PDA

View Full Version : LGS highly competetive. I like themed armies. What would you do?

Xenocidal Maniac
14-01-2008, 22:56
So, like the title says, my Local Game Store has a highly competetive metagame. Pretty much everyone there is fairly skilled, but, more than that, they all bring the cheese. I mean really bring it. Edlrad, Falcons, Nidzilla, 6 man las / plas... you get the idea.

And that's fine. I don't necessarily mind that. Sometimes I enjoy putting together the most broken list that I can and powergaming. And I am pretty good at it. But for the most part, I enjoy making themed (read: not very competetive) armies. Like, I will take a bunch of Bikes and Terminators with the Icon of Khorn in a 1,000 pt game just because it's cool.

Problem is, against these very tightly made min / maxed armies that the locals bring to the table, I tend to get waxed. The games are uninteresting because they are so one-sided. I feel like I showed up to a gunfight with a pocket knife.

So, what would you do?

The_Outsider
14-01-2008, 22:59
Play dark eldar - their themed lists 9and all comer lists) also double as a powergamer list!

Okay thats a little too broad a statement - but the core of it remains true.

Light of the Emperor
14-01-2008, 22:59
I've been stuck in that situation everywhere. I only build theme armies...many times understanding that I'll be at a disadvantage. They are just too fun to pass up.
But, not every gamer cares for theme. Some just want powerful units.

The way I see it, if I abandon my theme for something more powerful, I'd just be fueling the fire. My goal is to get people to realize how fun themes can be. I've gotten a few people to change at my LGS so its not impossible.

nova40k
14-01-2008, 23:13
I hate to break this to you but people who are competetive see winning as fun. The only way to teach them is to beat them. Theme armys are noramlly at a disadvantage since to be fluffy you have to spend a few more points on things that aren't efficent. Being a better player in these situations is also hard since you have start a battle out of favor.

The only way to accomplish all of the above is well have your store run Rogue Traders not tourenaments. Sportsmandship and painting seem sometimes to be a balancer, yet any time where you have to trust human decency there are those that who should not be trusted.

Chaos and Evil
14-01-2008, 23:16
I would find somewhere else to play that is less of a power-gamer's environment.

Or ask some of the guys if they want to play some less power-gamey games for a week or two and see if they enjoy it more, whatever... :)

dark-hamish
14-01-2008, 23:20
Have faith, I believe the new codex trend is to make fluffy armies more potent while removing the likelyhood of uber cheese. I may be wrong, but.... Lets just say that people laugh at my DA list combos until they get spanked by them. And my lists are balanced and lactose free. I usually design an army list based on a general tactical concept, fill the holes with fluffy units and go from there. I am basing this on my observations of the DA, Chaos and new Ork dex. Hopefully it will contiue.

Skyth
14-01-2008, 23:24
Best bet is pre-arrange a game before-hand so both people are playing on the same page.

Brother Loki
14-01-2008, 23:30
Do you currently only play at the FLGS? Do you have a table and scenery at home? Maybe you could host some more narrative games and invite the players you think would be interested. You might find its more than you think. Powergaming can be self reinforcing - if someone does it, others feel they have to in order to stand a chance.

I would look into alternative places to play as well - not just other stores, but clubs and things as well. I see you're in LA, so I would imagine there's got to be something relatively close. I'm not necessarily suggesting you abandon your local, but you could probably alternate between there and somewhere else.

Kveld-Ulf
15-01-2008, 00:09
A couple of options really.

- Ask players you think would be interested to play against you in non-power games. Some will like to just have fun matches and laugh about it, and those are the ones who make the gaming experience fun.

- Outcheese them until they give up. I used a friends DE to horribly destroy every single person's army lists. Then I got accused of being cheesy etc. "You only win because you use that list!". So I pointed out how I'm doing what they do. After that a lot of players just built theme armies. It's been more rewarding since. Sometimes you have to be a dick to teach one.

