PDA

View Full Version : 500 point Uruk-Hai army

Sideros Peltarion
20-01-2008, 13:53
I am very new to LotR, and here is my first list. I only have the 20 man box and the command, so don't mind changing it around. Any help with it? Or is it good enough as it is?

Uruk-Hai Captain with heavy armour and shield
10 Uruk-Hai with shields
10 Uruk-Hai with pikes
7 Uruk-Hai Berserkers
12 Uruk Hai with crossbows

darkstar
20-01-2008, 14:53
This is a perfectly serviceable starting uruk hai army. Ideally, you'd drop a couple of berserkers or crossbows to have some warg-riding cavalry to challenge flanks, secure objectives and deal with ranged types. That's something to do later though.

The only thing it won't get across is the importance of banners (not essential to uruks) and magic, but you could throw an uruk shaman in when you expand it.

Sideros Peltarion
20-01-2008, 19:28
Yes when expanding it I was thinking of adding some Wargs as well as Saruman to get to 750. After that I was thinking of either Scouts or Warriors of Dunland as they have cool Viking models.

Beragond
20-01-2008, 19:59
Saruman is worth getting, he has good magic and is a hero that you need in a Uruk-Hai army, as they have not many heroes. I wouldn't use 7 berserkers and I would only use 10 Crossbows

Sideros Peltarion
20-01-2008, 20:29
What do you think I should get with the extra points if I did that? More normal Uruk-Hai or Wargs?

Pitalla Crimson
23-01-2008, 17:32
I may do an Isenard Army aswell, and I am specifiying for tourney armie style so the more imba the better.

Uruk captain w shield
and hvy armour

Uruk Shaman

10x Uruk-hai with Xbows

and the rest of the points of Uruk-hai berserkers

the army size must be 600, wath do you think of it?

nieto666
23-01-2008, 18:09
sounds interesting............that'll be a good bit of berserkers.........but u could be easily overwhelmed by a horde type army or outmanuvered by a heavy cav army. i would still luv to see it on the table top though:)

Rodman49
23-01-2008, 18:13
the army size must be 600, wath do you think of it?

I'd say play a Moria Army - if you are trying to WAAC. Anytime there is a point value close to bottom of a model limit bracket (ie 800, 600, 350) you should pick Moria or possibly Barad-dur.

Any army you choose for Isengard will have at most 60 models. A Moria army at 600 pts could take:

4 Captains w/ Shields
68 Moria Goblins with shield/spear/or bow
1 Moria Goblin Drum

That army would MOLEST just about anything you can throw at it at 600 points. Cheap armored infantry being the only armies that would stand a chance.

Pitalla Crimson
23-01-2008, 22:42
bah, no problem.Berserker horde is something I have been wanting to do for a very long time hehhe.
Besdies the fury thing will keep my berserkers happy and running.

the question is how much berserkers I am able to field:eyebrows:, there is no limit on them right?

Sideros Peltarion
23-01-2008, 23:53
bah, no problem.Berserker horde is something I have been wanting to do for a very long time hehhe.
Besdies the fury thing will keep my berserkers happy and running.

the question is how much berserkers I am able to field:eyebrows:, there is no limit on them right?

As far as I know there are no limits, apart from the obvious point limits.
Although an all berserker army would be fun, and probably a bit intimidating for you opponent, if the enemy ahs lots of shooting you are in trouble as they wouldn't ahve a pike block to hide behind and they have the same defence as a shield Uruk so go down just as easily to shooting but hurts you a lot more

Rodman49
25-01-2008, 01:43
As far as I know there are no limits, apart from the obvious point limits.
Although an all berserker army would be fun, and probably a bit intimidating for you opponent, if the enemy ahs lots of shooting you are in trouble as they wouldn't ahve a pike block to hide behind and they have the same defence as a shield Uruk so go down just as easily to shooting but hurts you a lot more

Shooting isn't the real problem with the all Berserker list - its the complete lack of numbers.

Hoggle_Moggle
25-01-2008, 16:17
you need more might, 2 points won't cut it, shoot for 6-8 points, with that pike block you need as much might as you can get to avoid any calvary flanks and such -

IN addition I would consider maybe a Ringwraith, just something to have to help kill elven heroes, in addition when you break your opponent it will most useful!

Joewrightgm
26-01-2008, 17:14
I'd definitly try to shoe-horn in a banner and a shaman; The Fury spell is amazing, and has saved alot of my Uruk-Hai from a ignoble death at the hands of a hobbit chucking a rock.

Banner + 3 deep ranks of Uruk-hai generally equals a very dead opponent. This is really true if you get your captain backed up properly.

