PDA

View Full Version : Embarassingly awful sequels?

The Guy
19-01-2008, 21:27
I was playing red faction [one of my fave games :p] until I got stuck [the science labs with 5 handgun bullets and very little health] So I decided to play red faction 2.
5 minutes in....
Man this game sucks.
I've played RF2 before and finished it twice. But only after playing the original have I actually realised how downright poor it is. I always new it was bad but didn't think it was be that bad.
So what sequels have you played that have been really disapointing?
Another one is call of duty 3. Haven't played cod2 but I've played big red one [another of my faves :p] so I guess it counts.

Damien 1427
19-01-2008, 21:28
Timesplitters - Future Perfect. A huge letdown with terrible online play.

god octo
19-01-2008, 21:46

I know what you mean- I played it and i thought it was so generic- it had lost that feeling of uncontrollable craziness. It just seemed so lifeless.

der_lex
19-01-2008, 22:25
I already mentioned this one in another thread: ActRaiser 2. Took all the good things of the first game, tossed them out, and kept only the paltform bits and made them crappier.

And I know I'll probably get flak for this but: Final Fantasy X and X-2.

X-2 is the most obvious perpetrator here, but compared to the SNES and PS1 games, FFX was a huge letdown. Yes, the graphics were pretty...but the gameplay was dumbed down (flying enemy? use Wakka. Fast enemy? use Tidus. Blob-thing? Use Lulu. Lather, rinse, repeat...the only thing that seemed to change about the enemies was their colour scheme), awful voice acting (the people who did Auron and Rikku were the only decent voice actors of the lot), the dullest villains in a FF game to date, extremely two dimensional, equally dull main characters (yes, Auron was cool...but mostly because he was the only character with something resembling a personality), a setting and plot that didn't grab me in any way, and blitzball, the most horrendous FF minigame to date (although 'dodge the lightning 100 times to get an ulmtimate weapon' was almost as bad). I finished X, but doing so felt like a damn chore near the end (fortunately the game's easy enough to breeze through rather quickly if you ignore the dark summons). X-2 didn't even deserve that... it ended up in the corner of my cupboard after a couple of play sessions.

Gaz
19-01-2008, 23:43
X-2 is the most obvious perpetrator here

Playing this game is the closest I have ever been to having to make a choice between murder or suicide. I enjoyed X, far from the best FF outing, but certainly not the worst.

I only finished X-2 to see what crappy ending there was...

/vomit.

So I told my missus to play it.

She put the game in and watched the intro. She then quickly removed the game from the console, bundled it into the fireplace with a pile of old bills and used the good old cleansing fire to deal with this particular stain on existence.

feelnopain666
20-01-2008, 00:40
Its probably heresy, but I was disapointed with Half-life 2.
I think the original have a better atmosphere (I like small closed spaçes), and was more terrifying. the only thing in favor of HL2 are the grafics and history.

dr.oetk3r
20-01-2008, 00:42
I think the original have a better atmosphere (I like small closed spaçes), and was more terrifying. the only thing in favor of HL2 are the grafics and history.

Shame, i really liked Half-Life 2. Oh well, to each his own.

Halo 2, huge disapoitment, halo 3 was no angel either...

Nephilim of Sin
20-01-2008, 01:05
...(the people who did Auron and Rikku were the only decent voice actors of the lot)....

The funny thing is, the voice actress for Rikku is the same for Bubbles from Power Puff Girls. I mentioned this to one of my friend's who had a 'thing' for Rikku....he was never the same.

I do agree on the other points; the pinnacle of the FF series was FF III (VI). It was poetic and beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought the targeting and controls were incredibly improved, as was the mapmaker. However, I never played it online, only with friends (which was always a blast), so I have no clue about that. The local multiplayer, plus the graphics, were definitely better though.

I do think that the story mode lost a lot of the elements that made the first two great. The entire time I was playing it, I just felt something lacking (except for the 'horror levels', especially the shirt of the female!).

For my sequel, it has to be GH III. Of course, I started a thread as to why I think the second one was the superior in the series.

Bombot
20-01-2008, 01:53

I think Half-Life was better for its time. It was a revelation. Half-Life 2 is 'merely' very good. But it's certainly not embarassingly awful.

Cade
20-01-2008, 01:55
Command and Conquer 3.

Complete rubbish. It was the same game as the other two but with nicer graphics. Booooooring.

Cade
20-01-2008, 01:56
Sim City Societies.

IT ISN'T A SIM CITY GAME IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!

der_lex
20-01-2008, 02:25
The funny thing is, the voice actress for Rikku is the same for Bubbles from Power Puff Girls. I mentioned this to one of my friend's who had a 'thing' for Rikku....he was never the same.

I do agree on the other points; the pinnacle of the FF series was FF III (VI). It was poetic and beautiful.

Well, the voice acting in the Powerpuff girls is generally good for a kids' show, so that doesn't surprise me.
As for my favourite FF, I'm torn between VI and IV... IV will always be dear to me because it was the first FF game I really played (I actually played the first one on the NES, but didn't really get into it). I'm eagerly awaiting the DS re-release (with shiny new graphics! Yay!) to see how well the story and gameplay have withstood the test of time.

For my sequel, it has to be GH III. Of course, I started a thread as to why I think the second one was the superior in the series.

Since it's the first one I've played, I rather like 3...especially since I think the track list is a lot better than that of the previous installments. I've come around to your way of thinking on boss battles, though, because of the #@*! battle against Lou on Hard...I've started playing on Expert simply because that battle was annoying me so much. After seeing video's, I'm convinced that Rock Band will blow it out of the water, though. Still praying for a swift Wii release for that one...

Dirty Fingers
20-01-2008, 04:10
The FEAR files (i know they're expansions, not sequels really, but they still sucked)

Manhunt 2 (much of it for the needless censorship)

All the Twisted Metal games between Twisted Metal 2 and Twisted Metal Black

Devil May Cry 2

Drogmir
20-01-2008, 04:48
Civilization 4

I don't know why but they seemed to have dumbed it down where compared to Civilization 3

mistformsquirrel
20-01-2008, 05:45
Samurai Warriors 2 imho >.<;

The first, for the PS2, I enjoyed immensely. I'm a nihonophile <'x'> so being able to run around as a samurai (even a barely-customized one) was great fun for me... it also had some great voices (for a Dynasty Warriors game)...

Then Samurai Warriors 2 - Got rid of all the good voice acting; dropped the ability to make custom characters, the controls felt too loose, and the enemies felt inordinately hard to me. <-.->; I didn't play it long... it was like going from "Ahh, this is fun!" to "AAAAAHHH GET IT AWAAAAAY"

(Then again, I'm *terrible* about needing to customize characters; which is why most JRPGs don't hold me long - the plots can be great, the characters interesting... but I need to be 'me' for some reason. FPS' since I can't see (or usually hear) myself, I can get around this <'x'>)

pwrgmrguard
20-01-2008, 06:07
Half Life and Half life 2.

i have one problem with the games that mena i will never play them.

