PDA

View Full Version : What have the orks been smoking?

Inquizitor Aohd
15-01-2008, 04:15
Some of the fluff and models depict Orks smoking cigars.

Any clues as to what the orks have been smoking?

Rhamag
15-01-2008, 04:28
Maybe it's squig-related. They can't seem to do much without squigs being involved somewhere or other. Probably though it's just The Rule Of Cool in full Orky effect.

Chaplain of Chaos
15-01-2008, 04:38
I'm sure tobacco, (or whatever Iho sticks are) are available to orcs. they must have an agriculture of some sort.

Or possibly they are taken as spoils of war.

Grimbad
15-01-2008, 04:50
Doubtless some mighty dubious lookin' mushrooms.

Chilltouch
15-01-2008, 06:12
They see impressive looking humies putting burning sticks in their mouths and think that it must be a sign of toughness. So, they probably just pick up sticks of flammable nature and burn the end of it, or perhaps all of it, to show that they are as tough or tougher than the humies.

Kveld-Ulf
15-01-2008, 06:37
They see impressive looking humies putting burning sticks in their mouths and think that it must be a sign of toughness. So, they probably just pick up sticks of flammable nature and burn the end of it, or perhaps all of it, to show that they are as tough or tougher than the humies.

Hahah, that's gold. I can only imagine how rich stick salesorks would become.

CELS
15-01-2008, 06:44
It's not unlikely that their smokes are actually something they've adopted from human culture (i.e. tobacco, lho sticks or whatever else). It's typically Blood Axes who are seen smoking anyway, and those tend to borrow a lot from human culture.

Although Chilltouch had an excellent idea as well. :D

Ninjaguiden
15-01-2008, 07:22
Some of the fluff and models depict Orks smoking cigars.

Any clues as to what the orks have been smoking?

Squig dung?

Brother Siccarius
15-01-2008, 07:47
I was going to go with fungus until I read the other ideas. :D

They'll just have to stick to eating mushrooms and drinking fungus beer, I guess.

Kurisu313
15-01-2008, 08:12
I think I have to go with chilltouch - if they saw a human doing it and thought it was cool, they'd copy it. Remember in the apoc rulebook theres some fluff about an ork mek seeing a titan and he ends up building a stompa? Orks are great at apeing things, but rarely have original ideas. Maybe an ork wandered past a heap of squig dung that was ablaze, breathed in the fumes and liked it.

I should point out that orks are the 'fun' race, so I doubt it's supposed to be any kind of serious drug, but then again, what could effect an orks biology? It'd have to be pretty potent by human standards if they were smoking if for effect rather than appearance.

Go with squig something...

Squigbacco?

Ikkaan
15-01-2008, 09:04
I doubt that an ork would care what exactly heīs smoking...just what he finds as spoils of war (canīt imagine orks watering a tobacco field). So its probably lho-sticks, cigars, crack, heroin, pcp, banana peels, thyme...the ork organism should be able to cope with everything chucked down the lung.

Sidri
15-01-2008, 10:09
Hell - i read in Rogue Trader orks that they smoke special fungus - so no blood axes... May be these untrustworthy gitz smoke more often...

Curis
15-01-2008, 10:20
Q. What do Orks smoke?

A. SQUIGGARETTES!

Ahem. Sorry. Squiggars?

Sidri
15-01-2008, 10:26
No Squigatto - they put that stuff into pipez, light with burnaz and enjoy not doing anything..

pookie
15-01-2008, 10:28
Squigabiss ??? ;)

Sidri
15-01-2008, 11:11
NO!!! "Ye Olde Squig-a-fungie" will make ya look like a true Nob!!!

Inquizitor Aohd
15-01-2008, 12:22
I just got an idea!

remember that episode of futurama where bender smokes the cigar rolled from the Original constitution?

I wonder what important/holy imperial document I could have my warboss roll up and smoke...

thearchiver
15-01-2008, 12:26
Ciggysquids?

OrlyggJafnakol
15-01-2008, 12:27
I reckon that their baccy would be made from crushed teef. That would really show the 'uvver boyz who da man woz' due to their price. Also, breathing in the burning fumes of teef would be so foul and noxious only the 'ardest boyz' would be able to take a drag on the stuff!

Orks favourite brand? Choppa's Choice!

When Black Roses Bloom
15-01-2008, 12:32
Maybe it's squig dunk. Or maybe it's the mushrooms they used to ate from the Gretchin and become, well, what they've become. ;)

Sidri
15-01-2008, 13:43
Warboss may smoke some holy book for example st. Katerine's... In fact I think that it may be a stuff for a campaign...

Plague Lord
15-01-2008, 14:26
Warboss may smoke some holy book for example st. Katerine's... In fact I think that it may be a stuff for a campaign...

Shh that's top secret!! Whatch it or you'll have GW at your door :p

CrimsonTider
15-01-2008, 14:32
I and a few friends have alwasy speculated they smoked dried humie fingers... gotta love the smoky flavor of dried humie, right?

Lockjaw
15-01-2008, 16:39
Old art showed orks smoking pipes, they probably are just smoking whatever humans smoke, and assorted funguses as well

chrome_ghoul
15-01-2008, 18:07
Q. What do Orks smoke?

A. SQUIGGARETTES!

Ahem. Sorry. Squiggars?

Consider that sigged! :D

Wolf Scout Ewan
15-01-2008, 19:52
There are Dok's, mek's, runtherdz so I'll bet there are Orks that like nothing better than growing 'shrooms of all kinds.

