PDA

View Full Version : Just one style of game

scratchbuilt
18-01-2008, 18:12
Which style of game is your favourite; first person shooter, rpg, devil may cry type, platformer etc.
Just one! Otherwise everyone's answers will just be meandering ramble

2D shooter.
My favourite.

Random comment; games are much shorter nowadays.

the_reaper
18-01-2008, 18:35
I have to say shooters in general (fps/over the shoulder) but only really the fairly tactical ones (gears/cod4). Halo 3 is ok, but anyone can get good at it and you dont really need any form of tactics, maybe when playing CTF etc.

Random comment reply; it is much harder to make games nowadays, especially in HD as they have to make several layers on anything they put in and companies are trying to focus on getting something that sets them apart from other games.

-reaper

harlequin21
18-01-2008, 18:39
I'd be more of an FPS player myself, i do like the tactical ones the best e.g Rainbow 6 Vegas (cant wait for the new one)

warboss48
18-01-2008, 19:15
I like FPS's of all kinds, mainly because I'm pretty good at them. If I do say so myself.

starlight
18-01-2008, 19:18
Whatever you call Deus Ex is my favourite. :)

Venomizer
18-01-2008, 19:48
If I had to pick an out & out favourite it would be Racing Games..........

easy to get into with a mix of absorbing you for may hours on end (Gran Turismo & Forza being the main examples) and providing outlets for bursts of mindless fun & insanity (Burnout being the main example)

Dirty Fingers
18-01-2008, 21:00
Anything sandbox. more a style than a genre, i suppose.

nurgle_boy
18-01-2008, 21:22
Mainly RPG, but as above, I also appreciate sandbox.
RPG because I like it, and Sandbox for the freedom i guess...

Outlaw289
18-01-2008, 21:29
FPS games are probably my favorite. They're always to-the-point, fun, and intense. Though I have to say, the RTS has a special place in my gaming heart, and I've definitely played RTS games for more hours than any other genre. I guess I picked FPS because I'm better at those than I am at RTS

Lardidar
18-01-2008, 21:38
Dumb question of the day ... what is sandbox?

Before I got my 360 MMO's were my fave but since then I have got into a few shooters (CoD4, RS:V)

I am also a fan of fighting/wrestling games but only for a birst of mindless fun.

Oh and Football Manager.

scratchbuilt
18-01-2008, 23:02
Thread Nazi says: Just one!!!:mad:1!! ;)

I assume Sandbox is GTA?

Specifically R-Type is my favorite game. Most of the sequels are good too.

Cade
18-01-2008, 23:27
RTS

Dawn of War
Starcraft
Cossacks

der_lex
18-01-2008, 23:34
RPG's, I guess, although adventure games a la Zelda come close.

I'm probably one of the few people in the world who doesn't like 'sandbox' games...I feel that, although you have complete freedom in what you do, the amount of activities you can pick from are still too limited to make it interesting. I'd rather have a more linear game with a better storyline any day.

deathskullork
18-01-2008, 23:46
I love fighting games but nice fluid ones like tekken and soul caliber. Im also a fan of snadbox type games, I cant wait for spore :).

Hicks
19-01-2008, 01:35
Fighting games all the way, I have a soft spot for 2D :).

Vodevil
19-01-2008, 01:49
I don't really have a type... However these days the only games I really play are MGS and Devil May Cry, so there you go.

The UnNamed One
19-01-2008, 03:09
For me its a toss up between FPS's, and RPG's

DraXaus
19-01-2008, 04:22
Racing games, and it all started with F1 on the Atari.

bluey
19-01-2008, 06:38
not really a genre but.....

legend of zelda!

im also obsessed with racing sims eg forza and granturismo

Asi the Red
19-01-2008, 07:14
I enjoy FPSs, RPGs, and RTSs...

But my favorite type of game is 2D Fighters, Capcom mostly.
Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 (Jin + anyone)
Any Guilty Gear (Johnny)
X-Men vs Street Fighter (any character)
Bloody Roar (the only 3D Figher I'm good at, only with Shen Long though)

Dengar
19-01-2008, 07:24
Fps like Cod4 or sandbox games like mercenaries

LexxBomb
19-01-2008, 08:11
the classic Adventure Game. go vintage Sierra and Lucas Arts

skott4991
19-01-2008, 09:37
I enjoy anything 3rd person, from gears to dynasty warriors.

Dodgy Ed
19-01-2008, 09:58
Hmm picking just one genre is too damn hard, guess it would either be turn based strategy (Civ is still one of the best series out there) or RPG, be it first person or 3rd person (loving S.T.A.L.K.E.R atm, thinking about downloading a sandbox mod for it)

Grazzy
23-01-2008, 17:45
FPS shoot'em'ups for me. Halo 3 is a personal favourite - nothing is as good for stopping stress as smacking people with gravity hammers.

RavenMorpheus
23-01-2008, 19:13
Which style of game is your favourite; first person shooter, rpg, devil may cry type, platformer etc.
Just one! Otherwise everyone's answers will just be meandering ramble

2D shooter.
My favourite.

Random comment; games are much shorter nowadays.

