PDA

View Full Version : Ex staff

Matt121
16-01-2008, 14:42
Hi all, i'm actually curious but forgive me if this comes across as pointless,
How many users here are ex GW staffers? There seems to be quite a few from what i can discern but i'm interested in the total number. Part of the reason i ask is that GW only has 2 stores in the irish republic & 1 in Belfast & AFAIK i seem to be the only irish user here who has worked for GW (if i'm not let me know); so ex staffers, who are you? (usernames :D), where did you work?, whats your funniest/worst experience while wearing the shirt? And why did you eventually leave? (Optional question of course). Thanks in advance.

daemonkin
16-01-2008, 16:26
I served 2 years for my sins in GW Belfast. Came to a point when I did not even pursue the hobby outside working hours.

Left for a job in IT (my uni degree) but am still a keen gamer (although I have broadened my horizons) focusing on Epic and various Wizkids games such as Pirates and Horrorclix.

Looking forward to the new VC book as well!

D.

ChildofFang
16-01-2008, 16:41
I worked as a keytimer for a short period and surely the best benefit you can get is the dicount. Main reason I took the job, the worst being every little bat that fits the stereotype. I had to leave with the dissapearance of key timers as I couldn't commit in the times the store would use part timers.

Ex-Blueshirt
16-01-2008, 17:01
Ten months in Cribbs Causeway Bristol. Best memory of the job was getting a leaving card from one of the kids who came in all the time.
I didnt even get a goodbye from my manager.

Lardidar
16-01-2008, 18:00
Fulltime at York ... for a year and a bit.

nurgle_boy
16-01-2008, 18:15
Ten months in Cribbs Causeway Bristol. Best memory of the job was getting a leaving card from one of the kids who came in all the time.

hmm.. Ever work GW Bath at all?

I'm not ex myself, but I intend one day to be! I intend to own this company one day, or get fired trying :p

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-01-2008, 18:37
Preston store for a year, maybe more.

My then girlf left me for someone else and I went nuts. Bettererer now *twitches* hehe.

I loved my job so much. Even if I wasnt particularly good at the selling part!

Ex-Blueshirt
16-01-2008, 18:56

I'm not ex myself, but I intend one day to be! I intend to own this company one day, or get fired trying :p

Never, went there once or twice. In 06 Cribbs was covering Bath, and Bristol for that matter, on a daily basis. As i was on probation at the time i didnt get shipped to other stores, my colleages did. And thats why most of them left.

El-Diablo
16-01-2008, 19:20
I did 2 years in Slough (key-time) before being fired for being 'too aggressive'.

Or thats what the forms said.

Fact is the new manager (fresh out of squad leader and very much a 'yes' man) took a dislike to me the second he went into the store.

I intend to win the Slayer Sword one year and run the little S-O-B through.

Not bitter at all.

darkstar
16-01-2008, 19:42
I worked in the Wolverhampton store for nearly a year as a full timer. Worst parts were people who whinged about how expensive it is. Don't confuse expensive with what you can't afford. That, and people (staff included) talking about World of Warcraft. The best bit was the kids, who still had such passion for the hobby, and still knew what optimism was.

RevEv
16-01-2008, 20:04
3 months in Cribbs between Theological College and Ordination (Seriously! - you should have seen the look on the faces of my lecturers when they saw me there).

Still consider it one of the best jobs I've ever had, after working for myself as a gardener and the one I have now.

kairous
16-01-2008, 20:59

i take it your still in the company then?

whats it like, and from the things i have found out about it, what has made you stay with it????

im curious as i am/was contemplating getting a job with GW full time.

Maynard
16-01-2008, 21:01
I'm ex,Dublin-liffey street mainly,stopped to complete my degree.Best damn job ever

Moralein
16-01-2008, 21:41
Key timer in the old Sutton store. Got fired after two months, mainly because I told them I could only help out for the three months before I moved to Uni. Pretty easy job, no real responsibility, paid enough for a student and a great discount.

El-Diablo
16-01-2008, 22:19
Key timer in the old Sutton store. Got fired after two months, mainly because I told them I could only help out for the three months before I moved to Uni. Pretty easy job, no real responsibility, paid enough for a student and a great discount.

'Old' Sutton store? Has it moved out of the St Nicholas center now or is it still upstairs?

Matt121
16-01-2008, 22:30
Ah Maynard i'm not the only one...you ever take part in the staff floor challenge? Drove the managers mad!!!

Pelskwig
16-01-2008, 22:40
I worked in a mixture of Southend and Thurrock-Lakeside stores (occasionly Bluewater too) for Three years. I left three years ago for a job that payed better so I could afford to save to go back to Uni.

I enjoyed the job, was pretty easy going. There are some dicks working for the company (as afformenttioned, the management 'yes men') but hey, what company doesnt have them ? There are also some bloody cracking people working there who are among some of the best people I've met.

Major downside, it killed my hobby. Outside of work I was barely interested in it at all, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week kinda does that to ya in some ways.

I'm getting back into the swing now though, trying to enthuse myself into a painting frenzy.

I have nothing bad to say really about working for Workshop. Its not the sort of job you could make a living solely out of in my opinion, but thats not why you'd take it I dont think.

Angelwing
17-01-2008, 01:54
I did a couple of years for GW Luton. Known as the managers graveyard due to the managerial turnover. I went through 5 in my time there.
Good times: memorable lock in games, people met and the discount.
Bad times: Being stabbed in the back by my area manager and forced out of my job by bullying and barely legal practices. I left after I carried the store as a step in manager for two months into christmas, and was then forced out because I wasn't doing the job properly. Not surprising, as I was a key timer working 60 hours a week who had never run a retail store, managed staff or had any related training beyond cashing up the till.
Our manager left to work the Watford store (which made more money and was more important running up to christmas) and we were quite literally abandoned to our own devices to plan the rota, order stock and fill out the hours worked forms so we could be paid. My area manager only turned up the once to supervise the stock take (which we had half done when he did appear).
It was a planned move to give him a feeble but legal excuse get rid of us all for 'failing to carry out our jobs to a satisfactory standard'.

Atrum Angelus
17-01-2008, 06:40
Well... I'm not an ex-staffer, I'm just a staffer. Just paying off some debt before I move on to my Masters degree. I work at the Winnipeg store (Manitoba, Canada for those who don't know where Winnipeg is). I love working at GW. Aside from student/summer jobs doing what I intend to do as a careeer (archaeology) GW has been the best job I've had.

*points to sig*

Moralein
17-01-2008, 07:17
'Old' Sutton store? Has it moved out of the St Nicholas center now or is it still upstairs?

As far as I know it was always in the St Nicholas centre, but it did move within the centre. However I looked in the latest WD last night and it's no longer listed, I assume it's been closed.

escobar
17-01-2008, 08:21
worked in Dublin (Liffey St) as a key timer many years ago ('98-99) for 8 months while I was studying. good fun and great people but did the sunday afternoon kids big battle every week for months on end...

Brother Axel
17-01-2008, 08:31
Hi All

for what its worth:

Full timer mainly at GW Bristol (old pre-demolition store) for a couple of years at the height of the LoTR period.

I enjoyed my time there, though as everyone knows the pay is crap. Worked with some good blokes (and some utter numbties as well).

Left for a variety of reasons before it all went tits up

cheers for now
Brother Axel

OrlyggJafnakol
17-01-2008, 08:40
I never worked for GW. But I worked for Toys R Us for 13 months . According to what I have read in this thread the companies are very similar. A few good blokes here and there but most of the managers were two faced pains in the rear end who gakked their pants as soon as they saw an area manager and imposed ridiculous rules and sanctions of their young and inexperienced workforce...

I was wondering if anyone on Warseer had any experience of being a staff member in the design studio? And how that compared to the 'retail experience'?

leonmallett
17-01-2008, 09:02
Worked for about 3 months in Liverpool before going to open up Chester with a couple of others. I stayed at Chester for about 2 and a half years or so before leaving to go back to college. I found my interest in the hobby had burned out whilst working, so much so that I hated painting my own models, so never finished armies. I returned to the hobby aproximately 6 years later and developed a new passion for the hobby, so much so that in the last few years I have painted 3 armies, am painting my 4th and have several others in various stages of construction.

dancingmonkey
17-01-2008, 09:07
three years GW maidstone. It had its ups and downs...

Quit after the offer for managment training as the £13,000 wage sucks big time.

JonesRob
17-01-2008, 09:11
Worked for a year in Slough and Maidenhead stores. Probably the best job ive had in terms of job satisfaction. Really good blokes to work with and alot more relaxed atmosphere compared to some other more "in your face" stores. Reasons for leaving was purely pay as i moved house and i needed to make rent

Would deffinately re-apply if the pay was better or i won the lottery and didnt need money :p

nurgle_boy
17-01-2008, 09:32
i take it your still in the company then?

whats it like, and from the things i have found out about it, what has made you stay with it????

im curious as i am/was contemplating getting a job with GW full time.

No, no, I dont work there... yet :D As of yet I am too young, but despite what some say, I still want to work for the company.

Send/Recv
17-01-2008, 11:27
Yeah i worked for about 4years for the company. Was really fun and being part time meant it was a lot more relaxed than it was for the Full timers with all their targets.
I left for a number of reasons....
Darkstar what period did you work in the Wolves store..who are you? I cant stand WOW did you work in any other stores in the region?

Psycho_Laughs
17-01-2008, 11:43
18 months at richmond BC.
fired for "insubordination". aparently complaining that you're doing more work than your better paid (not by much) full time co-worker is a bad move :eek:

the last 5 months were terrible. but the first 13 were really fun, i worked there with my best buddy, and one of the other guys there is still a good buddy of mine. many good times spent rolling dice and playing hero-hammer.

best memory is actually coming in for my shift the day after my birthday to see my best buddy really hanged-over from the birthday party the night before. also new years day where me and the other buddy had gone to the same party and were both recked... we "forgot" to put our uniforms on.

"go away kid, we're busy doing nothing"... priceless...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-01-2008, 13:06
Tunbridge Wells store, two tours of duty. First one for about 2 years, doing the Veterans Nights and weekends, then again for about 4 months when I had no other job.

Was never that great at it to be honest, but I did the hours nobody else would touch, and had a pretty great time. Let me tell you, holding down two jobs, one full time, and the other giving you hefty discount, well, you end up with more models than you can shake a stick at!

dancingmonkey
17-01-2008, 13:12
Hey MDG. what period did you work at Tunbridge Wells? Was it under Mick?
Just interested to know if we ever met...

Regards.

Jon.

the buzz
17-01-2008, 15:50
OK here goes:

Started Part Time at Southend, then moved up to Full, then went back to Part time (Uni)
Transferred to High Wycombe Part time (this all spanned about 5 years !!)

Then went Part time at Guildford, then Full time, then Management training at Kingston - then Manager at Maidenhead - Left because I becames a Manager, got more responsibilty, but dropped £5000 a year in wages !!!! (this all spanned about 2 years !!)

Phew !

kairous
17-01-2008, 17:50
is there anyone on these forums that still works for GW?

