PDA

View Full Version : Thrown weapons and blowpipes

BattleofLund
16-01-2008, 11:21
... has there ever been an official explanation? For the range issue?

I am aware that there has to be rules, and the rules don't (and can't) exactly reflect actual physics...

... but seriously, blowpipes having the advantage of RANGE over javelins?

My request of you:
a) explain in layman's terms why it's right that blowpipe darts go further than javelins
and/or
b) explain why the rule makes sense to you, from a rules' utility perspective

Thank you.
/BattleofLund

superknijn
16-01-2008, 11:28
Percieved game balance, probably.

Mercules
16-01-2008, 14:52
Um... Skinks have weak arms and strong lungs? :D

m1s1n
16-01-2008, 15:23
As mentioned before, rules in the game don't reflect the rules in reality.
It might not help, but there has to be a certain amount of willing suspension of disbelief when playing with little plastic men.

Although I like the "Skinks have strong lungs" idea.

EvC
16-01-2008, 15:35
Oh well, small dart, large javelin, and Skinks obviously don't have the greatest arm muscle development...

Griefbringer
16-01-2008, 16:24
Probably the game developers have never fired a blowpipe, either.

theunwantedbeing
16-01-2008, 16:27
Skinks cant throw a javelin anywhere near as far as the average olympic javelin thrower can. Dont give them unfair expectations, they are only skinks afterall.

That and they probably shoot bee's from their blowpipes.

Caboose123
16-01-2008, 17:11
Um... Skinks have weak arms and strong lungs? :D

LOL :D :)
Very good

Im not an expert on darts but does it not make sense for darts to go farther?

Darts are very small (duh) and the tube creates a large amount of pressure, javelins have air resistance and gravity to deal with (and darts dont lol... SUPERDART)
Darts are sharper and are effective over a longer distance than javelins who need to be close in order to be travelling at a speed which will hurt people.

Still, it was prolly done for balance; atm it is a tough choice between darts or javelins, i bet you want long range javelins you ch*esy git :D

EvC
16-01-2008, 17:33
And remember, at the end of the day: a Wizard did it.

wildkarrde0
16-01-2008, 17:41
something else to note that the javalin throw accuratly from too far olympic javalin throwers aren't try to hit moving targets at 80 meter aqlso the way you throw to hit a target would reduce the range as well i would think anybody do sports sciences maybe they would have the answer

The Adept
16-01-2008, 20:17
The thing that gets me with skinks and blowpipes is the shortage of lips that skinks suffer from. The models, background and pictures all show a total of zero lips for the entire skink population - wouldn't this make it very difficult to use a blowpipe?

Caboose123
16-01-2008, 21:41
Have you tried blowing a blowpipe without lips?
It could be even MORE effective... :D

BattleofLund
17-01-2008, 04:24
Darts are sharper and are effective over a longer distance than javelins who need to be close in order to be travelling at a speed which will hurt people.

Still, it was prolly done for balance; atm it is a tough choice between darts or javelins, i bet you want long range javelins you ch*esy git :D

Chaos player here, my javelins are carried by fast cav - range isn't really a problem.

something else to note that the javalin throw accuratly from too far olympic javalin throwers aren't try to hit moving targets at 80 meter aqlso the way you throw to hit a target would reduce the range as well i would think anybody do sports sciences maybe they would have the answer

Accuracy, both to wildkarrde and Caboose: darts are smaller and lighter than javelins, let's agree on that. Therefore air resistance and wind deviance will be bigger problems for blowpipe-darts than throwing-spears. Remember it's not Darts darts we're talking about (even if the same goes for war javelins - they're smaller than the sports variants).

The thing that gets me with skinks and blowpipes is the shortage of lips that skinks suffer from. The models, background and pictures all show a total of zero lips for the entire skink population - wouldn't this make it very difficult to use a blowpipe?

That too. You need some kind of air-tight seal between your stomach/throat and the pipe to prevent air pressure bleeding.

Thanks for all your replies.