GORDON FREEMAN NEVER TALKS!

Killmaimburn
20-01-2008, 08:44
Deus Ex 1 - Deus ex 2,
Some might say its an unfair entry, as I really only gave the sequel about 15 minutes. But the first (one of my favourite games) had lots of modd ability, weapon style upgrades, body part replacement all customisable (making you feel like you had a load of freedom)etc etc All of which seemed to be removed. As the original was a great PC game ,the sequel was some generic multiplatform trash which got rid of a lot of the subtler movement controls. The music having gone from brooding went to simplified unimaginative stuff. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if any of the conspiracy theories were any good.

Dungeon siege 1 - 2.
2 Was a massive backwards step and was just basically diablo 3 (not a bad thing, if it was 10 years earlier). Walk click until dead move on.

Dungeon keeper 1-2
I know the world will smack me down for this. But I miss those 13 or so creature types they removed and a few of the rooms they ditched. I appreciated that with the 60 mb update they released just before vanishing they added that spider lady thing and that the style graphics and tactics improved... But when I dig through the archives for which game to play I dig out 1 use the d3d patch and slow my processor down till it works rather than play 2. (The music to 1 kicks butt, too and we have it one sometimes in the background of our games).
Probably a whole host more, but those are the ones that wake me up at night:angel:
Monkey island 4 just for not being monkey island 2:p......
(starcraft 2 just because its taking so long to appear, dungeon keeper 3 same reason times a billion, I remember the teaser trailer that used to exist for it of a fluffy bunny on a teletubbies hill, and the reaper walking up behind it and cutting the bunnies head off all to nice nursery style music- or at least thats what my brain tells me I saw about 10 years back ;)The blokes who wrote that were merged into the team who were making the harry potter games yeeuk!)

superknijn
20-01-2008, 09:02
But, I like Dungeon Siege 2. Its main strength is that it's basicly Diablo 3, especcialy with it's dark entrails-smeared-over-bloody-chapel-expansion. Diablo 2 is an awesome game to play still, and it's a good thing that people try to approach its unholy magnificence.

Battle for Middle Earth 2. The first game was a let-own. The second game less so, and could've been rather apprecible, if it didn't crash all the time, even with the expansion. I mean, I got the best PC available (exactly one year ago), bought this game, and then proceeeded to almost tear my eyes out out of frustration. Just, AAAAARGH!

Burnthem
20-01-2008, 09:31
FFIX was a huge letdown for me, i'd finished the sheer awesomeness of FFVIII a few months before and was eagerly looking forward to the next one....

Oh dear.......

The Guy
20-01-2008, 10:32
Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby.
Gold,Silver,Red,Blue and yellow were all awesome. But then these two came along and were basically the same story with new areas and new pathetic pokemon that sucked.

Damien 1427
20-01-2008, 11:11
Really? I thought the targeting and controls were incredibly improved, as was the mapmaker. However, I never played it online, only with friends (which was always a blast), so I have no clue about that. The local multiplayer, plus the graphics, were definitely better though.

Eh, the controls made no odds to me, but the mapmaker did feel a lot more constrained. The vehicles added nothing, and a lot of my favourite weapons seemed to have been axed. Also, I preferred the original tilesets, in particular the steampunk one. It had some good music (Scotland the Brave and Zeppelin), but nowhere near as good as Timespitters 2.

The online multiplayer wasn't, as you'd imagine, X-Box Live, but via EA's own crappy knockoff.

Oh, and I'll throw in Monkey Island 4. Not as funny, and the controls were an utter chore.

MadJackMcJack
20-01-2008, 14:19
Masters of Orion 3. 'nuff said.

vcassano
20-01-2008, 14:22
Deus Ex 2 wasn't actually that bad. If it hadn't been part of the Deux Ex franchise it would have been lauded as a good, 80% game. But alas the abysmal opening sections, the comparisons to the original and the ammo make it so hated.

Another one is call of duty 3. Haven't played cod2 but I've played big red one [another of my faves :p] so I guess it counts.

3 is only a sequel in name: it was outsourced to Treyarch and so was not an Infinity Ward game and by my own definition, is therefore not a Call of Duty game.

Chainsofsigil
20-01-2008, 14:56
Command and Conquer 3.

Complete rubbish. It was the same game as the other two but with nicer graphics. Booooooring.

EA Games...******* up everything

Their new slogan!

Bubble Ghost
20-01-2008, 15:16
Mario Kart 64. The work of Satan himself.

Hicks
20-01-2008, 16:59
Soul Calibur 3, the first 2 and even soul edge were way better. The game play sucked, character balance was thrown out the window and the new costumes were terrible.

Tekken 4, the gameplay for Tekken 3 was excellent, now battles were decided by weither or not you stepped on a rock.

Samurai Shodown 5, the characters aren't as cool as the old ones, not enough moves, fights are very short because even a tiny kick drains a huge chunk of your life.

Neknoh
20-01-2008, 16:59
Have to say Battle for Middle Earth 2, it went from being unique in it's design (the defined base-area) into Yet Another Strategy Game... but with some powers on the side.

Massive dissapointment if you ask me

theunwantedbeing
20-01-2008, 17:51
Red faction 2.
Right....I've written out page upon page of how much this game was a letdown, so instead of writing that I'll just put:
Red faction 2 took everything awesome and brilliant about Red faction, and swapped it for higher polygon count worlds and shiner effects.

Although the multi-player is decent, as a mindless FPS on the levels where you cant blow anything up(well nearly nothing...which is most levels)

Pokemon Yellow was the best pokemon, simply down to pikachu wandering around the world with you, sadly that wasnt carried on and the world was just made bigger with more of the damned things to catch.

The pestilent 1
20-01-2008, 18:12
Command and Conquer 3.

C&C was never marketed as being revolutionary, it was marketed at being a bloody fast paced game.
Which it is.

Then again, EA is apparently the Devil so whatever.

The_Dragon_Rising
20-01-2008, 20:42
FFXII. I have loved all of the FF games i have played (9+10) and all of the others are apparently 5* as well. However 12 sucks in a way that i thought a game couldn't, even as a big fan i could not force myself to finish the game something which has happened only with about 1 in 20 games with me (most recently assassins creed....so....boring)

DonkeyMan
20-01-2008, 21:39
Warcraft III > World of Warcraft (more looking at the fluff then at the gameplay).

WCIII had such a great story (okay not really that great but good and most importantly consistent) and WoW just fecked everything up.
It's all about item-hunting and the Story turns are ridiculous.

