PDA

View Full Version : For Fun: Who's the toughest hombre in the Imperium?

Grand Master Raziel
21-01-2008, 15:03
Just like the poll says. Vote for who you think is the Imperium's most hardcore bad motor-scooter. Explain your vote if you're of a mind to do so. If you voted option 10 (someone I didn't list), please explain who and why. Since I could only list 10 options, I'm sure there are plenty of valid choices that didn't make the cut. I'm not necessarily talking rules here, just plain old grit, guts, and determination.

azimaith
21-01-2008, 15:05
Yarrick. He calmly cuts off a warbosses' head while it cuts off his arm. Yarrick doesn't have super human endurance, pain dampening organs, or anything else. Hes just a normal guy. That makes him harder than any space marine.

biggreengribbly
21-01-2008, 15:17
Colonel Shaeffer. The dude leads Penal legion Suicide missions for a living.

azimaith
21-01-2008, 15:20
"I make a living on suicide missions, I'm not very good at my job."

Chaos and Evil
21-01-2008, 15:25
Abbadon. :D

azimaith
21-01-2008, 15:27
Abbaddon isn't in the imperium. If he is then that area of space isn't imperial space no more. Besides look at his ship, compensating much?

Lord Obsidianus
21-01-2008, 15:28
Grimnar, the only person in the Imperium that routinely tells the rest of the Imperium to **** off and mind their own business.

xibo
21-01-2008, 15:30
Wah! Everything should belong to the emperor! including wherever abbaddon is hiding cowardly :o

Now since you're asking for 'hombre's it's obviously saint celestine.

azimaith
21-01-2008, 15:32
The emperor has been on the crapper for 10 thousand years. I don't know how that quantifies him as being tough. He probably has a digestion problem. Too many psykers give him the runs and all.

biggreengribbly
21-01-2008, 15:34

At least he still has all his original limbs ;)

Grand Master Raziel
21-01-2008, 15:36
If nothing else, Yarrick certainly wins the Clint Eastwood Grit award (and I am kind of expecting him to take this one), but I'm going with Mephiston myself. Mephiston is probably the only guy in the Imperium that can walk up to Abaddon, call him a punk, and get away with it.

Mephiston: Hey, Abaddon! You're a punk!
Abaddon: Who dares...eep! Mephiston! I mean, you're absolutely right! One hundred percent punk!
Mephiston: That's what I thought you'd say!

I also meant to include Jarran Kell in the poll, but there were too many deserving characters and not enough poll options.

Chaos Undecided
21-01-2008, 15:38
Based on pure refusal to lie down and die it has to be Yarrick. Getting an arm torn off, going one on one with the biggest orc boss in existence and getting crushed by a battlefortress and the old bugger is still going strong.

bosstroll
21-01-2008, 15:41
Clearly, Bjorn the Fell Handed, as old as the emperor, but with less bowel problems :D

chosen of chaos
21-01-2008, 15:51
ha!abaddon would laugh in mephistons face

The_Patriot
21-01-2008, 16:13
Sister Miriya.. 'nuff said.

Edzard
21-01-2008, 16:24
From the new Ork Codex, Tuska the Daemon-killa. He is my new 40k hero.

"Eventually Tuska was impaled through the gut by his adversary and pinned to the ground by its cloven hoof. In triumph, the Blood Prince screamed its praise to Khorne, but whilst it was distracted, the warband's remaining Weirdboys unleashed a storm of psychic energy upon the deamon. It roared in rage at their impudence, crushing their minds with a gesture. With his final act, Tuska reached up between the creature's legs with his power klaw and made a gesture of his own."

:D

Qualdinesh
21-01-2008, 16:33
I go with Yarrick, :)

downundercadet07
21-01-2008, 16:33
Yeah Mehpiston.

I understand the argument that Yarrick has to be tough because he has done so much without super-human enhancement, but still, that is sort of an ephemeral toughness. More of a 'hardness' if you will.

Mephiston is the baddest of the bad. He had a freaking cathedral collapse on his face and pin him behind enemy lines while he went insane with the black rage / red thirst. And he mentally pulled himself through it. He is the most powerful controllable psyker in the Imperium after the Emperor, and has an enhanced Space-Marine constitution to boot. Don't forget he is blessed by Sangunius, and is one of the deadliest hand-to-hand fighters in existence.