El-Diablo
17-01-2008, 19:16
As far as I know it was always in the St Nicholas centre, but it did move within the centre. However I looked in the latest WD last night and it's no longer listed, I assume it's been closed.

I was a reg before it moved within the center, when Kirstin (now 'Eavy Metal) was one of the full timers.

I had it quite good in that store, my g/f at the time worked in the wedding dress shop opposite so I got to see the stock room in that store many times. ;)

Pity they moved it though. The old store had plenty of room but the shop fitters had a field day with the weeding dress shop and chopped it in half. Bloody tiny.

Its still in the WD listings, under the heading 'London'.

Matt121
17-01-2008, 20:37
Any of you have an in house 'staff games' that you played when it was quiet? Weird stuff, we had several, the most famous being 'the staff floor challenge', it basically entailed a member of staff lying down on the floor (while the manager wasn't about) until someone said something. It was suprising to find most people would act very awkwardly whilst pretending there was nothing amiss, produced some very funny moments. The all time record is 17 minutes held by one of the guys i worked with. The things you do when you're supposed to be busy working... :-)

Galdur Hrafnsson
18-01-2008, 03:37
is there anyone on these forums that still works for GW?

If you're a staffer (at least in the UK) you're forbidden from posting on forums like Warseer (I was told this one of my first shifts, including the words "Like Warseer"), and if they find out you post here or sell anything on ebay, you can be instantly fired. Of course, that never stopped some of us, we got our best rumours on here, which we then repeated to any regulars we knew would be interested... who probably came back and posted on here ;)

I used to work in the London area, left because I didn't have anywhere to live (I'm from oop north myself... in fact, I share a home town with Nick Kyme, he used to live round the corner... I remember when the little tinker was a key timer!). I wanted to keep working, and commuting, but it cost as much to get there and back as I was paid, after my hours were cut down to one shift a week. So I left, no bad feelings on my end.

I'd say which store I used to work at, but I think at least a couple of regulars post here.

starlight
18-01-2008, 04:19
In Canada you were (it may have changed) allowed to post (many people were known to have accounts, I was encouraged to have an obvious one on Portent;)), however if you were discovered leaking anything it was a firing offence, much like selling product that you hadn't genuinely used. Old armies were okay, flipping product was not.

Atrum Angelus
18-01-2008, 05:39
In Canada you were (it may have changed) allowed to post (many people were known to have accounts, I was encouraged to have an obvious one on Portent;)), however if you were discovered leaking anything it was a firing offence, much like selling product that you hadn't genuinely used. Old armies were okay, flipping product was not.

You're still allowed. I know of a at least 3 other staffers who post here or on other GW-game-related forums.

Glabro
18-01-2008, 14:19

What....the pussy didn't have the guts to tell it to you himself? What a sissy.

TearInTheRain
18-01-2008, 15:37
We had no specific rules regarding posting on forums but we where discouraged from doing so (5 years at GW Manchester, UK) especially when it came to stuff that was close to confidential info.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-01-2008, 15:43
Hey MDG. what period did you work at Tunbridge Wells? Was it under Mick?
Just interested to know if we ever met...

Regards.

Jon.

Indeed I did. He was Manager for both my stints, but only the last few months of my first time.

TheRack and I did quite a lot of cool stuff when Mik was in charge. I collected in results at Conflict London, when that knob one it with his beardy Tyranids, we repped GW at Salute, running the then new Necromunda (why does everyone knock it? It's not that different) and I work like 2 or 3 Games Days.

Happy Days those.

kairous
18-01-2008, 18:23
No, no, I dont work there... yet :D As of yet I am too young, but despite what some say, I still want to work for the company.

same, or i at least want to try it for a couple of years and see alot of what i have heard and read for myself.
Quick question anyone know how application works, as in if i apply at a store will i only get a position at that store, or will they keep me in circulation or something?

Ex-Blueshirt
18-01-2008, 18:31
same, or i at least want to try it for a couple of years and see alot of what i have heard and read for myself.
Quick question anyone know how application works, as in if i apply at a store will i only get a position at that store, or will they keep me in circulation or something?

It all depends on how efficent the manager of the store is. In my experience hiring staff is a low priority. For example, in Cribbs, over the course of three months four staff left. It wasnt untill there was one scared, tired looking full timer was left that they pulled their fingers out.
Also I applied for the Bristol store, but as there was no manager there at the time i did my probation at Cribbs on the proviso that I be moved to Bristol when it was up. D'ya think it happened.

Lord Inquisitor
18-01-2008, 18:52
I worked for GW for quite some time, maybe 5 years as a key timer here and there. Hammersmith, Ealing Broadway (before it died), Cambridge. Covered at some point at just about every GW in London.

only joking...
18-01-2008, 19:01
I worked for GW for quite some time, maybe 5 years as a key timer here and there. Hammersmith, Ealing Broadway (before it died), Cambridge. Covered at some point at just about every GW in London.
hey, i used to go to the ealing store back when i was a kid, why did it close down ?:cries: lol

darkstar
18-01-2008, 19:15
Darkstar what period did you work in the Wolves store..who are you? I cant stand WOW did you work in any other stores in the region?
Up until December 2007. I was briefly transferred to the Merry Hell store, in the middle of summer, while the air conditioning was bust. I don't do well in heat, but it was novel. Other than that, I've covered every store in the west midlands at some point.

who are you?
I'm Guy.

Lord Inquisitor
18-01-2008, 19:18
hey, i used to go to the ealing store back when i was a kid, why did it close down ?:cries: lol

Someone higher-up forgot to renew the lease. The shopping center agreed to set up a new lease, at a massively higher price. So the shop shut down!

only joking...
18-01-2008, 19:37
wow so a mixture of incompetance on the staff's part and greed from the good folks at the broadway... sigh :wtf:
thanks for the info :)

heldane
19-01-2008, 15:54
*Raises Hand*

I too have worked for GW. Pulled a stint in eastbourne as a keytimer for 9 months in 2003 and then transferred to Maidstone for 19 Months working for part of that with DancingMonkey.

Then transferred back to keytimer in eastbourne, with the promise of a full time position within 2 months. Did I get it? No! They made me redundant in the keytime shuffle they had!

Dan

kairous
19-01-2008, 17:38
question for all you ex-staffers, as i have yet to see a staffer on here, anyway, i know that you either have to work GD at the event or at your store, but, if you work the event, do you actually get a chance to wander and do anything?

heldane
19-01-2008, 17:59
question for all you ex-staffers, as i have yet to see a staffer on here, anyway, i know that you either have to work GD at the event or at your store, but, if you work the event, do you actually get a chance to wander and do anything?

Haha! Thats wishful thinking!

Gamesday's are the most hideous day to work. You get barely enough time to eat, let alone go wander.

Add to that the fact that if your store is a fair distance away from Birmingham you'll be working from maybe 3am till about 11pm.

Dan

kairous
19-01-2008, 20:02
Haha! Thats wishful thinking!

Gamesday's are the most hideous day to work. You get barely enough time to eat, let alone go wander.

Add to that the fact that if your store is a fair distance away from Birmingham you'll be working from maybe 3am till about 11pm.

Dan

:eek:Really????
Then why do staff always rate GD so highly:confused:, if they never even get a chance to enjoy it, in that respect surely staying at the store would be better then, given the hours you described.
LOL, yet more things that i had learnt about the company, that don't sound so hot.

heldane
19-01-2008, 20:03
Really????
Then why do staff always rate GD so highly, if they never even get a chance to enjoy it, in that respect surely staying at the store would be better then, given the hours you described.
LOL, yet more things that i had learnt about the company, that don't sound so hot.

There was a £50 bonus to work it, and you have to be there to get the staff GD t-shirts.

kairous
19-01-2008, 20:07
ahhhhh, so its the closest thing to overtime that GW staffers will ever get, LOL, am i right? as, as far as i know (that sounded weird), you guys don't get paid overtime.

Ironbreaker
19-01-2008, 20:20
It's interesting to see some people from Belfast worked in the GW.
I'm quite surprised to see people from Belfast on here, anyway.

bop
19-01-2008, 20:46

i enjoy doing games day either at the event or at the store (the event is better) it amazing how many people you meet there who you haven't seen for ages and off course the atmosphere is awesome. i have had a chanceto look around it means stuffing your food down in seconds but then that hides the taste! well worth it .
bop

kairous
19-01-2008, 21:00
so what do you do there just run a stand all day or something? i find it hard to believe that you don't get any chance to wander, pick stuff up, or chat to people.

Lord Inquisitor
19-01-2008, 21:24
It depended - if you were running a gaming table, most of the day involved running that game but you could have small breaks between games and you could at least talk to people during the day. If you worked on the retail part you were just hawking stuff every spare second and only got about a half hour break all day - absolute insanity.

Matt121
19-01-2008, 21:48

:eyebrows:Why so suprised that people from Belfast worked for GW? :confused:

darkstar
20-01-2008, 02:17
Actually, if his store runs a coach, he'll be on that. I worked GD retail this year and it was one of the best experiences I've had working for the company.

Atrum Angelus
20-01-2008, 09:47

I already said I was a current staffer.

And to answer you question, you get to wander GD on your break. Otherwise, you're working. :(

kairous
20-01-2008, 16:49
I already said I was a current staffer.

And to answer you question, you get to wander GD on your break. Otherwise, you're working. :(

sorry dude, must have missed you, given the fact their are so many ex-staffers on here.

Now that you mention it when i went to GD last year, i did see alot of staffers from things like the conversion demon wandering around quite abit, guess its good if you get put on an event that finishes early.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
20-01-2008, 17:06
There was a £50 bonus to work it, and you have to be there to get the staff GD t-shirts.

Really? For the two Games Days I worked, I got paid the usual rate, plus £100 premium.

But yeah, Games Days are a giggle to work, though I would far rather do retail than run a game. You can usually slope off for an hour or so on top of your lunch, if you're sneaky enough. Not like nobody else does it.

Plus, as you're in your staff GD Tee, you can just go round the staff/studio side of the tables, and avoid having to queue up. HAHA!

captain_bas
20-01-2008, 23:09
Plus, as you're in your staff GD Tee, you can just go round the staff/studio side of the tables, and avoid having to queue up. HAHA!

Ha. Whatever you say dude. I can see Max, Dave or Gabrio chewing you out righteously in front of everybody if you did that these days.

Seriously, if you go to Games Day in a staff shirt, you're there to work, and have got to expect to do exactly that. There's a chance that, due to massive workload and poor planning, you might not even get a lunch, and if you do, it will be 20-30 minutes, and you'll be so tired and hungry from all the bloody work, wandering around will be the last thing on your mind.

I was lucky enough to be taking pictures for White Dwarf for one of the three times I went as staff. I met guys who had been at work up since 4am, and had been looking after kids ever since. Obviously, these guys didn't care, because they lived, breathed and bled GW. But for anyone who wants to get a chance to look around at their leisure and be part of the Games Day Experience, you won't get it as a staffer, unless you're a ten-year vet with a VIP free pass, a manager with no-one to answer to, or a White Dwarf photographer like I was.

CB.