The whole Warcraft Fluff is a joke by now.

der_lex
20-01-2008, 21:52
FFIX was a huge letdown for me, i'd finished the sheer awesomeness of FFVIII a few months before and was eagerly looking forward to the next one....

Oh dear.......

Interesting...I actually felt VIII was a bit of a letdown (rather bland characters, the annoying draw system, and the storyline was too much of a soap opera even for FF standards), but I adored IX. Then again, my favourite FF games are the SNES ones, and FF IX was a bit of a step back to those...more of a classic fantasy setting, the return of a lot of the classic character models (black mages, etc), and finally a main character who's not a depressed whiny douche, but is a bit more happy-go-lucky in nature. Granted, tying learning skills to equipment wasn't too deep, but for me it worked, because the game was trying (and succeeding ) in being fun. That, and Quina is possibly the best Final Fantasy character ever.

I guess the main characters and the setting are an important part of whether I enjoy a FF game or not. IV, VI, VII, IX and XII are all good in that department, VIII was meh, and I've already made my thoughts on X and X-2 clear enough. I can see people disliking XII because of the gameplay changes, but they didn't bother me too much because I enjoyed the characters, story and setting (have yet to finfor that have demanded more of my gaming time).

I kinda second Tekken, simply because there seem to be no gameplay improvements whatsoever in the new games. Tekken Tag is still my personal favourite in the series, because of the large amount of characters, the excellent tag system, and Tekken Bowl, which was a blast to play with friends. THe newer games are all a bit too samey, though.

Yorkiebar
20-01-2008, 22:20
Only game that springs to mind is Fallout 3. You don't even need to play it to see what a let-down it is.

BarbedHawk
20-01-2008, 22:29
Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby.
Gold,Silver,Red,Blue and yellow were all awesome. But then these two came along and were basically the same story with new areas and new pathetic pokemon that sucked.

I felt I'd be too nerdy for saying something, but someone said it for me! :D

Although I don't think ruby and sappire sucked, they were no way near as good as the first lot. The latest two are, in my opinion, made of awesome though.

Oh, and I loved the 4th timesplitters, although I felt the story mode was lacking in the case of co-op, and the crazy ass things you could do with your friends on TS2's maps didn't seem as evident. Otherwise I loved it.

As for FF, I've only played 9, 10 and 12. I loved 9, liked 10 and loved 12, although not as much as 9.

Nephilim of Sin
21-01-2008, 04:11
...Since it's the first one I've played, I rather like 3...especially since I think the track list is a lot better than that of the previous installments. I've come around to your way of thinking on boss battles, though, because of the #@*! battle against Lou on Hard...I've started playing on Expert simply because that battle was annoying me so much. After seeing video's, I'm convinced that Rock Band will blow it out of the water, though. Still praying for a swift Wii release for that one...

The songlist is great, I just wish they would make some GH2 songs available for download (Freebird!). The only thing that I don't like was needless changes, mainly with the graphics. Which is a grief with games in general:

They take something that works, everyone loves, and everyone is used to, then they decide to 'spruce' it up so that it is no longer recognizable. I hate that.

On the Rockband front, I will be honest in that the most joy comes from playing with others. And the hammers are barely distinguishable from the notes. However, the track list....ah...great.

...All the Twisted Metal games between Twisted Metal 2 and Twisted Metal Black

TM3 and 4 are twisted abominations that I have purged from my memory. Didn't they go down a more 'kid' friendly route with those? I think I played them for about an hour, then threw them away.

Interesting...I actually felt VIII was a bit of a letdown (rather bland characters, the annoying draw system, and the storyline was too much of a soap opera even for FF standards)...

Agreed. I stopped playing FFVIII when the first disc was done. I did think that the 'magic draw' system was interesting, and the opening cinematic was beautiful. But that 'awe' stopped once I started getting into it.

I kinda second Tekken, simply because there seem to be no gameplay improvements whatsoever in the new games. Tekken Tag is still my personal favourite in the series, because of the large amount of characters, the excellent tag system, and Tekken Bowl, which was a blast to play with friends. THe newer games are all a bit too samey, though.

On break at work, I wasted so many quarters on that game that they had to call the repairman to fix the joystick. We would go and break, race to the game, and play for fifteen minutes. I have yet to have a game that has done that for me (Blitz was a close second). I still occasionally play Tag, although it is hard to find people here that play 'old-gen' games anymore.

It was also the first game I bought when I got my PS2; the second was Timesplitters.

As for more sequels:

The newer NFL Blitz: The League: I liked the old style and comedic feel of blitz, which was the only reason I would ever play a sports game. I tried the League once. Hated it.

Tomorrow Never Dies (N64): Was in no was, shape, or form a good game, especially compared to Golden Eye. Luckily, there was Perfect Dark.

Monster Rancher (3+4): Perhaps one of the most innovated games I had played when it came out. Never played two, as I have still yet to beat one, but I tried the other ones and they seemed to lose the 'soul' of the game.

WLBjork
21-01-2008, 04:21
Only game that springs to mind is Fallout 3. You don't even need to play it to see what a let-down it is.

But it hasn't been released yet Yorkie. How do you know it will be a let down?

dr.oetk3r
21-01-2008, 04:33
EA Games...******* up everything

Their new slogan!

*Laughs* So true.

Nazguire
21-01-2008, 05:57
FFXII. I have loved all of the FF games i have played (9+10) and all of the others are apparently 5* as well. However 12 sucks in a way that i thought a game couldn't, even as a big fan i could not force myself to finish the game something which has happened only with about 1 in 20 games with me (most recently assassins creed....so....boring)

I hear this from a few people and being someone who has played most of the FF games and finished number XII, I can't see why. The story was, whilst not some epic story that had more plot twists then barbed wire, was fun and enjoyable, like Star Wars. Combat was fun.

Yeah, fun. Random battles suck. Suck lots. It destroys all immersion into the world. It annoys the player who just wants to get to the next area or explore the region without every few steps thrust into a battle.
I like turn based battles. They have a tactical element to them that real-time don't and never will. But my God did I hate the random battles of all the series before XII.
Graphics were great, the voice acting was superb (Balthier is awesome) and it was presented extremely well. The world was of a sufficient size and depth to allow for some genuine attachment to it (though I never felt for the characters like I did for Yuna, Auron, Tidus and the rest in FFX and all of them in FF7)

It was in no way embarrassingly awful.

Typheron
21-01-2008, 09:11
Deus Ex 1 - Deus ex 2,
Some might say its an unfair entry, as I really only gave the sequel about 15 minutes.

No thats totally fair, Deus Ex 2 sucked, and sucked hard. The best example is the final island battle which is a return to the statue of liberty. In the frst game you could wander over the whole island. In the 2nd it was split in half with loading points thansk to the game engine being all show and no oomph.

