PDA

View Full Version : Male Banshees?

UltimateNagash
15-01-2008, 11:33
Simple question: are there any male Howling Banshees?

Curis
15-01-2008, 11:40
Simple answer: yes.

It's just they tend to be female as the Banshee in Eldar mythology is a female figure.

UltimateNagash
15-01-2008, 11:48
That's what I thought, just wondering if it says so anywhere - can't check Rogue Trader as they weren't released then, and so I have to skip to the mini 48 page 3rd edition Codex next, and then the current 4th ed one, and there's nothing about them in those two...
Kinda wondering what would happen if a man put on Jain Zars armour :D

DantesInferno
15-01-2008, 11:48
2nd edition Eldar Codex, p9:

Unlike most other Aspects the Howling Banshees are almost always female Eldar, for the Banshee is said to be a female spirit.

Note: "almost always female Eldar".

UltimateNagash
15-01-2008, 11:52
See, I don't have that one - thanks :)

CELS
15-01-2008, 12:03
Thus giving rise to the popular myth that 10% of all male Eldar are Banshees... ;)

FarseerMatt
15-01-2008, 12:28
In general if an Eldar fancies taking on a close-combat Aspect Path it seems they'll pick Scorpions if they're male and Banshees if they're female. Possibly because it fits the physique of each sex better (Scorpions = strength and stealth, Banshees = speed and dexterity).

But of course, any Eldar can join any Path and hence any Aspect, so of course there can be male Banshees or female Scorpions (see Shadow Point - Kariadryl's grand-daughter is a Scorpion).

It's just a disproportionate representation among the models really IMHO. That said, Warp Spiders could be either due to their bulky armour.

I wonder what a male Eldar using a banshee mask would sound like? :)

de Selby
15-01-2008, 12:36

A scream like a jet engine, inside your head.*

*I stole this image; was reading Fahrenheit 451 this morning.

Ikkaan
15-01-2008, 14:03
It´s a mask they put on, a role they are accepting...the aspect has female characteristics, but this doesn´t exclude male eldar from walking this path.

Other Aspects may be considered "male" but probably have a lot of female warriors.

Kage2020
15-01-2008, 15:07
I for one created a short story with a male banshee, linking it to preference in "martial arts" rather than any feminine characteristics of the banshee...

Kage

scratchbuilt
15-01-2008, 16:01
Screaming BanHe's.

;)

dark blade
15-01-2008, 16:17
male banshees exist, its just that the armor they whear still has brests in it, hence they tend to try and develop huge pecs to compensate :)

SV_Harlequin
15-01-2008, 16:28
I suppose if the Male Eldar feels a strong connection to Isha or other Female Eldar Gods he would join the Banshees.
Eldar like Elves seem to be a fairly Androgenous Species race anyway so Female/Male probably doesn't restrict/count for much.

Brother Siccarius
15-01-2008, 17:18
male banshees exist, its just that the armor they whear still has brests in it, hence they tend to try and develop huge pecs to compensate :)

Damn, beaten to it...

Bloodknight
15-01-2008, 17:21
Thus giving rise to the popular myth that 10% of all male Eldar are Banshees...

That was solid gold. I was going to make the same joke before I read yours.

But yes, not all Banshees are Female. The Eldar do not care too much about gender in their armies.

Progena
15-01-2008, 17:24
Small picture, but one of the new Autarchs (http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/gallery/4/) has what I presume to be a Banshee helmet, and he's presumably male.

He probably gets laughed at by all the other Autarchs for being a sissy... but then again all Eldar are sissies...

kikkoman
15-01-2008, 18:29
Banshees are based off of WHF Witch Elves, so they tend to be female

Or... maybe the breasts are part of the ritual armor

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2402/2195872238_41affe8950.jpg

Rorschach
15-01-2008, 18:41
Scary...........

CELS
15-01-2008, 19:39
Not unlike this guy (http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO_VXHxsRw) at 01:05 and 02:20, I imagine.

Nice image by the way. Best thing I've seen all day since that female Tau with boobs.

Bregalad
15-01-2008, 21:23
Also look here:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63820 (Autarch with Banshee helmet)
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59871
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54130

Kage2020
16-01-2008, 12:34
Or... maybe the breasts are part of the ritual armor
That wouldn't be too much of a stretch of anthropology... ;)

Kage

Rockerfella
16-01-2008, 12:55
Male banshee's? Sure, why not. I suspect that they would be very, very rare though.

Or maybe I just prefer it that way.

pookie
16-01-2008, 14:03
Male banshee's? Sure, why not. I suspect that they would be very, very rare though.

Or maybe I just prefer it that way.

but only as rare as female version of the other Aspects imo. ( i agree tho male Banshees would be rarer than a Female reaper for example )

iirc Eldar could be several/all the diffrent types of aspect during their life time?.

