PDA

View Full Version : Who actively started Orks?

Mojaco
21-01-2008, 12:11
Simple question really. Everyone seems to love it, most people see a lot more power in the new release, but who actually started an army? So who bought miniatures, made a painting scheme and is building his own Waaagh? So I'm not looking for people who intent to do so, cause realisticly I think everyone intent to start nearly everything, until the next big thing draws their attention.

I had a small army I neglected, but the new codex caused me to repaint everything. And those burnas are simply stunning (and cheap compared to 5 devastators or similar. They should be though)! My army is going to be Adaptuz Mekkanikuz themed, which is nicked from a tale of four gamers thread here on Warseer. It was just too good to leave alone :)

New Cult King
21-01-2008, 12:15
Well, even though I had some Orkses and 2 previous codexs lying about, according to your first paragraph, yes, yes I did.

I bought the spearhead, I have a paintscheme sorted, and I'm slowly putting the Boyz together. I just have to get some superglue with more holding power than water, and I'll have my Tankbustaz, Weirdboy (awesome) and SAG (awesome too) sorted.

lord_blackfang
21-01-2008, 12:21
I already had an army but I'll be replacing most of the models (except the plastic boyz). I'm just about to click "Buy it Now" on a new Battleforce.

Souleater
21-01-2008, 12:25
I'm in the 'once I finish my Nids and WHFB army' camp.

I have loved Brian Nelsons figures for ages, he captures the Orks/Orcs perfectly. The newest models are fabulos (the Burna Boyz, the Bikes, the Trukks).

Sadly I had to get rid of my 1st Ed Ork mob last year so I'll be starting from scratch. Although hoping to start in a sensible fashion and actually paint as I go :D

marv335
21-01-2008, 12:31
Well, I bought the shokk attack gun because it's a nice model.
I've got a box of orks stashed somewhere and a bunch of gorkamorka stuff somewhere.
once the fuss has died down I'll get them out and organise them into a coherent force.

Binabik15
21-01-2008, 12:31
No, but IŽll start a GorkaMorka mob at some point.

And as soon as my pirate orcs are all converted and my painting backlog smaller (always got headaches when I had glasses and tried to paint) I might start the feral ork deffskull cult of spider revering terror eksperts I dreamed about for years. Oh, IF the 40k rules are sorted out before.

lord_blackfang
21-01-2008, 12:36
There, my credit card has just been charged for the Battleforce. It's official now :D

Easy E
21-01-2008, 12:38
Just updating the horde I all ready own.

Kulgur
21-01-2008, 12:40
I rarely get past the intent stage, might even buy a few models and fail to paint them, we shall see

Mojaco
21-01-2008, 12:45
There, my credit card has just been charged for the Battleforce. It's official now :D
Good for you :)

Does anyone know how long it took for them to release megaforces for established races? Did the Eldar one took like a year or so? I so, I'm not waiting, but if it's closer to half a year then it might be worth the effort.

Metaphorazine
21-01-2008, 12:55
I voted yes, though I've had orks for about a year now. But they kind of got put on hold when I found out they were being re-done, and I've just started assembling and painting again. I've got 9 boys finished, and should have another 6 done by tomorrow night. Waaaagh on!

Bloodknight
21-01-2008, 13:04
I had a GoMo mob which now will slowly be built up to a full army (of 1000 points - side project). I bought a few vehicles and a few boyz and nobs over the last weeks.

flakjacket
21-01-2008, 13:11
Ive picked up a few boyz and the dex, i'm intending to just put a small 500pt mob together just for a change, my guard are my passion but i need a little diversion everynow and then :)

Supremearchmarshal
21-01-2008, 13:18
I'd like to but I don't have the money...

Maybe I'll start a Gorkamorka mob though.

Insane Psychopath
21-01-2008, 13:27
I'll be starting my second Ork force once a few thing settle down (college, Marine biker force & Scottish Conflict force) so the army deal still waiting to be built. Will be keeping to my Blood Axe theme, while my Mk1 ork force will go into retirment.
Just new idea for conversion & theme. Aim to convert my Big Mek to be like a Tech-priest with a ork skull inside the cog.

