PDA

View Full Version : Choosing your forces

scratchbuilt
17-01-2008, 22:36
I'm coming round to the thought that games where you can't choose your army are more fun to play. I'm thinking of space hulk specifically. I mean, choosing your army yes, but picking the units no. Obv some degree of choice isn't a bad thing, but I think at the moment the game is like mtg. I like mtg, but it doesn't work for board games which don't issue new cards while taking older ones out of circulation,every 4 months or so, but instead stays with a stagnant selection.

Gaebriel
17-01-2008, 22:59
I have made good experiences with wargames where forces are fixed. People are more likely to choose by what they like, not by a "boom" factor, and the competitive aspect is stepping back in favour of a simulative or narrative approach. (Talking of fixed historical games here.)

Of course that isn't anyone's thing...

scratchbuilt
18-01-2008, 11:57
The prob with competition is that it shouldn't be too easy. That is to say, you should have to play well. With good troop seclection it is easy to win - at which point winning is basically just about putting aside your fluff and model considerations, and some simple maths.