PDA

View Full Version : Finally.... I've Fnished

lord_fenric
26-09-2005, 09:30
Right,

After 3 years of study and a year of writing up I have finally finifhed my PhD thesis. Am going to be printing it out later today for binding and submission by the end of the week.

Don't know why but i just feel ike telling everyone that a psriod of extreme stress in my life is over......

Would go to bed but am stuck at work for the rest of the dat.

thanks for listening

'Fenric

violenceha
26-09-2005, 09:34
are you getting it printed on acid free paper or being naughty and putting it on regular bond?

Vaya
26-09-2005, 09:34
Congrats. I just received my masters degree in Political Science last thursday, so i know how you feel. Enjoy your period of relative peace, because before you know it, you'll be working 9 to 5. ;)

plasticfrog
26-09-2005, 09:35
Congratulations.

3 years with a piddling grant and dreadful stress of a deadline for your own unique contribution to human knowledge it is a fantastic acheivement.

Good stuff. So when do you start exploiting your unique knowledge for some serious $$$? :)

Wiseman
26-09-2005, 10:01
i graduated from hgh school last thursday so i sorta know how ya feel, conrgats

Sojourner
26-09-2005, 12:00
Bah. No such satisfaction for me.

Second year physics starts next monday. Just enough time for you doctorate faffers to get out of our way ;)

Adept
26-09-2005, 13:12
After 3 years of study and a year of writing up I have finally finifhed my PhD thesis. Am going to be printing it out later today for binding and submission by the end of the week.

Don't know why but i just feel ike telling everyone that a psriod of extreme stress in my life is over......

thanks for listening

'Fenric

I only hope you used spellchecker...

Big_Bear_Scot
26-09-2005, 13:17
Right,

thanks for listening

'Fenric

What was the thesis on ?

Well done BTW.

lord_fenric
26-09-2005, 13:31
Good stuff. So when do you start exploiting your unique knowledge for some serious $$$? :)

Luckaly i've already got a job, which i've been doing for around 6 months. The mony is nice but trying to write up and work full time has not.

What was the thesis on ?

The theis was on Network Robotics, essentially modular distributed transparency over a collection of agents (sonuds interesting but it isn't really).

Thanks for the nice words everyone ;)

x-esiv-4c
26-09-2005, 14:05
Well done. I've just started writing my thesis.

Things are moving too damn slow...

Hywel
26-09-2005, 15:43
The theis was on Network Robotics, essentially modular distributed transparency over a collection of agents (sonuds interesting but it isn't really).

Thats the funny thing about theses isn't it? Everyone thinks they sound fascinating but after you've actually done one, you think the subject is rather dull to say the least...

Still, well done, now you can enjoy the sweet afterglow of having produced something that big and reward yourself with lots of mooching around.

McMullet
26-09-2005, 15:54
I haven't even started writing mine up yet, and I already think it's dull... :p

Congrats lord_fenric, now stop posting and go get drunk!

Easy E
26-09-2005, 22:23
Good work!

Cripes, I thought a major paper was bad enough. A thesis must be a nightmare! How many sources did you use?

salty
26-09-2005, 22:38
If its saved onto a computer, make a back-up copy on disk. Otherwise you will probably get this pop up when you go to print:

--- ERROR 3.12 ---
--- FILE NOT FOUND ---
--- WINDOWS HAS EXPERIENCED A CRITICAL ERROR AND NOW MUST SHUT DOWN ---
--- WINDOWS CANNOT SHUT DOWN ---
--- INITIATING SAFETY PROTOCOLS ---

And then your computer will implode. Probably.

Nice work though, ;)

Salty :)

pricetb
26-09-2005, 22:56
Congratz, a doctoral thesis is a major achievement. Luckily my chosen field doen't require one. My undergrad thesis was bad enough!

Now go and enjoy the "real world"!

Pricetb

Hippy In Peril
26-09-2005, 23:25
That's awesome man.

Good luck in whatever career field you go into.

lord_fenric
27-09-2005, 10:10
Good work!

Cripes, I thought a major paper was bad enough. A thesis must be a nightmare! How many sources did you use?

The eventual count was 400 references (though 13 of those were self references), which is rather light but the field i'm working in is rather new so the available literature is limited. Of those 400 i probably completely read only half and glanced at the rest.

They're curently forming a large tower in the corner of my room, seems a waste now as they're useless but at least i can recycle the paper.

In terms of back ups i have around 200 copies in various stages on so many different media its untrue (I lost quite a lot near the start and was paranoid ever since).

The printing went well. The painful part was combining the black and white prints with the pages i printed in colour. Took over 3 hours to merge the actual documents.

Will be collecting it from the binders tomorrow morning so its all done bar the viva (and teh inevitable corrections).

Sojourner
27-09-2005, 11:08
Four hundred references? And that's light?

Gleh. Remind me never to do that.

McMullet
27-09-2005, 13:27
Depends on the subject - most of the Theses I've read seem to be more like 200 or so. A lot of the time, you'll only have read one small part of each paper, stolen an equation from it or whatever.

Yorkiebar
27-09-2005, 20:17
So it's now Doctor Fenric?

Well done, man. Enjoy yourself at the weekend, have a few drinks, sleep.

Geetarman
27-09-2005, 20:46
Just goes to show you can be a very intelligent person and still retain the spelling skills of a walrus :rolleyes:

Gman

C'tan
27-09-2005, 21:02
Just goes to show you can be a very intelligent person and still retain the spelling skills of a walrus :rolleyes:

Gman
I nkow mnay poeple who are bad at speeling and good at ohter tings

Myself included.