Historical FPS's - Call of Duty/MOH etc.

Random comment: games are shorter and more expensive today. I remember buying games that came on a tape and lasted months but only cost 5...

Bloodknight
23-01-2008, 19:33
I feel so old when I say Turn Based Strategy (Warlords, Fallout tactics, Chaos Gate) and Isometric View RPGs like Baldur's Gate and the Fallout series.
I also liked Deus Ex (it's more of an RPG after all) and I am eagerly awaiting the new one.
As far as first person games go, I had a bit of fun with Manhunt. Don't care about the genre much, though. I am more of a dollie shover even on the PC.

The Guy
23-01-2008, 21:11
FPS. Some of my favourite games are FPS
Red faction
Area 51
Call of duty 2 big red one
Oblivion [FPS sandbox ;) very rare]

theunwantedbeing
23-01-2008, 21:40
Random comment: games are shorter and more expensive today. I remember buying games that came on a tape and lasted months but only cost 5...

Yes....I very much dislike the way that games these days are just graphical showoffs that last a couple of hours.

FPS probably, that or racing games....

Count Zero
23-01-2008, 21:41
stealth em ups like thief and hitman etc, i guess system shock 2 as well in that field.

cpl_hicks
23-01-2008, 22:08
Damn you for only letting my pick one, cause i like all games ALL I TELL YOU :d

Would have to go for RPG's though.

I really must get myself a copy of the Fallout collection

LexxBomb
23-01-2008, 22:17
Damn you for only letting my pick one, cause i like all games ALL I TELL YOU :d

Would have to go for RPG's though.

I really must get myself a copy of the Fallout collection

dont forget that it shouldn't be too long before fallout 3 is released by Bethseda

Cirrus the Blue
24-01-2008, 00:26
Whatever you call Deus Ex is my favourite. :)

I'd call that one an Action RPG I think. :D Diablo, Zelda, Okami, etc. fall into those categories apparently. As for myself, I'm all for the RPGs. I love the stories and artwork in them! I don't even care that they're linear in the story respect, I buy those for the rich atmosphere and storytelling aspects. :)

- Cirrus

Icarus
24-01-2008, 00:42
MMOs are my favourite, although FPS comes in a close second. RTS as third :)

Steel_Legion
24-01-2008, 01:10
I disregard your "only one!" RTS and FPS for t3h win! if only they made a good hybrid... :D

Icarus
24-01-2008, 01:27
I disregard your "only one!" RTS and FPS for t3h win! if only they made a good hybrid... :D

Savage? And maybe Savage 2 ( havent played it yet)?

der_lex
24-01-2008, 02:01

Don't forget that they lasted months mostly because those cassettes took ages to load (and often failed right at then end anyway). Oh, how often I've yelled at the cassette player on my good old Atari 800XL when 'boot error' appeared on my screen... good thing it played cartridges too, and that I got one of those fancy 'floppy drives' when I upgraded to a C64 :D

Those were the days, though...I remember playing games like Asteroids, Joust or Dig Dug for ages with my brother. Damn, we're really showing our age now, aren't we? :D

Oddly enough, I'm not much of a 'retro-gamer'...guess I like to look ahead instead of back. I do wish modern games were a tad bit longer, though. When I hear about a game like Heavenly Sword, which seems like a lot of fun, it just seems like a shame that it's such a short ride.

I guess that's why I like RPG's (and action RPG's) best...they offer a slightly longer gaming experience, usually.

Lucky24/7
24-01-2008, 09:32
FPS FTW! Spes COD:4 Online - Tis T3h $3x

(Guilty Pleasers)

Aelyn
24-01-2008, 12:37
3D Adventure (Platform / Puzzle) games.

Most notably Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time, though due to the unusually high puzzle-solving and relatively low shooty-shooty aspects I count Metroid Prime and Portal in this category as well.

SwordsofChaos
24-01-2008, 17:47
RTS is my definite favorite, but I am having a hard time finding good RTS games, that arent so godamn slow. Anyone got any good ideas?

mongoosedog300
28-01-2008, 07:30
Shooters (Because not all are first person :p) and RPG...which is probably why I like Mass Effect so much, especially its full frontal nudity :rolleyes:

Ravening Wh0re
28-01-2008, 12:09
Oooh.

Strategy games. RTS of most kinds.
It's the challenge of pitting yourself against others, I suppose.
Right now I've sunk 30 hours into Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and I've only had it a couple days. It's bloody brilliant.

ps. I loves me some 2d shooters and fightin' games too

edit:

RTS is my definite favorite, but I am having a hard time finding good RTS games, that arent so godamn slow. Anyone got any good ideas?

Well, Dawn of War or Company of Heroes is super quick if you play online competitively.
The old classic C&C games are also pretty quick. Red Alert 2 or C&C Generals.

Gue'la Koholic
28-01-2008, 19:06
Tetris, and puzzle games in general. It sounds weird to me when I say it, because I play tons of Halo and God of War and Burnout, but I know that Tetris is the only game I have given up sex for. And I did so multiple times. It may be more of an indicator about the slightly skewed priorities I place on things in life.