Tzar Boris
21-01-2008, 04:37
Ha Ha, oh yes, the fun that is working GamesDay! Managed to avoid it three times but ended up havin to go this year. Skived all through it. As for timings -
let's put it this way -
about 72 hours and two packs of Pro Plus.

I got out cos GW's being ran into ground by money monkeys and sickened by tired and formulaic rules, models and events. Not half the fun as it used to be. Not half the company. Seriously, I haven't even opened my copy of Apocalypse, or touched glue or spray let alone a brush for months.

Perhaps GW should provide sabbaticals for everyone. You need to breathe different air occasionally I think. Take a real step back. It's amazing the potential of that company. If only someone listened at the top - heck even near the top...

Neds/Chavs don't even bother trying to wind shop staff up anymore. It's sad really.

Verm1s
21-01-2008, 13:29
I served 2 years for my sins in GW Belfast. Came to a point when I did not even pursue the hobby outside working hours.

Left for a job in IT (my uni degree)...

I miss ya, man. :( Most entertaining thing that goes on now is trying to guess which new army Rick will start each week.

I haven't worked for GW, but I've been told I should (in a more... creative, than retail aspect ;)). The people who do so don't seem to understand that manacles chafe my ankles.

Ironbreaker
21-01-2008, 14:10
:eyebrows:Why so suprised that people from Belfast worked for GW? :confused:

I meant that I was pleasantly surprised. :)
Also, I didn't say that I was surprised about people working there but that I found it interesting.

Matt121
21-01-2008, 14:21
I meant that I was pleasantly surprised. :)
Also, I didn't say that I was surprised about people working there but that I found it interesting.

Yes but i'm just curious as to why, i mean with certain groups in Northern Ireland its just such a pity that they didn't limit their fighting to the tabletop instead of the streets (Note, please don't jump down my throat as that was a joke):angel: Why such a suprise about Belfast & not say Dublin or Edinburgh? Don't worry you're not on trial i'm not with the Inquisition:D

Ironbreaker
21-01-2008, 14:23
Because my local GW is the Belfast one. :P

Matt121
21-01-2008, 15:29
Ah GW Belfast, curiousity satisfied thank you; I remember many a prank call made from GW Dublin to Belfast & vice versa, e.g. 'Hello do you sell model soldiers?,
'Why yes we do, what are you looking for?', 'How much is that new starship troopers miniature game?' (Twas only released at the time),
'we don't sell that', yes you do!'
I'm sorry sir but we don't stock it.
'You do, i was in there last week, i saw it & asked about it...'

It used to wind them up something fierce. Btw all the ex UK staffers on here, if you worked from about 2002-2004 & got any weird phone calls in the store then it just might have been us!!!

NallTWD
21-01-2008, 17:58
I haven't read much in this thread yet, but I'm an ex redshirt form the Boston Metro, October 2003-July 2007

kairous
21-01-2008, 19:25
heres a question, im hoping you guys can answer.

i saw that the site says that the event is to find candidates to work in GW stores, it then goes on to name specific stores that are involved with the event. Does this mean that if i am a successful candidate, will i be sent to one of those stores, or will i be sent to one closer, or with in a reasonalbe travel distance of my home territory?

any answers or input would be good:D

im beginning to think it might just be easier to apply to the stores that are in my local area as it where, anyone who does geography would be a great help on this.
Well i live in ashtead so that would mean my local stores would be, epsom, sutton and kingston, ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, thats all i got:)

darkstar
22-01-2008, 00:26
Enquire in your local stores. They should keep a stock of application forms, that you should spend some time thinking over, and they might even tell you of a local recruitment day. I'd probably suggest going for a recruitment day rather than handing an app. in.

Imus
22-01-2008, 01:38
im a ex staff member, worked at woking an guildford, i enjoyed me time there it was a hoot. Had its down points but as a key timer i really enjoyed me job and the guys i worked with.

Galdur Hrafnsson
22-01-2008, 02:33
Who's running Epsom these days? And is Sam (Ginger goatee, big lad) still a full-timer at Sutton? And Kingston... go and bug them!

I wouldn't need to ask these questions, but I've been away from the UK for a month, and so can't find out myself ;)

gitburna
22-01-2008, 16:39
i worked for Gee Dubya nearly 10 years ago, just on the cross-over between 2nd and 3rd editions. Bought myself a nice little dark eldar army using the discount. It was a second job though, i was only working 3 or 4 days a week in my main job at the time. Anyways, i had to go because christmas was upcoming and they needed someone who could do more hours.

On a sidenote, there was a reeeeaaaaal idiot who worked in training or personnel or something, whichever department it was that dealt with the induction courses for staff. If anyone remembers David Brent's mate "Chris Finch" from the UK version of The Office, he was exactly like that. It was like some kind of crap "Good cop Bad cop" routine on induction. Jeez.

kairous
22-01-2008, 17:46
Who's running Epsom these days? And is Sam (Ginger goatee, big lad) still a full-timer at Sutton? And Kingston... go and bug them!

I wouldn't need to ask these questions, but I've been away from the UK for a month, and so can't find out myself ;)

Jim/james is the current epsom manager, don't know his last name, i know that he came from kingston though.
Other members well, we got ed and neil, full timers and steve the key/part timer.
And i was thinking of popping down to the my local stores or the ones in the surrey and london area, as i got a response about the recruitment days from GW, turns out if i get a job they will only send me to one i can easily travel too, which sort of rules out all the shops in the list.
In which case does anyone know if the stores in these areas are in need of full timers?

torealis
23-01-2008, 10:35
Hullo, I'm a current staff member at GW Bromley, working fulltime. I, for one, love the job. I've found my hobby has suffered a bit, and there are times i want to murder children. But other than that, its awesome. Its surprisingly challenging and always good fun.

Sam is still full time at sutton, and Gtrotsnik, i was a regular at Twells just before mik left, he was a class act... that guy could sell beef to a vegan and a whore to the pope.

On a side note, i saw some ciriticism of managers earlier, i would say that working in bromley, we host regional manager's meetings for london and the east, and all the managers ive met have been ace... but then they did lend me the new VC codex one day...

Huw_Dawson
23-01-2008, 10:59
I intend to get a job at GW in either Nottingham, London or Oxford, depending where I end up at Uni. Money, get to continue my hobby whilst at Uni, and I already have plenty of experiance working with kids and selling products.

Well, not selling products, but if you work in a school library, you have to force the books down their throats sometimes...

- Huw

Angelwing
24-01-2008, 04:20
.... and there are times i want to murder children. But other than that, its awesome.

Don't remind me!!
Good to hear you are having a (mostly) good time!

the buzz
24-01-2008, 11:07
Kairous - The GW Epsom Manager is Jim Hoy,

He is an excellent bloke (he was my 'Veteran' when I was on the Managers Course) I also no Ed from Epsom, he was a Full timer when I was at Kingston

Scragglefoot
24-01-2008, 16:13
Ex member 'o' staff worked in the Oxford branch for 9 months it was traveling costs and sanity to blame for leaving there. i really enjoyed the job i found the customers very funny, the main downside was the manager while i was there he was a nut job he used to kick boxes and paint around and stap files to the wall in the stockroom/staff area, he made us all work overtime everyday was working 12 hours some days with only 30mins lunch if lucky he left now thou so its much better :-)

I worked games day as well on the retail stand you didn't have to do any selling there was one staff member shouting out "we've only got x left of x" causing neverending swarms of people throwing money at you it was insane.

then i worked as a key timer in the Reading (the second store not the first or third one!!!!) for a couple of months as a keytimer just sundays really

Galdur Hrafnsson
24-01-2008, 17:33
The Buzz - When were you at Kingston? May or may not know you...

kairous
24-01-2008, 21:35
Kairous - The GW Epsom Manager is Jim Hoy,

He is an excellent bloke (he was my 'Veteran' when I was on the Managers Course) I also no Ed from Epsom, he was a Full timer when I was at Kingston

yeah he is a good chap, as is ed, i will need to get an application form from jim when i turn 18 (march), i will also ask him if he knows if there are any GW full time job openings in the surrey and london area, as epsom fall under both for some reason;)

Major King
24-01-2008, 23:16
I worked in the Oxford store there for a while in 2006 to 2007.

the buzz
25-01-2008, 13:38
Galdur - it was about 2 - 3 years ago, I was a 'Trainee Manager' when the shop was staffed by Jim, John, Ed, Luke & Shem

Cheers,

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-01-2008, 23:10
Hullo, I'm a current staff member at GW Bromley, working fulltime. I, for one, love the job. I've found my hobby has suffered a bit, and there are times i want to murder children. But other than that, its awesome. Its surprisingly challenging and always good fun.

Sam is still full time at sutton, and Gtrotsnik, i was a regular at Twells just before mik left, he was a class act... that guy could sell beef to a vegan and a whore to the pope.

On a side note, i saw some ciriticism of managers earlier, i would say that working in bromley, we host regional manager's meetings for london and the east, and all the managers ive met have been ace... but then they did lend me the new VC codex one day...

Then we probably know each other, as I'm about as regular there as an old lady eating prunes with All Bran.... I'm Ross, tall, Scottish, long hair, goatee beard. I tend to be seen wearing my Pirate coat which is rapidly losing buttons?

Galdur Hrafnsson
26-01-2008, 04:51
I think I probably just missed out on meeting you... I knew Jim, Ed, Kocher and Shem from when I was a regular in there.

darksidemonkey
16-02-2008, 21:03
Worked in GW London at the Plaza on Oxford St. in the late 80's. Loved it, and the people I worked with. Also covered Hammersmith, Harrow, and Beckenham when the staffers at those shops needed a day off :)
It was one of the greatest jobs I ever had, not the best pay, but loved introducing kids to the hobby. Remember pushing the two pingpong tables together and having some incredibly massive 40k sessions on Saturdays. It was amazing how many people we could cram in that little space.
I look back fondly on the people I met at GW, and while I did not always agree with everything from the powers that be, I also understand that the view from steering the car, is much different from that in the back seat. I regret having lost touch with them.

MvS
17-02-2008, 00:12
Ha! I worked in GW Plaza from 2000 to 2001.

Snap.

Jedi152
17-02-2008, 00:29
I'm still tempted to apply to WW for weekend work.

I'm just worried it'll probably be too cliquey.

bringerofdecay
17-02-2008, 00:41
would love to work PT at GW, GW brighton/eastbourne/Tumbridge wells would suit me fine :p

kairous
17-02-2008, 17:36
about 2 weeks more and i can go pick up an application form, but im not as bothered if i don't get the job, as i have found something else that pays better, that i may have just as good a chance of getting.
Of course if they offered me a full time position i would porbably do it for a couple of years.

bananaman
17-02-2008, 19:20
Ex MO troll here. 2000 onwards.

thrasymacus
19-02-2008, 08:03
1 year, 2007, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada.

The Good; teachings people to paint, having fun with kids, getting over shyness and approach anxiety to do pressure sales. Learning about sales was also a benefit.

