PDA

View Full Version : New lord of the rings!!!

God of War
25-09-2005, 22:48
Heres a link to the new lord of the rings models at gamesday
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=disparticle&catid=4&subid=24&artilceid=2278
hope the link works great models, but some dont look very tolkienish to me.

Oh yeah, thanks to the last alliance for the pics

Shadowheart
26-09-2005, 02:19
Very nice stuff, their expansions have definitely improved after SoG/BoPF. I'm not sure the Khandish warriors quite fit into the look of the movies, but they look good and realistic. An army of horsemen and chariots will look great thundering across the table.

I was expecting more actual Easterlings though, but maybe GW erred on the side of caution this time around, not expanding much on what the movies showed. Guess they can always go back later anyway.

Weird that the only greens they were showing were of models that are already released. And why are the Dwarf shields still round?

starlight
26-09-2005, 02:28
GW's license for movie imagery was only for five years, the license for book *imagery* is for ten. Expect that the forthcoming works will *not* be as close to the movies as the existing stuff. GW will be turning out many LotR things over the next five or so years, but it will be book based, not movie based.

Half Eldar
26-09-2005, 04:23
I'm in. If the prices of the plastic box sets don't go up too much, I'm absolutely going to be getting me a force of Easterlings. Or heck, just use the models and make a pseudo Samurai list for WHFB, but that's another story entirely.

God of War
26-09-2005, 04:31
Wait, is there another price raise in the works half eldar? On a side note, is it just me or does it seem like any one who plays any/all of the main three games going to be slipping into debt during 2006. Too many nice models!! :cries:

starlight
26-09-2005, 05:05
Wait, is there another price raise in the works...

Is this a silly question or what? :rolleyes:

Of course there's another price hike in the works, and one after that, and so on...

Odin
26-09-2005, 09:03
I reckon anyone who plays Warhammer Historical will be dead chuffed - some of those will fit very nicely.

Nice models, but as several people have commented, some of them aren't very LotR.

Apple Dave
26-09-2005, 09:32
OMFG those are amazing, must restrain self, must buy as soon as they hit the shelves.

Those Khandish guys look so cool, and the Easterling Bowmen, a must for anyone surely.

Neldoreth
26-09-2005, 11:47
We should really all be honest with ourselves and realize that nothing will really fit into the look of the movie unless we actually saw it there.... And even then... I like those Khandish figs... oh man... They do look like Mongols crossed with samurai though, but that is cool, nudged sideways from reality :)

In any case, are those plastic dwarves? I know I can hope, but I doubt it. Still, was there a rumour about this somehwere?

Neldoreth

Baggers
26-09-2005, 12:50
Nice models, nothing new as I said, not a big fan of the chariots but were better than the last time i heard about them.

Dr Death
26-09-2005, 14:23
The figures are quite nice, i quite like the 'finer' look of the plastics than the clunkier metal varients- but then if you think i dont like metals then look on the warhammer board.

We should really all be honest with ourselves and realize that nothing will really fit into the look of the movie unless we actually saw it there

Sorry if this seems like im having a go at you Neldoreth, im sure you're a great bloke but frankly while i can see your point and you could argue it very successfully, im not sure im in total agreement with it. The people in the weta design team worked so hard to create a definative "look" for their Middle Earth and as that is what GW are basing their models "look" on then i think they should try to be a bit closer to it.

I do admit that some things take seeing them in the reality of being filmed to look right but others can be beleived straight from the model- something about it just clicks.

The cataphracts in my opinion look fantastic- if slightly too heavy, perhaps the easterlings would have dropped a bit of that heavy armour to save the horse some trouble. The Khandish troops look pretty good but the individual banner and helmets just give them away as bit too much like japanese or mongolian warriors.

The chariots look simple- im very glad GW didnt go overboard with decorative chassis like they do with their warhammer models- knowing where to stop is as important as knowing where to start.

