9 Wardancers
Bladesinger

9 Wardancers
Bladesinger

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous
musician, standard bearer, Wild Hunter

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Currently it's 2480 points, and I'd like to wittle it down to 2000. Any suggestions? I'll accept any advice, including "take out this and put in this".

My current game plan is to just slow down the enemy's units as much as possible, except one, which I allow to come close so I can attack it with the large unit of Eternal Guard with the Highborn leading them, and a flank by at least the Wild Riders.

I would even accept taking out the Eternal Guard and changing the setup of the Highborn if this is a bad idea.

User Name
25-09-2005, 05:42
drop the eternal gaurd to 19, the driads to 7 or 8 each, same with wardancers mabey, and a spellsinger

try to get some treekin, they are by far the most helpful unit and only reliable tarpit unit avalable to the WE. They are just viscious and sometimre underestimated... I know I wont make that mistake again

xowainx
25-09-2005, 08:55
Yeah, drop one unit of Wardancers, cut the size of the eternal guard and i'd only take one unit of Glade Riders if I was going to use them.

Deadseed
25-09-2005, 16:42
I've heard Glade Riders are good to slow the enemy down by forcing them to charge them then fleeing. I think if I want to fight one unit at a time it would be good to have as much to slow and confuse the enemy as possible.

With only one Spellsinger would I have enough magic to get a lot of Tree Singing spells off? I think moving a Forest to block an enemy unit might be one of the best ways to slow them, especially if I can damage them with Tree Singing after that.

chbster
25-09-2005, 18:59
Dont count on moving the trees. Its nice if it works on the battle field, but dont count on it. And no with two casters you do not have enough to play around with the wood too much. Especially if you want to run combos, using damage spells after moving the wood. Maybe if you meet a totally non-magic army but else dont count on it.
If you would have an old Treeman then maybe but else...

The mages you need for defence.
Put in another Scroll, you will need it. The biggest enemy of WE at the moment is heavy magic. Both the Dryads and the WDs get fried in no time. Be careful.

And keep the Gladeriders. They might win the battle for you. You can controll so much with them. Best for me has always been the ones where all but one got shot out. Running all alone over the battle field blocking everything called marching. Even though with two eagles you might also run with just one, thing is just eagles dont shoot.
Another important thing for GR is to give the much needed flank charge to take out the ranks, which the scirmishers cant do. So i would keep them.

Maybe also get some more WRs giving them a bit more staying power.
If needed kicking out one department of GG.
But else i think it looks good.

Dooppie
25-09-2005, 20:02
If I am right the 24 Eternal Guard
musician, standard bearer, Eternal, Faoghir banner
is not 416 but 368 points

drop the: Faoghir banner
You have 2 units of 10 dryads..make them each 8..drop 1 wardancer unit.
Keep the wardancers small and drop the amount around 6...
9 wardancers in 1 unit is too big and I prefer 2 units of 5 wardancers then one of 10 :P

that's all what I can say. ;) :)

Deadseed
26-09-2005, 00:44
Thanks for the advice, and please keep it coming anyone who has anything to add, or anyone that disagrees with what other people have said here. I haven't played yet so any advice would help.

Sinew
26-09-2005, 14:08
Apologies in advance if any of this seems patronising, but you said you haven't played yet so I thought I'd try to explain some basics. :)
First, several of your units seem to be not the optimal size, which is why other posters are saying drop their sizes. You want to think about the maximum number of models you are likely to get into close combat with skirmishing units, because you don't get any benefit from those in the back 'ranks'. Sure more models up the point at which you have to take a panic test, but most of your army is immune to panic! Hence 7 dryads could well be a better unit than 10 because you're unlikely to get more than 7 dryad models into base to base contact with an enemy unit. Some units DO have a particluarly wide frontage, but they tend to be the kind of units you won't be able to take down with dryads anyway; e.g. heavy cavalry.

On a similar note I think you could get away with less Eternal Guard. They can rank up, so it's worth having back ranks, but they are so offensive that you can get away with 15-20 rather than having to go for a large unit to guarantee maximum ranks and outnumbering when you see combat.

Champions are often a waste of points. An extra attack can be good but is rarely worth the additional cost. Add up the cost of all the champions in the army and see if you couldn't get at least the start of another unit for it.

I think your lord is too expensive. Decking a character out with lots of kit can seem like a worthwhile solution, but many players will actively try to avoid engaging your lord assuming he is hard to kill and will mess up their units. As he is on foot he can't really force the issue that well. Therefore it is probably best to keep him cheap - let your opponent's fear of him be a weapon in your arsenal.

spud
26-09-2005, 15:27
Edit: This is Deadsead, the computer at work won't let me log out the last person that signed in here.

