PDA

View Full Version : Horror stories

Haydog
17-01-2008, 19:11
I was getting ready to transport my orc army to a tournament at our local gamestore. All I had was a large army box to use so I got everything packed up and ready to go the night before the tournament. Well apparently my wife's cat got into the garage and used my army box for a kitty litter box. I found a few broken arms and weapons and about half the army spritzed in cat pee. I had to make quick swith on army selection for the tournament. Doesn't smell too bad but I'm dreading that first hot day. I guess I'll take a toothbrush to them and clean them off????? Anybody else got any horror stories?

badgeraddict
17-01-2008, 19:14
Ewww.

I once dropped my Black Coach (painted and all) into concrete...man it went everywhere! I was able to salvage it and it looks as good as new. Never does much game wise anymore. Its cursed now, but I've told the story of the 5's & 1's too many times! lol

Dominatrix
17-01-2008, 19:27
I was getting ready to transport my orc army to a tournament at our local gamestore. All I had was a large army box to use so I got everything packed up and ready to go the night before the tournament. Well apparently my wife's cat got into the garage and used my army box for a kitty litter box. I found a few broken arms and weapons and about half the army spritzed in cat pee. I had to make quick swith on army selection for the tournament. Doesn't smell too bad but I'm dreading that first hot day. I guess I'll take a toothbrush to them and clean them off????? Anybody else got any horror stories?

Well this gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase "Your army STINKS!". :D
No horror stories from me though. I am extremely paranoid when transporting models from/to stores and tournaments. Nine years playing and no accidents yet! :cool:

SneakyChris
17-01-2008, 19:50
This summers floods........I just bought a house in Tewkesbury, and had been given permission by the other half to convert the garage (bigger than some GW stores), into a games room. So I moved everything to the garage out of the box room (20 ish cases, been collecting since 1989). Well the friday afternoon I was out helping neigbours move to higher ground when the sewage drains just outside the garage started to come up. This filled the garage 3 ft of water, destroying 80% of all my stuff. Dam foam sucked up all the filth. The smell, the smell!!!!!!! I have a picture of a chimera floating down my garden.

What did we learn?

Galord
17-01-2008, 19:54
Horror... is when u ex girlfriend get **** off and paint all your models with a purple spray can...even more when u have Bretonnia...

Dominatrix
17-01-2008, 19:55
@ SneakyChris

Never put all your eggs in one basket? :p

SneakyChris
17-01-2008, 19:56
supplemental to my post it wasnt just 40k stuff lost.

Braad
17-01-2008, 19:58
A friend of mine drove home after a battle (I think he lost...) and had his army in a box, on top of his armybook (slippery) on top of the passenger seat. Never really bothered to buy a real case or something, it was nearly around the corner.

Then some silly person (a women, I think) suddenly drives onto the road and not giving way. While braking, his whole army (several thousands points of dark elves) came flying. Only the black dragon survived. But he has wings, so that's unfair advantage.

The Adept
18-01-2008, 07:09
When moving house, a couple of the people helping dropped a double mattress onto my black dragon. He exploded! Forget cannons - mattress' are the weapon of choice against dragons!

PeG
18-01-2008, 10:49
I dont have anything as bad as the story that started the thread but there is always something. My son had severe problems with assembling a treeman that kept falling apart despite him trying several different glues etc. Finally he brought it to a painting/playing activity organised by a local store that sells GW products during the Christmas holiday. When he has assembled the model he puts it to the side to dry but almost directly when he has done this another participant grabs it and makes a leg leg fall of. My son then reassembles the model and asked me to put it somewhere high were noone could reach it. Shortly after I did that some small kid "happened" to throw his newly bought 40k box through the air knocking down the treeman from the shelf. Now my son payed the price for putting something high up as the treeman was shattered into very small pieces when he hit the floor. The treeman never recovered from that fall and although is is assembled again he does look a bit bruised.

kris.sherriff
18-01-2008, 10:56
Hmmm Horror stories?
There was this one time where this pink horror got chopped in half and two blue horrors jumped out, it was awesome.