I just feel everone should collect Orks, much like a lot people start with Marines when getting into 40k. Can't wait to get my Mk2 ork on the feild.

biggreengribbly
21-01-2008, 15:32
I started my army about 2 months before the codex was released.

...should be finished around about when the next one gets done.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/biggreengribbly/The%20Ork%20Marines/Boy5.jpg

Surgeon Generals warning. Heavily converting 6 point models is Bad for your health

bosstroll
21-01-2008, 15:35
I dug up the buggy conversions i did several years ago, and am now in the process of building a biker warboss + bikernobz squad. Some boyz will undoubtly follow

Darkhorse
21-01-2008, 17:05
Well Waaagh Ripskar has been going since late 2nd Ed. Though I don't have the older stuff anymore (I used to have Metal warbikes, that's old!) For the current Codex I've got a Trukk, a couple of runtherdz, a mob of meganobz, an SAG, and I'll probably get a box of bunaboyz/looterz, and a box of tankbustas (if only for the squigs).
Then of course there is the Skullhamma I intend to do...

But all of that is just polishing up the army I already have.

Deamon-forge
21-01-2008, 17:07
I stoped doing Orks about 2years ago, but iv restarted again, cleaned up some old conversions iv done and geting my Waaghh ready again. Do in a way iv started doing orks again all because of the new codex

Kymar
21-01-2008, 17:08
I'm happy with my panzee's, but I'm trilled to play against the new ork models and rules. I like buying birthday gifts of orks for friends, just thinking how fun it will be to shoot 'em down later. :)

Misfratz
21-01-2008, 17:58
I've wanted to start a Waaagh ever since I grew out of my Imperium-related idolatry. I was hoping they'd be some sort of Stompa-related madness with the new Codex, but, putting together my first box of Boyz, I can see I'm going to have a lot of fun with a large bunch of footsloggers to start with. Then I'll see what I can do with a bunch of Trukk kits..

jowiczad
21-01-2008, 18:00
I'm in the 'once I finish my Nids and WHFB army' camp.

I'm in that camp. We're having a singsong tonight, with rumours of smores.
I look back on the innocence of "200 models in my army, awesome!" and shake my head. Jeebus knows painting wears me down.

I have played against the new orks however, and was royally thrashed. Love their new codex though, especially some of the shok attack outcomes.

only joking...
21-01-2008, 18:07
I just could not resist those new warbikes ! Evil sunz here we come ! :evilgrin:

intellectawe
21-01-2008, 18:16
Nope.

I actually do not like the new codex. Which is fine, I am the minority with my opinions about the book, and I respect others for loving it.

I liked it when Orks were considered the under dogs even when they weren't, but now, they are not considered as such anymore, and I don't like the attention they are getting, even though, in my opinion, they were perfectly powerful before.

I am selling my army off. Good riddance Orks.

Mojaco
21-01-2008, 18:25
What? Noooooo!
Just leave them for a year or so and the attention will wane. They're in the spotlight now (and quite deservingly), and I understand why you don't like seeing seemingly everyone start an army of them. But a year or so should iron any false starts out and people will have new projects, so that Orks goes back in line of being just an army. Sure, somewhat more popular then before, but that can only be good.

VetSgtNamaan
21-01-2008, 18:40
I voted yes though I have slowly built up my orks over that past year or so. aLot of people selling thier old ork armies does wonders for building your ork horde. I did try out a feral ork list with a load of boar boyz though I did not do very well with it then put it on hold once I heard rumors of the forth coming ork codex.