I knew that I could at most usually get only 7 Dryads in combat at a time, I just figured it would be a good idea to have some extras for when they suffer loses. But for room for points I guess not.

I'll take your advice on the Eternal Guard, and I would ask if maybe they are even necessary, I could have an army where I try to win only by flank and rear charges, and not have one unit that I depend on to win with ranks. This would allow me to give my HB less equipment as he would only be attacking normal models if he only flanks (probably put him in a Wild Rider unit).

And if I have no chance on depending on Tree Singing to help me should I even keep 2 mages, or just have 1? It's only 1 more dispell dice I'm adding, and I can give the one mage 2 dispell scrolls.

g0ddy
26-09-2005, 18:35
As long as you cast your tree singing with 1 dice each time I dont think you should have much trouble.

- g0dzilla

Deadseed
26-09-2005, 18:52
I might have success with that, how many power dice can one level 2 mage use again? The guy with the staff could just use as many dice as possible to cast it over and over.

chbster
26-09-2005, 20:01
lvl+1 meens 3 PD for a lvl2 mage

The champions are mainly needed to accept challenges and are therefor needed in units you also going to have heroes in. You dont want to run into a vamp lord/count or similar without one!

When it comes to your choice of using a lord, they are freaking expensive.
Spellweavers are a better choice i think

But Highborns can also be of great use. Especially their 100magic items slot.
One option i would prefere to the one you have put up is to give the 12" march blocker standart to the EG.
Put your Lord in the unit and equipp him with the Bow of loren, Arcade Bodkins (arrows neglecting AS) or starfire arrows (1+ casulties > Panic test) and Pageant of Skrikes.
With one unit of GG on each side you will be able to give heavy damage before they manage to charge you.
Remeber always to pull the EG unit back as far as possible each turn. (2,5")
This way you can effectivly block the centre of the board, giving you time to get your cav or scirms in the position to do the rear charges you where talking about.

This is the one option a Lord is really good else i would rather go for a spellweaver and a alter heroe with the Helm of Hunt and HoD.

Deadseed
27-09-2005, 03:38
If I put in a Spellweaver instead of a Highborn I would probably change it to a complately mobile army that tried to get only flank and rear charges, as nothing would be able to take down an enemy general in combat most likely.

Sinew
27-09-2005, 09:14
I'll take your advice on the Eternal Guard, and I would ask if maybe they are even necessary I think Eternals are a good choice as long as they are fielded in the right numbers. Too many is a mistake because quite a small unit is still a powerful force in combat, whether charged or charging. They are fast and can move through woods, don't let the fact that they can be stubborn fool you into thinking that their only use is to sit back and hold up enemy units.

If I put in a Spellweaver instead of a Highborn I would probably change it to a complately mobile army that tried to get only flank and rear charges I reckon this is do-able but not necessarily a good idea. For starters, even a maneuverable army can have problems getting flank/rear charges if you have nothing that can oppose an enemy battle line to the front. You have to have units that threaten the enemy units' fronts otherwise they will simply turn to face your flanking units. Even getting unit of 5-10 elves you may find a Skaven/Orc opponent has more units than you and every one of them has rank bonus. Nothing wrong with a Highborn but don't overdo the kit, and decide when making the army if you really need a Highborn, or if a Noble wouldn't be able to do the job just as well.

Deadseed
27-09-2005, 15:20
Well if I had a completely mobile army and the enemy kept turning to face my units who tried to flank charge them then I could either try to surround them with many small units so that they will be flank charged no matter what, or I could just keep running around them, causing them to keep turning to face the threat while my archers whittle them down. This is all theory though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Sinew
27-09-2005, 15:45
I could either try to surround them with many small units so that they will be flank charged no matter what Yes you could, and I'm not saying it is a bad plan, however this means you're looking at a minimum 2-1 ratio in your enemy's favour. You need 2+ units to guarantee a flank charge on the enemy so you'll be stretched bearing in mind you can get 9 goblins for the price of 1 Wardancer.

Also it depends what you call a flank charge; skirmishers cannot cancel rank bonus if they charge in the flank of a unit so chances are a unit of Dryads hitting the flank of a reasonable unit will not beat it. Troops like Wild Riders, Glade Riders and Eternals can cancel ranks and that is their strength. My original comment was merely that if you reject troops like this and go for a totally mobile army you weaken your combat options because you tend to avoid fielding troops that can do well deployed to the enemy's front.

Deadseed
27-09-2005, 16:32
So the units that would be good for this, I assume, are Eternal Guard, Treekin, and Treemen, right?

How many units of this type would you recommend to draw the enemy into combat?