PDA

View Full Version : Ridden monsters joining units

Izram
25-09-2005, 19:31
What happens when a ridden monster in a unit loses it's character? Does it stay with the unit? does it leave right away? move away next turn? What if it fails its monster reaction test?

Atrahasis
25-09-2005, 21:10
What happens when a ridden monster in a unit loses it's character? Does it stay with the unit? does it leave right away? move away next turn? What if it fails its monster reaction test?

As it is not a character, it can no longer remain with the unit, and so must leave it. It would be placed 1" away from the unit and then the monster reaction test etc. would be resolved.

Festus
25-09-2005, 21:31
Hi

As it is not a character, it can no longer remain with the unit, and so must leave it. It would be placed 1" away from the unit and then the monster reaction test etc. would be resolved.
D'accord on you with it not being part of the unit anymore, but why place it 1" apart?
The 1" rule only is valid for enemy models, not for friendly ones... :confused:

Greetings
Festus

Atrahasis
25-09-2005, 21:50
D'accord on you with it not being part of the unit anymore, but why place it 1" apart?

I misremembered my precedent for the ruling (TK in chariot having his chariot smashed from under him), thinking it stated a distance, when in fact it doesn't.

Tarax
27-09-2005, 08:50
I would say that the Monster could stay with the unit. See it as the unit taking care of the Monster, which might bolster its morale.

Imagine a Dragon joining you! :eek:

The Monster however is free to move.

BTW all of this taken into account the Monster Reaction Test.

Festus
27-09-2005, 09:02
Hi

Unfortunately, only characters can join other units, so a monster on its own is unable to be part of another unit.

Greetings
Festus

Tarax
27-09-2005, 09:09
As pointed out the Monster was already part of the unit when the character was killed. So IMO the monster is still part of the unit.

Atrahasis
27-09-2005, 10:11
As pointed out the Monster was already part of the unit when the character was killed. So IMO the monster is still part of the unit.

But it can no longer be part of the unit, in exactly the same way that a TK who loses his chariot cannot be part of a chariot unit.

Tarax
30-09-2005, 14:27
It goes far to say that the model, whether it's the chariot or the monster, would have to leave the unit straight away. Let's leave it at the next Movement phase.

Actually, when a TK character is killed, what would that chariot do? There is no longer anything to control it. But it's not destroyed. Let's see that old rule come back where a chariot moves in a random direction and a random distance. Should be great fun. :D

Atrahasis
30-09-2005, 15:09
It goes far to say that the model, whether it's the chariot or the monster, would have to leave the unit straight away. Let's leave it at the next Movement phase.

Actually, when a TK character is killed, what would that chariot do? There is no longer anything to control it. But it's not destroyed. Let's see that old rule come back where a chariot moves in a random direction and a random distance. Should be great fun. :D

I'd go for a Monster Reaction test myself :p

Izram
30-09-2005, 16:05
Tomb kings displace both crew?

Atrahasis
30-09-2005, 17:33
Tomb kings displace both crew?

TK chariots are VERY different to normal chariots, and the chariot for a character is bought as equipment for the character rather than from the Special choices, as would be normal in most armies.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
02-10-2005, 22:09
I didn;t think Characters riding monsters were allowed to join units? I've never been aware of this being possible.

And the only other instance I can think of are things like Daemonic Steeds, which go *poof* when their owner dies.

But then, having said that, Unicorns etc.. all count as monstrous mounts... I'd say it leaves the unit, becoming independant, THEN take the reaction test.

Izram
02-10-2005, 22:15
Daemonic mounts don't go *poof* neccasarily, they will suffer from instability but they don't auto-die.

A daemonic mount is what I am concerned about, i have converted a daemonic herald on a palquin of nurgle (will count as a beast of nurgle) and I want him to be in a unit of plague bearers. Although it is unlikely for the character to die before the mount, I would like to know how to handle it when it does happen.

The general consensus is, he must leave the unit and take the reaction test, right? Do daemonic mounts take reaction tests or just instability?

EDIT- and they certaintly can join units, there is even a chronicles article on how they displace ranks etc.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
03-10-2005, 18:19
Sadly, my Hordes of Chaos book is round Lols house right now, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure it says that when the rider is killed, the Daemonic Mount is banished.

I might be wrong, and I'd definitely check it!

Izram
03-10-2005, 18:37
I have my book, and it doesn't say that; it would especially not make sense in the case of daemonic legion.

So, he would leave the next movement phase that he could move, correct? I can't help thinking that there are no actual rules to deal with this and its just assumption/common sense.