Before the Brainboyz demise there were Orkz for every job the little guys couldnt do. I bet there is even Orky Gordon Ramsey's out there brewing some killing stew.

Johnnyfrej
16-01-2008, 05:13

I can see this happening.

PapaDoc
18-01-2008, 00:42
Marijuana?

max the dog
18-01-2008, 02:24
Unfiltered Camels.
Not the tobacco kind I mean the animal.

Kymar
18-01-2008, 05:16
Unfiltered Camels.
Not the tobacco kind I mean the animal.

Camels FTW!

Chilltouch
18-01-2008, 05:58
Thanks for the support guys - but it's true. Orks adapt to whatever they see. If they see something and think "huh, that's pretty orky", then they'll do it. They might cultivate certain sticks to do it in particular with, but I don't seem them rolling cigars like some human does.

Lord of ???
18-01-2008, 05:58
i'ld like to think its the stem of a shroom they have dried and are smoking.

Maggoth
18-01-2008, 07:23
WRONG!

Orks smoke non of the above, infact orks smoke the natural plant and narcotic of the Eastern Fringe and the Malestrom a narotic that grows in vast abundance and has many uses from fuel to textiles, to the mellowed out scent of that sweet sweet smoke. Such narcotic is know to the Imperials as Chronica, a very potent plant that grows in extemely hot and lush regions on a varitey of different planets. While the effects of Chronica are subtle to many races, to humans and to Orks especially it is a very harmonizing plant, that can be used to smoke especially by basic infantry in long term campaigns.

However Chronica can be manufactured and turned into a substance that is the bane of all mankind a highly addictive and potent stimulant known as Chronk. While the techniques for producing this substance are laragely unknow by the Imperium, this narcotic is widespread and sold throught Ork societies. Ork themselves love Chronk because it can rally them into a massive frenzy giving them the extra boost needed to charge headlong into the fray and allowing them to take extensive damage more so than normal without succumbing to their wounds.

However to humans the narcotic know as Chronk is equally addictive as it is to orks but has a different effect, rather than arrousing individuals to amazing feats due to the numbing narcotic, it actually makes them merely yurn for more, and more and more, and these individuals often go into reclusiveness. Trying to feed their hungry addictions in secrecy or solitude, while the numbing effect is similar to both species, they both react different to the substance.

Chronica has the same effect on all races, possibly to a lesser extent to one another but overall the same effect of unified "mellowness". A race such as the Tau do not desire such mellow effects and prefer their state of reality as is, however it is know in rare cases when suffering and bloodshed reaches such horrific heights the Tau will choose to use the effects of this plant to their advantage and will smoke it to releve excess stress usally from long campaigns of excess violence and termoil.The same can be said about all races, but the humans and orks expeically tend to do this rather recreationally, Imperial forces more so when commanding officers turn a blind eye.

Chronica is a diverse plant that has many uses, and theirfore is grown and harvested in rich abundance through out loyalist colonies and settlements throught the eastern fringe and malestrom, but the highly addivtive substance that can be produced Chronk is the bane of all in those areas, it is commonly produced by ork or heretical factions and distibuted by such, it underminds any sense of community and structure , and is a secret curse implemented by the eniemies of the imperium sold to hive gangers and renegades to be distibuted amongst the loyal classes and ranks of the imperium, it is such a threat that consideration has been undertaken of a founding of a new chapter from the white scars to hunt and destroy those associated with this narcotic, but nothing has been set in motion yet. The battle against this narcotic is commonly faught by the white scars and adeptus arbities, but due to the over all abundance of such it may be truly impossible to keep in check, much like the eastern fringe and malestorm itself.

-Inquisitor Cheech Marun
(A report on the effects of Chronica/Chronk in the Eastern Fringe and Malestrom)
"What do Orks smoke?"

Inquizitor Aohd
18-01-2008, 12:16
Thanks for the support guys - but it's true. Orks adapt to whatever they see. If they see something and think "huh, that's pretty orky", then they'll do it. They might cultivate certain sticks to do it in particular with, but I don't seem them rolling cigars like some human does.

This seems to me to be the sort of thing that Grots are pressed in to service for.
The one who are good might even make a few teef at it.

Cirrus the Blue
18-01-2008, 13:15
Q. What do Orks smoke?

A. SQUIGGARETTES!

Ahem. Sorry. Squiggars?

hahaha Nice one! That gave me a pretty good chuckle. :D

On the note of the new bitz on the Lootaz sprue though, there's a bit with a Boy smoking a cigar and another bit that's his facemask for his Scorcha with a space cut away JUST FOR HIS CIGAR!! I thought this was absolutely hilarious and totally appropriate for an Ork. You've gotta admit, there's few ways that are more dramatic to light a cigar than with a flame thrower while it's already in your mouth, huh? :p And going on the DoW opening scene, one of my favorite moments in that is with the Burna Boy smoking the cigar while blasting Space Marines with fire. hehehe

- Cirrus

Cirrus the Blue
18-01-2008, 13:25
I can actually see an Ork taking great pride in rolling quality cigars out of this socalled Chronk stuff. But I agree with Aohd in the fact this task might be given strictly to the Grots. :p

- Cirrus

FrankManic
18-01-2008, 21:53
I imagine they smoke whatever gets them high, low, jittery, tweaked out, glazed, or just out and out baked. The universe is a large place full of interesting things that want to kill you, and most of them probably have strange poisons that are hallucinogenic when smoked in the proper dosage.