Modding system was gutted, as was most of the RPG elements that made the first fun and the use of universal ammo clips was annoying, especially when the sniper rifle just ate them up. Also no dart gun at start, i like making the silent, non lethal, takedown!

Everything that made the first game excellent was torn out.

Red Faction 2 - for all the reasons mentioned already.

the sequals to Earth 2150 that just added units and took oout the enviromental stuff. I liked snow storms.

Bombot
21-01-2008, 09:15
I propose Frontier: Elite 2. I played that thing for ages before realising nothing fun was actually going to happen :(

The loading times were what really screwed up Deus Ex 2. Without them the game wouldn't have been as good as Deus Ex, but it would have been quite reasonable. As it was, it became painful to play.

Killmaimburn
21-01-2008, 09:42
I propose Frontier: Elite 2. I played that thing for ages before realising nothing fun was actually going to happen :(

You mean you couldn't just go left and have a fight with big fat furry felines near reidquat's moon?(Yeah thats right I just went 1984 bbc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game))micro on your butts) -I didn't play the sequel much just because I prefered the graphics being all black and white lines, the coloured blocks killed the 3d for me:D and that laucnh music hurt my head. I did like its eventual successor (or what I like to think of as its successor in free roaming space simy ness) freelancer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_%28computer_game%29) with its incredible geek mod for star wars and star trek stuff all over the shop.(a must mod if there ever was one)

darkstar
21-01-2008, 10:17
Warcraft 3. Take all the good bits and story of Warcraft 2 and throw it all out for a herocraft/money spinning clickfest.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. It may have only been a sequel in name, but why sully the classic RTS grinder with a bad fantasy game?

C&C Renegade. Seriously, what the hell?

Freelancer. This is an entirely unfair entry, since freelancer isn't a bad game, but after playing starlancer, I felt distinctly cheated.

Bombot
21-01-2008, 10:47
You mean you couldn't just go left and have a fight with big fat furry felines near reidquat's moon?(Yeah thats right I just went 1984 bbc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(computer_game))micro on your butts)

The BBC Micro version was the best one, with the possible exception of the Archimedes version, but my dad's Archimedes was too powerful to play it (long story) so I don't know for a fact.

Basically, Elite 2 was realistic. Realism makes for a dull space combat game. There was no tension whatsoever - you either wiped out anything that faced you or some opponent got a lucky high power-beam laser hit on you and you died in seconds. It was an impressive simulator, but as a game it was rubbish.

RobC
21-01-2008, 10:50
I propose Frontier: Elite 2. I played that thing for ages before realising nothing fun was actually going to happen :(For me it's the exact opposite. Frontier and Frontier: First Encounters effectively ate what little free time I had in my early teens that wasn't consumed already by GW and reading. They're not to everyone's taste (free-form gaming can be a little dissatisfying, but no more than The Sims), but they're certainly not awful by any stretch.

The Gothic Me
21-01-2008, 11:12
As was said before; C&C3

It was horrible to see the way EA ripped the very heart and soul out of the series that made me a gamer in the first place, and replaced it with some flashy graphic and 'fast' game play, which basically meant tank rushing every time.

Bombot
21-01-2008, 11:30
For me it's the exact opposite. Frontier and Frontier: First Encounters effectively ate what little free time I had in my early teens that wasn't consumed already by GW and reading.

Oh I spent a long time on the game, which is probably why I'm bitter about it :D

Reinnon
21-01-2008, 12:07
interesting, some people seem to hate the games i found quite enjoyable again :)

FFX was imo: one of the better final fantasys in terms of story and gameplay. It was good old fashioned action with some nice twists (changing party mid combat was a big improvement)

FF12: easily the best in terms of gamesplay as they got the combat system working so well, storyline was a bit of a letdown i admit

FF9: the worst of the lot but only because square wasn't consistant with it. The first half of the game was perhaps the best moment of Final Fantasy ever made, a pity they didn't keep up the good work.

Ta kingdoms: while nothing compared with the real TA i found Zhon to be one of the best ideas for an race ever - great game.

Ok, now people are going to diagree with me but each to their own. My list for worst sequals are:

1) Devil may Cry 2: compared to the original it was crap - first time i did it i didn't die once. The joy of Devil may cry 1 + 3 is that they make you work for it. DMC2 was a poor POOR blip in an otherwise aswesome series.

2) Final Fantasy 9: For reasons already given

3) Dungeon Kepper Two: don't get me wrong Dungeon Keeper 2 was a great game. But it just lacked something from Dungeon Keeper one - the first one was far better.

3) Icewind Dale expasnion pack: not really a sequal but the total lack of content for Winter Heart was really disappointing.

Burnthem
21-01-2008, 12:28
I didnt like FFXII for the one and only reason of the complete and utter rip off of both the story and the characters from the original Star Wars trilogy. They didnt even take it as inspiration, it was just directly copied and the names were changed, for example -

Baltheir - Han Solo
Penelo/The princess - Princess Leia
Vaan - Luke
Basch (sp?) - Obi Wan Kenobi

etc etc etc. once i'd made this connection it just completely put me off the game.

Nephilim of Sin
21-01-2008, 12:42
Warcraft 3. Take all the good bits and story of Warcraft 2 and throw it all out for a herocraft/money spinning clickfest...

The part that lost it for me was when they decided to take out the Burning Legion as a playable race. They advertised that for how many years?

I am glad someone else agrees here in respect to Warcraft 3. For me, there were too many game mechanics that changed, and I honestly just did not find it enjoyable, at all. After playing Starcraft and Diablo II (and respective expansions), I guess I was just expecting too much out of the game.

This is what I also fear about Starcraft II. IMO, this should be around the fourth Starcraft game, with the way it has had to change in order to stand up to the competition. Too many 'improvements', both graphically and with the game mechanics, might make it not be a Starcraft game to me at all, because of the technological leap they have had to do. Were things done timely, with proper timeframes for sequels, then this is the point we should be at. Here's hoping....

Killmaimburn
21-01-2008, 13:17
Whoopsie, removed so I don't break rule 9, I thought It was odd that I was 117. Curse you strange release laws (read more here (http://www.the-underdogs.info/faq.php#a5))

Killgore
21-01-2008, 13:24
Sonic Adventure 2 on the dreamcast

i loved Sonic adventure 1 to bits, fantastic game, 6 different characters with different play styles, fun fast levels and extras to find and unlock with a brilliant final boss level

Sonic adventure 2 was pure rubbish, far to many instant death bits in levels, 6 characters, a good 3 and a 'evil' 3 which are exactly the same play style as their counter-part... how boring.

i guess another game that was abit rubbish is Unreal II. It just dosnt compaire to the original even with the better graffics.