Yarrick may and probably does have more grit-- but Mephiston is just too boss.

Plus-- Let's say Yarrick is the toughest human alive. Which he may be. Mephiston is the toughest SPACE MARINE alive. So yeah, that should settle that.

Col.Gravis
21-01-2008, 16:36
Grimnar by far - and still has time to campaign for the little guy (Re: 1st Armageddon War).

If you discount the super human Astartes and just look for a plain old human it's Yarrick though.

Dantès
21-01-2008, 16:54
Cypher...he actually hasnt fallen to Chaos, the rest of the DA have! 'Cept, he's the only one that knows it.

Plus, he's got the entire Imperium hunting his ass....

Deadmanwade
21-01-2008, 16:55
Uriel Ventris
As a DA player I should have said Azreal, but his fluff is kinda usual for a marine.
Ventris on the other hand went toe to toe with a freaking C'tan and then opened a can of whupass on a Norn Queen. So Yarrick beat up a few orks, whoopdeedoo. Oh yeah, then "V" took on a planet full of chaos marines. And won!!
I can see why everyone hates smurfs now.:eek:

ZiggyTempest
21-01-2008, 17:03
I think it has to be Gaunt. Not only does he have to deal with chaos and the like but rival regiments that want the tanith wiped off the records.

For tanith!!

ChrisAsmadi
21-01-2008, 17:13
I've gotta say Gregor Eisenhorn, myself.

Dantès
21-01-2008, 17:14
Actually, on second thought...whatever the AM worships has GOT to be tough as hell. The Dragon, is it?

Yeah, IF he in fact is a C'tan, that alone makes him the toughest hombre in the Imperium :p

Shadowphrakt
21-01-2008, 17:18
Mephiston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He can use all 3 BA powers a turn, and his force weapon. so anything that come up against him will get the **** kicked out of them by a vampire!

AngryAngel
21-01-2008, 17:29
You know I'm going to hold it strong with Azrael. I imagine he's got some amazing stories to tell, or have told about him. Come on Dark Angel brothers, rally round your grand master.

As a side note, there is no cypher, but if you wish to talk about the possible implications of such a person, please come and visit the rock, we'd have some questions to ask you.

Goruax
21-01-2008, 17:42
Schaeffer by miles :)

Went toe-to-toe with a Hive Tyrant (and/or a Carnifex?) and came out on top and has led suicide missions for decades.

Im not saying1
21-01-2008, 17:45
Mephiston, the only (Or 1st, I cant remember) Blood Angel to have recovered from the red thirst AND he has been possessed by a daemon and he banished it while it was taking over his mind. Hard nut incarnate

nazrag
21-01-2008, 17:45
Schaeffer is pretty bad ass, but it is his second in command that does all the hard work. Lt Kage ftw!!!!

Shortseer
21-01-2008, 17:49
I went with Schaeffer because the SOB has been leading suicide missions for 200 odd years and keeps on ticking.

My real choice though, is Eisenhorn, if you've read the books, you know, if you haven't, read em.

Im not saying1
21-01-2008, 17:50
The emperor has been on the crapper for 10 thousand years. I don't know how that quantifies him as being tough. He probably has a digestion problem. Too many psykers give him the runs and all.

He is UNIMAGINABLY tough. Firstly destroying the strongest ever living primarch with additional power fed to him by ALL FOUR ruinous powers with just a single blast of his psychic power. He has more preasance in the warp than the 4 ruinous powers COMBINED. And also he holds the Imperial Webway closed with his mind to prevent Terra being overrun with the daemons inside it, and has been doing so for 10,000 years!!
I think thats way beyond mephiston, as badass as he is.

Redstormrisen
21-01-2008, 18:43
Uriel Ventris
As a DA player I should have said Azreal, but his fluff is kinda usual for a marine.
Ventris on the other hand went toe to toe with a freaking C'tan and then opened a can of whupass on a Norn Queen. So Yarrick beat up a few orks, whoopdeedoo. Oh yeah, then "V" took on a planet full of chaos marines. And won!!
I can see why everyone hates smurfs now.:eek:

On that note.

That guardsman in warriors of Ultramar.

