PDA

View Full Version : Biggest small creature that can conceivably be flown by a fat Snotling

superknijn
14-01-2008, 21:10
Boredom struck, so I decided to build a Snotling armylist. It's coming together rather well, with the Snotling Hero choice (Demigob) being nothing more than a gobbo with +1 A and W, and the Snotling Lord choice (Overlord) being about as powefull in combat as a weak Orc with +1 A.

Ofcourse, any Lord choice needs a big beasty to fly on, a chariot to ride in, or a small beasty to ride around on. The Chariot's already covered (Pump Wagons, can probably also be a special choice), now I'm still stuck with the small beasty and the big beasty. I was thinking of wolf puppies (can also make a unit coice of that, I think), but still am rather unsure about the flying beasty. A small thing with 2 wounds, that can carry a creature somewhat about the size of a Goblin. anyone have any ideas?

Wolfmother
14-01-2008, 21:21
convert up like a chaos houd and give it wings cant think of anythinkg else sos

Soulless Enigma
14-01-2008, 21:22
Why not a strange machine derived from the pump wagon? Flies, but the distance is random.

Griefbringer
14-01-2008, 21:27
Winged squig?
Mutant bumble-bee?
Giant hop-chicken-hop-squirrel?
Another snotling flapping his arms wildly?
Supercharged pogo-stick?
couple of rockets stolen from Empire hellfire rocket launcher?

Lyonator
14-01-2008, 21:32
have him riding a doom diver?
(er, the terminally guided projectile, rather than the launcher)

if you can swing the modeling, a winged warboar would give endless opportunities for you to reference "when pigs fly."
:)

de Selby
14-01-2008, 21:33
Giant dung-beetle (scarab) is a sound idea.

Reaper does a giant scarab (not sure how giant, actually):

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/02564

you might want to open up the wing cases if you can make some proper wings (how's your sculpting?) and put the snotling on the thorax.

Nephilim of Sin
14-01-2008, 21:37
You could glue a bat swarm together(wing to wing?), and have him ride that. Bats don't have to be all VC, after all.

And you cannot pass the chance of using the small plastic squig to have one ride on. That would be great.

mistformsquirrel
14-01-2008, 21:58
I'm voting for a flying pig or a flying squig >.> either would be suitably hilarious!

smileyface
14-01-2008, 23:41
A small thing with 2 wounds, that can carry a creature somewhat about the size of a Goblin. anyone have any ideas?

How about one of those chicken things that turns people to stone?

Ah, got it: Cockatrice (http://http://www.thegamersguild.co.uk/presentation/dark-heaven-legend-reaper-miniatures.asp)

GW did them at one time, and the wings are still available in their online shop (though not the body :wtf:).

superknijn
15-01-2008, 06:58
Squigs may be a good idea; if you can have hair-squigs, cave-squigs, fire-squigs and squiggoths, why not drake-squids?

One of the design elements of the list is that the Snotlings like to emulate other Greenskins; as such, I've got Black Squigs, who like to be though and armoured, and fail miserably at that. Drake-squigs could very well be the Snotling equivalent to Wyverns. Cockatrices might work: They're rather weedy and comical-looking, and they already have a profile in the High Elves 6th ed armybook. Utterly failed dragons, mixed with chickens are very Snotling-like, I'd say. I'll just test some rules, to see which one works better. Or worse.

mistformsquirrel
15-01-2008, 07:14
Haha, I love the image of a Drake Squig...

Just think of this:

Gasious Exhaust: Drake Squigs are ferocious eaters like the majority of their kind, and as such can become quite gassy as their stomachs break down all manner of rock, meat, wood and bone. Occassionally this has a helpful effect on the battlefield, which an aspiring Snotling Lord can use to his advantage.

A Drake Squig that passes over an enemy unit inflicts 1d6 S2 hits on that unit. No armor saves allowed. Units that are immune to Poison are immune to the effects of Gasious Exhaust.

snurl
15-01-2008, 10:02
How about a Squig Balloon? A squig filled with hot gas with a basket attached beneath.......

Urgat
15-01-2008, 11:26
A big chicken :D

Leogun_91
15-01-2008, 12:13
The squig baloon would be moast fun, else it could be a vulture or an eagle.