Halo2 i was very disapointed with, fighting brutes for half the game got incredably boring.

The Guy
21-01-2008, 15:59
Sonic heroes?. The biggest piece of dog pie I've ever bought.

Stronghold 2. And no not because it hardly works on my PC :mad: But they completely changed the feel of it. It just turned into another RTS. Stronghold 1 was so much better and they didn't sacrifice gameplay for graphics.

Ratchet: Gladiator. It just was nowhere near as good as any of the others.

vcassano
21-01-2008, 16:38
Interesting...I actually felt VIII was a bit of a letdown (rather bland characters, the annoying draw system, and the storyline was too much of a soap opera even for FF standards), but I adored IX. Then again, my favourite FF games are the SNES ones, and FF IX was a bit of a step back to those...more of a classic fantasy setting, the return of a lot of the classic character models (black mages, etc), and finally a main character who's not a depressed whiny douche, but is a bit more happy-go-lucky in nature. Granted, tying learning skills to equipment wasn't too deep, but for me it worked, because the game was trying (and succeeding ) in being fun. That, and Quina is possibly the best Final Fantasy character ever.

It is funny first time I played through VIII I enjoyed it a lot, not quite VII but it was good and found IX slightly disappointing. However having returned to the Final Fantasy games with the brilliant PSP emulation my opinion of the two has changed. Partly this may be down to the fact I hadn’t played the pre-Playstation games but mainly because I am older and I don’t tolerate **** in games anymore.

Bizarrely though my opinions on why are somewhat contradictory to yours. I found the characters of VIII vastly superior – I especially enjoyed Squall’s Shakespeare-lite soliloquies – and Zell was fairly interesting. Admittedly the lack of side-quests fleshing out characters like Seplhie, Zell and Quisis was jarring as was a genuinely awful script though that’s hardly exclusive to VIII (See Dragon Quest VIII for a superbly written/translated script). IX’s characters aren’t my favourite – Quina was just an abomination and I didn’t like how Zidane was just completely unaffected by all that happened to him. Steiner and Vivi were excellent, especially Steiner who is the best-written Final Fantasy character, although not necessarily my favourite.

The combat in IX was good if a little generic but compared to VIII it was brilliant. I liked the “junctioning” system but my god the draws were an awful idea and you really should have been able to swap what has been drawn between party members in the menu. Also the hugely self-indulgent Guardian Force sequences furthered the irritation. Lastly the use of proper CD quality music in battles and the menu made the fades to and from random encounters so slow that they became so intensely frustrating I had to give up my replay.

I hear this from a few people and being someone who has played most of the FF games and finished number XII, I can't see why. The story was, whilst not some epic story that had more plot twists then barbed wire, was fun and enjoyable, like Star Wars. Combat was fun.

Yeah, fun. Random battles suck. Suck lots. It destroys all immersion into the world. It annoys the player who just wants to get to the next area or explore the region without every few steps thrust into a battle.
I like turn based battles. They have a tactical element to them that real-time don't and never will. But my God did I hate the random battles of all the series before XII.
Graphics were great, the voice acting was superb (Balthier is awesome) and it was presented extremely well. The world was of a sufficient size and depth to allow for some genuine attachment to it (though I never felt for the characters like I did for Yuna, Auron, Tidus and the rest in FFX and all of them in FF7)

It was in no way embarrassingly awful.

The combat system in XII is just too different for me. I like being able to get the lackeys to follow orders (Gambits I believe they were called?) but I would prefer it if they were turn based – basically Dragon Quest VIII’s battle style.

Again referencing the mighty DQ, but the voice acting really grated in comparison. Truly Dragon Quest VIII is a masterpiece, that is unless something goes horribly wrong in the end-game.

XII definitely wasn’t a bad game, unlike X, I can see that but I just felt no reason to continue in it even though I really want to. Perhaps it is because the end goal is revealed so early. Perhaps the combat…

No thats totally fair, Deus Ex 2 sucked, and sucked hard. The best example is the final island battle which is a return to the statue of liberty. In the frst game you could wander over the whole island. In the 2nd it was split in half with loading points thansk to the game engine being all show and no oomph.

Modding system was gutted, as was most of the RPG elements that made the first fun and the use of universal ammo clips was annoying, especially when the sniper rifle just ate them up. Also no dart gun at start, i like making the silent, non lethal, takedown!

Everything that made the first game excellent was torn out.

The problems with Invisible War were:

1. Ammo.
2. Loading Times
3. An atrocious opening act

Besides them it was a good game and especially in Cairo I was reminded a lot of Deus Ex which was a great feeling.

Nazguire
22-01-2008, 00:20
[quote=vcassano;2281318]

XII definitely wasn’t a bad game, unlike X, I can see that but I just felt no reason to continue in it even though I really want to. Perhaps it is because the end goal is revealed so early. Perhaps the combat…

[quote]

You thought FFX was a bad game? How? Why?

The general reasons for criticising games such as soundtrack, visuals, gameplay, plot and mechanics don't really apply to FFX. The soundtrack was arguably Nomatsu's best, especially the Return to Zanarkand theme.
The visuals were just gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. It had a cinematic quality to it that no other FF game has to it. FFXII has some moments that are stunning (such as going to the Dynast-King's tomb for the first time, I thought whoa!) but compared to FFX, it has no where near.
The characters were beautifully devised, those like Auron and Yuna, especially once you found out more and more about their history, their thoughts and motives and beliefs. The voice acting (asides the woeful lip synching) was great.
Asides from random battles (aargh) which I hate with a passion, the battles and Sphere grid was functional, simple and good to get into. Switching party members mid battle allowed for a battle that wasn't teetering on the edge once you lost one member and allowed for the bosses to become harder and require co-ordination of all your members..
And the plot was just whoa...

What do you disagree with there?:)

Shamfrit
22-01-2008, 01:11
I'm with Nazquire on this. Although, initially, upon playing Final Fantasy 7 I didn't think I'd ever find a game that would best it, RPG or otherwise. Then I played Final Fantasy 8, which at the time, to me, was the most breathtaking and life changing opening sequence I'd ever seen (, still to be bested by Square, as far as I'm concerned). The realism of the characters in terms of their problems lent itself alot!

Then came the current favorite Final Fantasy game i've played to date, in terms of style, gameplay, character, plot, intensity and music (, You're Not Alone still remains one of the most powerful pieces which actually suits the moment, and the ONE moment it's used!) A medieval yet modern Gothic world, with vast ruins, world traveling (, something sorely missed from Final Fantasy on the whole) that surpassed everything that had been before it only being contested by the ingenious characters of Final Fantasy 6...

Then Final Fantasy 10 came along and did exactly, the same, thing.