The Bad; Management was stacked with 'yes' men. Interacting with people was very 'scripted', at least that's what management wanted. I met the head of GW Canada and he flat out told me he didn't care what veteran gamers wanted because the money came from moms shopping for their 12-14 year old son. Management was trying to solve all its problems by tweaking their sales approach (raise prices, talk more about how AWESOME everything is, muzzle criticism) without ever improving the actual quality of the product which was in decline because 12-14 year old boys aren't very discriminating. They just buy whatever we tell them to so that we will pretend to like them.

Synopsis; after being a customer for almost 20 years I finally gave a year of my life to them to see what kind of future the company had. I was really disappointed by the lack of creativity in upper management. I wish I could have worked for the company in the 80's.

For those considering the job, I recommend part time, the less the better, never take sh?t from management, always hold your head up high, be prepared to call bull sh?t on a bull sh?t policy that comes down the pipes, always be prepared to quit at moments notice because they are definitely prepared to dispose of you.

thrasymacus
19-02-2008, 08:07
the one's who got the most out of the job, were the ones who completely ignored management and just had fun. That was my impression. They were also the ones that customers actually liked. Management may take itself really seriously and may have forgotten that they are a toy store, but that doesnt mean that you have to.

Isambard
19-02-2008, 10:38
I worked for GW for 7 years, from 97 to 2004. Mostly part time (being a students) but nearly a year full time, before I went to Uni. I spent my time in GW Sheffield, Meadowhall, Trafford, Manchester and Swansea and worked with some fantastic guys, some of you may remember Mik Parkin, Paul Evans and Swanny (they were some of the best managers I have ever had).

I loved every minute of it, even staying on as part time when I was working as a teacher and earning loads anyway.

I had to leave GW when I left the UK but I soon made friends with the staff in my new location, they are good guys as well.

For me working there was great fun, I got to immerse myself in my hobby and play loads of games. I also got to share my hobby with others, which was great :D

StraightSilver
19-02-2008, 11:28
Heya,

Well I am an ex-staffer, although I'm not sure whether anyone will remember me as it was quite a long time ago.

I was a full timer and then Manager at the Maidstone Store between 1989-1992.

I worked there with Guy Carpenter, who some of you may know from his Golden Daemon / Forgeworld work, a superb painter of tanks and vehicles.

And Stuart Grieg, who later went on to become Manager at Coventry and then I believe worked at Head office for a few years.

Those were great times! When the Games Workshop uniform was just a black sweatshirt and you could wear pretty much whatever you wanted with it!

Even as a manager I would turn up in black combats, 14 hole Doc Martens and a 12" Red Mohican!

I loved working for the company, although the guys at Head Office used to give me quite a hard time, especially people like Tifty!

However I learnt everything I know about painting, modelling and scenery building from Guy and Stuart, and they were great guys too!

I left the company for a short period to go to college, and then went back to GW Maidstone where I worked with Mick for a short while.

I then went on to be the first manager at Tunbridge Wells, when the store first opened in about 1993 ish. I worked there with Mick, Brady, Reuben and Alex, and Chris Rennie (to name but a few).

That store was absolutely fantastic, a joy to work in and I must admit that I was gutted to leave. Unfortunately though I just couldn't live on the wages they were paying and so left to work for Forbidden Planet (which ended up being a big mistake!).

Sadly I haven't been back to either Maidstone or Tunbridge Wells since I left as I no longer live in Kent and its a bit far to travel.

But if any of you guys see Mick or any of the other old timers from Maidstone or Tunbridge Wells say hi from Chris Parsons (otherwise known as "Rancid", thanks for that Taff, or to the kids at Maidstone "Sonic" because of my blue mohican).

I am now a regular at the Bromley store now, and often make use of their Battle Bunker. I am the guy with the 8th Cadians who is often getting a pasting off his mate's Necrons or Marines!

Crube
19-02-2008, 11:38
another ex GW staffer here...

1994 - 1995 - GW Derby full time
1995 - 1998 - MO phone Troll (inc article in WD, + 3 months in trade sales)
2002 - 2003 - GWi (working on Fire Warrior)

And Jedi - weekends at WHW would be fine so long as Chris is still the manager there - he's a genuine top bloke, who worked as a part timer at Derby when I was there...

Jedi152
19-02-2008, 11:58
I actually talk to him pretty regularly, and since i was reading a sign saying to address all letters to Chris i should be ok.

All the staff are fine enough - I just get the impression that GW is a 'cliquey' company.

It's whether they'd consider it worthwhile training me for one day a week.

Matt121
19-02-2008, 13:03
the one's who got the most out of the job, were the ones who completely ignored management and just had fun. That was my impression. They were also the ones that customers actually liked. Management may take itself really seriously and may have forgotten that they are a toy store, but that doesnt mean that you have to.

You hit the nail right on the head there my friend...:D

fubukii
19-02-2008, 17:32
yea the above statement is pretty much true, i used to work at the gw in philadelphia for a little over a year. We had a pretty mice staff and did alot of fun stuff.

Matt_stanley75
19-02-2008, 17:35
I actually worked in three, GW White Marsh, The Glen Burnie Battle Bunker (before there was a battle bunker. I was on the opening crew for that one), and GW Springfield.

It was a good time, and if I won the lottery right now, I'd go work there again in a heartbeat. Without a doubt. I loved it.

As for good memories, I got to work the first forgeworld booth at the Baltimore Gamesday. After waaaaarghing myself silly on the first day, I changed my name badge from Matt to "Mute". Tony was really cool to meet, and Andy C. was really a great guy. The company really lost something when they lost him.

Froth
20-02-2008, 16:46
Scragglefoot - I think I remember you, when were you in Oxford/Reading?

boogle
20-02-2008, 22:34
work in GW Newcastle from July 2000 until March 2002

Mad Jack Deacon
20-02-2008, 23:00
Started working for GW part-time at the Supermall store in Auburn WA. Wound up going full-time and doing about 18 months total there.

Got promoted to be the Manager of the GW Alderwood store in Lynnwood WA, and was there for about 6 to 8 months then moved to Glen Burnie to work at the US HQ. Did that for about 18 months or so.

Then got transferred out to Chicago IL, was a manager at several of the stores there until I sought out the Regional Trainer job (which was a helluva lot of fun!). Did that for about another year and a half until I was fired.

Total time working for GW: About 6.5 years.

That statement earlier about the best managers were the ones that "had fun" is f'in spot on.

kairous
16-04-2008, 17:37
Well, i have an interivew coming up for a full time GW position in woking on monday morning.
Problem is my experiance with trains and buses is somewhat limited (hardly ever used the things), i will need to do abit of research on it.
So i was wandering if anyone could give me some help, and provide me with any inofrmation that might help me on the above topic.

Cheers in advance for any help.

darkstar
16-04-2008, 18:07
http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/JourneyPlanner.jsp?vm_Reset_str=true

You'll find this tool quite useful. It doesn't cover prices, but you can do most anything else with it.

blongbling
16-04-2008, 21:24
train to notts, then get in a cab to GW, about £5 (assuming its at HQ)

sunnywigan
17-04-2008, 21:37
Manchester, Edinburgh, Leeds and Nottingham, plus a stint in the GW offices at Eastwood (long, long ago) and the studio.

And before that 3 years painting miniatures for Bryan Ansell and doing demos for GW.

Marc

agio65
17-04-2008, 22:51
i did wear the Red for three month´s :D
and work´d at the german trade dep. for another five years:angel: left 2003:D

Mr.terminatorbob
18-04-2008, 02:21
Matt_Stanley, how long did you work at GW springfield? When it was in Springfeild mall still?

plantagenet
18-04-2008, 18:50
I worked at GW for more or less 4 years.

It worked out well for me helping to pay for my fun aka beer while I was at Swansea Uni. Was also a great time to be working at Games Workshop as it was during there real growth period. Some great games were released or released durign this time as well. I Remember Necromunda particuarly selling very well during my time there.

I did my first three and a bit years in Swansea store which I really enjoyed and made some very good friends at. Then did a brief stint at the Plaza in London after Uni where I was deciding what I really wanted to do with my life.

The Staff discount was certainly for the majority of the first three years fantastic with lead through mail order supplied as a calculation of weight and all plastics bar tanks for free. Changed to half price on everything after that.

The main managers I remember were Jason, Paul and Shane was the area manager at the time in Swansea (there was one other but I realyl cant remember his name :(). The only person I remember the name of from London was Conrad was hard to keep up there as seemed to change managers every other month and the staff never seem to last very long.

I worked two Games Days. I enjoyed them because although it was brief we did get to have a look around. First time I went I did blister stocking the second I was on the Citadel Journal stand, working with the guy who unfortuantly passed away a few years later.

Anyway to all of you out there especially the crowd in Swansea a big hello.

Yamacon
18-04-2008, 20:44
i was thinking of applying for a job in the gamesworkshop HQ, but now that iv heard all of this im not ot sure, is it really that bad?

Also to make a career in gamesworkshop what would be the protocol to climb the ladder? join a gameworkshop and get promoted or apply for the HQ directly?

Albrecht Hexenjaeger
18-04-2008, 21:22
I worked in the Philadelphia PA location for about a year and a half. Started as a part timer, and worked up to key holder. What sucked was taking public transportation and holding down a bouncer job 3-4 nights a week on top of my GW 40 hours, but that's just the physically demanding gripes.
I started on the very **** end of the sales bonus system, free product, and "just have fun" years. The bean counters that had taken control down in Glen Burnie (Darth and Grand Moff, anybody?) could have been selling flowerpots for all they cared, and this came across by the outrageous daily/weekly/monthly sales figures they required. As a guy that considers myself primarily a hobbyist, I wanted to paint store armies, build scenery (we were after all a "Battle Bunker"), play in tournaments, and really just teach the hobby to newcomers. Having been in the restaurant biz for 7 years prior, I knew how to BS with just about anyone about anything, but the "boiler room" style sales approach and "the hard sell" practices that my store manager (also the district manager BTW) forced the staff to do sickened me.
The manager actually would, on occasion follow people out of the store telling them about "all the great things" they were missing out on. These being people that were looking for COMPLETELY different things, it got really ridiculous. Kinda like the time he excused himself from a customer so he could then interrupt me from a customer, only to discipline me in front of a full store for not running a large Mexican family with infants and toddlers though an introductory game. He actually made me run out into the mall and bring them back so that he could see for himself that they spoke no English.
The whole time I worked for the company, and for sometime after in fact, regularly contributed to US White Dwarf, and being employed at a Battle Bunker, you'd think this would've made me a valuable asset. Alas, the 15 year veteran manager instead rubbed it in my face, constantly reminding me of my "Chaos taint" and how I was "turning my back on my loyal Marine brothers in retail" and that I "didn't want a career anyway". I did. Hardcore. I put up with his crap and the crappy pay for almost 2 years. I was eventually "downsized". When pressed, the manager must've had at least 10 excuses to fire me, all trumped up mind you, but was looking for an easy out. I was in fairly good with some higher ups at HQ that actually despised him and his habits were well known. He was known for getting you to sign your employee release with puppydogs and icecream reasons for termination-than forging your signature on a venomous one with thing like insubordination, lateness, failure to meet job requirements, etc. Well, a few well directed calls, photocopies, and two trips to HQ later, Commissar T was fired less than 3 months later. He wasn't called The Commissar for shooting traitors in the back, but because he shot everyone else in the foot.
Whew! Yeah, there were mos def pros. Amazing benefits, great discount (taken away because of the idiots that hoarded 30 gallon tubs of metal to sell on eBay), and when The Commissar was away really, really good times. Rubberband fights, Staff Challenges (we needed to "be selling to, not playing games with customers"), over the shoulder restock catch, the perpetual .50 cent refill cups from Subway we all kept for weeks at a time...
Man, I loved putting on the "blackcent" and messing with the suburban gangster kids who would wander in...

