PDA

View Full Version : what is the best unit in the game for you??

Da Black Gobbo
17-01-2008, 19:28
I thought this question will be fun, when i say the best one i don't mean the one you like i mean what unit do you think is better for it's combat hability, versatility, good conjunction between point price-efectiveness...

thanks and let's see what happens (mwahahahaha)

Shadowphrakt
17-01-2008, 19:31
Honestly, i think that the average marine tactical squad is well balanced. can be good in combat, it's versatile and for all the abilities, really well priced.

Madfool2
17-01-2008, 19:33
Chaos space marines.

They have all the tools, and I mean all of them, knives, guns, plumbing equipment to stuff each other into the rhino.

Scharnhorst
17-01-2008, 20:01
Seraphim, Amazing units when used with faith.

IceWind
17-01-2008, 20:03
I have a firm believe in Ig, so I'd say Deep Striking Veterans (with plasmas, of course) :D

Blue Orphen
17-01-2008, 20:09
Drop podding Tac Squad (10 man with Cleanse and Purify, of course).

Or everyone's favorite flying coffin, the Vyper. I always find room for a few of them in my Eldar lists.

Qualdinesh
17-01-2008, 20:11
love my guardian defender squads! :)

Baltar
17-01-2008, 20:13
I am a really big fan of the humble Leman Russ Battle Tank.

Sideros Peltarion
17-01-2008, 20:13
Without doubt a normal Chaos Space Marine squad. My squads of 10 with plas/hb and champ with power sword have never let me down in the 2/3 years I have been using them.

Chaplain Mortez
17-01-2008, 20:15
What has 4 attacks on the charge at strength 5, while armed with a choppa? That's also fearless and dirt-cheap in points? Why, the Feral Ork Madboy, of course!

Shame they aren't in the new book.

redyellowpinkgreen
17-01-2008, 20:16
Death company, cost effective (as you can get some for free) and uber killy

Reinnon
17-01-2008, 20:19
strictly speaking you pay for the "free" death company through more expensive marine squads :)

The best unit, depends on the situation - for all round goodness it will have to be obliterators. They were nerfed but they still are perhaps the most reliable unit in the chaos book.

IncrediSteve
17-01-2008, 20:19
I'm going to have to say that, as of now, the Warlord Battle Titan is the best unit it the game :p

[Also cheap as your only real option is to scratch build]

Iceheart2112
17-01-2008, 20:21
8-man Fire Warrior squad with Pulse Rifles in a Devilfish, loaded out with a Smart Missile System, Multi-Tracker, Targetting Array, and Decoy Launchers. Its a beast.

sly_dog
17-01-2008, 20:23
Honestly, the Repentia. They do surprisingly well despite their fragility.

And my 8 man (woman?) Retributor squad with VSS with Combi-plasma. With them though, it honestly is up to how much of a threat my opponent thinks they are. I've had games where they got shot to bits by every AP 3 weapon my opponent could throw at me, and others where they're ignored almost entirely.

Baltar
17-01-2008, 20:24
I feel like an Imperator Titan would probably be the best unit possible in the game, but god only knows what that thing's stats would be.

Triggerdog
17-01-2008, 20:26
I'd tactical marines or Land Raiders

smokingmonkee
17-01-2008, 20:49
My Shoota Boyz.

Captin Korea!
17-01-2008, 21:12
A DP with the lash of course!

Hashmal
17-01-2008, 21:16
My shadow-fielded, Agoniser-induced, hopped-up-on-goofballs, Hell-mask wearing, grenade chucking Archon with his 9 Incubi strong Sunshine Gang mounted in a Raider with Trophy Racks flying straight out of the webway like a nun fleeing a harem.

Though a good argument is raised for the Obliterators... hrm...

sukigod
17-01-2008, 21:36
Stormboyz! Fast and chopyy choppy! Move on to the next squad....

Atomic Rooster
17-01-2008, 22:05
SM Tac squads. Survivable & Flexible.

xibo
17-01-2008, 23:10
I like my guardsmen squads a lot. When it comes to game effectiveness I think Marines/Necrons take it all.

8-man Fire Warrior squad with Pulse Rifles in a Devilfish, loaded out with a Smart Missile System, Multi-Tracker, Targetting Array, and Decoy Launchers. Its a beast.
Eight??? Why not 12?

