PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two army lists (wood elves)

datalink7
25-09-2005, 21:41
Greetings,

I have been tweaking several lists an was wondering what you think of both. Which do you like better? What should change?

Thanks for any input :)

2000 Pts - Wood Elves Roster - List 1

Lords

Treeman Ancient @ 375 Pts
A Murder of Spites
A Cluster of Radiants
General

Heroes

Wood Elf Noble (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 142 Pts
The Horn of the Asrai
An Annoyance of Netlings

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispel Scrollx2

Branchwraith @ 140 Pts
Level 1 Upgrade
A Befuddlement of Mischiefs

Core

10 Glade Guard @ 126 Pts
Musician Mus

10 Glade Guard @ 126 Pts
Musician Mus

9 Dryads @ 120 Pts
Branch Nymph

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

Special

17 Eternal Guard @ 259 Pts
Full Command
War Banner

8 Wardancers @ 165 Pts
Musician
Bladesinger

6 Wild Riders of Kurnous @ 192 Pts
Full Command

Rare

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts

Power Dice: 5 (3 bound spells)
Dispell Dice: 5 (2 dispell scrolls)
Models in Army: 70
Total Roster Cost: 1999

2000 Pts - Wood Elves Roster - List Two

Lords

Wood Elf Highborn @ 290 Pts
General
Wardancer Kindred
Blades of Loec
Moonstone of the Hidden Ways
An Annoyance of Netlings

Heroes

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
The Deepwood Sphere
Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispel Scroll
Calaingor's Stave

Core

10 Glade Guard @ 126 Pts
Musician

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

Special

8 Wardancers @ 158 Pts
Bladesinger

3 Warhawk Riders @ 120 Pts

Full Command

Rare

Waywatchers (6#, 144 Pts)

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts

Power Dice: 6
Dispell Dice: 4 (2 dispell scrolls)
Models in Army: 73
Total Roster Cost: 2000

Sinew
26-09-2005, 14:51
I'm going to take a look at these lists separately.

2000 Pts - Wood Elves Roster - List 1

Lords

Treeman Ancient @ 375 Pts
A Murder of Spites
A Cluster of Radiants
General

Heroes

Wood Elf Noble (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 142 Pts
The Horn of the Asrai
An Annoyance of Netlings
Can't help thinking this chap has death written all over him. He's got T3, no save and 2 wounds so basic troopers can and will be able to kill him. In addition the unit of Eternal Guard (which is where I assume he will go) loses stubborn if he dies (as far as I know) and they will lose his BSB re-roll. The annoyance of netlings stops a character killing him, but any reasonable combat infantry will cut his head off, and that gleans your opponent an extra 100vps on top of his cost at the end of the game for a dead battle standard.
Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispel Scrollx2

Branchwraith @ 140 Pts
Level 1 Upgrade
A Befuddlement of Mischiefs
Hmmm... not sure about the BoM, and by that I genuinely mean I'm undecided. I have seen how terribly a unit can become afflicted by stupidity, so this could be brilliant but then it seems a little too unreliable to make it into any final draft army list I've written. Try it and let me know how it works - if nothing else I do think that WE do well by going low-power with magic and augmenting their casters with bound spells.
Core

10 Glade Guard @ 126 Pts
Musician Mus

10 Glade Guard @ 126 Pts
Musician Mus

9 Dryads @ 120 Pts
Branch Nymph
Why 9? You'll never get that many into combat, they aren't likely to outnumber very much and they're immune to panic. Also a branch nymph seems like a waste of points to me.
5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

Special

17 Eternal Guard @ 259 Pts
Full Command
War Banner
Nice unit, but see the comments about the BSB above. Thing is though, I think Eternals are well worth it even without being stubborn, and it is often the hero that is the difficult part about designing an Eternal Unit. I'd try them out at 18 unled and see how they go
8 Wardancers @ 165 Pts
Musician
Bladesinger
Again I think the Bladesinger ain't worth his points. I'll stop writing that now, you get my general opinion on champions.
Full Command

Rare

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts
Overall I think this list is quite good, however I think the attempt to get the Horn of Asrai on the stubborn unit of Eternals is a mistake. Eternal guard will mow down light infantry and give heavy infantry a run for their money, they are fast and can move through woods. I think using them as a 'tar pit' or immovable block (as the stubborn leads players to do) invites them to throw away their talents. I think you should aim to mis-direct, bait and frustrate enemy hammer units, if you want a unit to hold stuff up you have the Treeman.

Sinew
26-09-2005, 15:04
Now I'll have a look at your other list.

2000 Pts - Wood Elves Roster - List Two

Lords

Wood Elf Highborn @ 290 Pts
General
Wardancer Kindred
Blades of Loec
Moonstone of the Hidden Ways
An Annoyance of Netlings
A beast! And the only kindred I'd consider putting on a character. The Blades of Loec are an evil magic weapon, so much so that you almost don't need the AoN because enemy character will be so afraid of your killing blow!
Heroes

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
The Deepwood Sphere
Dispel Scroll

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispel Scroll
Calaingor's Stave
Your magic is a bit medium in this army. Spellsingers cost a LOT, especially if upgraded to level 2, and your magic phase is still only 6 power dice and 4 spells. I can't remember what Calaingor's staff does but I'd be tempted to get a single spellsinger with 2 scrolls or beef up your magic phase with a few bound spells. At the current level you might find yourself never getting to a point where you reliably get spells through your opponent's magic defence.
Core

10 Glade Guard @ 126 Pts
Musician

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

8 Dryads @ 96 Pts

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

Special

8 Wardancers @ 158 Pts
Bladesinger
I assume this is where the Highborn goes? If so this unit becomes a hammer - well capable of taking on ranked units frontally and beating them. Have a care though because your opponents will see this and victimise the unit.
3 Warhawk Riders @ 120 Pts
Nice. Shame you couldn't work these into the other list.
Full Command

Rare

Waywatchers (6#, 144 Pts)

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts
Less necessary in this draft because you have the warhawks, but still a worthwhile use of 50pts nonetheless.

I'd say this was the more 'standard' Wood Elf list than the previous one. It has more support troops and no single expensive unit, not even a treeman. The Wardancers may get victimised but I presume that's what the Moonstone is for right? The only thing about this list is that it doesn't have a whole lot of punch in any one place. You'll need to co-ordinate to take on anything that the Wardancers can't deal with on their own, and you have no units that could hold stuff up for even a turn.

g0ddy
26-09-2005, 18:08
Calaingor's Staff lets that one mage cast tree singing infinate times - given he has enough powerdice.

The Blades of Loec are nice but they are not a complete killing machine - you should take note that they only allow rerolls of FAILED wounds, so you cant reroll normal wounding hits trying to get a killing blow :(

- g0ddy

Sinew
27-09-2005, 09:21
The Blades of Loec are nice but they are not a complete killing machine - you should take note that they only allow rerolls of FAILED wounds, so you cant reroll normal wounding hits trying to get a killing blow I was aware of this. What I'd say is on the turn you charge the best thing to do is pick +1A for 6 WS7 S5 attacks with a re-roll to wound, and challenge any enemy characters with the Bladesinger while the Lord minces the unit. Then in the enemy's turn, when you're almost certain to be striking first, challenge with the Lord. He now only has S4 so do the killing blow dance - you'll fail to wound more often giving you more chances to re-roll looking for those killing blows. The Blades of Loec always do something for you which is why I like them. I was even thinking about fielding them with Mericew's Locus...