PDA

View Full Version : Rhinox and maneaters

TownCryer
26-09-2005, 03:02
ok, so I have a 3k game that could be schedualed, and I was wondering would taking Rhinox Riders and man eaters be worth it?

skavenguy13
26-09-2005, 03:36
Well, rhinox riders need approval so if he approves, he probably has something in store especially for them. I suggest you either don't take them or deploy them last. As for the man-eaters, you could definately afford some at 3000 points. But if I were you, I'd take the opportunity to take 1 or 2 gorgers because at this size, he will surely have some nasty artillery you'll want to kill without getting too close with your big units.

TownCryer
26-09-2005, 04:27
true, but I'm going to go thru with the calv as I spent the money from forgeworld >.< and I cant exactly go back on that now. And I have one gorger which seems enough for my tastes, cause just the one does enough to scare away artillery and such, and it still works with my plan and a strait march foreward

Ponyking
26-09-2005, 07:04
Well, rhinox riders need approval so if he approves, he probably has something in store especially for them. I suggest you either don't take them or deploy them last. As for the man-eaters, you could definately afford some at 3000 points. But if I were you, I'd take the opportunity to take 1 or 2 gorgers because at this size, he will surely have some nasty artillery you'll want to kill without getting too close with your big units.

why would he need his opponents approval for rhinox riders? they are as official as the armybook.

On to the rhinox then, take them, they are ace. the only way to get a decent armour save in an OK army and the hardest hitting cavalry in the world.

Maneaters are well worth the points so use either 1 unit of rhinox 1 maneater and 1 gorger or 2 gorgers instead of the maneaters. the gorgers are way too cheap as it is so go ahead and take advantage ^^

skavenguy13
26-09-2005, 17:02
You mean they really ARE official? Source please!!!

mielherne
26-09-2005, 18:46
I don't think the are official. The are in a WD, but nowhere it states that the are to be used whitout oponents approval.

Ponyking
26-09-2005, 19:13
it doesn't say you need it either. Everything in WD is official unless it says you need your opponents permission to use it imho. Myself I think they should have been in the OK book from the start, they are needed to round out the army.

TownCryer
26-09-2005, 22:28
543 pts: 1+ armor, 22 attacks, 3 D3 impact hits, terror. Not that bad, thats why I took them, and thats the way the unit is if you do it right

Trunks
27-09-2005, 05:23
Just look out for panic checks (abysmal leadership for your points investment) and you should be good to go.

TownCryer
27-09-2005, 12:41
rage banner?

Keller
27-09-2005, 18:07
rage banner?

I believe its the "Rag Banner", which helps passing panic tests.

skavenguy13
27-09-2005, 18:08
it doesn't say you need it either. Everything in WD is official unless it says you need your opponents permission to use it imho. Myself I think they should have been in the OK book from the start, they are needed to round out the army.

Yes, they are very nice and I too think they should have been in the army book. But still, not everything in WD is official, even if not stated otherwise. I asked about 3 times here (or Portent), several times on GW forums/mods/Gav, at my gaming club, various other forums.... I STILL DON'T KNOW IF THE GNOBLAR LIST IS OFFICIAL!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
It's been like 6 months already and still no answer :mad: and I can't play my army at my local club (I never played in any other store yet) if it's not official.

Trunks
27-09-2005, 19:32
It's been like 6 months already and still no answer :mad: and I can't play my army at my local club (I never played in any other store yet) if it's not official.

Your local club must be full of stuck up asses then. If people have a problem with you using something that is in White Dwarf that's officialness is questionable, and it isn't a tournament so the game doesn't "count for anything", then those people just plain suck.

TownCryer
27-09-2005, 20:34
ok, the gnoblar is list is legal, cause why else would they spend time making it? I mean all that painting of the annoying little things...with very little detail. O.o It is legal, cause if there not, than anything those people in your club use from WD wouldn't be legal either. Simple logic to use against them. Loopholes rock. If all else fails, call the rule guys.

Trunks
28-09-2005, 03:20
If all else fails, call the rule guys.