Xenocidal Maniac
15-01-2008, 05:21
Funny thing - you would think, being in Los Angeles, there would be a whole slew of stores to choose from. In LA City proper (or close to it, anyway) there is only one store that I know of - my LGS. You have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to the next nearest store... weird, I know.

And I should add that almost all the guys down there are nice - they are not typical a**hole powergamer types. They play that way because they genuinely enjoy the more competetive aspects of the game, and I don't think they know any other way. But my first introduction to wargaming was by an actual Hollywood screenwriter who would write grand backstories and worlds for us to game in... so I think that will forever tint my view of the whole thing.

A13X
15-01-2008, 05:30
Play dark eldar - their themed lists 9and all comer lists) also double as a powergamer list!

Okay thats a little too broad a statement - but the core of it remains true.

Yeah go Dark Eldar!

pookie
15-01-2008, 12:31
So, like the title says, my Local Game Store has a highly competetive metagame. Pretty much everyone there is fairly skilled, but, more than that, they all bring the cheese. I mean really bring it. Edlrad, Falcons, Nidzilla, 6 man las / plas... you get the idea.

And that's fine. I don't necessarily mind that. Sometimes I enjoy putting together the most broken list that I can and powergaming. And I am pretty good at it. But for the most part, I enjoy making themed (read: not very competetive) armies. Like, I will take a bunch of Bikes and Terminators with the Icon of Khorn in a 1,000 pt game just because it's cool.

Problem is, against these very tightly made min / maxed armies that the locals bring to the table, I tend to get waxed. The games are uninteresting because they are so one-sided. I feel like I showed up to a gunfight with a pocket knife.

So, what would you do?

sneak up behind them and slit there Throat! lol...

OT - i woudlnt do much, id stick to my guns and re think my tactics, i too pref a themed army but not one of cheese ( an example is that i dont use max 20 man BT Crusader sqauds ) but still include 3/4 15ish man sqauds plus several small frie support sqds.

Doppleskanger
15-01-2008, 12:47
Oh, I guess I'm real lucky because the club I'm with doesn't go in for too much of this nonsense. When we get to tournemants on the other hand, it's so stupid!

I really don't get why those guys do it. I just don't.

I have two suggestions
Try and talk some of these players to relax a bit, get them to bring a less aggresive list and play a more fun game, pre-arranged against you're list (Assure them that the game won't affect their status as LORD OF THE GAMESTORE). They might actually enjoy it.

The other idea is to go beyond the standard missions, into the other stuff at the back of the book. Don't pre-arrange this, but pre-select a mission that suits the theme of your army, and get them to re-write a list that fits the new missions parametres. This should balance things up for you and also some of those missions are simply great fun to play.

Don't change your list to compete with these guys, unless you really want to prove a point. Tool up your army to specifically take out say, Nidzilla, and then just go up their, wipe some one out, and then point out how much nonsense that sort of gaming is.

Good luck mate, and I hope you get some better gamers to play with.

Huw_Dawson
15-01-2008, 13:20
Have you considered Blood Angels? It adds another angle to the Marine abuse when you show up with your lovely fluffy Mephiston-led army of death...

- Huw

CommisarMolotov
15-01-2008, 14:27
There are some decently competitive "themed" armies - but if I were you, I'd build the army I really want to play. Then, you'll have fun - win or lose!

The_Outsider
15-01-2008, 14:34
There are some decently competitive "themed" armies - but if I were you, I'd build the army I really want to play. Then, you'll have fun - win or lose!

This of course is the correct answer, but alas for some people competition runs pretty deep.

Thats not saying powergaming and themed lists are mutually exclusive, just 99% of the time they are.

Bregalad
15-01-2008, 15:46
Ask yourself, if playing against those cheesy fellows is fun at all. I guess it is not, it is just a form of pissing contest without humour. I would try to get some normal people together and form a more friendly gamers' club. The store and its noobs and fluff-gamers will love you for that!