PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live with Vista

giner
18-01-2008, 16:54
I am trying to get onto Xbox Live by plugging my 360 into my PC but it fails at the IP test. I kno there is a solution on the Xbox site but that doesn't tell me how to do it with Vista.

RavenMorpheus
19-01-2008, 10:40
I am trying to get onto Xbox Live by plugging my 360 into my PC but it fails at the IP test. I kno there is a solution on the Xbox site but that doesn't tell me how to do it with Vista.

Try this - it's the same as XP but with a couple of names changed to fit Vista ;)

I've done this and I know it works because I can access Live via my T-Mobile/Vodafone HSDPA USB dongle modems :)

Assuming your using an ethernet cable:

1. On your PC, click Start, then click Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Sharing Center, then click Manage Network Connections.
3. Double-click Local Area Connection
4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IP) and click Properties.
5. On the General tab, write down the settings you see. (This is important so you can put everything back! Assuming there is anything there in the first place)
6. Select Use the following IP address.
7. Enter the following information.

IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Leave Default gateway blank. Leave the DNS servers blank.
8. Click OK.

You've just assigned a manual IP address to your PC. Now for your Xbox 360 console.

1. Connect your PC and your Xbox 360 console using an Ethernet cable. You do not need a crossover cable, though it will also work.
2. On your console, on the System blade, select Network Settings.
3. Select Edit Settings and write down the information under IP Settings (again, so you can go back if you need to).
4. Select IP Settings, then select Manual.
5. Enter the following information.

IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (this is the same IP address you assigned to your computer.)
6. Select Done. Select Test Media and let it test. It will fail on the Computer test, but it should pass the Network Adapter and IP Address tests. (It won't pass Computer until you establish your computer connection.)
7. Back out to the Xbox Dashboard, go to the Media blade, and set up your media connection. If necessary, you can use that file you downloaded earlier from Xbox.com. For full info about setting up PC media, try my Windows Media Connect and Windows Media Center articles. There's also lots of info on Xbox.com.

You may have to assign DNS servers on the PC LAN connection, see the bit above where it says "Leave the DNS servers blank" but put in the info which can be found by running cmd from the start menu and typing in ipconfig /all and it should show what DNS settings your net router is using, look for the bit where it says DNS servers ;).

*Make sure though that your 360 has it's DNS setting set to Automatic*

Hope that helps :)

giner
20-01-2008, 08:40
Thanks for the help, but is there any way I can do this without changing the IP of my computer.

RavenMorpheus
20-01-2008, 12:28
If the LAN connection on the computer already has an IP set then use that as the default gateway on the 360, just replace the values I gave in the text with the IP values that have already been set on the computer. Just put them into the relevant part on the 360 (default gateway) and you won't have to change the IP on the computer.

If there is no IP set then it's not a problem just use the ones I gave.

Forgot to mention one other thing in the instructions - you need to right click on the connection that your internet router/modem is on select properties and then go to the sharing tab and click on the "Allow other network users..." option and select the LAN option from the drop down box. This will enable the 360 to connect to the web via your internet connection using your PC as the gateway.

As I use a USB modem that plugs straight into my PC I can only tell you that it works for that, if your using a router and you've got it plugged into the LAN port as well I can't really say how you go about getting the 360 onto the net, but if your using a wireless connection then following the paragraph above to set the sharing and it should work the same.

The instructions I gave only connect the 360 to a PC - setting the internet connection sharing (ICS) is the next step but once the IP address test has been passed on the 360's tests it shouldn't be too much of a problem, apart from maybe having to set manual DNS server adresses on the 360/computer which can be found using the ipconfig /all command in the command prompt.

And microsoft tell you it's all so easy... :D ;)