After berating Adam troke at the designers stands it turned out that the Good sides presence in this suppliment will be summed up in 5 models- the dwarven heroes you see there (they are NOT new plastics) a gondorian character/generic hero, Eorl the Young and someone else. He also imformed me he was writing TTT suppliment and the reason they havnt been able to release some of the BGiME models is because they have a period of time they are required to wait after they've been released by BGiME so not to effect sales of the Mag.

Dr Death

Baggers
26-09-2005, 15:54
Which means we will be seeing Ugluk with the TTT supplement.

L.Hutz
26-09-2005, 17:04
Very Cool! Especially the Khandish units. Can't wait.

Brandir
26-09-2005, 17:11
GW's license for movie imagery was only for five years, the license for book *imagery* is for ten. Expect that the forthcoming works will *not* be as close to the movies as the existing stuff. GW will be turning out many LotR things over the next five or so years, but it will be book based, not movie based.

I thought that GW had the licence for both That Film and Tolkien Enterprises for 10 years, starting November 2001?

Marauder
26-09-2005, 17:33
Very tempting to now add a large detachement of Easterlings to my Mordor Horde!

NetGuru
26-09-2005, 19:44
I like the King in the chariot, it looks like another company that makes Histrorical minatures rather than GW has made it as it looks very realistic. Im not sure how it will fit with the imagery of the game though...

starlight
26-09-2005, 20:02
I thought that GW had the licence for both That Film and Tolkien Enterprises for 10 years, starting November 2001?

Nope, the original agreement was Movies for five, Books for ten. Now it might be possible that GW has renewed the movie license, but give the drop in sales, I doubt it. They are likely saving up for the Hobbit license.

God of War
26-09-2005, 20:06
I have heard that the gondor hero will be madril the ranger in his both ranger and gondor soldier uniforms. I think that some of the models dont fit in too well is because they are too easily recognisable as having an oriental feel.

Brandir
26-09-2005, 20:32
Nope, the original agreement was Movies for five, Books for ten. Now it might be possible that GW has renewed the movie license, but give the drop in sales, I doubt it. They are likely saving up for the Hobbit license.

The original licences were for 5 years (both IPs). But GW had written into the contracts options to extend these licences to 10 years. GW took these options (in 2003 if I remember correctly) so the contracts run out Nov 2011. I also understand that GW only agreed to take the New Line contract if they secured the Tolkien Enterprises contract for the same time period, to prevent another company producing a miniatures game based on LOTR.

I also understand that GW has an obligation to promote the line and release minis until the contract ends.

So, we will see new supplements and minis for a few years yet.

Remember that a TT supplement will be released next year and a ROTK supplement in 2007, both using a mix of the film and books.

I am also hopeful that GW will secure the LOTR RPG rights when Decipher finally admits defeat and goes into administration.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Easterlings (rather, my son is. He can't wait for those new plastics) but am not so sure about the chariot. It looks a little different from the one I saw a few months ago.

Half Eldar
27-09-2005, 23:56
Well, I say if there's not too much of a price hike because I have come to expect one yearly, if not more often. As for plastics vs. metal, it was said on the last alliance that the only things plastic were the Easterlings on foot. Now, I hope they're wrong and that the Cataphracts and/or the Khandish are plastic, but I doubt it.

My guess is we will see plastic dwarves sometime, just not now. Next thing up for plasticing is Mirkwood Elves, I do believe.

Neldoreth
28-09-2005, 01:32
Sorry if this seems like im having a go at you Neldoreth, im sure you're a great bloke but frankly while i can see your point and you could argue it very successfully, im not sure im in total agreement with it. The people in the weta design team worked so hard to create a definative "look" for their Middle Earth and as that is what GW are basing their models "look" on then i think they should try to be a bit closer to it. Dr Death

I agree entirely really. I think though that what GW has done is given up designing the new figs in house, and passed on the job to Alan and Michael Perry excusively... Although they haven't _really_ captured the feel of Weta's middle earth, they come a lot closer than the majority of other GW designed models that had been previously released.