Kris

Jellicoe
18-01-2008, 12:16
The old 'fig box on the front seat incident is almost a rite of passage. A mate of mine lost his entire Naploeonic naval spanish fleet like that, all beautifuuly painted and rigged too

Urgat
18-01-2008, 12:57
Only one bad one, and not SO bad. I mistook the varnish spray with the white undercoat spray when I decided my boar boyz were "complete". Well, they had to be completed a second time... They don't look nearly as good as the first attempt though :'(
My minis tend to fall from times to times though (and usually it's a high fall, when I'm storing them back on my shelves or picking them before a battle...), and everytime this happens, I'm not gluing them back right away, I'm pinning the parts that came off first. Some night goblins are now near indestructible, pinned up to the shield :p (yes, I'm pinning shields, I glued back too many night gob shields for my sanity of mind to be preserved).

Mad Doc Grotsnik
18-01-2008, 17:17
I had a friend, who having finished painting a Zombie, neatly dropped it into the PVA, rescued it, only for it to slip through his fingers into the Flock, and having been rescued again, into the brush water.....

Binabik15
18-01-2008, 22:34
Good god, now it´s suddenly "the wife´s" cat?!:p

Sorry about all your models, but after Mad Doc Grotsnik´s post I just had to add my own stories: EVERY plastic model I pick up to convert falls through my hands/fingers at least a trazillion time :mad: The thing is not that I´m afraid to crush them, put it started in the last months and gets worse all the time. Considering that I convert ALL my models, that is a lot of floor love from my models :cries:

It´s like I turn into Stephen Hawking as soon as the part I touch is plastic :wtf:

Warhammerrox
19-01-2008, 00:30
This summers floods........I just bought a house in Tewkesbury, and had been given permission by the other half to convert the garage (bigger than some GW stores), into a games room. So I moved everything to the garage out of the box room (20 ish cases, been collecting since 1989). Well the friday afternoon I was out helping neigbours move to higher ground when the sewage drains just outside the garage started to come up. This filled the garage 3 ft of water, destroying 80% of all my stuff. Dam foam sucked up all the filth. The smell, the smell!!!!!!! I have a picture of a chimera floating down my garden.

What did we learn?

Damn, sorry to hear about all the floods ruinin all your stuff, lots of good people got everythin they had wrecked... And the floods are still around... :(

All the best from dry Manchester...

Caboose123
19-01-2008, 01:37
Horror stories, eh?
Recently brought my army up to a tournament. Didnt have a proper case as i had 4 rhino sized vehicles and a dreadnought... and im a cheapskate :p Anyway, they were in a small, tight box, in an inconceivably smaller bag. The theory was there wouldnt be enough space for things to get knocked around and broken... was a great theory. First i brought foodstuffs i the same bag but the lid of the Pr*ngles got ... (torn?) off, then everything got crushed utterly... So small Pr*ngle crumbs and a smell still lingers on the models, by the end of the tourney so much had broken. This only happened last week though, so i can give you the exact amount of my 1500 point army that broke...
-2 attack bikes
-6 scouts
-Rhino
-10 marines
Each broken in at least 2 small bitty places... and i lovingly convery all my models :cries:
Not nearly as bad as *iss army or sewag* (inapropiatley placed astericks') army but it happened recently and it hurt... :cries:

(P.S. i can drag out any old story ;))

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-01-2008, 03:56
Horror... is when u ex girlfriend get **** off and paint all your models with a purple spray can...even more when u have Bretonnia...

Never, EVER get in a fight with your girlfriend when your models are around.

My girlfriend and I had been fighting all night long, and I had to leave for work. She wanted me to stay and talk with her, but if you don't show up for work in the Marine Corps bad things happen to you.

So I left the apartment, and as I'm walking to the car, she comes out on the balcony and yells at me to come back. I turn around and tell her I have to go to work. She leans down and picks up the predator I'd been priming on the balcony, lifts it threateningly, and then I watch as she hucks it onto the concrete sidewalk. The thing exploded, parts flew everywhere.

I tell her that she's crazy. That was a bad move.

Then she reached down and picked up the three bikers I was priming and threw them into the little planted area next to the sidewalk, turns around in a huff and shuts the door. I pick up what's left of the tank, find one biker, and walk to my car. Months later, after she had left, I went into the plants and amazingly found all the pieces of my bikers.

Yeah, we're not together anymore.