Then I played 12, and did, in many ways, feel let down. The combat system was incredibly beyond itself, and I enjoyed fighting in this game because, for the most part you had the choice to fight, or run, and it made a little bit of me excited each time I knew an Earth Tyrant type greater was shuddering immediately behind me...when there's no health...

The character design is the best here, it's the drawing part - a solid story behind Vaan...is ALL it has, however. The ending is the weakest, loosest letting go of what could have been, potentially the best of all.

However saying that, the FMV sequences in Final Fantasy 9, the Cetra Whirlwind falling, Odin destroying the Tree, all of them containing Bahamut or Alexander, Kuja...they're hard to beat, so my vote's for Final Fantasy 12.

Because, although it's an absolutely fantastic game, 90% rating and over, it just let everything before it down by the bucketful.

(That's my 2am rant over with, I can sleep easy now lol.)

der_lex
22-01-2008, 01:18

The characters were beautifully devised, those like Auron and Yuna, especially once you found out more and more about their history, their thoughts and motives and beliefs. The voice acting (asides the woeful lip synching) was great.
Asides from random battles (aargh) which I hate with a passion, the battles and Sphere grid was functional, simple and good to get into. Switching party members mid battle allowed for a battle that wasn't teetering on the edge once you lost one member and allowed for the bosses to become harder and require co-ordination of all your members..

What do you disagree with there?:)

All of the above, to be honest. I've already mentioned earlier in the thread that, Auron and Rikku aside, I don't think the voice acting is all that great. It's not 'intro to Resident Evil on the PS1'-bad, but most voices are pretty bland... Then again, for me, that pretty much sums up the main cast of FFX. Tidus and Yuna were two characters defined by the fact that they both lived in their father's shadow. That's a fine concept...but their journey to crawl out from under that shadow was about as far as their character development went. Add to the fact that they were both rather whiny, and I tired of them pretty quickly. As for the side characters...Wakka, Kimahri and Rikku were little more than stereotypes of their particular race/faction, and didn't grow at all. Lulu...Lulu didn't have any plot besides 'my lover died'. Auron was pretty cool, I grant you that...but I wonder how much of that was because of the way the dullness of the others made him stand out.

As for the plot...it isn't bad by any means, but, like the rather sunny, cheery graphical style, it didn't grab me. That's mainly, of course, because I didn't empathize with the characters much, and because FFX lacked a good villain. Sin was too abstract a threat (the best villains have some degree of humanity, IMO) and Seymour just didn't make any impression whatsoever...he seemed to have been made from all the worst bits of previous effeminate FF villains, without the qualities that made them interesting. The only thing I like about the plot and setting was the philosophical questions about the soul and the afterlife, but that wasn't enough to keep me interested.

That brings me to my last point, gameplay. I like the ability to switch characters in and out, but not when it leads to a rather simplistic approach to combat, like I explained earlier. That and the sphere grid is too easy to abuse...at a certain point in the game, Yuna won every battle single-handedly...without using any summons whatsoever. The only time I actually died in a battle was when I bumped into a dark summon by accident when I was far from ready. Optional bosses in FF games are always tough...but those in the main quest were utter pushovers. Add to that the downright annoying mini-games you need to play to get the ultimate weapons, and that pretty much sums up why I think X is the worst of the bunch. Pretty, yes, but rather shallow.

darkstar
22-01-2008, 01:26
I am glad someone else agrees here in respect to Warcraft 3. For me, there were too many game mechanics that changed, and I honestly just did not find it enjoyable, at all.
I spent £7 on it, and still maintain that it was the worst £7 I ever spent. I still have it, and the baleful orc eye stares out at me occasionally reminding me of the vagaries of impulse purchases.

Outlaw289
22-01-2008, 01:39
Sim City Societies.

IT ISN'T A SIM CITY GAME IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!

YEAH ITS A SOCIETY GAME IMAGINE THAT

It made the city building part easy so you could concentrate more on the cultural and social aspects of it

Nephilim of Sin
22-01-2008, 01:45
I agree with Der_Lex mostly on this. When I first played the game, I was completely into it, despite most of the gripes I heard or read. However, midway through the game, I was only playing it to beat it. A few points that lost it for me:

The whiny blond kid, who happens to be the savior of the world, has the daddy issues only to find that you have to fight your father at the end, and of course you wish you could redeem him. Too Star Wars for me. The rest of the characters (except Auron) were just 'eh'.

Blitzball. On so many levels, this was the most annoying gimmick. They tried here, and it was ambitious, but it failed.

Seymour was horrible. He couldn't even qualify as the red-headed stepchild of Kefka. No style, no flair. He just seemed to be an afterthought.

Lack of romance. You can flirt with every girl, and at one point 'choose' which girl you want to be with, but end up with Yuna, well, sort of.

The Sphere Grid. I know there were different versions of the game released with different Sphere Grid set-ups, but the one I had was horrible.

The fact that you had to play the game twice to understand the dialogue, because of the Al-Bhed system reading into your save file to see if you collected all the books. There is no way I would want to play this game twice, unlike FFVI.

All that being said, the cinematics were awesome. My favorite was still the Yuna rescue, when everyone is riding down the cables of the airship. That was great. As well, I actually preferred being able to switch people out. The way it was done in some of the earlier games was a bit disappointing. Of course, at least I did beat this one, as opposed to FFVIII, which I stopped after the first disc.

Reinnon
22-01-2008, 11:57
Final Fantasy 10 seems to be the one that people disagree most, i found the storyline refreshing compared to the last three. Tidue wasn't a bad main character in many ways he is one of the better ones (compared to vaan and in some ways Squall) the only annoying thing about him was the weak romance between him and yuna - there was more chemistry between him and Rikku and i'm not sure it was on purpose.

When i first played final fantasy 10 it was meh - when i restarted it and started to make use of all its options, do side quests (which i only discovered due to a guide - another fault was that they hide the side quests quite well) and pay attention to the story i soon started to enjoy the game.

It is not the best final fantasy - i still say the first CD of final fantasy 9 was the best in terms of character development and fights - in the way that it seemed to move quickly. But final fantasy 10 was a brave step forwards for square and i think they did it quite well.

wally
22-01-2008, 13:43
day of defeat sause

they took everything great from dod and turned it into a flashy toned down counter strike clone with less guns and worse hit reg

Promethius
22-01-2008, 16:40
Deus Ex 1 - Deus ex 2,
Some might say its an unfair entry, as I really only gave the sequel about 15 minutes. But the first (one of my favourite games) had lots of modd ability, weapon style upgrades, body part replacement all customisable (making you feel like you had a load of freedom)etc etc All of which seemed to be removed. As the original was a great PC game ,the sequel was some generic multiplatform trash which got rid of a lot of the subtler movement controls. The music having gone from brooding went to simplified unimaginative stuff. I didn't stick around long enough to find out if any of the conspiracy theories were any good.

