PDA

View Full Version : Garry mucks it up again

Arhalien
16-01-2008, 19:52
I'm not sure how many of you play Garry's Mod but I thought any of you that do may be interested to know that the latest update to the game has all but killed the game; multiplayer doesn;t work, if you turn on the flashlight it crashes the game (I had one friend who crashed on the menu), chatting crashes it, many of the mods don;t work, killing an enemy can crash it.

I hope that Garry is working day and night to fix this, otherwise he's going to be ludicrously unpopular.

Anyone else have anything to say about this?

Helicon_One
16-01-2008, 19:54
You should probably ask for your money back.

Tim

Arhalien
16-01-2008, 19:59
Ah it wasn;t much, and it should get fixed within the week, and the update was free. I'm just annoyed that Garry wasn;t able to get the update working, especially when the beta was apparently fine.

Caboose123
16-01-2008, 20:43
wasn't
doesn't
don't
' is right of the ; button

Never played it, but you should check if GW people made it, sounds like it!

Arhalien
16-01-2008, 20:56
Sorry about that; it's a typo I can very rarely avoid ;)

It's not a GW game; it's a physics mod for Half Life 2; it takes the Source engine, all the props from it and Counterstrike, gives you a lot of tools and sticks you on a map: from there it's up to you. ;)
The game is made by the multiplayer version and the mods that are released for it; there are game modes such as pirate-ship wars, zombie survival and space-build, or just model packs, such as a great one which contains lots of modular spaceship pieces. Unfortunately it's these two things that Garry has managed to break.... (I think he's done this before as well :( It's a shame as it's a great game)

Some guy (UK)
16-01-2008, 21:14
It's okay, at least on singleplayer.
It seems terribly laggy -well more so- when loading a NPC in for the first time in a session than the previous version, and whilst the updates graphics wise (from the '2007 source engine') look nice, my recommended settings have fell in one or two places, so I suspect it will hit on machines like mine performance wise (2.8ghz P4, 2GB, FX5200).

Still new PC in a week or so, 100+ FPS here I come!

Haven't played on multiplayer for a while, as I never seem to find a game mode I like, or server with a good atmosphere. However, for most, its the most important element of the game, so I can see your pain.

Arhalien
16-01-2008, 21:23
Hmm, so if it's running with better graphics my computer is going to hate it :(

If you can't find a server maybe come and join me and my friends if this thing starts working again; we're all a bit mad so things often go a bit strange, it's normally fun in a strange way ;) (my account name is hywel_t on Steam if you're interested ;))

Some guy (UK)
16-01-2008, 22:10

If you can't find a server maybe come and join me and my friends if this thing starts working again; we're all a bit mad so things often go a bit strange, it's normally fun in a strange way ;) (my account name is hywel_t on Steam if you're interested ;))

Just don't spam barrels and explode them, and you'll be fine :D

Typheron
17-01-2008, 07:19

thats probably the exact reason for the failings, the system specs for the game have basically been upped with the use of the updated orange box engine. For a start shadows by light sources can now be dynamically cast, but only if suppored by the computers hardware.

Best to be turning down the settings and making sure its tuned to your system.

I personally will be notching the settings up so my hardware can do its awesome thing. Still lags on a ton of explosive barrels however, some things just cant be avoided.

Arhalien
17-01-2008, 07:54
Just don't spam barrels and explode them, and you'll be fine :D

Well that only happens occasionally so you should be fine ;)
The latest game is making a huge maze out of space build parts and then playing a deathmatch style game inside it; I was going to try that last night when I discovered the problems.

Apparently it's fixed now, although only because Garry got Valve (the company behind Steam) to help him. I'll try it out this evening if I get a chance.
@Typheron; My graphics are already on the lowest possible settings and it tends to lag a bit with the old engine! :D