I am looking forward to fielding my 200+ ork horde

studderigdave
21-01-2008, 19:18
updated my current waaaagh with the new codex and a boatload of new models. i think im in the 4000 point range once again. i love taking dreds as troops now, though the bike boss is so cool. sso many nice options to take.

intellectawe
21-01-2008, 19:44
What? Noooooo!
Just leave them for a year or so and the attention will wane. They're in the spotlight now (and quite deservingly), and I understand why you don't like seeing seemingly everyone start an army of them. But a year or so should iron any false starts out and people will have new projects, so that Orks goes back in line of being just an army. Sure, somewhat more popular then before, but that can only be good.

The all loota squad killed it for me. I think it is one of the worst ideas GW has ever come up with for a unit. 45 shots a turn for a unit of Orks? I used them a few times, and they didn't feel orky to me. Felt like I was being cheesy. The old lootas felt better... too bad they sucked big time back then.

Well, almost as bad as 15 Deff Koptas moving 24" before the game even starts. Oh, and that Mega nobs are mega crap.

Let someone else jump on the bandwagon. I'm out.

Edzard
21-01-2008, 20:35
The all loota squad killed it for me. I think it is one of the worst ideas GW has ever come up with for a unit. 45 shots a turn for a unit of Orks? I used them a few times, and they didn't feel orky to me. Felt like I was being cheesy. The old lootas felt better... too bad they sucked big time back then.

Well, almost as bad as 15 Deff Koptas moving 24" before the game even starts. Oh, and that Mega nobs are mega crap.

Let someone else jump on the bandwagon. I'm out.

You still have your old 'dex haven't you? Unless you only play at tournaments you can probably play it the way you like it, right?

I got back to Orks (I'm comfortable with my painting ability nowadays, so I can do them justice ;))

floyd pinkerton
21-01-2008, 20:39
I picked up the codex yesterday, and i've already started kitbashing a few looted tanks:D

I love the new orks, specially the bikes

de Selby
21-01-2008, 21:47
Not YET (to be fair, I haven't even seen a copy of the codex on the shelf yet).

When the 5th Ed box set and the megaforce arrive, I'll jump right in.

Ravenous
21-01-2008, 21:52
I bought mine all together after the dex came out in december, I had the whole army done in a week thanks to the wonders of dipping.

147 models in 1 week is pretty good if you ask me.

As for its performance, people are still shell shocked from the sheer speed and shooty -ness of it.

Satone
21-01-2008, 22:08
Well i all ready had one but thought why not get a new one, so i bought the spearhead 3 more trukks, 11 boxes of boyz, another box of bikes, 6 mega nobz, 10 normal nobz and other random bits i may need, i`m also planning on a fighta bommer squadron of between 3 and 12

Oh yeah also the skull hamma/ battle wagon stormboyz think that may be it now

dblaz3r
21-01-2008, 22:14
Yes, I've been waiting for well over a year since my return to 40k for the orkz to be released. Took a few side projects to fill the time but the time has come to reconnect with my inner-waaagh. Not sure whether to go with my 2nd edition bad moons or start fresh, damn decisions.

hs5ias
21-01-2008, 22:56
Yup, I just today mailed off a too large cheque for a very large Ork force. I have an uncontrollable urge when collecting an army to get everything. As in a max out of every unit choice, and quite often a max out of force org slots with the core units for at least Troops, Heavy Support and Fast Attack. I then start appending odd bits and models here and there.

My current 40K army is Witch Hunters and frankly I haven't put half of it on the table hardly at all because there are too many sisters and so many Inquisitors and their retinues. So as a result of these urges I have ordered five Battleforces and as much again of other bits, and I'm scouting round the internet for more bits, and am planning the mass manufacture of battlewagons. What is more I in principle will not put an unpainted model on the tabletop, so I'll have months of manic painting ahead of me.

Da Boyzz
21-01-2008, 23:21
As i guess many did/had to do, i just bought some new models and kept going on my merry old way in the never ending quest of building a waagh, which has been getting built for the past year and a half.