19-01-2008, 04:13
let me see

10K painted Elfs on a shelf + a hyperactive spoiled cat +3 newphews and neices ages 6,4, and 2....

you do the math

adreal
19-01-2008, 04:15
The worst i recall is a army on the front seat story, damn drivers in my town and my tomb kings go for a fly, only my catapult breaks (not the tomb king) and the cape off my hierophant.

This happened over a year ago and my catapult is still broken :D

Oh and daemonettes......you just touch one and an arm breaks off, i have 6 painted just 18 more to go :'(

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-01-2008, 04:23
let me see

10K painted Elfs on a shelf + a hyperactive spoiled cat +3 newphews and neices ages 6,4, and 2....

you do the math

I seriously don't even know why people own cats. They are the worst and yet one of the most common house pets in the world, and for some reason considered "domesticated." How many times have you heard these phrases from cat owners: "He doesn't like to be petted!" or "He doesn't like to be picked up." or "He scratches up the sofa." or "He does *insert insanely annoying/painful/disgusting thing here*."

Oh, he doesn't like being petted or picked up? TOUGH S**t!! I'm a human being, and you're a stupid cat that I feed and clean up after. I'll pick you up or pet you whenever I want! Or I'll throw you outside and you can find your own food and someone else to clean up after you. My God, what a worthless animal.

And, of course, after I tell people how much I loathe cats, I always here, "Well, not MY cat! MY cat is wonderful/acts like a dog/is a pretty little princess/poops diamonds/etc." And, not surprisingly, their stupid cat is just as terrible as every other stupid cat on the planet.

Now dogs, on the other hand, are where it's at. As long as it listens. If it doesn't listen and can't learn, he should probably take a visit to the nearest Chinese restaurant.

What were we talking about again? Oh, right. One time I dropped my hobby knife while I was scraping some flash off a model and caught it - point down into the top of my leg. Very nice. I always wanted a bloodstain on my pants.

Urgat
19-01-2008, 10:28
Why people own cats? Because some hate dogs and consider them both stupid, submissive, and stink as hell? I can't understand why people want to pet dogs, after that, you have to wash your hands for half an hour to get rid of the goddamn smell. Pus they drool, bark, break stuff with their stupid wagging tail (I loathe dogs :p). Finally, there's so much dog doo in my street I wish there was some kind of worldwide virus that would wipe them out of the face of the world (like you don't need to clean after dogs, with all their stinky hair they leave everywhere, too).
As you said, cats can find their own food by themselves, they can quite simply drop you. You're gone, your dog is dead. Stupid thing. You gotta waste half your day caring after it. Cat? You give it food on the moirning, you leave it out for the day, it comes back in the evening and sleeps for the night. Total amount spent on cat care? 10 minutes top.
Cats are cool, dogs are stupid mindless robots.
Whoa, I never thought I'd go OT about dogs on a warhammer forum 0.o mmmh, mmmh, How to link it to warhammer? Oh, yeah: Why d'you think the Arbites in 40K use robot dogs instead of real dogs? Not because they're tougher or anything, no, no, it's because it's exactly the same, bare the odor and the hair and the wagging tail :p "gets away from OT whistling a little happy air".

So, hem... yeah, yesterday night, after a successful skirmish game (for me :p ), my friend dropped like half his minis on the floor. Well, I thought marauders were more sturdy.

Lorcryst
19-01-2008, 11:41
Not really an "horror" story, rather a "stupidity" story ...

I have a couple of cannons, from the 6th and 7th edition boxed sets of WFB (one old Empire one and the "monobloc" Dwarf one).

During a game where those were proxying for two Goblin Spear Chukkas (I'm slowly buying the 6 that I need, but being poor means proxys are my friends), a friend of mine decided to check if the wheels of the Empire cannon could move ... they couldn't, I had to glue them because that particular kit was badly moulded ... well, in short, putting a lot of force and torque on a small bit of plastic will break it ... AND ruin the paint job, too.

I still can't figure how he thought that since the wheels wouldn't move with a gentle touch, it was OK to wrench it back and forth.

mistformsquirrel
19-01-2008, 12:00
I like both dogs AND cats! I have both <^_^>m *aminal person*

As for horror stories...

