PDA

View Full Version : How much of a "horde" are the HoC?

Pooky
16-01-2008, 23:23
I was looking at my HoC army and then looked at my friends empire and my other friends Orcs and Gobbo armies. I then realised that for an army with the word "horde" in it I don't have that many models.

I asked some of the GW staff and they said that the HoC are odd in that they are on the line between an elite army with few units and a horde army with a pile of models. HoC sits on the line in that you could have both horde units AND elite units. Or you could have horde units OR elite units.

When I think horde I picture Orcs and Gobbos, Undead, and even The Empire. Basically I think horde armies are ones that have the standard combat res of 5 before they even enter combat (3 ranks, standard + outnumber). Horde armies also have "throw away" units, for example The Empire could throw a unit of infantry (a tasty bait) to try to draw out the enemy and be quiet happy to just loose the unit.

My Chaos Warriors only have 1 rank (and that's before they are shot to pieces). They have to try to make combat res through sheer kills, which is usually easy enough against some horde armies.

Anyway, so why does HoC have horde in the name? Is it a fluff thing? As in they are not a regimented army, but a gang (i.e. horde) of warriors?

theunwantedbeing
16-01-2008, 23:29
If you arent taking dirt cheap marauders or warhounds in fairly sizable quantities then you dont get a hoarde.
The name isnt a description of the army though, its simply a description of the masses of various types of chaos worshippers who live in the north lands.
So in that sense they are a "hoarde".

sephiroth87
17-01-2008, 07:13
I have well over 100 models in my 2000 point hordes list. It's bulked up by two units of marauders and a big beast unit. I've seen that my army is not the norm from playing other people, though. A lot of armies max out on expensive knight units (making them even more expensive than they already are) and other point sinks, which I usually avoid.

Griefbringer
17-01-2008, 10:24
Anyway, so why does HoC have horde in the name? Is it a fluff thing? As in they are not a regimented army, but a gang (i.e. horde) of warriors?

Sort of. Also, there is literally hordes (= lots) of them in the north, and when the chaos incursions hit they descend south in great hordes, putting the inhabitants of Old World to a desperate defense.

Those huge numbers are not really presented well on your average game due to requirement of even point values, so your average Chaos army is more likely to represent a small raiding force than a major invasion. Trying some of the scenarios from Storm of Chaos book (Halting the Tide, From the Wastes) would give the chaos force more in the way of numbers.

Skyldig
17-01-2008, 17:22
The word horde, originally is mongolian meaning "camp". Chaos is also based on the steppe tribes combined with a romantic viking theme where warriors march in heavy armour and pointy helmets to war (or in longboats)

Or you could otherwise just assume that since there are so many aspects that make up "chaos", you bundle them up with a nice collective word. Like "the hordes of chaos".

W0lf
17-01-2008, 22:03
My 'horde' army has 34 models.

The cheapest is 23 pts. The most expensive is 508 pts.

Pooky
17-01-2008, 22:19
My 'horde' army has 34 models.

The cheapest is 23 pts. The most expensive is 508 pts.

How how many points is the army though? :D

Looking at my horde, I have about 70 models in 1500 points.

kdh88
18-01-2008, 14:53
It could be a perception by the other races as opposed to reality. Consider the RL Mongol "hordes", which were outnumbered in nearly every battle they fought. Since their mobility made it seem like they were everywhere at once, the Europeans assumed there were both more men per army and more armies involved in the invasion than there actually were. I can easily see the Empire, Brettonia et. al. making the same mistake about HoC.

CauCaSus
18-01-2008, 15:01
The answer: Not much

It could be a typo though, it could be a "hoard (hoarde?) of chaos", as in, a LOT of chaos / very chaotic

Now, that would fit perfectly :cheese:

And its kind of sad that chaos players have to use the Beast of Chaos to create an actual "horde" chaos list ;)

kroq'gar
18-01-2008, 15:45
It could be a perception by the other races as opposed to reality. Consider the RL Mongol "hordes", which were outnumbered in nearly every battle they fought. Since their mobility made it seem like they were everywhere at once, the Europeans assumed there were both more men per army and more armies involved in the invasion than there actually were. I can easily see the Empire, Brettonia et. al. making the same mistake about HoC.

Kubla khan could summon six million horsemen in the time of marco polo. Do you know how immense that is for a force back then?

Chaos seems to be mr-lord-of-doom and his six drinking buddies, witha few minions tossed in for kicks.

W0lf
18-01-2008, 16:10
My 34 models is 2k.

Anyway this threads kinda silly...

Horde as already stated refferes to 'camp' not horde as in '**** look at how many there are!'

It makes sense that a army thats supposed to contain the best CC monsters around is not a horde army.

superknijn
18-01-2008, 16:31
The HoC aren't Horde-ish because of the amount of people in them, but because of their dis-organized nature, with people just gathering around strong chaos lords, and frequent in-fighting. It's no weakling 'We're all humans with a German accent! Now send us your 60 spearmen, 30 handgunners, general and 2 cannons, so we can unite and destroy the Chaos horde'-Empire.