BigWeirdCreature
17-01-2008, 23:13
A lovely Dakka Fex it kills things good.

Bunny Lord
17-01-2008, 23:20
death company have never regreted buying all 10. always JP's and chappy lemartes name 1 infantry unit that it cant beat

Captain Micha
17-01-2008, 23:27
Eldar Falcon, loaded with holofield and spiritstones. GG everyone. (does it honestly matter what you load it with weapon wise? ) It's cheap cheap cheap cheap, in both point cost, utility, and powerwise. (don't dare say it costs alot of points. it costs -medium- points and can be cheaper than an average russ if you load it's weapons right... My falcofield comes in at 165 with shuricannons... )

Which unit do I actually like the best though? If I was a rich man, Necron Pariah. They just look awesome and pure win to me. (even if they suck more than a vacuum cleaner)

Edzard
17-01-2008, 23:32
10 Necron Warriors. :)

Shooty & tough :)

From Shadows
17-01-2008, 23:34
Dark Eldar Wyches,just plain old nasty.......

Captain Micha
17-01-2008, 23:40
10 Necron Warriors. :)

Shooty & tough :)

Why not 10 plague marines then? *L*

Mott
17-01-2008, 23:42
IG Conscript squad with commissar. Though with the new ork price drop they arent quite so great.

infernus31
18-01-2008, 00:06
Hive Tyrant, so customizable and unlike the slow carnifex it can have wings. and intiaite a slightly modified tau policy, jump shoot smash :D

northoceanbeach
18-01-2008, 00:10
Eldrad. Who else can mind war off a necron res orb while dooming the immortals next door and guiding a squad of reapers.

killa kan kaus
18-01-2008, 00:11
Crisis suit with fireknife layout for me is the best although it can be considered cheesy

Earthbeard
18-01-2008, 00:13
Plague Marines, love the little bloated swines.

Captain Micha
18-01-2008, 00:14
why because unlike the rest of the tau list it can actually lay down firepower? anyone that thinks crisis tau is cheesy can't play or does not realize the rest of the army lacks in firepower. (sorry bolters and heavy weapons +special weapons is > pulse weapons. especially at bs 4)

There are only a few cheesed units in 40k hehe, and tau do have one but it is not a crisis suit... (it's something in the heavy support section and it's not a vehicle...)

Vermiculatus
18-01-2008, 00:27
its totally sniper drones isnt it

northoceanbeach
18-01-2008, 00:28
Is that kroot hippo with the gun a heavy?

MuttMan
18-01-2008, 00:35
Chaos space marine. Any marine.

If I knew krak grenades were this useful, I would have bought them in 3rd edition. Bolter squads out of rhinos have a substantial punch, and a lucky krak can render a dreadnought as fierce as a kitten when its DCCW is blown off.

Frag grenades, I had so much fun charging a unit of harlequins in cover, and after a short debate, I struck the same time he did which was a first for me.

Having a bolter, CCW and Pistol on a guy is fun, since I dont have to wish I had a bolter unit instead of a CC unit when facing a horde of genestealers, then vice versa when facing guardsmen up close.

The basic CSM units, any of them.. They rock too hard to have competition for the same price.

Captain Micha
18-01-2008, 01:05
its totally sniper drones isnt it

And here I thought my sarcasm knew no bounds :D:p

Is that kroot hippo with the gun a heavy?

no, it's a troop choice.

Lantern
18-01-2008, 01:09
Genestealers :D

Bunnahabhain
18-01-2008, 01:59
Well, one could argue that a Guard platoon is a single unit, as it only takes up one FOC slot, etc, etc.

At that point, the potential for 55+ men, with 9 special and 5 heavy weapons, all with 4+ saves, and other goodies, in 6 light tanks would make them probably the best codex unit in the game, which at somewhere in the region of 1500pts, they should be...

In terms of points efficiency, it's those wonderfully underpriced tactical marines. They're good enough at everything,a nd so flexible.

Captain Micha
18-01-2008, 02:15
5+ unless you are taking Carapace armor doctrine. also the tanks are overpriced.

AngryAngel
18-01-2008, 02:16
Dark Angels tactical squad, combat squad ability. Can take a razorback even at 10 strong, and comes with grenades and pistols free. Yeah they don't have an aditional close combat weapon, but we leave that for the more cowardly chaos. A real man just gun slings in battle.