Mine's kinda weak, but then I'm a noob too <'x'>

My basement flooded; but not NEARLY as bad as Sneaky's - still, I found myself looking at my floor seeing floating Marines at my feet <o.@>

Oh, and my poor Emperor's Champion turned Chaplain has hit the floor and lost his arm so many times it hurts <T.T> On the upside, I've now glued his halberd/crozius to his Jump Pack, so it takes a lot more force to break him.

Fantasy wise...

My Mordheim band.

Each member has met a different and horrible fate! <T.T>

First there was my poor Brethren with Bows... each has at one point or another found himself beneath a rocking chair (I use a rocking chair as a desk chair)... needless to say, I can't find all the pieces for them now.

One of my Beastmen (using Chaos Warriors as "Counts as" Beastmen) has had his weapon break countless times, and every time I convert a replacement, that breaks too in a new and interesting way.

One of my remaining beastmen has had to be converted to a Chosen for my standard Warhammer army because one of the other poor guys was stepped on in the middle of the night. (I have no idea HOW he got on the floor - also I shall add: Converted great weapons hurt like a b****)

The only survivor of the Mordheim band right now is my Magister; she's being kept in a very special place, praying Sigmar doesn't find her too...

The_Warsmith
19-01-2008, 12:20

that is EXACTLY what happened to my black legion army

it wasn't as bad mind you as when the cat used my laptop as a litter box :mad:

not warhammer related by a horror story anyway :P

Cragspyder
19-01-2008, 12:45
Mainly, my old metal Saurus command models tend to take face-first dives off the shelf I keep them on, due to being front-heavy (I've tried to glue stuff to the back of the base but it never seems to be enough).

When we were redoing my room, my Slann took a fall from the very top of a high cupboard :) Had to do some minor conversions to make him stick together again.

However, the worst for me is my Screaming Skull Catapult. I put it together, then it broke the first game I played. Put it back together, and then broke again the second game I played, both times due to my deadly swinging elbow. Finally got a GW staffer to put the top on properly for me.

Ragsta
19-01-2008, 13:02
Hmm, well back when I was a young(er) 'un I was enthusiastically creating a mini diorama out of Epic infantry units. While trying to get some rocks to stick to the base I was working on I decided that superglue would be the way forward. Why I thought this when my loyal PVA was standing ready for action is now beyond me.

I had managed to glue myself to my desk at half 11 at night. There was no way I was waking my folks for that. I had to chisel myself off with a penknife.

I am hoping that this horrific stupidity has outgrown me now :D

Oh, and while we're on cats, my mate and his girlfriend recentl appeared on a night out sporting some really bad cuts on their arms. Yeah, it was their cat, but apparently the couple in question had made a social faux pas when trying to tickle its tummy. Now my knowledge of a cat's anatomy may not be too hot but I know where not to tickle :rolleyes:

mistformsquirrel
19-01-2008, 13:24
Mine likes tummy petters <@_@> then again mine likes being petted anywhere >.< he's really gentle; and only claws you when he's scared (which isn't too horribly often)

19-01-2008, 15:50
I do have another. my IG from 40K are in a soft lined tackel box. well we had a mega battle planned (a few years ago so no Apoc) andyways me and another guy showed up and the hobby store was still closed. so we moved our stuff under a overhang and started talking. anyways as we were talking the sun was moving and when the store worker finally showed up (a hour after closing). we went and picked up our things. well the sun had moved the shadow enough that part of my box was in the sun. two of my gun teams bases were warped. it looked like they are now surfing on a wave. or stnading on a taco.

Frep
19-01-2008, 23:06
My horror story came from my brother running up the stairs into our attack with a sleeping bag over his shoulder and turning around to answer a question my mom asked him. The back end of the sleeping bag swings around and collides with my lovingly (though poorly) painted land raider that was sitting on a shelf by the stairs. In the end it turned out all right though because I really needed to fix my hurricane bolters, whose assembly I had botched, but hadn't had the courage to pull them apart, so I suppose I can thank my brother for forcing the issue.

P.S. Sneaky Chris, you're story reminds me of exactly why chimeras have "amphibious" in their unit description.

Dwarf Runelord 45
19-01-2008, 23:21
Okay 4k skaven army......... lots of models all in a protective case. Friend says "leave them in the garage" "ok" i say. Two minutes later Friend runs over them in a Suv. Cry... Cry the horror the horror!