Imus
18-04-2008, 21:29
i was told staff discount was removed because other areas of the company complained that they didnt get the same discount than those in the uk. Rather than staff hoarding, but im sure that probably another reason

Albrecht Hexenjaeger
18-04-2008, 22:22
There were definitely company wide reasons, but here in the US, staff hoarding was an overwhelming reason, or so far as I was told. There was also a spate of people getting hired, making a bitz run, then quitting. They helped ruin it for everybody.:mad:

Baragash
19-04-2008, 20:06
2001-2005: GW Watford & GW Birmingham

kairous
20-04-2008, 21:15
well my interview is tomorrow morning (9AM), so if anyone has any advice or tips then i would love to hear them, i have also been reading over the other threads similar to this one in title, that seem to contain info about past interviews, just looking for anything that might help.

Any help would be awesome, cheers guys.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
20-04-2008, 22:27
Heya,

Well I am an ex-staffer, although I'm not sure whether anyone will remember me as it was quite a long time ago.

I was a full timer and then Manager at the Maidstone Store between 1989-1992.

I worked there with Guy Carpenter, who some of you may know from his Golden Daemon / Forgeworld work, a superb painter of tanks and vehicles.

And Stuart Grieg, who later went on to become Manager at Coventry and then I believe worked at Head office for a few years.

Those were great times! When the Games Workshop uniform was just a black sweatshirt and you could wear pretty much whatever you wanted with it!

Even as a manager I would turn up in black combats, 14 hole Doc Martens and a 12" Red Mohican!

I loved working for the company, although the guys at Head Office used to give me quite a hard time, especially people like Tifty!

However I learnt everything I know about painting, modelling and scenery building from Guy and Stuart, and they were great guys too!

I left the company for a short period to go to college, and then went back to GW Maidstone where I worked with Mick for a short while.

I then went on to be the first manager at Tunbridge Wells, when the store first opened in about 1993 ish. I worked there with Mick, Brady, Reuben and Alex, and Chris Rennie (to name but a few).

That store was absolutely fantastic, a joy to work in and I must admit that I was gutted to leave. Unfortunately though I just couldn't live on the wages they were paying and so left to work for Forbidden Planet (which ended up being a big mistake!).

Sadly I haven't been back to either Maidstone or Tunbridge Wells since I left as I no longer live in Kent and its a bit far to travel.

But if any of you guys see Mick or any of the other old timers from Maidstone or Tunbridge Wells say hi from Chris Parsons (otherwise known as "Rancid", thanks for that Taff, or to the kids at Maidstone "Sonic" because of my blue mohican).

I am now a regular at the Bromley store now, and often make use of their Battle Bunker. I am the guy with the 8th Cadians who is often getting a pasting off his mate's Necrons or Marines!

Good god that going back a bit!

Did you ever work with Dave 'I'm a twonk' Ireland? He was the GW manager when I started going to the T Wells store regularly. And Brady got really lucky. He now edits Spiderman for a living (no, seriously) and married his really rather attractive girlfriend.

Chris' kid is growing up, and I'm off LARPing with him later this year. Still see Alex from time to time, but dunno what happened to Reuben.

Sonderval
21-04-2008, 13:05
GW-Dublin alumni here :)

Enjoyed my relatively short time there. Place is much better run now, and I always love being able to wave off the staff approach by telling them I worked there.

Matt121
22-04-2008, 20:42

Re: Ex staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well my interview is tomorrow morning (9AM), so if anyone has any advice or tips then i would love to hear them, i have also been reading over the other threads similar to this one in title, that seem to contain info about past interviews, just looking for anything that might help.

Any help would be awesome, cheers guys

Yeah, don't turn up, you won't regret it :-)

seth
23-04-2008, 09:02
ohh name and shame thread :)

GW Thurrock-July 97-jan 98

worked under Che (hehehe) Ross Black and Geoff kept me sane with late night coffee and bitching sessions. Steve Tuff kept up my interest in 2nd ed 40k, formed a long standing hatred fro the muppet that ran GW chelmsford at that time :)

GW Romford Jan 98-july 99

Probably one of the best working environments of my life. Daren Macaninch was the manager and marky was the full-timer is "dodgy" ron still in the Co?

july 99-october 99 MO Troll. This finally broke my idiot tollerance, I could no longer stand some of the stupidness that the general public expected us to handle.

since then I have freelanced for Fanatic, black industries and the Femme millitants.

cheers
seth

Brushmonkey
23-04-2008, 09:35
I worked two Games Days. I enjoyed them because although it was brief we did get to have a look around. First time I went I did blister stocking the second I was on the Citadel Journal stand, working with the guy who unfortuantly passed away a few years later.

Would that be Steve Hambrook?

plantagenet
28-04-2008, 18:44
Hi Brushmonkey.

Yes thats correct. Seemed like a really nice guy.

kairous
28-04-2008, 20:34
Well i had my interview last monday, and i got a phone call today for a call back, turns out the manager (Ash) hasn't fully decided who he wants to employ yet, so he has asked me to come back on wednesday for like a second interview, says he wants to play a game and maybe get me to do an intro.
So i was just wandering if anyone had any tips for my call back that might help me get the position.
Cheers guys.

dancingmonkey
28-04-2008, 20:41
When you run an intro, make it fun and crazy. Story is more important than rules. Stuff has to die in the first turn. Even if you have to fudge the rules to do so. You have probably seen staff gibbering like chimps (hence my user name) they do this not for their own entertainment, but because its how you do it.

Fast fun and bloody... thats what you want.

You might end up on the floor (supervised) for a small period. Talk to anyone and everyone, even if its some poor granny. You never know, she might have a 15000 pt guard force hidden away. Anyone is a potential gamer...
Be smiley and cheerful, without going too far. Also try to be natural... opening lines are key, but they should not sound like obvious opening lines..

Hope that helps a little bit.

Good luck...

Jon

El-Diablo
28-04-2008, 21:11
The best way to (practise)run an intro is to do it without dice. As Dancingmonkey said its all about the story.

'A volley of arrows killed half the dwarves who ran away screaming' sounds better than 'goblins hit on 5s, wound on 5's and the dwarves get an armour save'.

Kids and managers love it.

Tiller5
28-04-2008, 21:27
Good knowledge of the background helps n all!
I applied for a part time place at Staines but due to uni complications I was unable to make commitments, but ill see if I can get one later!

Chaos and Evil
28-04-2008, 22:11
since then I have freelanced for Fanatic, black industries and the Femme millitants.

cheers
seth

What did you do for Fanatic?

seth
29-04-2008, 00:26
well, the ressurection gutter runner was the fourth figure that I ever sculpted ( and it shows!) I worked with Harrison on a few mordheim warbands and did a few things for Inquisitor, including a painting article ( still can't paint though :) )

I was due to work on the re-designed Necromunda that never happened too, but GW canned Fanatic before that took off :(

Scragglefoot
01-05-2008, 10:08
Scragglefoot - I think I remember you, when were you in Oxford/Reading?

yup i worked full time in oxford branch for bout 9 months then part time in reading when it was upstairs in the mall for a couple of months.

who are you customer or worker?

Scragglefoot

slade the slaughter
01-05-2008, 16:23
Angelwing – dude, was you the guy that had the long blonde hair???
Sorry if your not, but that guy was pretty great, he let me buy stuff a day or
two before general release if they had them in the back room.

I would love to work G.W if I could, I live miles from a store and work mon – fri 9-5
so I don’t really have the time, such a shame.

VikingThor
01-05-2008, 16:53
I used to work part time in NYC GW. Back when staff got mad discount and we could bitz order anything. I got a 1st, 5th, and 8th space marine company by bitz order, along with 100 wargs, 100 Chaos Warriors, and a ton of other stuff. I look at is as my hobby retirement plan. I have enough stuff to last a lifetime (but somehow I still need to keep buying new stuff)

GundamMecha
01-05-2008, 17:30
I was a Key Timer for around 3 years while at Uni.

I started during the Two Towers movie era.

I worked GW Bromley mostly, also Sutton, sometimes Plaza Oxford Street, and did a few shifts in Hammersmith and Bluewater...

Stayed till I was made redundant after key time positions were scrapped.

The guys I worked with in Bromley were the best bunch I've ever worked with, all of which have now left the company. I don't even bother to go to GW bromley anymore. Sometimes I visit Covent Garden, and occasionally drop into Bluewater when I'm shopping with my girlfriend.

Angelwing
01-05-2008, 23:25
Angelwing – dude, was you the guy that had the long blonde hair???
Sorry if your not, but that guy was pretty great, he let me buy stuff a day or
two before general release if they had them in the back room.

I would love to work G.W if I could, I live miles from a store and work mon – fri 9-5
so I don’t really have the time, such a shame.

no, but I know the guy you mean. pm sent.

kairous
03-05-2008, 18:03
thanks for the info guys, really gave me an idea of what to when it came to the intro gsme part.

At the mo im just waiting for final confirmation, as originally there were 7 people applying, only 2 people made it to the second stage, me and a part timer from another shop, woking manager told me i did really well seeing as i had never done anything like an intro game, trying to sell GW products to a new customer, etc, before, plus i beat him at the game of 40k we did.

So now, im just waiting to see if i get the job, or if the part timer will get the transfer/full time position, but, im prepared, if i don't get woking im going to apply at sutton for the part time job, at least that way im in the company.

Thanks again for any and all help guys, as soon as i hear anything, i shall be sure to mention it.

cheers

Badbones777
03-05-2008, 19:36
Worked for about 3 months in Liverpool before going to open up Chester with a couple of others. I stayed at Chester for about 2 and a half years or so before leaving to go back to college. I found my interest in the hobby had burned out whilst working, so much so that I hated painting my own models, so never finished armies. I returned to the hobby aproximately 6 years later and developed a new passion for the hobby, so much so that in the last few years I have painted 3 armies, am painting my 4th and have several others in various stages of construction.

So you were there before it moved up next to central station then? (the Liverpool one I mean). Why exactly was that, I wonder. The new store Is SO much better for the hobbyist (especially as it has an upper floor where you can do gaming and actually sit down and stuff) but I cant imagine its got as much visibility as it did when it was on the High Street.

selfconstrukt
03-05-2008, 19:52
It's interesting to note that pretty much everyone here who posted were all retail staff.

