PDA

View Full Version : First try at Dwarfs

Banimal
13-01-2008, 20:08
Here's my first attempt at a 2000 pt. Dwarf list that I'm working towards. I played fantasy years ago and I'm only just getting back into it. I don't have many of these models, so feel free to say what I should or should not buy.

Dwarf Lord: Axe with master rune of Skalf Black Hammer and a Rune of Speed, Gromril armor with rune of resistance and Rune of Preservation, Talisman with rune of the Furnace, Shield Bearers-295 pts

Dwarf Thane: Hand Weapon with Rune of Cleaving, Shield, Gromril Armor with Rune of Stone-92 pts

Runesmith: Hand weapon with Rune of spell breaking and Rune of Stone-100 pts

19 Warriors: Shields, Command-196 pts
10 Thunderers: shields-150 pts
10 Thunderers:shields-150 pts
18 Longbeards: Shields, Command, Runic standard with Ancestor Runes-239 pts
15 Ironbreakers, Command -225
15 Slayers-165 pts
Cannon, Rune of Reloading -100 pts
2 Bolt Throwers, both with engineers-120 pts
Organ Gun-120 pts
-1998 pts

Wolfmother
13-01-2008, 20:17
dont take shields on thunderers id probably drop the slayers and take more iron breakers
also make the boltthrowers s7 and id be tempted to pu the warriors into one big unit

or drop one unit make the other up to 24 then expand on the long beards

destroyerhive
13-01-2008, 21:14
Yh id do wot wolfmother says. Dwarf Bolt Throwers own!!! And giving em a rune makes em magical and strength 7 with rune of penetrating so say goodbye 2 chariots/etheral creatures:D

AFoolProofPlan
13-01-2008, 21:29
Dwarf Lord: Axe with master rune of Skalf Black Hammer and a Rune of Speed, Gromril armor with rune of resistance and Rune of Preservation, Talisman with rune of the Furnace, Shield Bearers-295 pts
I'd consider taking out MroSkaff. It let's you wound on 2+, but a GW will let you do that most of the times. If you're worried about T6 or Monsters, there are better combinations. But I like trying out different combination myself, so I'll leave it to you to mess around with different runes. .

Dwarf Thane: Hand Weapon with Rune of Cleaving, Shield, Gromril Armor with Rune of Stone-92 pts
Good

Good

I'm assuming Thane and Runesmith goes here eh?

10 Thunderers: shields-150 pts
10 Thunderers:shields-150 pts
Drop the shield on these guys. At 2k, there are better things to worry about than your Thunderers having +1 to their save. Also I'd consider taking out 1 unit and replacing it with Quarrellers. You already have enough shooty things to take care of armoured stuff. So a unit of these guys will save you some points.

18 Longbeards: Shields, Command, Runic standard with Ancestor Runes-239 pts
Good unit. It's not a big thing, but I would recommend you try out MroGrungni, or perhaps RoStoicism. I hate it when Elite troops run for the hill just cuz their outnumbered by 1 against fear causing units.

15 Ironbreakers, Command -225

15 Slayers-165 pts

Cannon, Rune of Reloading -100 pts
Add RoForging on it. It'll hardly miss or blow up.

2 Bolt Throwers, both with engineers-120 pts
Like wolf said, RoPenetration is in order.

Organ Gun-120 pts

-1998 pts

It's a pretty solid list overall. I'd try to fit in MroDismay or MroChallenge. You have a lot of shooty things, so being able to control 1 turn of movement will give you some extra shots. Anyways, that's my 2 cent

Banimal
13-01-2008, 23:32
Thanks for all your advice. I've edited the list to take into account the runes for all the units, and I've dropped the slayers. let me know what you think of this updated one. I'd like to give the ironbreakers some runic standard but I don't know where I'd get the points. Any suggestions?

Dwarf Lord: Axe with Master Rune of breaking, Gromril armor with rune of resistance and Rune of Preservation, Talisman with rune of the Furnace, Shield Bearers-260 pts

10 Thunderers-140 pts
10 Quarrelers-110 pts
18 Longbeards: Shields, Command, Runic standard with rune of stoicism-254 pts

15 Ironbreakers, Command-225

Cannon, rune of Forging-125 pts

2 Bolt Throwers, both with engineers: 2 Runes of Penetrating and 1 rune of burning-175
Organ Gun-120 pts
-1993 pts

Dead Man Walking
13-01-2008, 23:57
I always put shields on my thunderers, a 4+ save in combat is better than a 6+ save and it only costs 1 point per guy. 10 extra points on a unit is not going to break the bank. Will it help them survive a heavy calvary charge? No. Will it help you survive a harpy charge? YES! T4, WS4 and 4+ save is nothing to laugh at.

I also dont like quarellers. extra range is great and cheapness helps but truth be told lthunderers can make an infantry unit 20 strong take a panic check from wounds every turn, quarrellers can not. Hitting on 3's/4's and -2 to armor as opposed to hitting on 4's/5's and -1? I place them in front of my 20 man infantry blocks and stand and shoot. I expect them to run and my opponent to over run into my dwarfs, then I flank charge on my turn.

Dont combine 2 units of 20 dwarfs into 40. Thats a 400 point loss when you loose combat and you will loose combat without help. Keep 20 men per unit as more units=more tactical options. I have had success using 10 man units as flanking units. They dont have to pack a wollop, they just have to remain US 5+ to deny ranks. Dwarves dont win by killing things, they win in combat resolution. Stick with hand weapon shield combo at all times.

My personal favorite unit of all times is Hammerers. With your lords ldrship 10 and stubborn with a BSB nearby (take the rune to immune to fear/terror and breaktest on 1d6 and this unit is a cement wall. It is not going anywhere. While slayers sound great they are the first unit your enemy shoots/magics because it can not get magic resist banners and no armor=easy kill points.

Dont take MR skalf on lord, in fact defencive runes, shieldbearers and a greatweapon are all you need. Again its not about killing things, its about winning combat resolution by not taking damage. The greatweapon and shieldbearers will do enough damage on thier own. I usually field him with +1 toughness, rune of stone, immune to poison and killing blow, 4+ ward save and magic resistance 1.

However I noticed that the lord cost a little over 300 points and I could field a tooled up hammerer unit instead, now I run 2 hammerer units and a thane.

Also conscider the master rune of challenge. With this puppy you can make your opponent charge the bearer when you want them too. Anytime you dictate your opponents charges is a time when you mess up his entire turn. This is also useful for pulling in tough characters on flying mounts. I had an opponent put 2 units of chaos heavy calv (each 10 strong!) on one end of the table. I answered this with a hammerer unit with thane with this rune and longbeards near them. My opponent intended to charge each with a seperate unit of knights, but I made his inside unit charge my outside unit (hammerers) and so he declared both charges with the knights on the hammerers (20 strong). I survived with 12 guys, rolled 1 d6 due to banner (which on stubborn 9 is an autopass) and then flank hit him with longbeards and chased both units with a lord mage off the table edge. AT that point the game was over in turn 3. Hurrah!