:)

victorpofa
21-01-2008, 23:24
Actively working on my Orks. I bought a bunch of Ork models at the end of 2006 and intended to build a Speed Freek army once my Space Wolves were done. Fast forward to October and I finished up my Marines. With new Ork models and a new codex on the horizon I started to work on a small Blood Angels force until I could see how the army was changing. With the impending release of the Battleforce my Ork's time has come.

Finished by me or bought off ebay:
Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun. The 2nd edition model.
A looted Leman Russ that can be a spare battlewagon or looted wagon with boomgun.
A looted Basilisk that can be a wagon with boomgun.
30 grots and a slaver painted up. 2nd Edition plastic grots.
An old Mk I Land Raider modified into a gorespeeda battlewagon.
A Chimera modified into a scorcha trukk/trakk. Needs to be primed and painted.
A dozen newer style boyz primed and ready to paint. They will then be mounted on already painted warbikes that I got off ebay replacing the weedy gits who previously rode them. :D

I am currently modifying a war buggy to accommodate a newer Ork gunner, and modified another Ork to fit into the tiny driver's area. The driver is done, and I just finished a small platform that will allow a bigger Ork gunner to see what he is shooting at, and not have his face smooshed into the big shoota. That gunner spot is tiny.

Next on the agenda is finish my biker Warboss/Wazdakka when I get my hands on the plastic Power Klaw that comes with the new boyz, and make up three biker Nobz with the bikes in the Battleforce. After that I am looking at building and painting 40 shoota boyz, 20 'Ard boyz, and 24+ Slugga boyz.

This Waaagh is still just a whisper, but soon it will be a roar! ;)

Captain Micha
21-01-2008, 23:33
I will answer for my friend since he does not frequent forums. He seems pretty enthused about them and I am pretty sure that I will soon be dealing with a green tide.

electric
21-01-2008, 23:35
I actually have quite a few old RT orks. If they weren't so expensive on ebay now, I'd buy more to complete a full army of them. I'll probably wind up selling them though, just too much work to find enough to have a complete army.

MadDogMike
22-01-2008, 00:17
Uh, kinda sorta? I bought some of the warbikes and would dearly like to buy an ork army, my problem is I have several armies still needing paint to finish so I'd feel horribly guilty buying an even larger force to add to my paint backlog. Right now I'm just gathering/assembling a few ork models at a time as the mood/cash hits me.

Angelwing
22-01-2008, 01:13

Did you use death skull looterz in 2nd ed? They were insane too.

on topic:
I already own a horde, and although very tempted I'm not going to buy anything beyond the codex. Boss Ripspleen has rearranged da boyz, and now are looking for a fight!

smokingmonkee
22-01-2008, 03:26
Just adding to my existing Waaagh.

dneff23
22-01-2008, 03:57
Just replacing my trukks and warbikes..

Azzy
22-01-2008, 05:33
No, can't say I'm starting an ork army.... More like I need to beef up my warband to a proper Waaagh! (what with the new codex and cheaper boyz, I'm down to 3.5K points). Two battleforce sets to start the process, and I'm not sure where I'll go after that--burnas/lootas, tankbustas, new shokk attack gun, new weirdboy, more nobs, more killa kans, some kommandos.... Oh, who knows, I won't be satisfied until I can field every option. :D

Light of the Emperor
22-01-2008, 05:45
I used to play orks and there are quite a few models flying around my game room so I think there's alot of green in my future. Not the money kind though...that green is leaving...

I played against the new orks the other day and was completely amazed at their new abilites. I love 'em eventhough I lost the game. I definately want Zaagstruck with his fancy Rob Halford hat. We'ze gonna be 'ellbent fo' letha!

Goldenwolf
22-01-2008, 06:48
I have some ancient stuff which may get tossed, as the new Orks look so much better.

From the Info I got from my FLGS, the Battleforce and new Killa Kans are out the 21st, and most of the rest is out now, but some of the really cool minis are Direct only, like the Nob w/Waagh Pole.

