PDA

View Full Version : Empire V Dwarfs

Aladin_sane
15-01-2008, 19:50
Hi all, I wonder if anyone could help me out. At my local club when playing fantasy it's very dwarf heavy, it seems that roughly 60% of my games are against dwarfs, and using my Empire I have yet to win a game against them. Now I have only been playing Empire for about a year (give or take), but I am quite the hardy fantasy player so I guess its through lack of experience with the army that I'm having difficulty managing even slight victories when fighting dwarfs. I've used my empire against Tomb Kings, Lizardmen and Wood Elves and haven't run into the same difficulty as with dwarfs, so any pointers would be very helpful thanks in advance.

mav1971
15-01-2008, 19:58
With Empire cavalry you should be able to get some flank charges. And they have some good war machines, let alone you should be able to out number the dwarfs.

What kind of problems do you run into when playing against a dwarf army? Losing combat alot? Out shooting you?

Aladin_sane
15-01-2008, 20:10
What I find is that my war machines are unreliable to have an effective gun line, mine always seem to go BOOM! while the dwarfs runed and engineered or master engineered war machines hold steady. Therefore their gunline is superior to mine forcing me to make the first moves forward and in turn blasting me to atoms. And when I do manage to hit combat my units aren't big enough to accumulate decent combat res.

srintuar
15-01-2008, 20:31
use crossbows, you can outrange most of his guns that way, and force him to advance his thunderers.

Use magic: if he is buying master engineers, he might not enough anti-magic to deal with the lore of metal.

Use some knights: they are core, so you can get lots of them. They can take an awful lot of firepower, can destroy any warmachine, and with a flank charge they can break his infantry blocks. Tack on a mounted warpriest and they are amazing.

Target denial: if you dont have ideal cannon targets, the dwarven cannons will be wasted.
He can choose between killing 1 crossbowman, 1-2 knights, 2-4 archers, or 1-5 swordsmen. With no big monsters, no steam tanks, and no warmachines, there is very little that is worth a cannonball.

Aladin_sane
15-01-2008, 20:52
@srintuar - I really like the sound of those ideas, thanks.

Kahadras
15-01-2008, 21:25
I agree with a lot of what Srintuar said and Dwarfs are a nasty match up for Empire IMHO. They have better shooting, have good anti magic, more reliable warmachines and are tough in close combat as well. I think there are several ways to 'even up' the balance though.

First thing is to use maneuverability. Pistoliers and Outriders are a godsend against static armies like the Dwarfs. Basicaly you need to drop them down last when deploying after your opponant has already 'shown his hand' as it were. Aim to hit a couple of his shooting units with all the firepower you can muster in the early game. These are the most dangerous units IMHO as they can quickly deal with your lightly armoured Pistoliers and Outriders. The Pistoliers can then run round and annoy the large block units with little worry about retaliation.

Use your Warmachines in counterbattery fire. Great cannon can potentialy do a lot more damage to a Dwarf cannon due to their enhanced damage (D6 rather than D3). A lucky hit or two could suddenly see the Dwarfs having to shift fire to deal with your warmachines.

Another way to threaten Warmachines is use the old Captain on Pegasus trick. Give him full plate armour, a shield and the Sword of Power. Move him up in the first turn to where he can see the intended warmachine (try to use cover to hide him from LOS of other shooting the Dwarfs may have). Your opponant has one turn to deal with the threat or you're in close combat with a character with multiple strength six attacks. He will murder Dwarf crew and he's still fairly cheap.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kahadras

Shank
15-01-2008, 23:16
Believe it or not, I find when I am playing Dwarfs, I tend to forget about magic all together and take a couple of engineers. These guys really do improve the realiabilty of your warmachines. Use them with you cannon crews and take pigeon bombs. Yes, Pigeon Bombs! I have had great success with these angry birds. Can really put the hurt on the Dwarfs warmachine crew.
I find most Dwarf players go heavy on thunderers, so you should go heavy on Crossbows. This way you can out range him, plus, our crossbows are a lot cheaper. Lots of shots.
For your rare, make sure you take Helstorms. Any guns or warmachines deployed on the hills are easy targets. Also great for messing with the Anvil.
Leave big juicey targets at home like Steam Tanks and War Altars. Cannons and bolt throwers will mess these up quick.
Infantry choices should center around Flaggelants, Halberdiers and GreatSwords. These guys are reall nice against dwarfs because Empire should get the charge and should go first in combats that go over a few rounds (even greatswords if you face them up with Hammerers or other Greatweapon wielding Dwarfs).
And of course, Knights are a must.
If you want to be real sneaky, take Ludwig Schwartzhelm as your Battle Standard. He is awesome.

SJM
16-01-2008, 02:03
Might I suggest taking a mortar? The dwarf player in my group likes to cluster his troops in large blocks in one corner generally.

Shank
16-01-2008, 02:46
Might I suggest taking a mortar? The dwarf player in my group likes to cluster his troops in large blocks in one corner generally.

The mortar is a poor choice against Dwarfs. Their high toughness and very good armor shrugs off mortar blasts with ease. Plus they take up a valuable special slot better served for cannons. Besides, who needs a mortar when you have the Helstorm! Same pie plate template as mortar, but Strength 5!!

sulla
16-01-2008, 05:52
The mortar is a poor choice against Dwarfs. Their high toughness and very good armor shrugs off mortar blasts with ease. Plus they take up a valuable special slot better served for cannons. Besides, who needs a mortar when you have the Helstorm! Same pie plate template as mortar, but Strength 5!!

Mortar and Hellstorm are pretty much six of one and half a dozen of the other, though, One is more powerful but the other is more accurate. (Heck, you can even have one of each if you wish.

Main thing I'd go for is the lore of metal on a mage and a magelord to get the default spell and hopefully spirit of the forge. It can make a real mess of ironbreakers and those super-armoured characters.

Dendo Star
16-01-2008, 06:19
2 Helstrom rocket batteries will solve all your problems.