Bregalad
16-01-2008, 14:05
Remember that we have an male Autarch with a Banshee helmet. The current German version of the Codex consequently speaks of female warriors though.

superknijn
16-01-2008, 14:40
That's because the Aspect is stereotyped as female. I mean, it would appear rather odd if it was 'der Banshee'. Wasn't Banshee one of the few words they didn't translate (horribly)?

Ikkaan
16-01-2008, 14:58
I think they didn´t. The closest word for Banshee in German would be "Todesfee" which translates back to english as "Death Fairy" - that would have been really bad for the eldar marketing. Never seen a male fairy though...

Anyway, Banshees may be stereotyped as female, but i guess there are a lot of agile male Banshees whose chest armor was not made to fit a female. They are just overlooked in the masses.

Sai-Lauren
17-01-2008, 14:18

Justin Hawkins? :D

Eldar like Elves seem to be a fairly Androgenous Species race anyway so Female/Male probably doesn't restrict/count for much.
Yep, I've always seen the Eldar as considering gender as about as important as hair colour for most of the time.

Rockerfella
17-01-2008, 16:26
I don't think its that, to be fair. Its not like the blokes are so girly there's no difference between a guy Eldar and a girl Eldar (although they are slightly closer than the primates of earth, i guess). I prefer to think of it like this: That the society and civilisation is so advanced, they see little need for chauve/a/nism and male superiority, especially when their civilisation is on the brink of destruction. Everyone counts. Everyones equal.

LexxBomb
18-01-2008, 05:46
Everyones equal.
But some are more equal then others.
:cheese:
I finaly found somewhere to put an animal farm reference.

Kandarin
18-01-2008, 07:23
I don't think its that, to be fair. Its not like the blokes are so girly there's no difference between a guy Eldar and a girl Eldar (although they are slightly closer than the primates of earth, i guess). I prefer to think of it like this: That the society and civilisation is so advanced, they see little need for chauve/a/nism and male superiority, especially when their civilisation is on the brink of destruction. Everyone counts. Everyones equal.

I don't think the argument is being made that the genders of the Eldar are more similar on a physiological manner, but rather a psychological one. That is to say, the differences in thought, in one's interests and priorities, would be substantially less between a he-Eldar and a she-Eldar than between a human man and woman. They may look as different as humans, but their trains of thought are remarkably similar.

Imperialis_Dominatus
18-01-2008, 09:36
But some are more equal then others.
:cheese:
I finaly found somewhere to put an animal farm reference.

That's Tau think, not Eldar!

GalenArtorius
18-01-2008, 10:18
Justin Hawkins?

LOL - I expect they would have his preference for spandex as well :D

Regarding a male finding Jain Zar’s armour, I see two ways of looking at it. Because the armour is something of mythical properties, perhaps only female eldar will find it in a fate-controls-us-all kinda way. Alternatively, it doesn’t matter what sex finds the armour, as when it is put on the eldar inside essentially ceases to exist, there is only Jain Zar.

Direhamster
18-01-2008, 11:45
I can easily imagine Dark Reaper feamle, but, tha's perhaps because im my mother tongue, Death is feamle....

...Or because I am married :D

Direhamster

IyandenAvatar
18-01-2008, 14:20
yes... eldar males who have taken to many anabolic steroids end up being in the banshees... boobies have to come from somewhere

pookie
18-01-2008, 14:29
yes... eldar males who have taken to many anabolic steroids end up being in the banshees... boobies have to come from somewhere

wow what a informative post :rolleyes:

now if the male eldar was on HRT ( or the eldar equivelant ) steroids wouldnt affect you lik ethat afaik.

IyandenAvatar
18-01-2008, 14:48
wow what a informative post :rolleyes:

you're welcome:D

Drasanil
18-01-2008, 18:50
especially when their civilisation is on the brink of destruction. Everyone counts. Everyones equal.

Actually that would be a case for a greater distinction in the role of the sexes in eldar society in my opinion. You only need a few males to breed but many many females if you ever hope to rebuild your population, and I think the eldar are definately smart enough to realise this.

I see the Howling bashees more as an outlet for females in eldar society, kind of like catholic nuns were for women in the middle ages, and usefull training ground should the craftworld ever be attacked and women be forced to defend themselves. Whch also accounts for female eldar being underrepresented model wise, they are smart enough to realise that if their race is going to survive they need to make sacrifices and mother more children.

Just a disclaimer I'm not advocating eldar chauvanisim, but rather that they are smart and practical enough as a whole to face up to reality (they are already ready to stoop to anything to save a few eldar lives) that most eldar females would willingly give up the more dangerous paths in order to further improve the chances of their races survival.

Lyonator
18-01-2008, 19:34
male banshees?
you know men who can complain enough to make someone's head pop?
:P

banshees are female because that fits with the name, and GW likes to toss saucy, curvy warrior women into their armies from time to time.