PDA

View Full Version : 2250 points semi-competitive lizardmen

Semi_Bunny
19-01-2008, 00:23
Well this is my Lizardmen 2250 point list that I recently took the time to redo.

2nd Generation Slann - Diadem of power, Plaque of Divine Protection, Plaque of Tepok, and Battle Standard- 585 points~~~~Either with saurus or alone in a forest

Saurus Scar Veteran – Light Armor, Shield, Great Weapon, Charm of Jaguar Warrior, SS of Sotek, SS of Quetzl - 148 points~~~~Either with the larger saurus unit or Kroxigors

Saurus Scar Veteran – Light Armor, Shield, Cold One, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, SS of Itzl, SS of Quetzl- 187 points~~~~With the CoR

Skink Priest – 1 Dispel Scroll- 90 points~~~~With one of the javelin skink units that has the best LoS.

20 Saurus Warriors – full command, hand weapons– 270 points

12 Saurus Warriors - hand weapons - 144 points

11 Skinks – Blowpipes, Scouts- 77 points

10 Skinks – Javelins, Shields- 60 points

6 Chameleon Skinks-90 points (Temporary substitute for Terradons since I dont have the models)

5 Saurus Cavalry – Hand weapons, shields, spears, Huanchi’s Totem, Standard Bearer, - 235 points

3 Kroxigors – Great Weapons- 174 points

2 Salamanders – 130 points

Total=2250

I decided I'd try something new and instead of fielding 2 units of 18 saurus, I'd do one unit of 20 (which can house the slann if needed, in most cases though hes off in a forest using telepathy) and a smaller detachment type unit of 12 to support them. This opened up some points for me to work with but still allowed me to keep a saurus unit to protect flanks and such. Any comments and criticism on the list are encouraged and welcome.

A few quick questions (take into regard my main opponents are all three types of elves and a mostly mortal chaos army):

I.) Will the detachment of 12 saurus idea work out well, or am I better off just skipping out and bringing one unit of saurus? I know some people will say dont bring any, but I have the models all painted up and stuff so I'd rather not waste them. Hence why I called the list semi competitive.

II.) Would it be better to field the chameleon skinks as regular scouting skinks @ 70 points (until I get terradons) and then add Tlazcotl to the larger saurus unit when they have the slann in them?

III.) Would the cold one riding hero be better with sotek for 7 S5 attacks on the charge, or quetzl for the 0+ armorsave.

IV.) As war machine and mage hunters and march blockers, do you prefer chameleon skinks or terradons? At the moment I'm using converted chameleon skinks simply because I dont have 45$ to spend on terradons, but I'm wondering which you prefer and if it's even worth it for me to buy terradons.

Laurela
19-01-2008, 04:16
You have to many character slots as the Slann counts as a Lord and a Hero if he is second gen.
Personally I'd only use the one big block of Saurus unit and forget about the detachment idea you have. As for the blessings, I'd give your saurus hero sotek over quetzl, but that is just mean.
And finally, I never leave home with my terradons, I love them so very much. I'd suggest investing in them if you ever get the money to be able to buy them.

Semi_Bunny
19-01-2008, 14:04
Oh my bad I didnt even think about the hero slot when I was counting. So which hero do you recommend dropping, the JSoD or the cold one riding hero? at the moment I was thinking of the one on the cold one and then just adding terradons to the list. Maybe also buff the cold one unit up to 6 too. So here's what a revised list looks like.

2nd Generation Slann - Diadem of power, Plaque of Divine Protection, Plaque of Tepok, and Battle Standard- 585 points

Saurus Scar Veteran – Light Armor, Shield, Great Weapon, Charm of Jaguar Warrior, SS of Sotek, SS of Quetzl - 148 points

Skink Priest – 2 Dispel Scrolls- 115 points

20 Saurus Warriors – full command, hand weapons– 270 points

12 Saurus Warriors - hand weapons - 144 points

12 Skinks – Blowpipes, Scouts- 84 points

7 Chameleon Skinks-105 points

6 Saurus Cavalry – Hand weapons, shields, spears, Huanchi’s Totem, Standard Bearer, - 270 points

3 Terradons-105 points

3 Kroxigors – Great Weapons- 174 points

2 Salamanders – 130 points

Total=2250

What do you suggest I add in for those 144 points if I drop the detachment idea?

Dead Man Walking
19-01-2008, 18:20
Go with the JSOD. If the enemy's mage is in a unit and the unit champ is not in base contact with the mage you can run in and kill him. Give him great weapon & shield. JSOD takes care of fast calvary, mages, artillery, skirmishers & wreaks chariot units. That and if a unit is going to get into combat he can always go hurtling in there where he is needed to add a few more wounds.

Also as far as units of saurus go I field 2 units of 16. 16+ slaan =20 for purposes of rank bonuses. The advantage here is to protect one anothers flanks and once the enemy has committed to charging the slaan unit you can move him into the other unit which is espeacially useful because most slaan die in being run off the board. Keep them 4-6 inches apart to make it harder for your opponent to redirect into the unit.

Terradons are also great at killing characters as they can bash in, pop a lvl 2 mage and then run away. They kill fast calv, artillery and are excellent at assisting in a charge as they have a long charge range and 360 vision. If infantry charges a unit of infantry with assists from the 20 inch flyers your opponent will not opt to run as the flyers are almost assured to catch them. They help you from the 'flee/counter charge tactic' that most good generals set you up for.

Cameleons are the only unit I do -not- field. They cost nearly 3x's what a normal skink does and really dont give you much payback beyond instant marchblocking which skinks can do under the right circumstances anyways. The bells and whistles they get do not = thier cost.

I find that cold one units have to be fielded with the banner that adds d6 movement in magic phase to be useful. Against low end infantry (goblins, skaven.) and mid range infantry (Mauraders, dwarf warriors (but not elite dwarves), ogre bulls and dark elves they tend to do well. However against elite units like ironbreakers or chaos warriors they will just end up bouncing off your opponent unless you add in some serious charge assists.

I always field Kroxigor over cold ones, Most players refuse to stroll into kroxigor charge range, espeacially if they are parked in a water terrain. They can charge through skinks and each one deals out STR 7 attacks. Most heavy calvary are weary of charging kroxigor since they have to do a lot of wounds to stop the kroxigor from doing the same right back. If a kroxigor unit flank hits it may be a sure win, if they are assisting in a charge on the flank it is a sure win.