PDA

View Full Version : How to run a campaign?

krj
19-01-2008, 13:29
My gaming group is considering running a campaign. Have any of you done this, and how did you organize it? Tell me about your experiences!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
19-01-2008, 13:40
Aha!

Right, first of all, get ye to the Downloads section, and get yourself a copy of The Watchman, in which I wrote an article on this very same subject.

Well, more or less the same. The article deals specifically with Mighty Empire style campaigns, which is one of a few ways you can do it.

So the first step, talk to your players, and find out what sort of campaign they want. GW often give the example of a Tree campaign, where the result of the battle dictates the next game. This is the easiest way, as it requires very little setting up.

Next, is a Narrative campaign, which is akin to the Tree campaign, but with a running story (the Narrative) connecting things. The main difference though, is that a Narrative campaign is a lot more free form.

Then you have the Map based campaign. Best version of this is Mighty Empires. You buy the box, set up the map, and Bobs your Aunties Live in Lover. Each player chooses a tile to start, and then start conquering the map.

The most rewarding, in my opinion, is a Narrative, Map Based campaign. With this, you can lay the mightiest of Empires low, and gives the Games Master as much or as little control as he wants.

But, the most important rule? Unless you are running a straight forward Tree Campaign, with no special victory conditions in each game, DO NOT TAKE PART YOURSELF. Well, if you are running it, as the temptation to change things to suit yourself is really rather strong. Best to take a back seat and run things. Is bloody good fun as well.

Duke Raoul
19-01-2008, 13:50
I'm running a campaign atm using the Generals Compendium rules. We have 4 players. I drew up a map and have it posted on a cork board where we play so everyone can see how things are going. Everything has gone really well so far and I would recommend these rules as they are easy to teach players without the book but also give you enough rules so that, just winning games will not win you the campaign.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
19-01-2008, 16:53
I would hasten to point out, that all though not being dependent on game results sounds like a good idea, it should be the main way.

Start off with a fairly basic campaign until you and your players have sussed it out a bit. If you go in at the deep end, you risk confusion, and on the spot rule inventions which can prove problematic.

krj
20-01-2008, 12:17
Aha!

Right, first of all, get ye to the Downloads section, and get yourself a copy of The Watchman, in which I wrote an article on this very same subject.

Well, more or less the same. The article deals specifically with Mighty Empire style campaigns, which is one of a few ways you can do it.

So the first step, talk to your players, and find out what sort of campaign they want. GW often give the example of a Tree campaign, where the result of the battle dictates the next game. This is the easiest way, as it requires very little setting up.

Next, is a Narrative campaign, which is akin to the Tree campaign, but with a running story (the Narrative) connecting things. The main difference though, is that a Narrative campaign is a lot more free form.

Then you have the Map based campaign. Best version of this is Mighty Empires. You buy the box, set up the map, and Bobs your Aunties Live in Lover. Each player chooses a tile to start, and then start conquering the map.

The most rewarding, in my opinion, is a Narrative, Map Based campaign. With this, you can lay the mightiest of Empires low, and gives the Games Master as much or as little control as he wants.

But, the most important rule? Unless you are running a straight forward Tree Campaign, with no special victory conditions in each game, DO NOT TAKE PART YOURSELF. Well, if you are running it, as the temptation to change things to suit yourself is really rather strong. Best to take a back seat and run things. Is bloody good fun as well.

An interesting article Mad Doc Grotsnik, I am now considering buying the Mighty Empires box. Once I had the General's Compendium and I had some grad plans to run a campaign using it's campaign rules, but I must have lost it.. :(
I really liked your warband part. Sounds like a lot of fun.