The one who killed that Carnifex about to Digest Ventris:P

Baltar
21-01-2008, 18:53
I would say Yarrick and Schaeffer are about tied.

Vault-Dweller
21-01-2008, 19:06
Yarrick hands down. That is one angry old man.

Promethius
21-01-2008, 19:26
Schaeffer is tougher than old boots. Plus his name is an homage to Colonel "Dutch" Schaeffer from Predator (aka Arnie) which is awesome.

floyd pinkerton
21-01-2008, 19:36
Yarrick. I mean, he has a Baneblade. Good luck Mephiston:D

flyfire29
21-01-2008, 19:37
I was torn between Yarrick (a commissar so scary/inspirational that everyone around him stays in line without him having to executing anyone) and Schaeffer(what kind of maniac volunteers to lead suicide missions for a living???). My vote went to Schaeffer, but after thinking out my post, it should have gone to Yarrick. If there were a Grey Knight Grandmaster in the list, i would have chosen him, simply for the fact that one of them can kill even a Greater Daemon with absolutely no problem.

Radish
21-01-2008, 19:47
Azrael has a secret story, much like the whole DA, which makes him the coolest! And he leads who, IMO, represent 40k in all its glory, dark, gothic, stubborn, solemn and vengeful!

Soulless Enigma
21-01-2008, 19:53
Eisenhorn's daemonhost Cherubael. He one-hitted a titan without breaking a sweat, and was unscathed by the explosion afterwards. As he's under Inquisitional 'control', I think he counts as an Imperial... I think...

Lord Raneus
21-01-2008, 20:31
Marneus Calgar. He eats Hive Fleets for breakfast, with a side helping of Ork in the afternoon.

Although, I might have to say Colonel Schaeffer. That guy is SCARY.

TheOverlord
21-01-2008, 20:39
The fanboyism in this thread is rank :D

But to answer the OP's question, I would probably say Brother Captain Stern from the Grey Knights, or possibly one of their Chapter Masters. Or one of the unknown Custodes, who knows. The Emperor is possibly the hardest, since you know, being dead and all hasn't really stopped him from being... dead. (And wtf is this nonsense about him having more presence in the warp than all 4 ruinous powers O.o That is about as fanboy as it gets.) The perimeters of this question is too vast to answer. I mean, technically, Roboute Guilliman is still part of the Imperium, is not lost (in stasis, really) and would quialify as the 'ardest individual in the Imperium.

chosen of chaos
21-01-2008, 20:46
inquisitor czevak, he's really the only guy doing anything about the tyranids and even when he has been called traitor he still help the imperium

Vaul
21-01-2008, 21:18
The Lion, because he's totally still alive! Just biding his time...

colmarekblack
21-01-2008, 21:38
Yarrick, common the guys elderly and still kicking Ork ass!!!

Colonel Schaeffer whilst being 200 years old is completely awesome. Arnie took his name for Predator not the other way round ;)

Mephiston is awesome but the fact he was already superhuman to begin with kinda puts him outa contention.

Ergo my vote goes to and being a Penal Legion commander myself, Colonel Schaffer.

Havock
21-01-2008, 23:06
Ciaphas Cain.

Captain Micha
21-01-2008, 23:07
Yarrick, because he is old decrypt and still able to take down ork warbosses.

Biomass Denial
21-01-2008, 23:20
Yeah im saying Brother Captain Stern just because he has an ongoing rivalry with a greater deamon and hes still alive.

logosloki
21-01-2008, 23:21
Macharius or vandire :D who to choose, who to choose.

LordJose
21-01-2008, 23:23
ey guys, space marines arent humans, just mutants...

I will say any inquisitors, good armed, good trained, fighting everyday of the week against aliens, mutants and heretics

Norsehawk
22-01-2008, 00:08
Ciaphas Cain, Even when he died, he was left on active duty.

JimmyP0567
22-01-2008, 00:23
Colonel Schaeffer for sure, he gets his arm melted off by plasma and just keeps fighting. There's reference to him having someone elses eyes as well as a new spine, after having his crushed by a tank. He regains his arm from some cloneing technology by the Adeptus Mechanicus as a favour.

Plus he leads some of the biggest badasses in the Imperium (despite their crimes) and they're all afraid of him, including Kage, who won his Freedom, and got put right back into the 13th Legion.