Thorgar Bloodaxe
03-05-2008, 23:20
July 97-July 98 Lakeside and Brighton

SETH!!!!! WAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!:D

I can still here the screams of Gorkamorka pounding round the halls of Lakeside!
How have you been dude? PM me man!

seth
04-05-2008, 09:12
p.m. sent :)

OLIVERASO
04-05-2008, 10:20
p.m. sent :)

And you get 2 P.M from me (: .

Thorgar Bloodaxe
04-05-2008, 16:44
The good side of working for the company were some of the people I worked with like Seth, Adam, Geoff, Slinky etc. Some of the customers as well, especially in Brighton. The bonus was good at that time; I've still got stuff unpainted from our induction tour at Lenton!

The negative side is the stuff everyone knows about only too well. For me it was the money and business practices that pushed me out after a year.

Looking at the number of posts on this thread, I wouldn't like to guess what GW staff turnover is like. And when you bear in mind how dedicated most of us were when we joined the company, it seems like a real waste that so much talent has been forced elsewhere...

Random
04-05-2008, 17:24
I was actually hired prior to my re-joining the US military around the winter of 2004 for a full time gig, to work out of the Boston area. But that required my moving to Boston (frm Maine at the time) and the pay was not enough to live off of, so I turned it down. I really wanted to do my time in the stores and move up into a more business side of the company down in Burnie. Just as well that I didn't though, in the end.
Kinda funny, I met the then recruitment manager at GD that year, saw him at the Boston GT again and he remembered me, and that was where I had my "interview" and gave him my resume. Had a final one at the shop in maine I worked at when the bitz wagon came around there, and I had the job. Just couldn't swing the money side of it. Boston is expensive as hell.

So I guess I am almost-was staff. Hehehe...

Random

emperorpenguin
10-05-2011, 09:25
Apologies for the threadomancy but I was watching BBC breakfast news this morning, over a bowl of weetabix minis, and there was a story about the British Heart Foundation and it's charity shops. As I am a charity retail manager myself this was of interest, especially as the topic concerned theft of donations by rogue collectors. Anyway the Beeb interviewed a BHF regional manager and it was none other than my old area manager from my time at GW Bath, Mik Parkin.
I remember how soon after I transferred there from GW Oxford I had money problems and was actually sleeping in the stock room. Mik helped me out and it does not at all surprise me that he ended up in the charity business too. If you are reading this Mik, thank you again and best of luck

spaint2k
10-05-2011, 09:51

I think you're the guy who taught me to paint red on top of an orange undercoat for that "brilliant 2nd ed red" (although the example model you(?) were painting was a Chaos Dwarf Great Taurus).

The folks at the Liverpool and Chester stores were always great when I got the chance to visit back then.

EDIT: Gah... didn't see the dates on the earlier posts...

blongbling
10-05-2011, 12:51
Apologies for the threadomancy but I was watching BBC breakfast news this morning, over a bowl of weetabix minis, and there was a story about the British Heart Foundation and it's charity shops. As I am a charity retail manager myself this was of interest, especially as the topic concerned theft of donations by rogue collectors. Anyway the Beeb interviewed a BHF regional manager and it was none other than my old area manager from my time at GW Bath, Mik Parkin.
I remember how soon after I transferred there from GW Oxford I had money problems and was actually sleeping in the stock room. Mik helped me out and it does not at all surprise me that he ended up in the charity business too. If you are reading this Mik, thank you again and best of luck

yeah Mik was bricking it this week in preperation for the interview :)

ColShaw
10-05-2011, 15:24
I worked at the Seattle Battle Bunker and Auburn Supermall GWs for about half a year back in 2004.

Long time ago now...

cyphertheory
10-05-2011, 15:37
did my time at the Croydon store pretty much 10 years ago now, March 01 to about Oct 02, worked with some cool guys and some not so cool guys but it was a good experience. not sure I like what the company has become anymore as it really has lost its old spirit which is a shame. also massive shout out to Ed from the Bromley store from those days, he was a total legend and GW missed out by not making him a regional manager or something!

omnivision6
11-05-2011, 05:46
Did my time at the block in orange county CA and santa anita stores. Both have moved out of the malls and went one man. Was kinda fun, but the constant pushing sales made the job suck.

tongalad
12-05-2011, 23:45
Did my stint from 98-2001 starting as keytimer in EK, was managing Ayr about 9 months later! Managed Glasgow & then opened Braehead in Sept 99 RIP. still painting & playing.....

The Ape
13-05-2011, 08:52
I remember Mik Parkin - think he was area manager when I was working at Leicester.

Does Dave "garden gnome" Cundy still work for GW? He was a decent chap.

blongbling
13-05-2011, 08:56
I remember Mik Parkin - think he was area manager when I was working at Leicester.

Does Dave "garden gnome" Cundy still work for GW? He was a decent chap.

He does, doing some training stuff these days

VerifiablySane
13-05-2011, 16:58
Back in training? Last I knew he'd moved from Training to Trade Sales (but he could have moved back I guess - it suited him).

Inquisitor Kallus
13-05-2011, 17:15
I did 2 years in Slough (key-time) before being fired for being 'too aggressive'.

Or thats what the forms said.

Fact is the new manager (fresh out of squad leader and very much a 'yes' man) took a dislike to me the second he went into the store.

I intend to win the Slayer Sword one year and run the little S-O-B through.

Not bitter at all.

So youre Steve from Reading then......

Insane Psychopath
13-05-2011, 21:35
I was part time in Games Workshop Edinbrugh back in 2008. Two of the full timer (no longer work for the company) that I work with are also memeber on these fourms. They really help me out during my time with the company :D

I really enjoy my time & would happily work for Games Workshop again. In fact I would like to work for the Hobby Team.

Still rememeber getting my interview on the 1st of April & was offer the part time job with in five min of the interview, rest was talking about the hobby.

The hobby got stronger for me since my time for working for the company.

IP

TallChris
13-05-2011, 21:43
GW Bristol and Cribbs Causeway 1998-2002 for me.

Still game with a few ex staff from both stores and frequent the Cribbs store when I'm shopping at The Mall.

Shame its not quite the store it was back then...

Bodysnatcher
13-05-2011, 21:57
did my time at the Croydon store pretty much 10 years ago now, March 01 to about Oct 02, worked with some cool guys and some not so cool guys but it was a good experience. not sure I like what the company has become anymore as it really has lost its old spirit which is a shame. also massive shout out to Ed from the Bromley store from those days, he was a total legend and GW missed out by not making him a regional manager or something!

Who was the manager at the time? I was a reg in croydon back then.

orkmiester
16-05-2011, 13:16
sorry to intrude on the 'good old days' conversation- which is good by the way...
i have a question to ask you lot..

i was thinking of applying for a job a GW....(just an idea really)
so from a poster who posted on here you ask in one of your local stores for a form or something like that?...

anyway I've noticed the turnover at my closest store (Walsall) the current manger is alright, however thanks to uni the Wolverhampton store is rather good as the manager there has been there for years...

Vaiuri
16-05-2011, 13:35
Glad to hear Mik is doing well :)

Key timer in Manchester, full timer in Stockport here (or was!).

To the guy looking for a job: talk to the manager of your local store, or take the initiative and send a CV and cover letter in yourself.

Inquisitor Kallus
16-05-2011, 16:24
sorry to intrude on the 'good old days' conversation- which is good by the way...
i have a question to ask you lot..

i was thinking of applying for a job a GW....(just an idea really)
so from a poster who posted on here you ask in one of your local stores for a form or something like that?...

anyway I've noticed the turnover at my closest store (Walsall) the current manger is alright, however thanks to uni the Wolverhampton store is rather good as the manager there has been there for years...

Yes Orkmeister, or you can apply online. The company is now only looking for people who want to be managers as full timers have been 'phased-out'. The idea is youll get trained fairly quickly and if they keep you, youll usually get a one man store

Reinholt
16-05-2011, 21:33
Way back in the day, more than a decade ago, I worked for gw Franklin mills (since moved and then closed down) while I was also in college.

minionboy
17-05-2011, 00:01
I worked at 2 GW stores in California: The Block at Orange and the LA Battle Bunker, so glad to be free.

Jind_Singh
17-05-2011, 03:29
I'm an ex! I worked at Store 2002, GW Metrotown (then changed name to GW Burnaby, now closed while it becomes a new bunker store) for a bit - Looked @ going to the Surrey store but life didn't let me - which was just as well as that store is no more!

Ideally I'd like to retire @ a GW when I'm older and don't have so many $$$ obligations!

riotknight
17-05-2011, 08:54
Worked at GW Square One in Mississauga Ontario(Canada) in 2k6.

FaeLi-N
17-05-2011, 14:28
Worked at GW Aberdeen (Scotland) on and off as a key-times over a five-year period until last year.

Manager was awesome (to staff and the customers) and the group of customers there was brilliant, and glad to say I made a lot of friends there.

Left because they were cutting back on staff, but genuinely enjoyed it a lot.

Gingerwerewolf
17-05-2011, 15:57
I didnt even know this thread existed and Im recognise a whole bunch of names on here:

My stint went on for a while from 1994 through to 2001, where I worked in Hammersmith, Ealing, Plaza Centre, and loads of days in other GWs in London to cover peoples days off exactly as DarkSideMonkey says, When in 97 onwards Leicester, Loughborough, Lenton (what is now Warhammer World) and on the Museum (Back in the day when it had life size stuff)

Ive worked with a shed load of people, and some of them are still in GW, and some are not. My Main Stints at work:

In 94 I was a Part Timer (This was the Job you got before Key Timers were created and you could be 16 at the time) where I worked for Laurence & Matt Turney, with Trevor, Simon and a Seth (Was it you Seth?), before moving onto being key timer and working under, Stuart Smith, Matt Anderson, before Ally Morgan, both in Hammersmith. This was before Uni - Part timing in Leicester under Mark Chambers, (who's still at GW) and Dave Cundy, with Simon Dickenson. Then I came back to Work Plaza in 98, with Sanjay, Johnny Austin, Matt Anderson again, Benoir, Jack Slack. Then it was up to Lenton where I worked the Museum with Andy Foster, before leaving for a bit and returning as a Key Timer in Leicester. Phew!

However for my sins I was also a regular in Hammersmith since '85 though and got to play on the Pingpong Tables, And got to know Joe Earley (sp? went on to manage Kingston in the early 90's before leaving), Bob and a whole bunch of other long hairs who ran the stores back then, all of which were fantastic blokes.

Anyway my nickname at the time (and actually still is) is Ginger Jon and would love to hear from people who may have worked with me or even remember me. Im still in touch with most of the above names, and some of them I see pretty regular like...

AngelofSorrow
17-05-2011, 16:26
Ex- Chicago bunker staffer here. Also served time in Algonquin and Naperville Illinois.
Good job, great times. Didn't part on amicable terms however. I'm in a better place now though.

Croaker2
17-05-2011, 17:24
Worked at GW Square One in Mississauga Ontario(Canada) in 2k6.