Sideros Peltarion
26-01-2008, 20:29
you need more might, 2 points won't cut it, shoot for 6-8 points, with that pike block you need as much might as you can get to avoid any calvary flanks and such -

IN addition I would consider maybe a Ringwraith, just something to have to help kill elven heroes, in addition when you break your opponent it will most useful!
Well firstly I am doing a pure Isengard army so won't be including a Ringwraith. Secondly if I added more heroes, wouldn't mya rmy be even more badly outnumbered than they are already? Uruk armies are never large to be begin with, but having heroes sprouting out everywhere surely isn't going to help that problem is it?

I'd definitly try to shoe-horn in a banner and a shaman; The Fury spell is amazing, and has saved alot of my Uruk-Hai from a ignoble death at the hands of a hobbit chucking a rock.

Banner + 3 deep ranks of Uruk-hai generally equals a very dead opponent. This is really true if you get your captain backed up properly.
I want to stay away from shamans. They just don't seem to fit with the Isengard army imo. Just personal taste really. I have actually planned to add a banner to my army, I had just forgotten to update this. The later list is below. As far as I know the prices are right, but I don't have the rulebook so am going by memory.
Uruk-Hai with banner
8 Uruk-Hai with shields
10 Uruk-Hai with pikes
6 Uruk-Hai Berserkers

Rodman49
26-01-2008, 23:02
I want to stay away from shamans. They just don't seem to fit with the Isengard army imo. Just personal taste really. I have actually planned to add a banner to my army, I had just forgotten to update this. The later list is below. As far as I know the prices are right, but I don't have the rulebook so am going by memory.
Uruk-Hai with banner
8 Uruk-Hai with shields
10 Uruk-Hai with pikes
6 Uruk-Hai Berserkers

Go with like 10 Uruks with shields and 8 pikeman, otherwise the list is fairly solid.

Joewrightgm
27-01-2008, 00:49
Gotcha, no shaman. The new list looks really savage, and those crossbows are truly wonderful weapons for doing a number on people as they approach; and if someone tries to sort them out, at the end of the day they're still Uruk-hai.

Sideros Peltarion
27-01-2008, 03:01
Go with like 10 Uruks with shields and 8 pikeman, otherwise the list is fairly solid.
May I ask why you say that, as with the way I currently have it I can make a 3 rank pike block with a few shields on the sides and the Captain in the centre. What advantage is there in having more shields than pikes?

Gotcha, no shaman. The new list looks really savage, and those crossbows are truly wonderful weapons for doing a number on people as they approach; and if someone tries to sort them out, at the end of the day they're still Uruk-hai.
That was my thinking exactly;)

Rodman49
27-01-2008, 03:46
May I ask why you say that, as with the way I currently have it I can make a 3 rank pike block with a few shields on the sides and the Captain in the centre. What advantage is there in having more shields than pikes?

In many scenarios frontage is more important than depth. Think things like Recon, where pushing through is as important as killing the enemy. A Shield Uruk gets higher defense and in any 1v1 or 2v1 instance can increase his chance to win an incredible margin.

huron
02-02-2008, 15:40
drop six urukhai with shields because then every uruk with shield gets backed up with pikes and your captain gets put in their and has 2 attaks normally and backed up with 2 pikes gets 4 attacks.Then you could have i think its vraksu he has 2 shots with his crossbow and hits on 3s.

Kroot Lord
02-02-2008, 20:47
Berserkers are decent, but not great, and should definatly not be used en-masse, so a max of about 9 in 750 points.

There should be a 1:1 ratio of pikes and shields. Shieldmen will be shot down or stay behind to keep an objective. In other places you will not need pike support from the pikes, so it is fine if you don't take 2:1

Saruman is not worth it overal. To expensive yet he is alot (alot!) worse then his "good" version, which even costs 20 points LESS!

huron
02-02-2008, 21:25
And i would recomend 3 bezerkers 3 feral uruk hai you have the feral urukhai with 2 hand weapons that win the fight and the beserkers with 2 handed weapons to kill the thing.

Rodman49
02-02-2008, 21:57
And i would recomend 3 bezerkers 3 feral uruk hai you have the feral urukhai with 2 hand weapons that win the fight and the beserkers with 2 handed weapons to kill the thing.

Berserkers can also use one handed weapons.

huron
02-02-2008, 22:09
it says in the rule book that they carry 2 handed sword so they can't choose to use it one handed.

Rodman49
04-02-2008, 04:54
it says in the rule book that they carry 2 handed sword so they can't choose to use it one handed.

Wait, I'm pretty sure it says they carry 2 handed swords also, but it does not actually explicitly state they do not have hand weapons and therefore do count as also having them (like elves).

Hoggle_Moggle
04-02-2008, 21:00
rodman is correct

Kroot Lord
05-02-2008, 15:19
All models carry hand weapons unless otherwise stated, such as saying they are unarmed or do not have the option to use anything else other then this or that weapon.