Sir_Lunchalot
20-01-2008, 10:05
not as bad, but still funny. I was at a local GW for 40k night with some friends. One of my friends had put his land raider (precariously) on the top shelf of the (fiddly) army/coat storage rack. I puled my army out of the shelf underneath, and his land raider slid off. now, it would have landed in the soft foam of another friend's carrying case, but because this other friend was putting minis away, the land raider bounced off of his head, hit the floor, and exploded. we only ever found about half the parts...

Latro
20-01-2008, 17:42
I heard a mysterious crashing sound coming from my hobby room ...

Upon investigating the matter I discovered that moist had slightly warped the sidepanels of my showcase cabinet thingie ... which made a shelf slip from its support ... taking down 2k points of painted and converted Army of Sylvania onto the next shelf ... taking down another 2k of half-way done Vampire Counts ... collapsing the next shelf onto 1k of unpainted Chaos Undivided.

My zombies handled the carnage best though ... not too much damage and the few missing limbs didn't bother them at all. rmour saves are highly overrated!

:skull:

(PS My tarantula Fluffy trumps all. Doesn't want to be touched or go for a walk. She go for years without food ... women and their weight issues. :p)

Binabik15
20-01-2008, 22:07
I once had a bottle of superglue about the size of a Vallejo paint pot (a bit wider) that even opened like one of those pots. It´s screw cap (right term? I used an online dictionary for that one...) was of course stuck and I tried to open it with more than moderate force...the drop counter came off with the cap and glue sprayed everywhere.

After struggeling to get out of my jeans which had a lake of glue about the size of a pancake on it, I saw smoke coming from my right sock:wtf: The glue was melting it in a chemical reaction unknown to me and burnt my foot. The plastic/polyester formed a little knot which had some importance later.

I needed 30 minutes to get my hands free from glue.

And wearing the socks some weaks later a friend of mine stepped on my foot, causing the plastic knot to cut open 3 cm of my skin:cries: The socks went into the bin after that.

badgeraddict
20-01-2008, 22:30
I've also been set fire by GW glue!

No where does it say 'WARNING ACTS LIKE NAPALM WHEN IN CONTACT WITH TROUSERS!'

zak
20-01-2008, 22:43
Didn't you read the label. It's says on mine. 'Won't stick ****, but will explode on touch with any clothing'.

My worst one was when I was just setting up. I had managed to get my Albion Giant to the battle unscathed (Yes the one will ludicrously long arms and legs) and then proceeded to drop it from about 4" on to the table. Normally this would result in one arm coming loose. Not this time. The whole bloody thing seemed to be set with explosives and not one bit remained glued together except for one leg and the base! It's almost a legend at the club.

badgeraddict
20-01-2008, 22:44
It's almost a legend at the club.

It really is! :angel:

SlaaneshSlave
21-01-2008, 00:02
Oh and daemonettes......you just touch one and an arm breaks off, i have 6 painted just 18 more to go :'(
Pin the arms.

It is an amazing pain in the ass. But once you are done, you will never regret the time spent. Trust me. I have pinned 50 of them.

SlaaneshSlave
21-01-2008, 01:06
My story is what I did to a friend's army...

We went to an Indy tournament. I got sloshed. Last game was him vs. me. We were fighting for 1st place. He won. I cursed him in public to the point I was asked to calm down by the store employees. (Did I mention is was a bit drunk?)

Then he drove me home.

Anywho... He kept his army in the generic box that everyone keeps talking about in this thread. I have a 2' x 2' foot of hardboard I use to carry my army between tables. It was on his box in the back of his SUV.

So...... In my driveway, in the dark, I take my hardboard out of the back of his SUV & hear the crash of an army hitting concrete.

Yes, I threw his army onto my driveway in the dark. Pieces of woodelves everywhere. You'd reach down, & feel something, to find you just picked up a base with no model attached.

It was horrible. I'll never stop feeling bad.

Crazy part is that he still speaks to me.

InquisitorFenix
21-01-2008, 03:21
I used to keep my 3000 point eldar army in a tackle box. While bringing it downstairs i tripped and my whole tackle box rolled down a flight of stairs. Luckily my smaller models were mostly packed in tight so i only broke the arms off of two exarchs. My avatar and two wraithlords were not so lucky, it took me several hours to reconstruct them.

