice. Not to happy about the robotic-puppy 'walker' though.

As Hasbro has the license for the toys, WotC has the card game, Star Wars is not going anywhere anytime soon. Of course, Marines already look like beefy stormtroopers, the Steel Legion Sentinal is an AT-ST (don't know how they got away with that), so just using the mini's that are out there for Star Wars can work for those that want to play it. Orks can be Gamorreans, a Battle-Droid themed Necron army is possible, etc.

The only real limit would be the spaceships. However, what will GW venture to next? I agree with Starlight that they need to tighten the reins on their own product, but I also think they need something to spark more interest while they are doing that.

RadiO
15-01-2008, 00:06
Problems:
* Lucasfilm would probably insist on the prequels being covered on an equal basis as the original trilogy. In theory, that would be OK. In practice it seems to result in games being flooded with incredibly obscure and naff-looking units that nobody gives a cuss about.
* Tedious marketing stuff like the "Special Ship" syndrome. Any Corellian Corvette must be the Tantive IV. Any Super Star Destroyer must be the Executor. Any Nebulon-B f.rigate must be the Rebel Medical f.rigate. Darth Vader's TIE and Slave 1 would be among the first units in any starship game, yet again, even though they're one-offs and don't really fit into a wargame particularly well.

Steel Rabbit
15-01-2008, 02:59
No, 'cause I think Star Wars is dumb. Not meaning to troll, that's my honest opinion that I've held since I found out what Star Wars was, and that's why I wouldn't buy any GW Star Wars stuff, should reality ever shift and such an occurrence occurs.

selfconstrukt
15-01-2008, 03:47
Star Wars game? HELL NO! GW will just screw it up and we'll all wind up just complaining about it here.

Star Wars miniatures? Absolutely, GW still has some great sculptors and it would be nice to see well detailed models. Ones not covered in skulls, I mean!:rolleyes:

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
15-01-2008, 05:45
Star Wars game? HELL NO! GW will just screw it up and we'll all wind up just complaining about it here.

Star Wars miniatures? Absolutely, GW still has some great sculptors and it would be nice to see well detailed models. Ones not covered in skulls, I mean!:rolleyes:

WHAAAAAAAAAT??!! Everything that is cool is covered in skulls. You should see my '03 Neon...

Anywho, I would not like to see GeeDub get their grubby little paws on Star Wars. As was said before, they have two whole universes of their own and J.R.R. Tolkien's IP to muck around in, and they seem to take forever to get anything done in those areas. Sheesh, I wonder what the hell they spend all their time on at HQ...

Jedi152
15-01-2008, 07:25
Anywho, I would not like to see GeeDub get their grubby little paws on Star Wars. As was said before, they have two whole universes of their own and J.R.R. Tolkien's IP to muck around in, and they seem to take forever to get anything done in those areas. Sheesh, I wonder what the hell they spend all their time on at HQ...
:p They chuck out releases like no-ones business!

I suspect it's quite a surprising amount of work getting so many releases each month.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
15-01-2008, 07:31
:p They chuck out releases like no-ones business!

I suspect it's quite a surprising amount of work getting so many releases each month.

You know what? I GUARANTEE that there are HUNDREDS of fans out there willing to play test, write rules, background, submit ideas, or do whatever, without even getting paid if it meant that Games Workshop would get their stuff out faster. Guarantee it. GeeDub could have all the oversight and yes/no power, and the fans would submit, submit, submit, because they just want it to get done.

DarkSoldier
16-01-2008, 08:23
Actually though cards and minis are separate licenses. WotC has Star Wars Minis and Star Wars Minis Starship Battles. I think there is another company that sells punch out cards that you can fit together to make 3D ships for combat. It is not a violation of WotC license because the other company has the card license.

For some reason i am thinking WizKids owns it.
You are right, sir.

I like where the SW license is right now, because I prefer getting seven minis without mould lines for my CAD20.

W0lf
16-01-2008, 12:19
when hasbro buys out Gw (it will in a few years) then we will see it.

It will make billions and attract tons of new hobbyists. Hasbro will then support it properly and the buble will be sustained ;)

Prices will drop and we'll all be happeir gamers :P

RobC
16-01-2008, 14:13
when hasbro buys out Gw (it will in a few years) then we will see it.Hasbro? The same company that has managed to rile the fans of its biggest niche game (D&D) by releasing a new edition only a few years after the last update? How is that any better than GW?

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
16-01-2008, 16:14
Hasbro? The same company that has managed to rile the fans of its biggest niche game (D&D) by releasing a new edition only a few years after the last update? How is that any better than GW?

I agree. Hasbro managed to screw up all the D&D miniatures, I don't want them screwing with GeeDub products. Hey kids, now your Space Marines come in pre-painted bendy plastic collector packs! You can't buy a sergeant, you have to buy enough packs until you randomly get one or trade with your friends! Also, the paint jobs suck! We hate you, kids!