PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Rulebook

chivalrous
16-01-2008, 17:59
With the new Ork codex out and rumours of the Space Wolves and Dark Eldar codexes not being too far away, I'm considering getting back into 40K after going on hiatus midway through 3rd edition and this means buying the rulebook... or a rulebook:confused:

So trawling through Ebay I find the main hardcover 40K rulebook and also the mini rulebook that comes free with the Battle for Macragge box.

So first of all, what does the big book have that the little one doesn't?

Would I be missing out if I saved 20 and just bought the little book or is there a wad of crucial rules and tables that I'd be missing?

Also, is it worth forking out for the Wargear book as well?

Lord Damocles
16-01-2008, 18:04
The little book doesn't have any of the fluff / filler / pretty pictures / kill team rules. Not a great loss really considering that the little book is so much more convienient to use and carry about.

Isn't a lot of the wargear book out of date now?

PS: For the Emperor's sake don't ever buy a rulebook from GW. 40? they're having a laugh surely:eek:. Oh, I see they're not.:(

Lezta
16-01-2008, 18:11
40? 30 more like.

chivalrous
16-01-2008, 18:12
PS: For the Emperor's sake don't ever buy a rulebook from GW. 40? they're having a laugh surely:eek:. Oh, I see they're not.:(

No intention of doing so whatsoever, it's Ebay all the way ;)

Qualdinesh
16-01-2008, 18:18
I got the mini rulebook off Ebay its so much easier to deal with when traveling and researching and it's much cheaper, if you want the fluff I'm sure you can find it by other means :)

Sholto
16-01-2008, 18:20
I got the mini rulebook off Ebay its so much easier to deal with when traveling and researching and it's much cheaper, if you want the fluff I'm sure you can find it by other means :) This is what I did - the smaller rulebook has the same page layout as the large one (so you can find things easily) and it is much more convenient and practical.

Sholto

Lord Damocles
16-01-2008, 18:30
40? 30 more like.

Quite right sir!:D

Still over priced though.

Lord Inquisitor
16-01-2008, 18:34
Especially since if the rumours are correct, you'll only get a maximum of 6 months out of the rulebook before GW release a new edition, I'd go for as cheap as possible!

kermit
16-01-2008, 18:34
Get the small book... with the confirmed rumours of 5th edition coming out, then there really is no need to get the big one just yet.

And if you like orks... then the new starter set has orks in it... all the better for you then!

Dogma
16-01-2008, 18:42
I have both and the only time the big hardcover leaves the shelf is when i have lost the little one.

mattjgilbert
16-01-2008, 19:00
I had both (large one first before the little one came out). Ended up using only the little one once I had it. It's much more pratical during a game.

Shame I can't find it now....doh.

Stella Cadente
16-01-2008, 19:03
so the little one is more practical hey?
heres an idea GW instead of charging 30 for the large book with all the information everyone ignores, why not sell the small one for 10 with all the stuff people actually care about

Grimtuff
16-01-2008, 19:07
heres an idea GW instead of charging 30 for the large book with all the information everyone ignores, why not sell the small one for 10 with all the stuff people actually care about

Yeah, they're called Black Library books ;)

PseudoK
16-01-2008, 19:19
The one thing the big book has that's actually interesting is more missions. The little book has five "Standard" missions, while the big book has missions with altered FOC charts - things like Meat Grinder and Ambush.

Whether that is worth the extra money is up to you. ;)

chivalrous
16-01-2008, 21:54
Especially since if the rumours are correct, you'll only get a maximum of 6 months out of the rulebook before GW release a new edition, I'd go for as cheap as possible!

Get the small book... with the confirmed rumours of 5th edition coming out, then there really is no need to get the big one just yet.

But we've only just had 4th!?! ;)
Thing is, half the rumours seem to suggest this is a brand new edition, half of them suggest that '5th edition' is really going to be the '40K advanced' supplement rather than an entirely new edition.

All the same, if all the rules are in the smaller book and all I'm missing are painting guides (in the codecies anyway) and scenarios then it's going to be the smaller book I'll go for.
I've got all the 2nd edition rule books and access to Warseer if I want background material :D

Lord Inquisitor
16-01-2008, 22:34
You have to realise that the hardback has multiple benefits over the small softback:
1) Tray for models
2) Whacking ruleslawyers about the head (particularly important one this one)
3) Looking pretty on a shelf

pookie
17-01-2008, 09:44

but GW would pref that extra 20 even if only a small amount of people buy it! not that i disagree.

although there is a fairly confired Rumour of 5th comeing out, i still cant see it completly changing 40K so it wouldnt be a total waste of time gettimng the current rulebook, id just try and get it as cheap as poss ( as you have already said, im just saying it again :D ).