Varath- Lord Impaler
22-01-2008, 00:30
Colonel Iron Hand Straken gets my vote.

He's all man (well...whats left that is)

JimmyP0567
22-01-2008, 00:35
Colonel Iron Hand Straken gets my vote.

He's all man (well...whats left that is)

The one who was attacked by a landshark, and then proceeded to kill it after it ripped off his arm? sounds a bit too much like Yarrick to me.

goblinmedics
22-01-2008, 04:07
To all you people who think Mephiston being a Marine makes him less hard..
It's the opposite. He kills mere men like Yarrick with a GLANCE. Not to mention even without his psychic powers, he'd still whip any non-marine on the list easily, and have a better-than-fighting chance against any of the marines there.

Captain Micha
22-01-2008, 04:08
Mephiston is a psychic marine. which makes him doubly disqualified.

Varath- Lord Impaler
22-01-2008, 05:07
The one who was attacked by a landshark, and then proceeded to kill it after it ripped off his arm? sounds a bit too much like Yarrick to me.

and most of his chest and face.

And he beat it to death

You think somone getting attacked, hurt, then killinghis attacker is something new?

Luke Skywalker? :P

hush88
22-01-2008, 05:23
I'd say Ciaphas Cain. What has he not survived against?

Nveci
22-01-2008, 05:23
Colonel Schaeffer because all he had was a bolter and a posion blade (IIRC), and he could scare my SM opponents so that they'd avoid his part of the table. I do love Yarrick's role in the fluff of the IG, but seeing Schaeffer jump out of a jungle in full camo and slicing down a squad is just a sight too hard to resist.

bdo
22-01-2008, 05:34
inquisitor kryptman.

he is the only person known in existence (to me) to have exterminated over a thousand worlds (correct me if my numbers are wrong) belonging to the empire, thereby killing billions willingly.

and he fought with ventris against a norn queen and most likely not even the emperor knows against what else nid creatures... and beside beeing declared a heretic he still helps the imperials from the shadows...

just doing "his thing" regardless of all odds and having success is what makes him so badass to me :D :skull:

Dantès
22-01-2008, 05:47
inquisitor kryptman.

he is the only person known in existence (to me) to have exterminated over a thousand worlds (correct me if my numbers are wrong) belonging to the empire, thereby killing billions willingly.

Doesn't take balls to press a button.

bdo
22-01-2008, 05:48
that doesn´t phase the fight with norn queen out...

and i´d say: depends on the button :D

Dantès
22-01-2008, 06:23
that doesn´t phase the fight with norn queen out...

and i´d say: depends on the button :D

True.

The Warp has no wrath as a Sister of Battle scorned :p

Maximuspandem
22-01-2008, 06:37
Got to be Colonel Schaeffer...he is a no nonsense take no S@#t kinda guy...

yes commissar yarrick is hard as nails but he cares to much, for the people he fights for and the people he fights with.

To be really hard you need to not give a flying monkeys about anyone apart from getting the mission done...with gritted teeth if necessary. well that’s what i think Colonel Schaeffer would say anyway

Dragonlv8
22-01-2008, 06:44
Gaunt will eat you for lunch and then Grimualdos will kill the witneses so the cops can't arrest Gaunt.

Just thought you should know, don't mess with them...

Biomass Denial
22-01-2008, 11:30
Another one is some of the cadian storm troopers from Eisenhorn. Our guns wont fire and this deamon is killing people by looking at them lets stab the **********.

alphastealer
22-01-2008, 12:03
I would go with Commander Shrike of the Raven Guard. That guy is lightening fast and able to do serious damage from turn 1.

Shrikes wing make a great retinue, imagine all those lightening claws..oooh.

Varath- Lord Impaler
22-01-2008, 12:13
Even though ive already voted, i say Captain Cortez deserves a mention

"Oh thank you ive now disarmed you BY ALLOWING YOU TO SICK YOUR SWORD IN MY CHEST!"

Tves
22-01-2008, 12:20
A bio engineered super human space marine can't possibly qualify for being hard, thats like commending a tank on being unfeeling.

Schafeer got my vote, no fancy forcefields and gimiky laser eyes. Just a blade and some guts behind it. Plus anyone based on Lee Marvin has to be badass

Wolflord Havoc
22-01-2008, 12:46
I voted for the Old Wolf......basically because I'm biased and he is a hard old Wolf.