I was there in 2003. Couldn't live off the minimum wage salary, so I had to get another job.

rayrod64
17-05-2011, 19:13
Worked for 5 years as a keytimer at the NYC 8th st. store.
met some pretty great individuals and personalitys...

went through 5 managers there...not a place for a family man

it killed my love for the hobby for around 2 or 3 years. just wasnt interested in picking up a brush or playing.... getting over it though... painting again
even played a game of BFG not too long ago.

worked a couple of games days...would lose my voice for days but i did pick up some nice models

chilledenuff
19-05-2011, 13:39
I was a keytimer for GW Basingstoke a few years back. Good times (mostly, i still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes thinking about 40k on beginner's sundays!)
Funniest moment? Another member of staff losing a game against little Johnny, throwing his mni across the room and storming out. , That or blutacking another staff member's

phone to the ceiling and then phoning it. Took 10 minutes before he realised where it was

WarbossKurgan
19-05-2011, 20:37
I did a year (1998-1999) in Bristol as a key-timer while I was at university, including the odd shift in Cribbs Causeway and Bath.
I worked at Games Day 1998 - which was hell but kinda fun at the same time. I left because I was spending more on GW products than I was earning!

Steinhardt
19-05-2011, 21:26
GW Chermside in Australia... But working with that manager was like having nails pushed through my eyes.

Jaded Patriot
20-05-2011, 23:08
Former staff here as well. Worked at a location in Houston before I went off to college in late 2006. I actually enjoyed it, but they closed the store shortly after I left, so it was probably for the best.

Quite possibly the worst thing was that the store was next to a movie theater and a few clubs. The movie theater brought in some potential customers, and the clubs brought in the kind of people who make fun of gamers. I was kicking someone out practically once a week by the end of it. Usually after having given them a piece of my mind. In retrospect, not the best idea.

SunTzu
21-05-2011, 01:09
Did my time between 1998 and 2003. Would have got less for GBH.

Jaded Patriot
23-05-2011, 16:34
Did my time between 1998 and 2003. Would have got less for GBH.

SunTzu, your signature is awesome and I will steal it for use in other geek forums. I hope you don't mind.

Thénon
23-05-2011, 21:55
ex staffer of the livingston/edinburgh store of 2 years total.

left becouse i couldn`t hack the traveling into edinburgh from my humble country lifestyle.

I loved the job and wish i didn`t have to leave but i was getting to the point of a living zombie. its an o.k company to work for but you got tobe willing to work crappy hours for not alot of payand unless your in a 1 man store your hobby will suffer from myjoberitus.

best moment of my career was getting sent to HQ for training and learning peoples e-mails ;)

blongbling
23-05-2011, 22:52
I didnt even know this thread existed and Im recognise a whole bunch of names on here:

My stint went on for a while from 1994 through to 2001, where I worked in Hammersmith, Ealing, Plaza Centre, and loads of days in other GWs in London to cover peoples days off exactly as DarkSideMonkey says, When in 97 onwards Leicester, Loughborough, Lenton (what is now Warhammer World) and on the Museum (Back in the day when it had life size stuff)

Ive worked with a shed load of people, and some of them are still in GW, and some are not. My Main Stints at work:

In 94 I was a Part Timer (This was the Job you got before Key Timers were created and you could be 16 at the time) where I worked for Laurence & Matt Turney, with Trevor, Simon and a Seth (Was it you Seth?), before moving onto being key timer and working under, Stuart Smith, Matt Anderson, before Ally Morgan, both in Hammersmith. This was before Uni - Part timing in Leicester under Mark Chambers, (who's still at GW) and Dave Cundy, with Simon Dickenson. Then I came back to Work Plaza in 98, with Sanjay, Johnny Austin, Matt Anderson again, Benoir, Jack Slack. Then it was up to Lenton where I worked the Museum with Andy Foster, before leaving for a bit and returning as a Key Timer in Leicester. Phew!

However for my sins I was also a regular in Hammersmith since '85 though and got to play on the Pingpong Tables, And got to know Joe Earley (sp? went on to manage Kingston in the early 90's before leaving), Bob and a whole bunch of other long hairs who ran the stores back then, all of which were fantastic blokes.

Anyway my nickname at the time (and actually still is) is Ginger Jon and would love to hear from people who may have worked with me or even remember me. Im still in touch with most of the above names, and some of them I see pretty regular like...

I am pretty sure I should know you then

Greblord
24-05-2011, 13:35
OK, so now I feel old.
I worked in GW Sheffield (@ 95 the moor) from 1982-86
Manager GW Hammersmith from 1986-1990

Stuey
24-05-2011, 13:52
dun dun dah ex Design Studio!

I loved the people I worked with and the job when I first started but changing of management and people my work was checked and edited by, ruined it.

I have been a lurker on here and more so over the last few weeks with all the new changes/self destruction path the company is taking. That company is in no way, shape or form the one I started for back in 2001 (in mail order on the phones)

blongbling
24-05-2011, 15:25
dun dun dah ex Design Studio!

I loved the people I worked with and the job when I first started but changing of management and people my work was checked and edited by, ruined it.

I have been a lurker on here and more so over the last few weeks with all the new changes/self destruction path the company is taking. That company is in no way, shape or form the one I started for back in 2001 (in mail order on the phones)

I know you :)

Stuey
24-05-2011, 15:39
go on give me a clue

Duce
25-05-2011, 14:59
I'm ex,Dublin-liffey street mainly,stopped to complete my degree.Best damn job ever

my god you get around, never knew you were Ex GW you sexy thing x

Didn't work in Gw but also from Belfast

A_Bad_Man
16-06-2011, 10:21
I worked part time for GW Glasgow (the old Queen Street Shop) back in 1992 till 1994, then a stint full time for a year before leaving at the end of 1995 just after the white metal switch over.

Did stints at Edinburgh, Ayr and Stirling when needed.

I worked with :

Alastair McIntosh - old school manager
Colin White - manager
Big Baz (everyone in GW knows him and i hear he's in Finland still working for GW)
Gordon the mail order troll (who moved to Mail Order that year and had a hand in setting up the new system at the time)
Eric Hillen - Area manager and real snake it turned out.
Steff - old school Edinburgh staffer.
Gregg (moved to Australia and married Kim so i hear)
Wee Ken - what happened to you man ??
Scott MacFalane - into his fettish gear and Necro currently works in A1 comics Glasgow
Stephen Bootland - you dumb SoB :D

I'm Alan Robertson and if any of you remember me ... you have a good memory !

Sleazy
16-06-2011, 10:58
I worked in GW Metro and Newcastle 2001-2002.

Have some great memories of working in Metro with some great guys. Management was a different matter though, bullying was rife and sadly I was too young to understand it.

Being forced to work unpaid overtime and paint stores minis at home sucked, I was even disciplined once for not doing so (at home in my OWN time).

I can remember 1 staffer losing his job and being BARRED from all the stores in the area for selling a regular his CSM army. A little while later I saw the manager doing exactly the same thing and even displaying his armies in store so he could big them up to prospective buyers.

Looking back now as a union rep it was shocking the disregard for employment rules or sometimes common decency.

That aside the other redshirts were al good guys and I made some real friends i still keep in touch with today.

Johann Fellhammer
16-06-2011, 12:49
I worked in Head Office from end of 2002 till summer 2006, in Northern Europe Trade Sales as an account manager. 2003 was the best year ever at GW for me. That was just one long summer of massive sales, Bugmans every night and great weekend parties with staff from all countries and departments.

Still looking back fondly on those times, but lack of career progress and low wages eventually put me off. That, and sometimes clueless management. No wonder they all left Boots... ;-)

Stuey, are you who I think you are?

FabricatorGeneralMike
18-06-2011, 01:21
I did my tour of duty in Store 2002, Metrotown then changed to GW Burnaby. Now the store is closed and who knows when or if it will re-open. I made some good friends and also some good enemys. I liked the job at first but putting the hardsell on ANYONE who walked into the store was lame.

Hey Jind, you still owe me a game of Space Hulk ;)

Renzokuken
18-06-2011, 04:44
Worked at Gw metro from Dec 2010 to may 2011.

Was on the trainee manager scheme, on my three month probation, which got extended to 4 months, got told my probation was being ended mid way through the fifth month for not fulfilling the 10 commandments, Basicly I wasn't hard selling enough. I was hitting kpi's just not the way they wanted. This was after spending several weeks away from home in areas as far afield as Kendal and Milton keynes covering management holidays.

Bullying was rife, both by the manager to his staff, and amongst the regulars. We even had a 28 year old teacher who regularly picked on a 13 year old kid, told the boss and nothing was done.

I'm now playing warmachine.

torealis
18-06-2011, 10:07

no way! I worked with Edd (who insisted on 2 d's), for the 3 or so months before he left. GW burned him out big time...

But yes, I worked for nearly a year at Bromley before GW and I had a less than acrimonious breakup. Apparently I'm now a cautionary tale for GW staffers, and the reason for their tight-lipped rumour policies...

That probably doesn't help my current application for 'Become Legendary'...

mcflurry
18-06-2011, 19:24
Worked at Gw metro from Dec 2010 to may 2011.

Was on the trainee manager scheme, on my three month probation, which got extended to 4 months, got told my probation was being ended mid way through the fifth month for not fulfilling the 10 commandments, Basicly I wasn't hard selling enough. I was hitting kpi's just not the way they wanted. This was after spending several weeks away from home in areas as far afield as Kendal and Milton keynes covering management holidays.

Bullying was rife, both by the manager to his staff, and amongst the regulars. We even had a 28 year old teacher who regularly picked on a 13 year old kid, told the boss and nothing was done.

I'm now playing warmachine.

As in the Metro Centre? I used to hate that store.

Renzokuken
18-06-2011, 21:58

That's the one, ran by Malcolm Lemon, a man all the regulars (and some staff) call "hobby void".

mcflurry
19-06-2011, 14:01
That's the one, ran by Malcolm Lemon, a man all the regulars (and some staff) call "hobby void".

I remember it being a miserable place; none of the atmosphere Newcastle had. Although I had a few bad experiences at Newcastle too.

blongbling
20-06-2011, 09:07
I worked in Head Office from end of 2002 till summer 2006, in Northern Europe Trade Sales as an account manager. 2003 was the best year ever at GW for me. That was just one long summer of massive sales, Bugmans every night and great weekend parties with staff from all countries and departments.

Still looking back fondly on those times, but lack of career progress and low wages eventually put me off. That, and sometimes clueless management. No wonder they all left Boots... ;-)

Stuey, are you who I think you are?

could be depending on who you are of course :)

Smudge the Ignored
21-06-2011, 15:57
Two stints totaling about 2 years (97-98 and again in 2000), Newcastle, Metro and Sunderland.

Getting pissed on a staff night out and having a clash of heads on the dance floor of the local rock club cutting my head open and getting concussion the same night my new(ish) manager falls over out side said club and breaks his wrist, Both of us getting a dressing down from the area manager who wouldn't beleive we hadn't been in a fight!

The job would have been ok if not for the customers, us gamers nerds and geeks can be a right pain in the ****.

yabbadabba
21-06-2011, 16:14
did my time at the Croydon store pretty much 10 years ago now, March 01 to about Oct 02, worked with some cool guys and some not so cool guys but it was a good experience. not sure I like what the company has become anymore as it really has lost its old spirit which is a shame. also massive shout out to Ed from the Bromley store from those days, he was a total legend and GW missed out by not making him a regional manager or something! Edd turned down Squad Leader so many times I lost count.

