PDA

View Full Version : Power Playing Lizards??

Calibur22
19-01-2008, 15:08
Yo,
So here's the deal.
I have been playing WHF for a long while, and for most of that time I have been playing Lizards but also run a couple of other armies.

I have asked a couple of people around, from tournament players to newbies, to try to construct the most powerful list they can with the lizard book and a limit of 2500 points that could go up against any other cheese list to be constructed.
Whilst the lists they have showed me have been had some potential I still havent seen one that is that great, and definately not one that could go up against a cheese HE or SKaven list. I am starting to think that it cant be done.
I ask if anyone would be willing to step up to this challenge.

Cheese List - 2500 poin limit
Hit me

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-01-2008, 15:20
I am starting to think that it cant be done.
I ask if anyone would be willing to step up to this challenge.

Of course it can. Lizards are able to make some of the most powerful take-all-comers list you can get.

It shouldn't even be that difficult, it's not like there is some trick to them.

kdh88
19-01-2008, 21:22
Of course it can. Lizards are able to make some of the most powerful take-all-comers list you can get.

It shouldn't even be that difficult, it's not like there is some trick to them.

To elaborate:

Salamanders for Rares
Kroxigors and maybe a unit of Terradons for Specials
Lots and lots of Skinks for troops, including a couple of Scouts.
Your choice of a JSoD Old Blood or a Slann. If you take the JSoD, use a Scar Vet for a General and get a scroll caddy. If you take the Slann, use a Scar Vet JSoD.

fracas
20-01-2008, 00:36
take sacred host for all your saurus and skinks while you are at it

Big Chief Slapahoe
20-01-2008, 01:49
Well I play both Lizardmen and High Elves, and ive always noticed that saurus get absolutely smashed by High Elf infantry. i would suggest a lot of skinks with blowpipes. also dont take skink priests and just take the spawning that gives you +1 dispel dice, it is more effective and costs less. nothing pulls the teeth from a HE army like 5 or 6 dispel dice. also i never really take lord level characters unless its a slann, as scar vets are just about as nasty, and cost like 80 points less.

I would also only suggest Kroxies if they are supported by saurus (NEVER GET SPEARS) or saurus calvalry, as they tend to break whenever they are alone. Terradons may not be the best choice as high elves like to spam elite infantry, but are perfect for taking out things like...i dunno say a 400 point high elf archmage or those 100 point repeater bolt throwers, id recomend 3-5.

also, max out rare slots on salamanders, those suckers can torch whatever you want each turn, they are an absolute must.

If you think you will take some heat from calvalry, i would suggest perhaps some jungle swarms to bait that charge, then counter with Kroxies, but not many people like jungle swarms, as they cost quite a few points.

Calibur22
20-01-2008, 03:04
Ok,
So those are some of the typical lists I have seen so far. I have tried them out as well. for example, maxing out on skiks with blowpipes. Taking a slann, some terradon, maybe about 7 and 3 salamanders with 2 skink priests.

Whilst the army is extremly mobile and owns the magic phase it still gets owned. And its not just me, because I see other more advanced players get owned or just scrape by a draw with such or a similar list. Hoe can you keep them out of combat or make them not useless in combat?

Gorbad, if your so sure it can be done show me list and ill build and play it.

The problem is keeping the skinks out of combat whilst being able to take advantage of their blowpipes. It is extremly difficult. Especialy against Tomb Scorpions and the like. Also against shooting.

I still think that these lists are fairly weak.

notlogic
20-01-2008, 03:16
Step 1 - Learn the 8 schools of magic like the back of your hand

Step 2 - Build a list similar to below

2nd Gen Slann ALONE
Diadem, Extra Spell Plaque, Extra Casting/Dispel Dice Plaque

Lv2 Skink Priest
Mark of Old Ones, Cube of Darkness

Lv1 Skink Priest
Scout -- Whatever equip

3x Skink ~12 per unit, one or two scout.

24x Saurus - Quetzl (6x4 Block)

20x Saurus - Quetzl (5x4 Block)

5x Cold Ones
Std, Champ, Banner of Huanchi

3x Kroxigor

Stegadon

Step 3: Hide your Slann in woods. If no woods, behind something. If nothing, why the heck are you on an open field?... stick him in Saurus Unit if necessary.

Step 4: Magic Phase

Step 5: Profit

Big Chief Slapahoe
20-01-2008, 04:48
Against High Elves, this list has served me well it is 2500 Points

Saurus Oldblood :236
Scimmy of Sun, Bane Head
Spawning of Tepok
Light Armor, shield

Saurus Scar-Vet:154
Jaguar Charm, Burning Blade of Chotec
Blessed Spawning of Tepok
Shield, Light Armor

Saurus Scar Veteran:120
Blessed Spawning of Itzil, Cold One
Great Weapon, Light Armor

Core Units

12 Skinks w/ Blowpipe:84
Scouts

12 Skinks w/ Blowpipe:84
Scouts

12 Skinks w/ Blowpipe:72

12 Skinks w/ blowpipe:72

11 Skinks w/ Blowpipe:66

Special Units

19 Saurus Warriors:288
Champion, Standard, Musician
Spawning of Tepok

7 Saurus Cavalry:295
Full Command, War Banner

3 Kroxigors:174

3 Kroxigors:174

Rare Choices

3 Salamander Hunting Packs:195

3 Salamander Hunting Packs:195

Also try using skinks as bait, when they are charged, just flee and have the saurus cavalry charge whatever tried to get through, dont give them the overrun! also cause hell with your skinks!, get them to move around enemy units so they cannot be charged and shoot him next turn after moving 6" to his units flank. use your units close combat troops to counter charge after electing to flee with your skinks. use skinks as harrasment troops, more than charging in and blasting that blowpipe, always flee from a charger with skinks. you will outnumber him and make sure he knows that outmaneuver that SoB. be sure to protect your salamanders and have them melt those vulnerable sword masters. use tactics! also you may notice this list has no mages, but dont worry as it gets a powerful 5 Dispel Dice, i choose this because i get more dispel dice than if i took skink priests, and against high elves not many spells would get through anyway.

If this isnt what you think will work, do you want a defensive or offensive army? but at least test it please before you criticize it.
Best of luck, and may the dice gods be on your side!

Calibur22
20-01-2008, 13:22
Thanks Big Chief and notlogic.

I think that the assualt list will work ok. magic is too unpredictable and always gets shut down in the end anyways.
Although i have played similar ists before I always get, and see people get caughts into combat.
Ill give both lists a go and let you know the results.