Yamo
18-01-2008, 03:15
IG platoon. They're my bread and butter :)

Stella Cadente
18-01-2008, 03:25
Imperial Guard tanks of ANY kind (except the useless basilisk) are the best unit EVER in the game for me, well priced for there power, and utterly devastating

Kinsley
18-01-2008, 03:30
My Imperial Heavy Mortars! The infernus rounds them selves specificly.

max the dog
18-01-2008, 03:50
Winged dakkatyrant. 12 shots of re-rolling goodness in a tough and fast package.

Hive Mind Iceman
18-01-2008, 03:52
Even though I am a Tyranid/Eldar/Chaos player, I think the person who said DA marines (tac squads) are the best has hit it right on the head. A ten squad of men that come standard with Power Armour, can have one special weapon (Plasma gun), one heavy weapon (Plasma Cannon), a Veteran Seargent with a power weapon or fist and then can split up into 2 5man combat squads (one to hoon around with the seargent and hit stuff in HtH with a power weapon of some sort and the other to stand still and blast the crap out of stuff is just mean.
Ans just to cap things off, they can infiltrate if they are willing to pay the extra points to do so.

But If I had to choose a single unit as my fav out of my armies, it definitely would be kitted out genestealers. I have yet to meat someone who doesn't like them.:D

Stella Cadente
18-01-2008, 04:03
But If I had to choose a single unit as my fav out of my armies, it definitely would be kitted out genestealers. I have yet to meat someone who doesn't like them.:D
except the enemy:D

dneff23
18-01-2008, 04:17
Lootas...who says Orks can't shoot :D

AngryAngel
18-01-2008, 04:24
While I love your support Hive Mind Iceman, the DA marines can't infiltrate. Though I do appreciate your support.

Chaplain of Chaos
18-01-2008, 04:45
Tooled up Word Bearers Dark Apostle, with Demagogue and Accursed Crozius.

Spreading the faith around. (cursed new codex...)

chaotic
18-01-2008, 04:52
for me: obliterators

starlight
18-01-2008, 04:53
For the points? Dark Angel Tactical Squads for the reasons mentioned above.

For the fun? Stormboyz for swoopy smashy fun.:evilgrin:

For effectiveness? IG Platoon for being an army unto themselves.

Vaz84
18-01-2008, 04:54
chaos terms with LC's, mok, and combi weapon backup from less choppy battle brothers

Pooky
18-01-2008, 04:57
I'm shocked no one has said this before me...

LAND SPEEDER TORNADOS FTW!

dagoosefather
18-01-2008, 05:45
i have to go with nid warriors. 6 man unit with death spitters stuck in a building. man that hurts

Iceheart2112
18-01-2008, 07:43
IEight??? Why not 12?

Because I don't run a 12 man Fire Warrior squad. I realize it would be better than the 8, but I'm usually playing with 1000 pts, and I can't fit 2 12 man squads in there. With what the OP was asking, this is the best unit that I actually run on a regular basis.

And yeah, for cheesy tau, a full 12 man squad with pulse rifles, with a tooled up warfish, with markerlight support will kill anything. The pulse rifles bow to *no* weapon!

Griffin
18-01-2008, 07:45
Chaos marines with plasma gun, Heavy bolters and Power Weapon. Thy can take any infantry in CC and Range.

Dantès
18-01-2008, 08:06
For straight up kill potential for low points value, I dont think you can get any better than Rough Riders. 11 points with lances, cavalry, option to get carapace...pure mass-murdering unit.

Other than that, Ill throw a vote in for the IG platoon. For around 500 points, you have the same firepower that a 1000 point marine army can have. 6 Heavy weapons, as much plasma as the heart desires, and for a bit extra you have a commissar to make them all LD 9...

Natura
18-01-2008, 08:21
Flash Gitz. I just love them too much.

inquisitor solarris
18-01-2008, 08:36
I would have to go with Deathwing, fearless, mix weaponry and deathwing assault.
Fits in for a all purpose team

blackroyal
18-01-2008, 08:44
Genestealers... you had better shoot them all, or its over.

Major King
18-01-2008, 08:51
Flash gitz all da way!