QFT. The sequel felt like a dumbed down version of a brilliant game. Universal ammo was awful and made some weapons redundant. Constant loading points made some levels (the statue of liberty level already mentioned is a good example) overly long, complicated and boring. The lack of skills took away one of the really innovative aspects of the previous game. The whole thing was horrible.

C&C seem to have lost their magic - Generals was good, but the latest instalment added nothing to the series other than snazzy graphics IMO. The problem for me was that between C&C Generals & Tiberium Wars we had the release of Dawn of War, which (apart from being a 40K game) was so much better in terms of gameplay, and amplified all of the annoying things about C&C that I had forgotten, and which the latest instalment failed to solve (expensive infantry being run over by tanks with minimum effort; ore harvesters doing stupid things like driving into the enemy base to harvest ore unless carefully micro-managed, a slow and tedious process). Another huge disappointment.

vcassano
22-01-2008, 16:55

The general reasons for criticising games such as soundtrack, visuals, gameplay, plot and mechanics don't really apply to FFX. The soundtrack was arguably Nomatsu's best, especially the Return to Zanarkand theme.

I disagree, it was a tired, dull effort. If I listen to the soundtrack I don't recognise where the music was from but more importantly I don't enjoy it. In contrast if I listen to the VII soundtrack I recognise where every song is from and it evokes brilliant memories too.

The visuals were just gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. It had a cinematic quality to it that no other FF game has to it. FFXII has some moments that are stunning (such as going to the Dynast-King's tomb for the first time, I thought whoa!) but compared to FFX, it has no where near.

Meh. The visuals were nice but they can't improve the most important parts of the game - story and gameplay.

Well I found the characters incredibly annoying - Auron was interesting but even Quina would have been interesting here. That said I did like how the game ended in regards to Yuna and Tidus, not the X-2 ending though. In fact I struggle to even remember the characters' names let alone their back stories and I have a great memory.

As for the voice acting, well don't even go there. It was atrocious. I'll repeat this but Dragon Quest VIII has the best I have ever experienced in a game. I'd say Deus Ex's was good too but that's mainly gruff Americans, which admittedly fits its noir-ish style and then I recall the Hong Kong chaps.

Also I hate having my hero (a) not having my name and (b) having a stupid voice actor. In fact I'd much prefer the hero not to speak at all, a'la well you know what game I'll say, but that's not really something I'd expect of or overly complain about.

I found the combat way too slow and I hate being able to change party members as the combats are easy enough without constant changing of parties.

Well I disagree on this but I prefer the more modern based worlds like Deux Ex, VII and VIII. For example I really enjoyed the clear allusions to Global Warming/Nuclear Power in FFVII as it is something that affects ME. Although peculiarly the most interesting idea to come out of these allusions in Seven is that Barrett instigated the saving of the planet with his Avalanche activities and then as part of the WRO discovers oil... which will pollute the world which is something rarely touched upon in Advent Children but was perhaps the most interesting aspect of it. Guess I digressed a bit there...

HalfEvil333
22-01-2008, 19:23
Was I the only one that actually liked Blitzball? Yeah, it was simple and after a while overly easy, but it was a nice little distraction from the tedious random battles. As for the rest of FFX, I found the battle system to be good, though it had some flaws, and the graphics were good, but that was about it. The story was lacking and most of the characters were boring.

Anyway, back to the subject on hand, Star Control 3. I had thought it was an okay game, but after playing SC2, it became clear how much was lost between the two. The dialog was awfully written, taking all the previous races and making them bad impressions of their former selves, and all the new races were a joke. The main story became overly too epic, losing its charm and turned into a bad sci-fi novel, and almost all the side stories were literally ripped from SC2. The gameplay was terrible since almost all interaction was automated and any real action could be avoided through the dialog. There was also features that were pointless, like the colonization of planets, where not only was it not necessary, it was a disadvantage, since any Ur-Quan colony rebelled and you had to pay to free Doog colonies for some reason. In the end it is a disgustingly disappointing sequel.

His Master's Voice
24-01-2008, 20:52

Blasphemer! You WILL BURN! No matter what HL had HL2 have Alyx. Nuff said.

Doom 3 - the game was laughable.
Deus Ex 2 - what a piece of... nothing.

Arnizipal
24-01-2008, 21:58
C&C Renegade. Seriously, what the hell?

C&C Renegade being a sequel to what exactly?

As was said before; C&C3

It was horrible to see the way EA ripped the very heart and soul out of the series that made me a gamer in the first place, and replaced it with some flashy graphic and 'fast' game play, which basically meant tank rushing every time.
C&C were the creators of the tank rush gamer. Much as people hate to admit it that is the way to win and always has been since the original C&C. Only there it was less noticable because building units took ages and there was no such thing as gamebalance.
Just try and play a game of Tiberium Dawn multiplayer. By the time you have a sizable army you're an hour in the game so to speak. Besides, if you're NOD you'll lose automatically anyway because all your units are inferior to GDI's counterpart.

Don't get me wrong. Tiberium Dawn was awesome. But only on singleplayer.

(expensive infantry being run over by tanks with minimum effort
Yes, tanks running people over. How terribly unrealistic :rolleyes:

Steel_Legion
24-01-2008, 23:29
tbh if real life.. you jump the **** out the way... hate that about world in conflict, my infantry watch they they get run over!

Arnizipal
24-01-2008, 23:33
Well yeah, but in real life soldiers won't blindly run into machingun fire because their general ordered them too. There's a limit to the amount of free will an in-game soldier can have.

And also, tanks can drive a lot faster than soldiers can run. Sure you can dodge but sometimes you're just too slow (especially if it's a squad of tanks and there's no place to hide).

swordwind
25-01-2008, 01:52
I hate how they merged all the endings of Deus Ex into the timeline of Invisible War. Nevermind they were mutually exclusive (so you've become a God/Computer but you still join a human conspiracy to take over the world even though you can already control it though every computer on the planet and then you also destroy Area 51 in turn taking down every form of electronic communication including the internet you need to retain your God/Computer status?) they still found a way to merge them all. Does not compute!

Killmaimburn
25-01-2008, 06:52
Doom 3 - the game was laughable.

