PDA

View Full Version : What the Zog!??

Commander Dante
17-01-2008, 11:56
What does the Ork word Zog mean? I can't figure out any english word it sounds like.... For some reason i think it is a 3rd ork god, the Ork god of death.... any other ideas?

Apologist
17-01-2008, 13:35
It's a catch-all amusing swearword, like 'feth'.

Now zog off! ;)

biggreengribbly
17-01-2008, 13:36
It's a made-up expletive ;)

e.g: frak, feth etc

edit: Damnit. Ninja'd

Inquisitor S.
17-01-2008, 13:44
"Zog" is an old ork glyph dating back to the first edition and originally means "bugger off" or "bad/ not good" or something similar.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Bild:Ork_glyph_zog.gif

Marstfu
17-01-2008, 14:15
I've always seen "Wot Da Zog?" as being equal of WTF.

So, that would make Zog..

ryng_sting
17-01-2008, 17:08
All purpose expletive. As in, 'Zog off and tell your zoggin' Emperor I said so!'

Richter Kless
17-01-2008, 19:06
Now that were on the point of unexplainable Orkish vocabulary, where does 'Nob' and its plural 'Nobz' come from?

Icarus
17-01-2008, 19:12
I always assumed Nob was like the British slang word for a posh person, except this time it refers to a powerful Ork with more gear.

Orks ARE basically Brits of the footy playing variety ;)

Commander Dante
17-01-2008, 19:14
Now that were on the point of unexplainable Orkish vocabulary, where does 'Nob' and its plural 'Nobz' come from?

Nob is short for Noble

Baltar
17-01-2008, 19:14
Nob = Noble, Nobility.

CELS
17-01-2008, 20:16
Zog = Go away, get lost, no good.

Nob = Nobility, authority, high rank.

Ah, the joys of the 2nd Edition Ork Codex, from the olden days when you didn't have to buy seperate books from Black Library to get fluff... :)

Kandarin
17-01-2008, 20:27
Zog is like Arr! It means what ye wants it to mean.

Progena
17-01-2008, 21:58
I've been wondering about something too. "Gretchin"; that has to be a human term. I can't see how an Ork would be able to remember that the plural of "Grot" is "Gretchin". Provided of course that he'd have a reason to refer to such worthless creatures with another term than the collective "Runts". I mean, in Orkish, plural of "Ork" often end up as "Orkses".

And somethig slightly of track; WHFB Orcs refer to themselves as "Orks" not "Orcs", right?

Norminator
17-01-2008, 22:02
And somethig slightly of track; WHFB Orcs refer to themselves as "Orks" not "Orcs", right?

Considering they both sound the same and Orks aren't known for their writing, it could well be either.

Malevon
17-01-2008, 22:53
Gretchin is plural for Grot? I think not. Grotz is plural for Grot. Gretchin is just another word.

I wouldn't assume that Fantasy Orcs are literate. I wouldn't assume that 40k ones are either actually... is there any proof?

zoodog
18-01-2008, 01:28
I wouldn't assume that Fantasy Orcs are literate. I wouldn't assume that 40k ones are either actually... is there any proof?

The Glazgul entry in the new book seems to reference some ork grafiti, though he may be a special case and I find it unlikely that its common as it is unnecessary for the purposes of the average boy.

Gensuke626
18-01-2008, 02:00
All purpose expletive. As in, 'Zog off and tell your zoggin' Emperor I said so!'

Zog Da Zoggin' Zoggerz

thearchiver
18-01-2008, 02:26
This is a zog
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/Nor124/zog.jpg

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-01-2008, 02:28

Nope, you've got it backwards. WHFB greenies are "Orcs" and 40K greenies are "Orks". At least that's how it's written in my army book.

Feor
18-01-2008, 03:05
Semi related question:

I got my first box of Orks recently (not playing them... I think, but there's a warboss painting comp coming up, so I got a box of Bikes and went nuts) and was looking at the decals sheet. There's a few glyphs on it that don't show up in the Ork Codex (which I got cause it's an incredible codex) and I'm curious about.

One looks like a littel castle with three pointy spires, one Looks like a tower, one looks like a knife (handle and all, I'm thinking it's a varient on Snik), one looks like a chain, and one.... well, I'm thinking it's Zog, but there'd only be one raised finger, and it's not the one over the thumb...

If you're looking at the decal sheet's glyph section they're second row, far right, third row, second from left, third row, far left, fourth row far right, and fourth row, middle column, respectively.

Minister
18-01-2008, 03:16
The tower/fort may be Dur, meaning fortress, stronghold, city or armour. The knife (sideways, yes?) is Skar, meaning wound, trench, crater or cutting weapon. A single raised finger on the hand (the ring finger) is Gog, meaning god or power.

The pointy one may actually be Panzee, or Eldar. The central spike is the pointy head, and the two smaller ones on each side the ears. Sometimes the eyes are visible.

Don't have the new Codex until this weekend, nor do I have the new transfer sheet, so I can't be of any more help.

clanfield
18-01-2008, 05:23
2000 ad comic early 1980 s black hawk the roman time travel guy had a cave man called zog who only said zog as a phrase he also had a talking bear?

Cirrus the Blue
18-01-2008, 05:29
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3079 Da Kompleet Ork Dikshunary in all it's Orky glory! :D

- Cirrus

Progena
18-01-2008, 22:41
Nope, you've got it backwards. WHFB greenies are "Orcs" and 40K greenies are "Orks". At least that's how it's written in my army book.

Guess I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about "Ork Speek", you know... Kannons, Kommandos, Kroozers... when writng Orkish (or Orcish) the thumb rule is to replace all C's with K's "Ta make it Orky". Thus I'd presume that Fantasy Orcs would refer to themselves as Orks. Yes, i know it sounds exactly the same, but it's all about those all important Orky vibes.

Orks, Grots, Snots...

Feor
19-01-2008, 00:33
Ah, Dikshunary for the win!

My glyphs:
Castle: Grub
Tower: Dur
Knife: Skar
Chain: Og
Finger: Gog

Thanks, didn't even think of looking for something like that. :)

Cirrus the Blue
19-01-2008, 03:16
No problem!! :D The new Ork codex has a lot of the glyphs, but the printed version of the GorkaMorka Uvver Book had the full list of those, but the new codex has the Orkish 'katakana' dictionary, too which da Uvver Book didn't. :p This is the complete list. ;)

- Cirrus