Hardest Human.......hmmmmm.......I would vote for Ibram or one of his ghosts MKvenner or Mkoll.

Ward.
22-01-2008, 13:05
I reckon that "sly marbo"? catachan fella is pretty close to the hardest, but it's odd (perhaps ironic) that the toughest individual the imperium seems to have to offer is a guardsmen :p

Meathook
22-01-2008, 13:20
You can't discount space marines for being super human. I mean they more or less went though hell to be even considered for space marine training. Then they go though all heck with ritualized surgery. After that they go though more crazy training and surgery to become a full space marine. I mean knocking them outta the running, you gotta get rid of everyone who has ever had some cyborg stuff put into them too.

Maybe thats just how I see it.

But I gotta say even still, I think its between the Special Characters of the Imperial guard. They have a **** job and they know it, and still they just man through it.

Slugga
22-01-2008, 13:30
From the new Ork Codex, Tuska the Daemon-killa. He is my new 40k hero.

"Eventually Tuska was impaled through the gut by his adversary and pinned to the ground by its cloven hoof. In triumph, the Blood Prince screamed its praise to Khorne, but whilst it was distracted, the warband's remaining Weirdboys unleashed a storm of psychic energy upon the deamon. It roared in rage at their impudence, crushing their minds with a gesture. With his final act, Tuska reached up between the creature's legs with his power klaw and made a gesture of his own."

:D

Its ironic that Tuska means pain/agony in finnish! :D

slasher
22-01-2008, 13:38
The living saint of course.... i mean she starts off as a repentia, then on failing to die goes on to lead the crusade.

Lastie
22-01-2008, 14:22
Commissar Yarrick is the hardest being in the 40K universe, and here's the mathematical proof:

The Primarchs can defeat Greater Daemons, as Sanguinius proved by breaking the back of a Bloodthirster. Using this, we can verify that:
Primarchs > Greater Daemons, where '>' is 'more powerful than'.

The Emperor defeated Horus, greatest of the Primarchs, leading us to:
Emperor > Primarchs

However, an Ork Warboss managed to almost defeat the Emperor, and would have killed him if Horus had not intervened. This leads us to:
Ork Warboss > Emperor

Yarrick has defeated several Warbosses, and has survived combat with the greatest of them, Gazghkull, on repeated occasions. This leads us to the final part of the equation:
Yarrick > Ork Warboss

Logically, we can now assume that:
Yarrick > The Emperor, making Commissar Yarrick the hardest being in the universe. :p

Grand Master Raziel
22-01-2008, 14:37
Even though ive already voted, i say Captain Cortez deserves a mention

"Oh thank you ive now disarmed you BY ALLOWING YOU TO SICK YOUR SWORD IN MY CHEST!"

You're just a sucker for a good impaling, Varath.

Jimbobjeff
22-01-2008, 15:13
I have to second Cherubael, he kills a warlord titan by looking at it...

TzeentchForPresident
22-01-2008, 15:32
Mephiston is the thoughest I have faced on a battlefield. I have read that Commisar Yarrick is hard to take down, but no Imperial Guard player I have met have used him.

Anyway my vote is on Mephiston.

EldarWolf
22-01-2008, 16:49
I voted for Gaunt, although a close second is Ex Sister Ephrael Stern (infiltrate Dark Eldar homeland and beat them?)

Black Antelope
22-01-2008, 19:52
Lord Inq. Kyptman with out a dout. He may not be the best fighter, but he is one of the best tactiations the Imperium has and has saved then from all the hive fleets. Also, when he was decleared a heritic he just said bugger you and carryed on with what he was doing. And deathwatch love him. And who else would try and kidnap genestealers?

Ronin_eX
22-01-2008, 21:31
Toughest natural human would likely be up between Yarrick or any number of Inquisitor Lords (these guys are supposed to give Daemons the creeps and be more than a match for a Space Marine). Simply because he has background I'd say Yarrick wins out in the human category.

That said this thread isn't about the toughest human in the Imperium but simply the toughest person in the Imperium whether they could be considered human or not is of no importance. So for this we have a few who have been put up against nearly impossible odds yet still survived to fight again.