Brother-Captain De Angele
22-01-2008, 06:58
i reckon they should to an endless horde for orks 4 apocolypse like they did for the tyranids you know u get 120 gaunts it would be great if u got 120 orks in a box or even more orks! the point is endless horde of orks!

Mojaco
22-01-2008, 09:35
From the Info I got from my FLGS, the Battleforce and new Killa Kans are out the 21st, and most of the rest is out now, but some of the really cool minis are Direct only, like the Nob w/Waagh Pole.
Those are not new killa kans, just a new packaging.

I'm surprised so many people already had Orks.

Earthbeard
22-01-2008, 09:37
Despite liking Ork models, especially some of the newer ones (warbikes mostly)

I haven't, nor intend to collect an Ork army.

the1stpip
22-01-2008, 10:02
Yep, once I finish my new Dark Eldar army, I shall be starting my Blood Zxes properly (i have painted six so far).

Cirrus the Blue
22-01-2008, 11:13
Pretty much the way that I started my first Ork army was I already had tons of figs from the release of GorkaMorka (the Cyborks were amazing in the last codex...) and just beefed up the ranks with the the (back then) new Boyz, Nobz, and Warboss pretty much. Worked on it a while and used it for the past 10 years. Now, with the new release stuff I'm back full throttle so to speak on GorkaMorka, so I'm guessing that'll push me back into having a new Ork army for 40K. :p It's a vicious cycle of spending, eh?

- Cirrus

Morskul
22-01-2008, 11:26
Well the new Codex has certainly spurred me on to improve my army. It was started with my Gorkamorka mob around a decade ago and lived for a little while in the second edition. Of late I have been concentrating on other armies and I get very little time to paint as it is. However, after the announcement of the new codex, during the holidays I got down to work. I embarked on a new paint scheme and am redoing old paint jobs and conversions. Unfortunately many of my models have really thick painting on them thanks to my formative 40K years. Oh, the folly of youth! When I see the amount of unhighlighted Boltgun Metal on my old shootas it makes me die a little inside.

Needless to say, thanks to a good performance at their testimonial for the end of 3rd edition, the boyz have been promised a couple of new trukks, some bikes and, if they're very good, a few new heavy weapons. Waaagh! Morskul will ride again.

alphastealer
22-01-2008, 11:31
Not me, I am still trying to get my nids to a decent size, 2500pt is not enough when you have a little of everything.

I am hoping a few gamers from my local club will be getting back into it. 4 of them migrated to chaos during the bad old days of the previous cheezy codex since their orks were getting no love.

Now that chaos has been nerfed down a bit and orks have been cranked up I am hoping to see them fielding orks soon.

It will be a big improvement since fighting old style chaos rivaled a trip to the dentist.

Supremearchmarshal
22-01-2008, 13:46
I'm surprised so many people already had Orks.

Yeah amazing isn't it? They were always popular due to good background and models, but their crappy rules and lack of updates made them a rare sight on the battlefield. I know several people who had armies but almost never played until the new codex came out.

MadJackMcJack
22-01-2008, 18:29
Already have a sizable Ork infantry and dread horde, so after boosting my slugga and shoota mobs to 30-strong, I'll be focusing on vehicles. Warbikes are too *******' cool not to!

Azzy
23-01-2008, 03:33
Yeah amazing isn't it? They were always popular due to good background and models, but their crappy rules and lack of updates made them a rare sight on the battlefield. I know several people who had armies but almost never played until the new codex came out.

Hunh. I've maintained a good win ratio with the old codex. Of course the change from 3rd edition to 4th edition required me to retool my army list so that I could stay competitive, but that true with any change in the rules.

Supremearchmarshal
23-01-2008, 12:30
Hunh. I've maintained a good win ratio with the old codex. Of course the change from 3rd edition to 4th edition required me to retool my army list so that I could stay competitive, but that true with any change in the rules.

Well I was speaking from my experience - it wasn't that the old Orks couldn't win, but overall they tended to lose something like 3 games out of 4. The Kult of Speed and Feral Orks performed significantly better, though.