PDA

View Full Version : Non Existant Characters

Knights of Requiem
17-01-2008, 11:32
I bought COD 4 the other day and loved almost every minute of it. I didnt like the death of the marine character. Check that, i didnt like the death of the Marines teammates. The Marine Character was just a name, and a pair of boots, actually, just a name and a Weapon.

Is anyone sick of the Call of Duty franchise giving us speechless characters? Is anyone else sick of hearing nothing coming from our own mouth.

The best games have the best characters. Varquez, is awesome, Price is awesome, Gaz, Griggs, ALL AWESOME. You? Your not. And im sick of it.

I mean, i may not yet be a soldier, but im pretty sure a soldier would protest ALWAYS getting the most dangerous task. He would follow orders to do it, but the realism would be enhance by a nice hearty ****** THAT!!!!

Does anyone agree that the COD soldiers need to be people, not just another weapon?

It would make the story so much better, it would be interactive, im sick of being outside the story so to speak, as your character never says a word. Its hard to be included in the story when you dont feel apart of it!

Thats my rant for today

So whats everyones opinion?

yaspro
17-01-2008, 11:41
i know ye, i think they should well make it better.

DantesInferno
17-01-2008, 12:33
Half Life and Half Life 2 should show that you don't need the player character to say or do anything special in cutscenes to feel part of the story.

Gordon Freeman: last of the great mimes.

Typheron
17-01-2008, 14:33
One thing i do miss is the Duke Nukem 3-D style shift-F1-F10 throw-a-random-line-out device.

Dont get me wrong, stuff like Half Life 1&2 are damn cool and highly emersive (argh the spelling!) but having the ability to throw out a line, or some scripted from the player chat is still cool and missing from most games i can think of these days. Its all cutscenesfor your own talking now.

I miss duke.

theunwantedbeing
17-01-2008, 15:16
Climbing a ladder is always fun.
Look down...wait, I havent got legs.
Look up....still no legs.
Wait a second, if my arms are holding onto the gun...then whats holding me to the ladder?
Ah endless amusement.

That and reloading both of your weapons at the same time....something that requires more than the hands that are holding the weapons at the time. Apparently you are reloading them by force of will.

Games need to adress that little hickup in realism.
I dont care for not being able to talk, I can always yell at the screen to protest and shoot round after round into my commanders head if I really want.

TheBigBadWolf
17-01-2008, 21:26
mmm the doom guy has no name and it is still one of the best person shooters

The Guy
17-01-2008, 22:13
Yes it does make the game rather dull. It would also be OK in my books if you could see yourself in cutscenes etc. like halo.

Stella Cadente
17-01-2008, 22:59
I don't really mind, I don't need my character to say anything on screen, I say it myself on the chair

WLBjork
18-01-2008, 08:06
Yes it does make the game rather dull. It would also be OK in my books if you could see yourself in cutscenes etc. like halo.

I find that completely destroys the feel of the game.

HL and HL2 got it bang on. You are the hero, you see everything from their perspective.

There's a few good scenes which, although like cutscenes, allow you to interfere and gain a little advantage whereas a true cutscene would be dull and uninspiring.

Outlaw289
18-01-2008, 21:33
I'd rather have no voice than risk having some incredibly bad and complain-y main character voice

Arnizipal
19-01-2008, 18:08
mmm the doom guy has no name and it is still one of the best person shooters
Yeah, but you could see his face and his reactions as he got progressivly more wounded.

Outlaw289
19-01-2008, 18:42
Doom Guy's name is Flynn Taggart

No I'm not kidding. It is that bad.

The Guy
19-01-2008, 19:46
I'd rather have no voice than risk having some incredibly bad and complain-y main character voice

QFT
Very few FPS's actually manage to do this right.

TheBigBadWolf
19-01-2008, 20:12
Doom Guy's name is Flynn Taggart

No I'm not kidding. It is that bad.

That is the book, which is rubbish

RavenMorpheus
19-01-2008, 20:25
I dont care for not being able to talk, I can always yell at the screen to protest and shoot round after round into my commanders head if I really want.

Not in the CoD series, afaik in all of them if you shoot your "comrades" you fail the mission - friendly fire not being tolerated and all that, certainly happened to me when one of the "friendly" ****** got in my way on CoD 1 anyway - and no it wasn't mission specific like all of them had to survive or a casualties must be kept as low as possible kind of thing.

I would say the non-vocalness of the characters is the least of the realism issues, the ton of rounds being carried, the no legs, the arms always holding the weapon no matter what your doing (climbing ladders as mentioned above) are all issues which need to be addressed, and then theres the fact that the enemies just stand there and shoot even though your shooting back at them - I know that when I get hit or have rounds flying past my head it affects my accuracy, but oddly enough the AI bots are always accurate?! :wtf:

floyd pinkerton
19-01-2008, 20:35
rather off topic, but in the sections in half lifes 1+2 where you've stopped at a computer/before a bridge etc. and who ever your with says something, but your out of their stupid 3 metre area in which you can hear them. annoys me.

I do like the idea of you being the hero, particularly in HL and Bioshock

The Guy
19-01-2008, 21:17
Not in the CoD series, afaik in all of them if you shoot your "comrades" you fail the mission - friendly fire not being tolerated and all that, certainly happened to me when one of the "friendly" ****** got in my way on CoD 1 anyway - and no it wasn't mission specific like all of them had to survive or a casualties must be kept as low as possible kind of thing.

I would say the non-vocalness of the characters is the least of the realism issues, the ton of rounds being carried, the no legs, the arms always holding the weapon no matter what your doing (climbing ladders as mentioned above) are all issues which need to be addressed, and then theres the fact that the enemies just stand there and shoot even though your shooting back at them - I know that when I get hit or have rounds flying past my head it affects my accuracy, but oddly enough the AI bots are always accurate?! :wtf:

Yea lots of things need to be altered. I think the AI should feel pain. In COD if you shoot a guy he'll keep running around like a spring chicken :wtf: They should just drop to the floor. But then again this would make gameplay suck as it would take one shot to drop any baddies.
One of the reasons I liked killzone was how "jerky" the viewpoint was. When you was sprinting it went all over the place etc. I also think you used your hands for ladders, can't remember.
And legs CAN be done [halo 2 and 3] so why don't more modern games have them?:confused:

five01st
20-01-2008, 10:44
@The Guy,
Check out BF 2142, when you pause in single-player, you can move your viewpoint around on an axis and see a PARTIALLY rendered body with arms, legs and part of your gun. The rest disappears into nothing though.
But yeah, CoD 4 tried for a Gordon Freeman style with the conversations but theres just something missing in CoD 4, where they did not hit it just right. At least thats how I felt about it. I do like the intractable cutscenes in HL.
I also remember that in HL hitting the enemy with certain guns can cause a sort of limited "stun," where tougher enemies are only "stunned" by stronger guns. This "stun" makes them stop firing for a moment.