PDA

View Full Version : A few 40k fluff queries.

Pokey ork
20-01-2008, 23:38
Just a number of fluff questions which came into mind.

1. Just how tough is Ork mega armour? Would it be capable of taking direct hits from a bolter shot?

2. How do Ork power claws work? Do they have that special field around them like a power fist or are they primarily made for crushing?

3. Under what circumstances would a C'tan make itself present on the battlefield?

4. How do the Eldar combat the Space marines? From my impression of SM fluff they tend to have an extensive high chance of victory, but how would Eldar be able to defeat them?

Thank you

Pokey ork

dr.oetk3r
20-01-2008, 23:50
1. Really tough, yes
2. They are made for cutting ad crushing.
3. When it wants to i suppose.
4. They shoot them, and use psychic powers.

The Gothic Me
21-01-2008, 00:05
1. 2+ save tuff, so yes

2. I was of the opinion that they are like power fists, but I don't know Orks so well

3. Judging by a lot of necron armies, every little skirmish is participated in... Other wise probably just when it's an important battle

4. In space marine fluff the space marines have a high chance of winning, in Eldar fluff, the space marines have no chance, it's all perspective.

Khaine's Messenger
21-01-2008, 00:07
1. Just how tough is Ork mega armour? Would it be capable of taking direct hits from a bolter shot?

Ork mega armor is basically really thick slabs of metal forced to move with a complicated set of pneumatics, electronics, and gears. In game terms, it's about as tough as terminator armor with a few maneuverability drawbacks...in background terms, it's fully capable of absorbing quite a few bolter shots, yes, but it has a lot more gaps in its workings and exposed power feeds due to its somewhat more junky build.

2. How do Ork power claws work? Do they have that special field around them like a power fist or are they primarily made for crushing?

I would say it's not unreasonable for them to have a power-field. Mind you, even the power fist only comes into its own when it's "crushing" things.

3. Under what circumstances would a C'tan make itself present on the battlefield?

When it's in the neighborhood and wants to pick up a snack or check in on a particular pet project. They've had their massive egos fed for as long as they've talked to mortals; taking to the battlefield to ensure any particular victory is almost beneath them, and they do so enjoy punishing their more "aware" subordinates for failure.

4. How do the Eldar combat the Space marines? From my impression of SM fluff they tend to have an extensive high chance of victory, but how would Eldar be able to defeat them?

Eldar forces usually deploy like Space Marines, so it's almost like two rapid strike forces meeting. Sometimes they'll pass in the night, other times they'll cut a swathe through one another. On a more strategic level, the Eldar race's penchant for making decisions that make no sense to the human mind (or to human-staffed intelligence agencies/teams) keeps even Space Marines guessing. Space Marines can also deploy fast, but on an actual battlefield they're nowhere as maneuverable as the Eldar.

different13
21-01-2008, 12:49
Ork technology mostly works because they believe it does.
Captured weapons have been examined by the AdMech and pronounced completely useless, despite those same weapons having been used to cut down Guardsmen etc mere weeks before.
I think the current 'in-universe' theory is that the psychic resonance created by the Orks (think Waaagh field) powers much of their technology, though the Orks are unaware of that.

Of course, I don't think a massive hydraulic claw is out of the Orks' tech-range, so maybe their powerklaws work simply because they actually do.

As for the question of Mega-armour taking bolter hits, that seems blindingly obvious to me. There's a reason it's practically the equivalent of terminator armour.
As mentioned, it's not AS good, especially mobility wise.. but it's probably still (at least) the equivalent of Power Armour (again, in-universe).
Though as the Messenger said, there would be exposed gaps etc..