PDA

View Full Version : Need your advice on Chariot of Nurgle

shen-yong
25-09-2005, 02:13
Hello Everyone!

I'm planning to include a Chariot of Nurgle in my nurglesque daemonic legion, but first I would like to know the general consensus about its worthyness and the most useful configuration of it. One or two BoN, w/ or w/o DHerald/BSB?

So, what are your experiences/opinion?

Trunks
25-09-2005, 04:08
It is strictly inferior to Plagueriders for the points. I'm not saying it is unusable, and it is nice as a conversion piece.

If taking one you should always add in an extra beast, there is no reason not to.

I would personally not put your herald on one.

shen-yong
25-09-2005, 15:47
The main reason for building one is the visual boost that it can give to the army and the fun of converting it. Plus I have an incomplete, unassembled orc chariot. But the two BoN version would deserve something more seriously (sickly :D) looking chariot IMO. Hmm.

My only arguments against going for the second Beast, that it requires one more Beast (obviously), that means further expenses and that such a big base can be a serious drawback sometimes.

Putting a Hearlad on it would make it an even bigger point sink indeed, but upgrading him to BSB and giving him a nicely done Plague Banner would elevate the whole model to a great army-centerpiece. Besides, this would seriously improve the Banners' usefulness. :evil:

Trunks
25-09-2005, 18:28
The point of taking two is that you are already taking something that is inferior to PlagueRiders, you might as well make it as good as you can. Plus, from the conversion standpoint, it makes it much nice as a centerpiece because it makes it a larger/more impressive piece.

To alter your chariot you can use some plasticard to widen the base of the chariot, that's really all you need.

The Banner Bearer is actually most useful in a Plaguebearer regiment.

Lord_Sanguinius
30-09-2005, 05:06
I'm a Tzeentch person but i think that a nurgle chariot could do some good on the battlefield, just need to hide it from anything that has strength 7 or higher or bye bye chariot. its a good model to make as is all the special chaos god chariots. And warhammer newbies can get pretty intimidated by them.

Trunks
30-09-2005, 05:18
The big problem is that it moves significantly slower than your infantry, which is bad in an already slow moving force.

samael
30-09-2005, 07:52
Well I've got one, almost finished actually, and I do find that people pay huge amounts of attention to the thing, thus not concentrating on the more dangerous parts of the army.

Furthermore it is endeed a great centerpiece since the whole thing is HUGE and you can really go to town converting the thing (taking care of the whole "do you have conversions in your army" thing, if you go to tournaments)

Finally, if the thing makes contact, even without having the charge, a possible 14 strength 4 poisoned attacks is nothing to scoff at.

shen-yong
04-10-2005, 23:04
Thanks for all the input!

Now the only question is, how far should I go with the conversion work? Perhaps the throne from the Palanquin, put on the chariot, pulled by two old BoN would fit the bill.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
04-10-2005, 23:19
For the beasts, why not just find a couple of juicy Slugs in your Garden, and varnish the buggers?

Not as if they are much cop for anything else.

Yes, I do have something against Slugs!

shen-yong
04-10-2005, 23:28
It's too time consuming to find the right sized slugs in a city. :P

Besides those are not GW models, so probably would be banned from official tourneys.

Trunks
05-10-2005, 02:07
Find the Slugs in a GW. I'm sure some of the employees will at least look like one :D

shen-yong
05-10-2005, 07:02
Good idea. :) Unfortunately we have just indy stores in the country. :D

samael
05-10-2005, 18:03
Thanks for all the input!

Now the only question is, how far should I go with the conversion work? Perhaps the throne from the Palanquin, put on the chariot, pulled by two old BoN would fit the bill.

Ok just finished mine so her I go, it's quite a list.
And remember I also did 4 plaguriders in this way, with the use of loads of other arms and bits.

I got for the chariot

lower Body of Galrauch 2*

upper body of same 2*

Any head of a greater deamon of nurgle old or new will do as main head 2*

Head of the tongue of of the earlier version of the gr.unclean one as secondary head for one of the beasties.

Head of the new chaos spawn as secondary head for the other one.

Galrauchs front claws 4*

Galrauchs tail to use as extra arm (place in one of his wing slots)

the arm of one of those mud beasties from albion (forgot the name) to use as another extra arm

the arms of a classic gr unclean one to use as the extra arms on the second beast.

The tentacle arm of the spawn as a tale.

Tentacles of the old spawn as a tale 3*.

Orc chariot

Galrauchs horns on the yoke.

Head of the beast of nurgle as the front of the chariot

The claws of the spawn, because I could, on the chariot

3 bells from the zombie sprue

2 plaguebearers

1 nurgling

Numerous pieces of chain

Tonnes of green stuff

Lots of balsa wood

One day when I get rich I'll take a picture with a proper camera an place it here

Izram
05-10-2005, 20:27
I use one in my army (almost purley for fluff purposes, it really is inferior to plague riders).

I don't suggest the extra beast, if not for the extra time/money than for the points cost. Keeping the cost down makes it a lower target priority, and less of a pain to lose it. I don't like jacking the cost up on it because the extra d6+1 attacks arn't worth the increased price, especially because neither is going to attack anyways should it be charged in the rear or flank.

As for putting the herald in it, its fun, ive tried it, but a bad idea and completely hit or miss. Either your enemy cannot deal with him (ie no easy strength 7 on it) or they can. The banner bearer in the flank of a unit is a nice move, but its too unreliable (especially at M6).

So, in short,
(plague-riders) > (chariot) > (2beast chariot) > (herald w/chariot) > (herald with banner in chariot) > (herald in 2 beast chariot) > (herald with banner in 2 beast chariot)

As for modelling; I included a chariot to represent a minor character in my armies fluff: The Nurgling king; so my chariot looks accordingly. Enough nurglings to pull it to justify d6 strength4 attacks and a fatass nurgling big enough for 2 strength 4 attacks:eek:.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Izram/Fantasy/ErishrGal2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/Izram/Fantasy/ErishrGal.jpg

Not really practical if you have no fluff for it though.
And gamewise not really practical at all. But they are fun to make and play with, and arn't such a no-brainer as Plague riders (which i don't use at all because i feel that they are a bit of a crutch).

NOTE* dont bother reading this post just know that:
Plageriders are better than chariots
Dont pack too many points into them if you use the chariot(s)
Whatever you do, have fun.