PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tips on Tzeentch Daemonic Legion

PumaKiller
20-01-2008, 05:46
Was at my local game shop today playing some 40K and one of the other regulars and I have been thinking about starting up fantasy for a while and today we finally took the leap. I picked up the core rules and then Hordes and Storm of Chaos and I really want to do a Tzeentch Daemonic Legion army but I have no idea where to even begin. I haven't quite read through the entire rule book but am working on it but so far my familiarity with 40K seems to be making the basics easy to grasp and move on, I suspect Magic will be where I need to study up on quite a bit. Basically what I was hoping for is some general tips on starting the army. Also correct me if I'm wrong but I have to play at least 2000 points to use a Lord of Change, correct?

SevenSins
20-01-2008, 11:58
Thats right, no Lords (of any kind) under 2000pts. As you need 3 core choices 3 10 man squads of horrors would be a good start as well as loading up on flamers and screamers. The chariots would probably be nice too.
Just remember that Demonic legion requires quite a bit of converting.

I'd advice you to not build to many of the strange choices as a new demon book is underway, possibly with new models as well.

One-S
22-01-2008, 17:42
a new demon book is underway, possibly with new models as well.

The best advice you can get for now is: wait untill the new book arrives.

fubukii
22-01-2008, 17:53
yea your best bet is to probably wait it out, but if you want a pretty powerful army, use the SOC rules and take as many units of change bringers as possible with a greater daemon.

John Vaughan
22-01-2008, 17:53
You are right about the Lord of Change, but 2000pts stack up really quickly with Chaos.

I started my Tzeench army the same way that you did. I thought I wanted to play Daemonic at first, but then found out how amazingly cool and powerful the mortals are. I still field two units of daemons, but I play as a mortal player. The thing about Tzeentch is that they need to use tons of magic, because Tzeentch has no CC benefits other than occasional magic in the case of the Horrors. A Lord of Chaos with the mark of Tzeentch is one of the most potent spell-casters in the game, while being the biggest CC bully-beast. All in all, you need to take advantage of magic, and to be sure to consider whether you want to play Daemonic or Mortal very carefully.

Edit: It is also scantily rumored that the Tzeench daemons may have new models released in the fall of this year, as well as new Nurgle daemons, for those who care. Slaanesh and Khorne are first to go.

Kerill
23-01-2008, 03:00
I would suggest going to the daemoniclegion.com, they have a forum and some of the best converted armies of any race ever.

You don't necessarily need to wait until the new book comes out, some things will definitely be there:

Horrors
Flamers
Screamers

Changebringers will probably be there and maybe the chariots too. Remember you can also play a HOC daemons list in the meantime, which is 100% legal and you can mix and match things a bit more. It is weaker than the SOC list but you can play with most of the daemonic core without going out on a limb for the daemonic legion specials and rares that may not appear/be nerfed. If you do play this way the chalice of chaos is a very useful item (you could have a lord of tzeentch with chalice and staff of change as army general- and he can join units). Also remember that any character mounted on a daemonic steed can join units of daemons so you could use an exalted on a steed in a unit of horrors.

Also for horror units, minimu worthwhile size is 11 (S3 bound spell). In a hordes of chaos list flamers are there more to block your opponent than anything else. In SOC they are a powerful (if fragile) unit of shooters with decent melee power.

John Vaughan
26-01-2008, 19:00
If you ask me, changbringers are broken. Magic slinging daemonic knights. Broken...Broken...broken...Use them!