Not totally disagreeing but.. why (expand a bit?), I mean the first games were shoot stuff alot maybe occasionnally you have to get a key (plot?), look at grisly backdrop of mans guts on the wall (maybe hear a groan), complete game.How was 3 less than that (other than the ridiculously high spec it demanded until they fixed that stupid bit of code on first release (its total refusal to use ram), they even fixed the torch thing fairly quickly I think with an update (I want to see.. well then you can't shoot:wtf: they did fix that by the time it was too annoying, and it trained me in the arts of shooting without seeing, I have now completed a level of farcry where all the textures are broken and everything is blue(driver DX and shading conflict that I don't fix cos its funny), just through the training of doom3 torchlessness, 5th dan at FPSers)

His Master's Voice
25-01-2008, 09:14
Not totally disagreeing but.. why (expand a bit?), I mean the first games were shoot stuff alot maybe occasionnally you have to get a key (plot?), look at grisly backdrop of mans guts on the wall (maybe hear a groan), complete game.How was 3 less than that (other than the ridiculously high spec it demanded until they fixed that stupid bit of code on first release (its total refusal to use ram), they even fixed the torch thing fairly quickly I think with an update (I want to see.. well then you can't shoot:wtf: they did fix that by the time it was too annoying, and it trained me in the arts of shooting without seeing, I have now completed a level of farcry where all the textures are broken and everything is blue(driver DX and shading conflict that I don't fix cos its funny), just through the training of doom3 torchlessness, 5th dan at FPSers)

Doom 1 and 2 were genuinely scary way back in the days. I played Doom 3 right after finishing FEAR and there was no, and I mean no, comparison. Not that Doom is a bad game as a whole it's just a bad successor. And it really was more funny than scary. That's why I said laughable.

Gue'la Koholic
25-01-2008, 19:53
Seriously, have you people ever played Zelda 2? THAT is the worst sequel ever. Hands down. Cannot be topped for awfulness. I can find people that will defend a majority of these games you're deriding. Only the insane and the evil will stand up for Zelda 2.

Aelyn
25-01-2008, 20:30
Seriously, have you people ever played Zelda 2? THAT is the worst sequel ever. Hands down. Cannot be topped for awfulness. I can find people that will defend a majority of these games you're deriding. Only the insane and the evil will stand up for Zelda 2.
*puts up hand*

OK, it wasn't a Zelda game as we understand it now, and OK, it wasn't as good as the original Legend of Zelda. But it was still a decent game.

There've definitely been worse sequels I've played.

Promethius
25-01-2008, 21:02
Yes, tanks running people over. How terribly unrealistic :rolleyes:

There's a limit to how much realism should be allowed to affect gameplay. When units are completely worthless because of such a simple problem with game mechanics/balance you wonder why they were included in the first place.

Doom 1 and 2 were genuinely scary way back in the days. I played Doom 3 right after finishing FEAR and there was no, and I mean no, comparison. Not that Doom is a bad game as a whole it's just a bad successor. And it really was more funny than scary. That's why I said laughable.

Doom 3 suffered from the "no duct tape on Mars" special rule which was a bit stupid imo. Essentially it wasn't a bad game but it was never going to live up to the hype. When the darkness is so bad your eyes are hurting you start to loose enjoyment fast.

Soulless Enigma
25-01-2008, 21:22
Warcraft III > World of Warcraft (more looking at the fluff then at the gameplay).

WCIII had such a great story (okay not really that great but good and most importantly consistent) and WoW just fecked everything up.
It's all about item-hunting and the Story turns are ridiculous.

The whole Warcraft Fluff is a joke by now.

Quoted For Absolute Truth. This is why I like the WoW d20 RPG books so much - stable, consistent background material (art's apalling, mind).

Aside from that, I've heard that Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and The Two Thrones are significantly worse than Sands of Time. Can't comment myself, having never played Sands of Time. But the change in tone from Warrior Within and The Two Thrones is ridiculous, and one that kinda ruined both games for me.

The pestilent 1
25-01-2008, 22:07
There's a limit to how much realism should be allowed to affect gameplay. When units are completely worthless because of such a simple problem with game mechanics/balance you wonder why they were included in the first place.

Eurmm.
Rocket Dudes rip the **** out of tanks that are unsupported...

I do, however, like that you are surprised that Command And Conquer is won through Tank rushes and wars of attrition.

TheBigBadWolf
25-01-2008, 22:36
Heresy doom 3 was amazing, yeh the torch was stupid but it was an amazing game.

Zelda 2 was bad

der_lex
25-01-2008, 22:50
I have to agree with you there about Link's Adventure, that game was a huuuge letdown when it came out. Turning Zelda into a side-scroller...no. Glad they went back to form (and how!) with Zelda 3 on the SNES.

Killmaimburn
26-01-2008, 08:47
Doom 3 suffered from the "no duct tape on Mars" special rule
I was fairly sure there was official support for the torch + weapon after a certain patch (but can't find it) in the mean time here (http://www.fileplanet.com/99139/0/0/0/section/DOOM_3_-_Light_Mods) (and elsewhere of course) Anyway you get deep enough intoo hell it gets brighter with all the fire and blood lighting your way;)

Burnthem
26-01-2008, 10:01
Im going to be a rebel and admit i actually enjoyed Doom 3! sure, the whole torch or shoot thing was a bit annoying, but you soon got used to it, and i found there were some genuinely scary bits in it, but maybe thats just me being a wuss :D

Damien 1427
26-01-2008, 11:03
Quoted For Absolute Truth. This is why I like the WoW d20 RPG books so much - stable, consistent background material (art's apalling, mind).

That's also absolute pants, and isn't really relevant to the current canon.

The Warcraft background has always been merely justification for what the player can do, nothing more. When it branches out from that, it creates some utterly dreadful reading material, particularly by Richard "Worse than Goto, really" Knaak and his Garry-Stu "Rhonin" :rolleyes:. I appreciate at least that Blizzard seem to have admitted they really don't care about the background, at least with the usual "lorelol" thing surrounding the introduction of Draenei as a playable race.

Whereas I wasn't a fan of Warcraft 1 and 2, I can see why people would dislike 3. I enjoyed it for the dungeon runs, but it's a completley different beast. It's less about armies, and more about heroes, so people coming expecting Warcraft 2 with prettier graphics were in for a bit of a shock.

darkstar
26-01-2008, 12:41
C&C Renegade being a sequel to what exactly?
The original C&C series.

Speaking of which, Bomberman 64. It just doesn't work in 3d at all. It was interesting, but not a great deal of fun. Also Donkey Kong 64, for the same reasons.

Ravenheart
27-01-2008, 20:09
The Xenosaga series, as a sequel (or rather prequel, but it doesn't really matter) to the great Xenogears game, obviously.

I had very highs hopes for this, but whilst not a bad game per se, it didn't do the original justice in any form or sense.

Arnizipal
27-01-2008, 20:24
The original C&C series.

But it's not a sequel. It's a shooter spin-off of an RTS.

Gue'la Koholic
28-01-2008, 18:15
I really enjoyed Doom 3. Yes, parts of it were really dark, and yes, it was silly that this super kick ass marine never figured out that he could duct tape a flashlight to his shotgun, and make things alot easier. But whatever. To call it the worst sequel, or even a marginally bad sequel...