Smudge the Ignored
21-06-2011, 16:16
I worked in GW Metro and Newcastle 2001-2002.

Have some great memories of working in Metro with some great guys. Management was a different matter though, bullying was rife and sadly I was too young to understand it.

Being forced to work unpaid overtime and paint stores minis at home sucked, I was even disciplined once for not doing so (at home in my OWN time).

I can remember 1 staffer losing his job and being BARRED from all the stores in the area for selling a regular his CSM army. A little while later I saw the manager doing exactly the same thing and even displaying his armies in store so he could big them up to prospective buyers.

Looking back now as a union rep it was shocking the disregard for employment rules or sometimes common decency.

That aside the other redshirts were al good guys and I made some real friends i still keep in touch with today.

I remember that, hell it was common to get sacked if a manager didn't like you through out GW not just Metro. Hell Huss' sacked me (the second time around) because he convieniently "forgot" that when I moved from Sunderland to Metro I had booked some time off to have an operation on my feet which he tried to get me to return to work the same afternoon!

I remember it being a miserable place; none of the atmosphere Newcastle had. Although I had a few bad experiences at Newcastle too.

As some one who worked all three T&W stores Metro is a bag of ***** as a store. Mal' is a good guy I worked with him when he was staff in Newcastle and I have a lot of time for him. However Metro does something to you, it kills all hobby enthusiasm you might have ever had once upon a time, like the elephant grave yard of staff you go there to die. I blame how difficult it is to get to and all of that false lighting better than Necromancy for making a zombie hoard!

Insane Psychopath
21-06-2011, 17:50
I worked part time for GW Glasgow (the old Queen Street Shop) back in 1992 till 1994, then a stint full time for a year before leaving at the end of 1995 just after the white metal switch over.

Did stints at Edinburgh, Ayr and Stirling when needed.

I'm Alan Robertson and if any of you remember me ... you have a good memory !

White Metal was just release the year after I started the hobby in 1996 :D

If you cover GW Stirling then no dout I will have seen you. I was there as a kid when the store open in until it close in 2002. Went ever Sat, was a good store as I had a lot of family & also my mum do a lot of shopping on the Sat while I went into the store.

I been to as store as a hobbiest since start as a kid

GW Glasgow - Had bit of a bad experince with one of the staffer. Basicly on the Sunday starter day, if you where new to the hobby, he'd get all the other people to blast your unit of the table & your left standing/left out.

GW Stirling when it open as said - Just with a lot of family in Stirling

GW Glasgow - Went there when GW Stirling close.

GW Falkirk currently - Manger done a lot to help me out in the hobby. Brought a lot of new life into the hobby.

Would pop into GW Edinbrugh now & then during these past fifteen years as a hobbiest. Then as said in 2008 got a part time job & also still go up there now & then to met up with those I got on with & try get a few games vs the friends I made while working there.
Also GW Edinbrugh where I started the hobby back in Sept

From what I rememeber from GW Stirling

Kenny, had a lot of time for me & was great for running me though games of Gorka Morka when the store was quite & my mum went shopping.

Craig Senior (also work in GW Glasgow & Edinbrugh). He the one who really got me into the painting side of the hobby & attend tournament, very greatful for the time he give me for the hobby, even went to his flat now & then to get a few games.
Also his conversion work on his Thasound Son army was brillaint.

Max he then went to Edinbrugh when Stirling was close up until late 2007. Pretty much a lot of people knew Max if they been in GW Stirling or Edinbrugh. My mum use to teach his kids as well ha, ha.

Colin the manger, use to be manger in Glasgow. I think he was manger of Stirling when it open. Use to keep saying I was a Goblin because back as a kid I was small.

Martin Moffiet, still keep in contact with him as we attend a few tournaments.

Daren the manger from New Zealand. He now a teacher from what I been told.... those poor, poor, poor kids ha, ha :D

Jim who was the manger when Tau where just release. Another great person help me in the hobby. I rememeber when he got his Tau mail order, again due to store being quite & I was waiting on my mum while she did shopping. Got a quick game where Jim use two squad of Tau Fire Warriors & I use my Black Templars.

Eric another manger. Was bald & had a beard. Again alway kept a eye out for me & helpful in the hobby when I was a kid.

Can't rememeber much more on the other staffer sadily. But it was a good store back in the days.

IP

Johann Fellhammer
22-06-2011, 09:53
@Blingblong: Are you familiar with any GW NE staff from 2003-2007? If so, you should know me.

RCgothic
22-06-2011, 11:00
yup i worked full time in oxford branch for bout 9 months then part time in reading when it was upstairs in the mall for a couple of months.

who are you customer or worker?

Scragglefoot

I should know you as well. Not a staffer, but a regular at GW Oxford with Jason, Jeff, Dan and Charlie.

I share my name with Phil Kelly, so the name should have stuck.

GitzBlasta
24-06-2011, 07:42
I used to work in GW Milton Keynes as a full timer for nearly 2 years back in... 2003 / 2004 / 2005 ish I think.

Great fun in the job, amazing discount, mostly great colleagues. I had an amazing manager too, which helped.

I left in the end because of money - GW pay is rubbish and I had to commute so I ended up getting a better paid job closer to home.

Aaah, I do miss those days though. I was Little Matt, there was Big Matt and then we had a customer we called Not As Big As Big Matt But Bigger Than Little Matt Matt.

Tzar Boris
09-07-2011, 16:52
Oh aye, I forgot when I posted in this to say -

Tour of Duty - 2004-2007
Theatres - GW Carlisle, Dumfries, Carlisle, Ayr
Did minor one-off gigs at Metro, Lenton, Conflict Scotland and GD

Was employed initially to cover Dumfries opening, but managed to escape back to Carlisle fairly early on. Management in general gets a lot of stick, but a lot of the time the guys were just having to carry the message - got on quite well with all of them to some degree or another, just tended to agree to disagree on certain issues...

A couple of rocky moments when my big mouth got me in trouble with proper upper management and some hellish pride swallowing, but I got through it.

When Ayr closed I coulda gone off to join the ranks from the base up again in some other store, but decided to take the redundancy money and flee.

Anyway, best and worst job ever. It's highs are high, it's lows are bottom of the barrel. Interesting times, indeed.

You may know me, Scott Dickson, or "the Shiz".

If in doubt, bodge it.

McLucien18
09-07-2011, 21:57
I would like to get a job there (although I'm only 17 at the moment), I'm not too perturbed by some of the horror stories as my current job at an outdoor equipment place has pretty bad problems. It seems more to be retail in general (we functionally have a 10 commandments as well) than just GW. I would jump at the chance to do something more in line with my interests (I am a fairly compulsive hobbyist).

Cool thread, I was interested to hear some Reading voices having been a regular there forears.

Renzokuken
10-07-2011, 02:44
As some one who worked all three T&W stores Metro is a bag of ***** as a store. Mal' is a good guy I worked with him when he was staff in Newcastle and I have a lot of time for him. However Metro does something to you, it kills all hobby enthusiasm you might have ever had once upon a time, like the elephant grave yard of staff you go there to die. I blame how difficult it is to get to and all of that false lighting better than Necromancy for making a zombie hoard!

Mal' is a good guy, when he wants to be, the problem is nowadays he never wants to be. I bent over backwards to try to earn his respect and in general just be treated like a human being, but whenever I spoke to him I got one word answers and grunts.

Metro definately does something to your hobby, it absolutely decimated mine, after traveling a four hour round trip to get there and back every day. And doing my job, I just didn't want to do anything even remotely related to GW. And I still don't to this day, which is why all my GW stuff is now up in the for sale section and I'm playing warmachine.

Serraphim
11-07-2011, 20:01
I did 1 year as a Keytimer in Hammersmith/Ealing back in 99 and 1 year at Ontario, CA in 03

Sleazy
11-07-2011, 20:07
I remember that, hell it was common to get sacked if a manager didn't like you through out GW not just Metro. Hell Huss' sacked me (the second time around) because he convieniently "forgot" that when I moved from Sunderland to Metro I had booked some time off to have an operation on my feet which he tried to get me to return to work the same afternoon!

I remember something about someones feet! I cant quite dredge who you are out of the pit of my brain but I must know you.

Mal is a decent guy. Worked alongside him and he was a good laugh, he always has time to say hello when I see him these days too.

Jim
12-07-2011, 15:15
Time Served: 3 Years 1997-2000
Locations: Richmond & Southampton

Started as a dewy eyed 17 year old key-timer with Alan Pospiech (sp?) as my manager at Richmond branch shortly after it opened in '97... Full Timer was Zak Hems - cool guy, who went onto work at GW Staines I believe. Enjoyed my initial stint learning about work (was my first proper job) and had some pretty cool people around me.

Transferred to Southampton branch when I went to Uni and flip-flopped between the two branches depending on when I was at Uni in term time or back home during holidays. Worked in Soton with the Legendary Bob, Rod, Joe Hill, Jon Hart (still working for GW in Spain I think?), Den Patrick, etc up until 2000 when I finished Uni and left the company for a full time well paid job in banking!

I have fond memories of the Soton store and my time there - even if I was responsible for most of the Sat/Sun Noob games 99% of the time with a raging hangover. Awesome regulars there as well - Gary, Nick, Pete used to hang out with staff in the back office and was very relaxed atmosphere.

Jim

yabbadabba
12-07-2011, 15:25
I have fond memories of the Soton store and my time there - even if I was responsible for most of the Sat/Sun Noob games 99% of the time with a raging hangover. Nigel Woods over in Ipswich used to take his staff out before every big release weeken and get them hammered. Had a theory that if you went into work feeling awful then every customer would turn up and make it worse. Seemed to work. I think I was still drunk for most of the BFG release weekend!

Serraphim
12-07-2011, 16:47

I've been trying to get a hold of Matt Anderson for a decade now. One of the greatest guys I've ever met.

Killgore
12-07-2011, 22:07
Worked in Soton with the Legendary Bob, Rod, Joe Hill, Jon Hart (still working for GW in Spain I think?), Den Patrick, etc up until 2000 when I finished Uni and left the company for a full time well paid job in banking!

Was that Rod from the IOW? Big Hairy chap?

He was a legend when he opened his own indy store

MLP
12-07-2011, 22:19
Hey I know rod! He working in soton? Awesome dude

Grimstonefire
12-07-2011, 22:20
Was that the one in Newport? I went there several times. Infact I bought my first army there.

TallChris
13-07-2011, 13:52
Time Served: 3 Years 1997-2000
Locations: Richmond & Southampton

Started as a dewy eyed 17 year old key-timer with Alan Pospiech (sp?) as my manager at Richmond branch shortly after it opened in '97... Full Timer was Zak Hems - cool guy, who went onto work at GW Staines I believe. Enjoyed my initial stint learning about work (was my first proper job) and had some pretty cool people around me.

Jim

Worked with Zak in Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) , he is now working in the Bristol Central store (well he was there last time I popped in)