PDA

View Full Version : Completely New Units

AllisterCaine
21-01-2008, 08:12
Do you ever wish that GW would begin making complete new models and rules for them? That instead of updated miniatures or refined rules that we will see a whole new range of additions to the 40k armies? What are you thoughts on this idea, we might even be able to inspire GW to start making this a reality...

Deadmanwade
21-01-2008, 08:17
We have that already. Its called Forge World. They're responsible for some of GW's best work in my opinion.
Plus, some things really do need to be remade and updated. Dark Eldar Warriors, Plastic Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle etc etc.
Some things are just never going to change. Space Marines are never going to get any strikingly new ranges because they're so embedded in what 40k is. Whilst they may get the occasional extra unit or special character or two they're pretty much set in stone as to what they use.
Newer races like Tau, 'Crons and 'nids are more open for new units though.
As for a whole new race, I kinda hope that doesnt happen in some ways. When Nids first got released they were overpowered, the same for crons. GW likes to pump up the new races so that people will buy them and they can make their money back ASAP.

Tonberry
21-01-2008, 09:41
The thing is, new units are nice, but improvements on existing units are more sought after, especially with some ancient stuff like the afforementioned Dark Eldar etc. If every race would completely up to date then I'm sure GW would pump out fresh ideas, but, alas, neither of these things are likely to happen.

Xgladar
21-01-2008, 15:30
id love it if they made some completely new units,especially for the armies that really need some more customization and freedom like crons,nids etc...

lets be honest to ourselves,this rule update has been going for more than 10 years,and with each new edition there seems to be some sort of whining,cheezing and imbalance.after 10 years im fed up with looking at the same models with the same-but-slightly-tweaked rules.i want something FRESH and NEW.
things like:
-new tank like structures for the crons(you can call them ziggurats or pyramids or obelisks....)
-some rough rider models for the guard
-other stuff i cant think of right now...

MrBigMr
21-01-2008, 18:34
Don't we get new units from time to time? Didn't the Tau Empire codex give us the Vespid, Sniper Drones, Pirahna and Skyray? Then there's... Um...

AllisterCaine
21-01-2008, 21:10
yes there are some new models that has come out over the past few years, but most of them are not COMPLETELY new. Forge world mostly make models that either have very similar rules to the existing armies, like the death korps, or the leman russ tank variants for example. But something that is started from scratch with experimental rules? Those are VERY rare and GW has yet to make more than a couple in what- a couple of years? How about a unit that has never been mentioned in the fluff?

does everyone believe that the rule system is so fragile it cant handle completely new units? Warmachine is a perfect example, it constantly gets updates with new models, new rules, new tatics, new equipment, and they dont have any noticible problems. why cant GW do the same? Dont tell me its about STC technology, or the fluff, or because the adeptus mechanicus doesnt want to...thats not a reason why they cant update the ancient game.

BrainFireBob
21-01-2008, 21:11
What's needed are new races, unfortunately GW needs to get all existing races lined up along the same rules-set. Alien hunters and admech would both be excellent. A new Alien race would be nice, but hard to both fit into the fluff and make seem significant. The Tau could always do with more than a measly four species in their army.

Admech and Tau would be my top two picks for additions, but I'm not GW.

EDIT: And they don't give a damn if Warmachine is balanced, instead telling players to effectively suck it up.

Chaplain of Chaos
21-01-2008, 21:16
Yeah, Warmachine is HEAVY METAL! It's fun though, but without the hardcore tournament players you probably won't hear as many complaints.

AllisterCaine
21-01-2008, 21:18
EDIT: And they don't give a damn if Warmachine is balanced, instead telling players to effectively suck it up.

yep...since when did they give a damn about anything?

Da Boyzz
21-01-2008, 23:17
Chances are though, that the completely new unit would be either overpowerd to sell lots of new models or underpowered so as not to upset the game and then rarely be used.

I think GW would rather go for the safe option and just try to improve the tried and tested units.

Also it is very unfluffy, because the new units would not be anywhere in fluff.

Arkzein
22-01-2008, 01:11
Just thought I'd say that we do get new units from time to time. I'm a Chaos player and Raptors, Obilterators, Defilers, Possessed and the odd special charatcer are all additions since 2nd. I actually think GW have a pretty good attitude to new units, adding just one or two at most when they do so the entire feel and balance of a force isn't upset.

MrBigMr
22-01-2008, 05:53
Also it is very unfluffy, because the new units would not be anywhere in fluff.
Oh, like GW has never just stuck stuff in there and said "oh, it's always been there, it was just never talked about." Like the Tau and Necrons and all that crap.

Besides, there's plenty of stuff in the background still not used. I'm hoping and praying we'll see Siegfried and Ragnarok tanks one day in 40K.