InquisitorFenix
21-01-2008, 03:39
they need to invent a model glue that sticks to something, anything, better than it sticks to skin. More times than i can count i have sat there holding a model together for 5 or more minutes, only to discover that the arm has not attached to the shoulder. No, no. It has clearly been cemented to my epidermis. Far be it from me to damage a model in preventing it from becoming an extra limb of mine, no the toll of super-glue-stupidity must be paid from the flesh.

Black Antelope
23-01-2008, 07:57
Mine is a repeating horror. Ever time my little cousin comes to my house, he always breaks about 4 models. ALWAYS. And my parents refuse to let me sit in my room and guard them. Worst was when he knocked my entire 1k of WH, which I was converting etc, off the table. My cannoness has never had arms again :cries:. I think nearly every sister lost her 'pack as well, and he then stood on the plastic zealots.... And the pair of Chimera's had alot of reapiar work. both lost most of their lasguns, Hstubbers etc, and one just shatterd. Its still abit warpt. Over time, I have probably lost 10 or so gaunts beone fixing, and every genestealer has had to be reglued.

Braad
23-01-2008, 08:33
Mine is a repeating horror. Ever time my little cousin comes to my house, he always breaks about 4 models. ALWAYS. And my parents refuse to let me sit in my room and guard them.

Get some higher shelves were he can't reach to.
And why aren't you allowed to guard your models? That's crazy. I would never allow a child who doesn't know what he can or cannot touch in my room.

Lexy
23-01-2008, 08:58
Friend of mine plays quite enthoustiastic and that has cost me a keeper of secrets, some beer was spilled over the floor (that's alcohol abuse!) and other models have been known for higher movement, then their statistic.
He doesn't throw them or something, it's just that his sleeve is taking some models or he takes his unit and the metal standard falls on my figures, or he takes one of his models out and takes my banner in the proces (which of course has to fall down from about two feet above the board.

Haydog
23-01-2008, 20:32
I had almost had this memory fully forgotton but all of these stories has brought it back. I was playing a friend who must have had the industrial size 20 pound tape measure you know the kind you can drop off of a top of a house and it would probably chip the pavement. Well sure enough while taking a measurement over one of my orc units it slipped out broken arms everywhere. We named it Orc Biter and then retired it from the world of minatures.

FatOlaf
24-01-2008, 15:41
I was moving house.. I had packed all my R&F over the course of 3 days, carefully...around 15K worth.. On the last night, drunk at 3am, I decide to pack my really delicate stuff, Slann, Zombie Dragon, Ushabti etc... I sit down and wrap each model in bubble warp, cram them into a shoe box and then procede to drop them down my stairs going to bed... Whole lot smashed into bits, arms broken where they are not meant to be broken, that sort of thing...
Luckily got new tool kit for Xmas and spent few days learning the art of pinning..

My friend at my last job, had been collecting for over 20 years, he had case upon case of them in his office. Well few years back, his house caught fire, his new plasma tv had overheated while they were all asleep.. Luckily he got out with his family, all okay. But they had lost everything... Few days later when he was allowed back in, he saw this giant puddle of lead and plastic where his 30K worth of minis had been. Even though he got mad insurance for them (and everything esle) he could not bring himself to go through all that painting again, so quit the hobby for good...

logan054
24-01-2008, 15:46
I remember a manager of the colchester store ended up with losing most of his models all over the A14, he was lucky and GW gave him new armies atleast, still hope that dosnt happen with my move :(

Chadjabdoul
24-01-2008, 16:49
Few days later when he was allowed back in, he saw this giant puddle of lead and plastic where his 30K worth of minis had been.

That story claims top prize. At least now he is free...

Roguebaron
24-01-2008, 16:57
I entered the warhammer single figure at the golden demon in canada. I also was a volunteer for GW that day. I went to check on the results after the top ten were posted, and my figure was missing. I asked where it was, and was handed a pile of bits. Aparently the judges dropped it on the concrete floor, broke off the arms, and chipped the paint badly. 50hrs of painting gone. he's since been repaired, but it's just not the same. all they said was sorry, and walked away. Considering i was volunteering as a master class painter for them, i though they could have at least told me when it had happened. At days end, i was chatting with a fellow who manages the store, and his comment was, "oh, who was it _______ because so and so will drop them if he thinks they'll beat his friends." very disheartening,but since i don't know the person, i'll leave out his name. A rough day overall. Since then i've found it very difficult to put all my effort into the demons, though i have won two since then. I'm just much more paranoid.