BattleofLund
15-01-2008, 12:53
The old metal wolves would make great mounts for Snotling Fox-riding Raiding Cavalry. Getting wolf pups away from wolf dens strike me as a task beyond a Snotling's abilities. :p

The SF-rRC should probably be consigned to the Special section though; if you bother with those limitations at all!

superknijn
15-01-2008, 14:53
Well, ofcourse a Snotling army would allow for a large amount of heroes (including Shamans, with a Tiny Waaagh) and special choices, becuase it would be very, very boring to just to have a hundred snotling bases.

I'm mainly aiming on the ability of Snotlings to emulate other, bigger folks, and the acute Gork complex that Snotlings get when they're not getting stepped on. Like Goblins, but with names like 'Demigob' (half a goblin, with a nod to 'demigod')

Actual rules discussions will probably be posted in the rules development forum, though.

Gazak Blacktoof
15-01-2008, 19:28
The Squig Balloon or a Snotling Powered Flying Machine get my vote. The smaller greenskins tend to be more technically minded and adventurous than the bigger brutes who spend their time hitting smaller things and getting into groups to hit big things.

Its entirely conceivable that snotlings would create flying machines that occasionally fly.

nurgle_boy
15-01-2008, 20:51
A Giant :D

I beleive the old snotties list had one as a rare unit, so why not a mount for a hero?

Other than that, I suggest livestock!

Grunge
15-01-2008, 20:57
Winged squig?

I once saw a really nice and simple conversion of a squig with really small bat wing, probably from bat swarms. It looked really nice, believe it or not.

Nice in a funny and Orcish/Goblinish way!

Maybe it was converted by someone on this forum, or someone here can provide any pics?

mrtn
16-01-2008, 00:31
Winged squigs have been done by a number of beastmen players over at the Herdstone (http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/).
That or a vulture could work.

El Haroldo
16-01-2008, 02:12
I'm curious as to the list structure itself. As well as black snotlings, you could have savage snotlings, night snotlings, forest snotlings.

How it would play is another matter. How do they have the range or basic ability to hurt anything?

superknijn
16-01-2008, 08:10
That's the problem I'm currently trying to solve. Snotlings have a BS of 0, and aren't very shooty-minded. I was thinking of Snotling Catapults that launch over-eager Snotlings (or even a bunch of them) into enemy lines. They see it as means of transport, while it's effects are more akin to artillery. Stone-thrower-like profile, funny Misfire table, large blast template with low strength. Can already picture it myself.

Flying snotling contraptions (Zeppelins, probably) can make quite a nice rare choice, I'd say. Will work on that.

Leogun_91
16-01-2008, 08:35
A snotling boltthrower working as a crossbow with better BS than normal snotlings.

Braad
16-01-2008, 08:49
I just increased the amount of snotties in my O&G army with the purchase of the old-school pump wagon (already have the new one). It has one snottie that is a bit different from the rest: it wears robes, a hat and gives you 'the finger'. I decided this model is perfectly suitable as a snotling shaman.
I figured that using night gobbo shaman stats, with a restriction of no upgrade to level 2, no extra equipment and max 25 pts of magic items would be a good way of going.

If you want him, HURRY! They are going to cancel sales of this model.

As a mount for your boss... something small and smelly would do, since snotties tend to hang around the dung-heap of the orc camp, or something like that. I always thought of snotties as riding rats. The skaven have suitable models for these (I think the ones from the giant rat herd or something).
Though I never tried it. As a snotling warboss I have the Bogoff the snotling model (little snotling that carries a lantern around) and it is on foot. For him I use the rules of a night gobbo big boss and also with no extra equipment and max 25 points equipment (those are the rules for a snotling warboss given by GW in the snotling armylist in the back of the 6th edition armybook).

superknijn
16-01-2008, 11:32
Great idea about the model, might buy it.

Well, I want to create a mostly independant fun armybook, with it's own magic items, and more options than the 4 you have in the 6th ed O&G armybook. Why? Because I can....

I'll proabably use rats for mounts; they're small, suitable, and weak.

BigbyWolf
16-01-2008, 13:38
How about something along the lines of a doom diver, but with three snotlings- one mounted on the top (eg. character) and 1 flapping each wing. They'd have to start from a launching position (either on the catapult or a giant), but once in the air the reduced bodyweight of the snotlings make it more aero-dynamic and thus able to stay in the air.

Not sure how they'd get back in the air again once they've engaged in combat.

Failing that there's always juvenile wyverns...but I suspect that'd involve a lot of greenstuff work...