PDA

View Full Version : How does a Grav chute work?

Inquizitor Aohd
19-01-2008, 12:55
Is there any info on this directly?

Baaltharus
19-01-2008, 13:28
To the best of my knowlegde its a man sized-short run anti grav engine which rapidly slows the decent of the wearer. Its something like a very small jump pack but with a considerably shorter use period (ie only useful for stopping people from plummeting into the dirt at high speeds). One of the regiments use them in Gaunts Ghost novel I'm sure.

Burnthem
19-01-2008, 13:32
Like Baaltharus said, they just slow your descent from lethal to merely fast :D They do have a limited ability to go 'back up', but not anything good compared to true 'jump packs'

Vemetric
19-01-2008, 15:47
For an effective representation of it:

Grav Shute deployment (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29781.html)

Shortseer
19-01-2008, 18:51
Are you sure? because the Imperium tends to over complicate names for common items, you know, like pict stealer, cogitation unit, etc. Grav chute sounds to me like a parachute, and thats how its always been explained to me by my guard playing friends

Vemetric
19-01-2008, 19:01
If you look at the grav chute's used by the Elysians, they are definitely directional jets of some fashion designed to slow your descent. I can nearly assure you that this is the style of technology in use.

Veme

Burnthem
19-01-2008, 19:18
yep, the name is a bit misleading, it isnt a 'chute' as we think of one, but more of a low powered jump pack that uses either directed thrust in the normal versions and sophisticated Anti-grav tech in the extremely rare/non existent ones :D

Wolf Scout Ewan
19-01-2008, 19:22
They always kinda looked like a limited use jet pack.

They would probably be fitted with suspensors to help with slowing descent too.

Shortseer
19-01-2008, 23:32
Ah, I haven't seen the Elysian models so i didn't know that, thanks for letting me know Vemetric :)

I still like the idea of guardsmen parachuting into a battle zone though.

GodofWarTx
20-01-2008, 03:27
Ah, I haven't seen the Elysian models so i didn't know that, thanks for letting me know Vemetric :)

I still like the idea of guardsmen parachuting into a battle zone though.

im sure no doubt they do just that.

In tactica imperialis, they also have used giant anti-grav beams on huge transport craft at 30,000+ feet up. Basically the troops just stepped out and floated down under a cone at an acceptable speed. Only problem was is that any kind of maneuvering by the transport would throw the cone off, sending any in transit to their deaths.

Hideous Loon
20-01-2008, 10:27
Yeah, the doctrine Drop Troops can be represented by almost anything from old-school parachutes to small Stormboyish one-shot rokkit packs.

Oh, and GodOfWarTx, what're you suggesting? That the Immoral Gimperium of Man does not care for its subjects? Pfft.

FrankManic
23-01-2008, 02:25
Is there any info on this directly?

it is powered by upsidasium.

Gensuke626
23-01-2008, 02:37
it is powered by upsidasium.

Uh-huh...And the Emperor was born in Frostbite Falls, i bet...

Chaplain of Chaos
23-01-2008, 03:00
Yeah before I saw the Elysian models a while back I assumed it was some sort of localised anti-grav 'chute' like a literal tunnel projected down from an orbiting or atmospheric lander.

Similar to the ones you see in Halo for example.

I like the concept of small localised reverse gravity in the form of the elysian grav chutes. Much more mobile. I for one despise the concept of anything that can travel in space using parachutes...

I mean just give terminaters parachutes why don't ya!