Jack of Blades
24-01-2008, 17:15
^ I'd give him a good beating. A good, good, beating.
Some of these (all right, most if not all) stories are quite shocking, I wish it doesn't happen to my planned home-sculpted vampire lord project... I'll make sure to not have any of my arms a metre from him at any time, and I'll never let anyone touch him, nor will I bring him somewhere unless his protection is virtually guaranteed.

Kaihlik
24-01-2008, 18:45
When I was younger and before I learnt about pinning I put together the Deciever for a friend of my brother. It took me about 9 hours and we stayed overnight at his house as it dried. Next morning we primed it and put it on a chair to dry where his cat jumped up and knocked it over breaking it again, not happy.

Another time a story of stupidity. I had finally fixed my Hydra for my DE and had played a game at my house. When I went to pack my army away I put my case on the table and opened it so the lid was at 90 degrees to the table. What I didn't notice was that my hydra was on the other side of the case. The inevitable happened and the lid came crashing down right on top of the Hydra. All of the heads came off. I was gutted.

floyd pinkerton
24-01-2008, 19:35
I remember one time when I superglued myself to a rabbit:D

hmm, another one that sticks out is when i slipped with a pin vice, and put the entire drill bit into my thumb, where it promptly snapped off. god that killed.

badgeraddict
24-01-2008, 20:02
I remember one time when I superglued myself to a rabbit:D

A Rabbit!:wtf:

Dare I ask how that came to pass?

floyd pinkerton
24-01-2008, 20:53
well, i didnt notice i had a large glob of superglue on the back of my hand (somehow:P...)

i picked it up, and found i couldn't put it down!

poor bunny was bald for a moth on its back:D

badgeraddict
24-01-2008, 21:01
*giggles*

Seriously...I should inform the RSPCA of your rabbit abuse!

*giggles some more*

FurryMiguell
24-01-2008, 21:45
My newly painted WC army... 400 zombies, 200 skellies, 45 grave guard, 58 black knights (converted from empire knights. took days), 4 converted vampires, loads of converted "flying zombies" (fell bats), and 3 bases of bats, and half my lizard men army... (300-400 figs)

All crushed under the weight of my GF... shes not that heavy, but shes a person, and my miniatures are plastic! 3 months of intese work!!! "she sooo worth it" I keep telling myself, but sometimes i find myself in doubt... might not be the smartest thing to place them all in a box on the sofa, but god damn! how can you NOT notice over 1k of miniatures!? that was one of the worst days of my life... Well, guess thats the price of love.

Cheers:D

AllTheWayUlthwe
24-01-2008, 23:15
I literally live a mile from my local gaming store. Surely my army is OK to ride in my back seat? RIGHT? NOPE! I had to break when a car puled out in front of me. My entire Tomb Kings army flew off the back seat and landed on it's side in my travel case. I had all of the plastics survive, but all the metal pieces disintigrated. Well, I had fun repainting 40 tomb guard and 2 bone giants and catapults, etc.

Lesson learned, the models always go in the trunk where they can not move around.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
25-01-2008, 00:40
My witch king on fell beast hit the floor the one day I wanted to play with it outside of my own house. I was very sad.:( He is fixed now! My friend is so bad with his models. he stores them in cardboard boxes when he has the travel case. Almost all of them get destroyed. Sucks to be him! The table is in my basement so my models seldomly get damaged:)

Dragon Prince of Caledor
25-01-2008, 00:41
My other friend had a fight with his brother so his brother decided to throw his painted balrog against the wall..hehe that is evil..

Tualarc
25-01-2008, 06:07
Days after my father and I moved all my things into our newly finished basement, and my new diggs, a sewage overflow damaged a good three quarters of all the warhammer I had. I lost at least two dozen codexes,not to mention the models and large VHS collection, because someone in the family decided to use Kleenex as tp instead of just grabbing another roll :wtf:

Another one, which I wasn't lucky enough to be present for. Friends were having a paintathon one day and someones younger brother decided that his treeman wasn't drying fast enough. A minute in the microwave, and a handful of sparks/flame/molten lead, and he was asked politely to never return to the home.

