PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions!

twisted_angel
13-01-2008, 20:07
1. Animosty - what happens if a unit rolls a 6 and that takes them inside another friendly unit?

2. If you give a character magical armour which says 6+ save and can be combined with others, and then you give that same character light armour will his save still be 6+ (haha you wasted points) or 5+ ?

3 Random but.. can wood elf nobles (without a kindred) join a unit of wardancers?

thx in advance!

theunwantedbeing
13-01-2008, 20:19
1. Possibly works like stupidty and both units cant do anything untill their next turn?

2. Ward saves dont stack, BrB page 30

3. There's no rule preventing non-wardancer character's from joining wardancer units as far as I can see in the wood elf armybook. Although wardancer character's arent allowed to join any units other than wardancers.

WLBjork
13-01-2008, 20:23
2) Depends what the item is. Page 121 defines how magic armour works.

DeathlessDraich
13-01-2008, 20:32
1) Normal movement restrictions still apply to animosity

2) The term armour will be clarified in future army books in the same way as the High Elf book - Armour = body armour. Magical [Body] armour can be combined with a mundane shield; a magical helm can be combined with body armour when the phrase "combined with *other* armour" is used - other = not the same type.
In general, a magical shield or helm plus mundane body armour's enhances armour save but magical [body] armour replaces its mundane equivalent and will not improve it.
The item description has to be referred to.

3) Yes

twisted_angel
13-01-2008, 20:47
An example with the item question, Wailing Helm from the VC book. It says it gives the wearer a 6+ armour save and can be worn in addition to normal armour, so if I equip that and light armour in effect I will have 2 6+ saves will this combine to make one 5+ save or just the one 6+ ??

on the animosity note - does that mean the unit will move inside the unit and so will go just past the other friendly unit?

theunwantedbeing
13-01-2008, 20:57
Armour saves add together.
So the wailing helm plus light armour = a 5+ save

You cannot move through your own unit unless you are fleeing, the units will either stop or walk into each other and not be able to move further that turn.(unless they flee)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
13-01-2008, 21:25
An example with the item question, Wailing Helm from the VC book. It says it gives the wearer a 6+ armour save and can be worn in addition to normal armour, so if I equip that and light armour in effect I will have 2 6+ saves will this combine to make one 5+ save or just the one 6+ ??

on the animosity note - does that mean the unit will move inside the unit and so will go just past the other friendly unit?

I think the confusion was, at first, what kind of save were you combining. But yes, magical armor and mundane armor saves can be combined into better saves. Just not armor and ward saves.

And no, you would not move inside on the friendly unit. You can never move inside another unit. I think your choices would be to stop short of the friendly unit, or, as in fleeing or other compulsory movement, be moved all the way over the friendly unit. I'm sure it sounds too nice and almost abusive to some people, but how often does it actually happen? Anyway, that's the way it seems like it should work to me. If you can get so scared and worked up that you can run through your buddies, then you can get so excited and anxious to crush the enemy that you run through your buddies as well. Someone please point out a specific contradiction to this if there is one, I just haven't seen it.

TheDarkDaff
14-01-2008, 05:04
I think the confusion was, at first, what kind of save were you combining. But yes, magical armor and mundane armor saves can be combined into better saves. Just not armor and ward saves.

Just to clarify this a bit. Armour saves stack but what armour you can put on a model does not(there are the odd exceptions like Sea Dragon Cloaks). Basically your character can have a suit of body armour + a shield + a magic helm if available and the save would add together. To use the Wailing helm as an example you can give a character the wailing helm (6+), Light armour (6+) and a shield (6+) to give a total save of 4+.

superknijn
14-01-2008, 07:10
Well, there also are things like gauntlets or boots, although those only are armour if they are in the magical armour section (and usually give a 6+ armour save).

Braad
14-01-2008, 09:10
IIRC when they stumble into each other, they just stop. But this should be clearly described in the army book.

T10
14-01-2008, 10:41
1. Animosty - what happens if a unit rolls a 6 and that takes them inside another friendly unit?

2. If you give a character magical armour which says 6+ save and can be combined with others, and then you give that same character light armour will his save still be 6+ (haha you wasted points) or 5+ ?

3 Random but.. can wood elf nobles (without a kindred) join a unit of wardancers?

thx in advance!

I know these have already been answered, but what the hell.

1. If the unit is compelled to move "into" a unit it will stop when it comes into contact with it. This has no further effect and both units are free to move normally in the movement phase.

2. Armours stack when you are allowed to combine them. A character might take a mundane heavy armour (5+), a shield (6+) and a horse withour barding (6+). Throw in the Helm of the Skaven Slayer (6+) and the character has a total save of 2+.

The method of arriving at this number is a bit arcane:

A 6+ save is "no save" improved by +1.
A 5+ save is "no save" improved by +2.
A 4+ save is "no save" improved by +3.

Add up all the improvements and the example above breaks down as follows:

Heavy armour: +2 (5+ save)
Shield: +1 (4+ save)
Horse: +1 (3+ save)
Helm: +1 (2+ save)

3. The Wardancers do not themselves have any specific rules that place restrictions on who can join them. They are skirmishers, however, so can only be joined by US1 characters.

-T10

twisted_angel
14-01-2008, 11:34
thanks guys, I understand now!

the saves stack but I cant have say magic body armour which gives a 6+ and then light armour as this would be 2 body armours.. I play VC and think the new book out in march will be alot clearer (fingers crossed)