What these figs do do though it that they convey a realism that GW otherwise fails to capture. You look at them and they actually look like they are plausible.... To be honest though, one a second pass over those chariots, they doo look a bit overdressed with the skulls and furs and what not... Oh well, I like them anyway :)

Neldoreth

Brandir
28-09-2005, 07:09
I suspect that GW are keeping plastic Dwarves back until (if?) there is a film version of The Hobbit. Such a box set would probably come with a sprue of Dwarves from the Iron Mountains and a sprue of Misty Mountain Goblins (or maybe GW will use the existing Moria Goblins considering that Bolg is the leader of the Moria Goblins).

Rabid Bunny 666
18-10-2005, 10:10
thought i'd bump this because theres alot of easterling stuff cropping up

Baggers
18-10-2005, 13:20
please note that some Shadow of the east metal models include Khamul of the nine are on the main page.

rkunisch
18-10-2005, 13:27
please note that some Shadow of the east metal models include Khamul of the nine are on the main page. What main page? Can you please try to cleanup this sentence? At the moment I simply can't understand what you try to say. :(

Have fun,

Rolf.

Baggers
18-10-2005, 13:31
For all those who are not old school Portenters here is a Link (http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php)

rkunisch
18-10-2005, 13:35
For all those who are not old school Portenters here is a Link (http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php)
Ah yes, in the context of TLA I understand it now. Thanks.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Brandir
18-10-2005, 15:46
I do have a comment on this mini. Are GW allowed to use the name 'Kharmûl the Easterling'? This name is from Unfinished Tales; I was under the impression that GW only had the licence for LOTR (excluding certain parts of the Appendicies) and The Hobbit:

Our license only covers the following books: The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King; and the New Line Cinemas films based off the latter three books. It also covers the prologues to The Lord of the Rings, but only the parts of the appendices that are not featured in Tolkien’s other writings, notably The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

Baggers
18-10-2005, 19:28
I am unsure of the contract of LOTR is and I doubt anyone on this board does as well, however I do belive things have changed recently espically in terms of the book and so I aint got a problem, and as all models have to be checked off by thr Tolkien estate then there is no problem

immortal99
19-10-2005, 17:42
does that mean with the release of shadow in the east we shall also see plastic dwarfes? yahoo is all i can say i'm making a mines of moria board for my soon coming moria army and whant to collect dwarfes after the goblins.

only bad thing is the dwarfe has the plastic legolas pose

fire to the right look straight forward

"oops! sorry aragorn!":D

Ares
20-10-2005, 06:36
Damn damn, there goes my hard earned money again!

Baggers
20-10-2005, 12:46
does that mean with the release of shadow in the east we shall also see plastic dwarfes? yahoo is all i can say i'm making a mines of moria board for my soon coming moria army and whant to collect dwarfes after the goblins.

Sorry no, the Dwarves are in Resin, the models are scuplted in green stuff then a copy is made in Resin, which the metal mould can be made from

immortal99
20-10-2005, 16:24
so why are they showing us them then?

Baggers
20-10-2005, 19:00
So we can see the models before they are painted by the Eavy Metal models, if its new and shiny, I do not care if there in resin, metal or sprue format.

immortal99
21-10-2005, 08:19
you mean they are new dwarfes just they are being made in metal?

from what was said prevously i got the immpression they were the old ones

because making dwarfes in metal again would be pretty pointless

Baggers
21-10-2005, 12:39
No there not troops they are heros, the plastic dwarves are at least 2 years away

Intrepid Adventurer
24-10-2005, 08:41
Two years? What about Alessio already mentioning them in that interview? Doesn't that mean they could be here a little sooner than that?

Baggers
24-10-2005, 12:28
He has said that after the last alliance, mirkwood and Shadow in the East as well as the TTT,ROTK supplements, we may get something that deals with the Iron Hills.

Intrepid Adventurer
24-10-2005, 23:27
Ah yes, I see now. Thankee. (:

UnRiggable
24-10-2005, 23:45
hmm, sounds like over 3 1/2 years to me, if each is 6 months in the making...

Brandir
25-10-2005, 18:53
A 3 1/2 year window may coincide with a release of The Hobbit ;)