Lexy
25-01-2008, 08:51
Another one, which I wasn't lucky enough to be present for. Friends were having a paintathon one day and someones younger brother decided that his treeman wasn't drying fast enough. A minute in the microwave, and a handful of sparks/flame/molten lead, and he was asked politely to never return to the home.

That was dumb of the microwave producer.
They should have stated, that you can't dry painted miniaturs in the microwave:wtf:

RevEv
25-01-2008, 09:18
I've had two major horrors - one product related, the other animal.

On the product side I had just finished some plastic Saurus for my wife - based beautifully, highlighted, eyes and all. I take the new can of GW varnish, shake rigourously, and spray a white mist over the models. Turns out to be a faulty batch that dries opaque. I, obviously, complain to GW who are concerned, send me vouchers and another box of Saurus... and I keep the models that look slightly aged so are played as old ones.

On the animal side - I have not always been able to use the dining room table as my painting table, so I used a card table instead. I would be able to leave models out to dry during the day so I could come back to them later. Sadly I also had a puppy - that took to taking my models and chewing them. I lost two eldar and a praetorian captain. The eldar were ruined beyond repair, the captain became a casualty figure. The dog... he's grown out of figure mutilation fortunately.

Satan
25-01-2008, 09:49
In regards to earlier posts about vengeful girlfriends: Any prospectives (not that there's been many the last year) would have to accept the fact that my models come before them (at least initially), since they've bee around in my life far, far longer. If I'd seen my stuff come flying from the balcony - I'd be running as hell back up the stairs, and it sure wouldn't be my relationship I'd be trying to save. Same thing if anyone ever tried to hurt me via my models/complain/forbid me, I'd leave (fortunately I'm not the type who spends 7 days/week with my models, but still).

My story's nowhere near as bad, but... I was painting this enginseer for display. Check out my log in the sig. It was alot better than the TT-quality stuff I've got in there. I'd been working on it on and off for a looooong time. So one day I just happen to drop it on the floor. Backpack goes off, paint chips horribly, horribly. I'm a real slow painter too.
I just flipped and threw the damn figure into the brake fluid, stripped it and sold it. I can't describe with words how mad I was.

FurryMiguell
25-01-2008, 11:59
why would you go crazy of droping ONE miniature to the floor? that most likely happned to anyone having painted for a few years... im a slow painter too. over 1k of miniatures destroyed!!! not fun... and im still dating her, can you belive it!?

Cheers:D (feel real sorry for you all)

Murdoch
25-01-2008, 12:16
My winged Hive tyrant (bob) is fond of two things:

1) Lascannons

2) Dust

You can tell this as all he attracts are lascannons and every (yes every) time my wife dusts near him he jumps off of whatever shelf he happens to be lurking on in disgust at his friends being harmed. Wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't happened a dozen times. Poor fella has been touched up more times than a.... I won't finish that...

T10
25-01-2008, 14:52
I accidently tipped my Giant over and the barrel broke off.

-T10

Goruax
25-01-2008, 15:02
Couple of years ago, I was painting some Space Marines.
I decided to aid it's drying by putting a little heater on full blast and setting the model about 6 inches from the vent.

When I got back, it was somewhat distorted....
I went to grab it out from there and burnt myself on the heavy bolter :angel:

Yeah, not my most clever idea ever.

GGM007
25-01-2008, 15:26
Years ago I had a big game with my woodies Vs my mates orcs including his new, lovingly painted maruader wyvern with rider, half way through the game I walked back into the room and soundly kicked it. like right across the room, the wings folded round it so as it rolled it kind of formed a sphere......He stares at me aghast and I say 'dont worry It'll bend back ok' (models were mainly lead then and so much more flexible).
SNAP
Ok I'll just leave it then.....

Caboose123
25-01-2008, 15:58
Yeah, not my most clever idea ever.

I hope thats an understatement, the sad thing is that i had a huge debate over the fantasy forum with you, which got nowhere, slowly, and yet you do things like.... this

This example, and the "younger brother Vs Microwave" incidents prove that, you should wait for the paints to dry, citadel paints in particular dry very quickly so things like this just shouldnt happen...