Wolflord Havoc
18-01-2008, 08:51
Come on now a totally tooled up, maxed out unit of Wolf Guard with all the trimmings......on bikes led by a Wolf Lord...also totally tooled up.....wins.

Add enemy, some dice, a gaming board, simmer for several hours and serve whilst roaring a blood curdling, tournament stopping wolf howl.

northoceanbeach
19-01-2008, 05:20
Even though I am a Tyranid/Eldar/Chaos player, I think the person who said DA marines (tac squads) are the best has hit it right on the head. A ten squad of men that come standard with Power Armour, can have one special weapon (Plasma gun), one heavy weapon (Plasma Cannon), a Veteran Seargent with a power weapon or fist and then can split up into 2 5man combat squads (one to hoon around with the seargent and hit stuff in HtH with a power weapon of some sort and the other to stand still and blast the crap out of stuff is just mean.
Ans just to cap things off, they can infiltrate if they are willing to pay the extra points to do so.

This was the funniest thing I've read in a while. What's you 5 man squad with the overpriced power fist going to go around smacking? There are about a billion units that are so much better at close combat in this game. Seriously, if you are so in love with this squad, isn't it better to take them in 5 man squads from the Marine codex? You get cheaper weapons that way.

Blackmoor
19-01-2008, 06:02
Dark Reapers.

They are my MVPs 80% of the time.

Keemperor
19-01-2008, 06:04
The best unit in the game for me have to be the Crisis suits.

Deep strike, two missile pods, two plasma rifles and twin linked plasma rifles all with either targetting array (if u want to increase shooting accuracy) or shield generators (if u want them to survive). If the enemy is very unlucky there are very few thing that will survive this kind of onslaught, not to mention excellent tank hunters.

Or just for the heck of it and cause I like them the Tau Gun Drones, at BS2 no one takes them seriously, but deep strike them and markerlight their targets and I dont see a lot of squadrons being able to fight back. Plus they are so annoying no one takes them seriously until they start tying up units and killing troops

A13X
19-01-2008, 06:39
tH3 B4n3Bl4D3 !!!111

The baneblade ppl, seriously - get some...

Though In regular 40k I like my DE warriors fine, especially with a splinter cannon (Assualt 2 :)) and a raider for some speed and objective grabbing.

Cool thread BTW.

squeekenator
19-01-2008, 07:10
5 Chaos Terminators with Icon of Slaanesh, each with two lightning claws. Last game they chewed through 34 gaunts, 3 warriors and a carnifex, a total of around 600pts in a 1500pt game. They are ownage in a 2+ save.

Sekhmet
19-01-2008, 08:10
The Deceiver. Fluff and effectiveness.

NerdyOgre254
19-01-2008, 11:50
Repentia get my vote, if only for the fact that i've seen them do some impressive things.
One squad of maxed out repentia took down: (keep in mind this was the previous codex for Nids)
2 Hive Tyrants
1 Carnifex
10 Tyranid Warriors

Of course, when you consider that everything else in the army failed miserable and got eaten like ice cream then it kind of balances out.

Cirenivel
19-01-2008, 12:12
I can't really think of anything other than a 10 man chaos marine squad with a flamer, melta/plasma and a champion with power fist/weapon in a rhino.

That squad has won many a game for me.

Cirenivel

burning crome
19-01-2008, 12:25
This is a bit of an unusual one, but my favourite unit in the current army the humble five man scout squad with bolter and ML. I’ve got two if these 65pt little stinger and they never fail to make there point back and generally annoying the hell out of my opponent. By taking out expensive tanks and transport on their side/rear armour, IC killing, RF squads just before they get charged swinging the odds for the charging unit, and their party trick of contesting table quarter. The tick is to Infiltrate them into cover some ware nasty and then let your opposite forget about them!!

Kettu
19-01-2008, 12:54
My standard sister squad with 2 flamers and a vet sister wth plasma pistol and ccw in rhino with extra storm bolter and laud hailers has been probably my best squad so far.
Normally in shooting range on turn two and has brought down many things double (or more) their size and/or points cost.

They also tend to get shreaded before the end of the game aswell.

Although nothing has ever beaten my Repentia who managed to charge and kill a fully upgraded Landraider and the five Termies inside in two turns without a single loss on their behalf.

However that is almost their only use I have ever gotten from them an so I don't even bother with them anymore.