. . . and get a wrong answer a majority of the time :angel:

TownCryer
28-09-2005, 12:00
thats beside the point, say you called them, and tell your group a bs answer. And if they call the boys themselves, and get a different answer, just say it probally wasn't the guy you talked to.

Avian
28-09-2005, 12:09
1+ armor
How did you get this idea? The best a rhinox can get is 3+ vs. shooting and 2+ in combat (if you choose an ironfist).

TownCryer
28-09-2005, 19:44
6 for LA, 5 for HA, 4 for IF, 3 for Mounted, 2 for Shaggy hide... I guess your right, I must have redid my calculations wrong...heh...sorry, but I was close

skavenguy13
28-09-2005, 20:11
TownCryer: 1st, about the armor saves: you propably counted the HW&shield bonus, which rhinox riders can't have of course.
2nd, about the leagality: In our club, we play with only things that are legal, except in certain situations such as the Bubonic Court in our Lustria campaign. As for the WD stuff, it's mostly ideas some people had and decided to make it a new list. When they make new lists like that, they make money with it even if it's not official.

And I think this thread is getting wayyyy off topic... and I ain't helping :(

TownCryer
28-09-2005, 22:21
ok, then how should I run my rhinox and man eaters?

Avian
29-09-2005, 10:27
My plan is to run three maneaters (two with great weapons and one with longsword, all with heavy armour) along with my Bruiser carrying the battle standard and having the Wallcrusher big name and some other item, such as the Greatskull.

My Bull Rhinox has heavy armour and an ironfist and it has worked okay so far. Once I get around to making a second it will be a standard bearer.

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/pictures/ogres/rhinox_fullfront.JPG

skavenguy13
29-09-2005, 22:29
Well, I see 3 ways to use them. First: the flankers. They can have the options you want for this, though GW might be better. You must have 2 of them, 3 is still viable. Well, the tactic is easy: put them on a flank. They can either destroy nearby skirmishers/weak units or make a flank charge.

Second: smasher. This would be a single one with GW. It would be used to destroy chariots easily, go for lone mages or annoying heroes you want to get rid of (especially good on BSBs. Ater that, they're pretty much a waste though.

Third: Hammer unit. If you can screen them with gnoblars, 3 are easily enough. One with GW, one with longsword and the other with the weapon you like (I prefer GW). They can fight head-on battles and win. The maneater with the longsword is to cancel enemy attacks so the GW-users won't be wounded. A unit of 4 would be rather costy but you can face pretty much everything except cavalry (and even cavalry sometimes)

Avian
04-10-2005, 18:48
Having tried 3 Maneaters with GW/HA along with a BSB in a battle against the Bubonic Court yesterday, I must say I was greatly pleased with the damage they did. Over two combat rounds this little unit did 22 wounds to the enemy, and that's only a little bit above average, which is 18 or so. :D

I also considered a smaller unit (1-2 Maneaters) joined by 2 characters, which is a bit odd (you only actually need 1 Maneater to make the whole thing Stubborn on Ld8) but could possibly work.

made_of_metal
04-10-2005, 20:22
I am really iffy on the riders. I just have this horrible image in my head of them chasing skimishers through the woods because of their low Ld.

Avain, that is a really funny idea. I guy makes 2 stubborn. Not sure if it would be worth all the points in the unit though. As well that 3 maneaters and hero is alot to put down in one place. But if it works.

skavenguy13
04-10-2005, 22:22
What about putting a butcher in the maneater unit? He'd flee a lot less easily that way AND it would make more hits/wounds when maneaters would charge. The only problem I see with that is he's easier to target without taht look-out gnoblar.

Avian
05-10-2005, 10:53
To be honest, when I take Maneaters I want wall-to-wall brutality and I'm not going to stick an underachieving Butcher in there with his whimpy 3 WS3 S4 attacks. :D

Personally I usually stick one Butcher in my largest Bull unit and give him the Skullmantle and often also the Laurels. That makes him good at supporting the unit and he gets a rather safe place to hide.