Chaplain Grimaldus - He just wont stay down and managed to rally a defense in a hopeless situation. He now carries pieces of the chapel that fell on him around as relics.

Interrogator-Chaplain Asmodai - His job is to make chaos marines weep for their sins and what's more he causes so much terror in them that he has even succeeded. Though he doesn't hold the record for most fallen turned he is the greatest living Interrogator-Chaplain in the Dark Angels.

Master Belial - Went toe-to-toe with Ghazkul while coordinating a planet wide defense. He survived the fight against the greatest living Warboss and managed to turn back the assault of a Waaagh! led by not one but two warbosses. Other than Yarrick he is the only person to get put on Ghaz's personal grudge list.

Cortez - He is willing to cause physical damage to himself in order to win a fight. He is the embodiment of unflinching resolve.

Mephiston - Possibly the Imperium's biggest bad ****. A church fell on him and he overcame something that was previously thought to kill 100% of those that received it. He is now a powerful combat psyker and few can match his ferocity and resolve. To put it short he's dead 'ard.

Commisar Yarrick - To put it short he is likely the most tenacious old coot ever to live. He has stood against impossible odds twice and won. For being the primary reason Armageddon still stood when the BA and Salamanders got there he certainly counts as being tough as they come.

Thos are my main candidates (and yes a fair few of them are Space Marines but being the embodiment of the heroic archetype I think they deserve to be in the running). In the end despite Yarrick's achievements I will go with Mephiston as he is just plain tough as they come (sorry Asmodai and Belial).

Serg. Lynchbox
22-01-2008, 22:29
Aright, you have to read the book THE LAST CHANCERS by Gav Thorpe and then tell me he's not the baddest muthera trucker working for the Emperor. He's not a space marine, BUT he's lived for who knows how long. His eyes are from a man thats now a servitor and who knows where he got his new arm when a metla blast ripped it off without him even showing any signs of pain. He's willing to kill as many troops in suicidal missions to get the best of the best! If you cloned more bastards like Schaeffer, we wouldn't need to have expensive SPACE MARINES! Only notorious criminals who will win wars for the emperor.... I say thats killing two gaunts with one rock :evilgrin:MuAHAHAHA
When I play my Last Chancers, I have full heavy weapons on all 9 of them with autocannons (the other nine have to be their reloader) and at BS 4, 18 shots total, you got a crap load of fire power coming your way!

Brother-Captain De Angele
22-01-2008, 22:29
Callidus Assassin M'shen she killed night haunter makes her the best.
ps:i know night haunter/konrad kurze the night lord primarch wanted to die but she hasnt fell to chaos so she is the best, anyone else who's killed a primarch is in a vegetative state, dead or fallen to chaos she hasnt! maken her the big hombre of the imperium.

Super Ninja
22-01-2008, 23:01
toughest Marine: Mephiston: litteraly has tougness 5 :)
toughest human: Yarrick: you should know if you've read this thread.
Toughest inquisitor: Cevak: got interogated by Ahriman as to where the Black Library was but he didnt tell.

LoneSniperSG
22-01-2008, 23:02
Grimnar, the only person in the Imperium that routinely tells the rest of the Imperium to **** off and mind their own business.

I was going to vote otherwise, but.. based on this point.. well, Grimnar takes the cake.. er.. ale.

nooobie 69
22-01-2008, 23:24
ok in game terms i beat mephiston with a unit of 6 gaunts (nids) and 3 ripper bases... shot one wound of from gaunts took a wound in cc from gaunts and the rippers...

so i would say overall brother captain stern. Only because he has a tzeentch deamon after him while banishing it 3 times and the fact that hes a grey knight.

Logic512
22-01-2008, 23:31
Chuck Norris

...well, someone had to do it; might as well be me

Super Ninja
23-01-2008, 00:16
Well, in game terms my mephiston single handedly killed a wraithlord in cc with all of its wounds.

chosen of chaos
23-01-2008, 00:24
yeah, inquisitor czevak is cool

kadun
23-01-2008, 00:42
When I play my Last Chancers, I have full heavy weapons on all 9 of them with autocannons (the other nine have to be their reloader) and at BS 4, 18 shots total, you got a crap load of fire power coming your way!
I just Deep Strike 20 of them all with Plasma Guns. 3 Leman Russes and a few Hellhounds clean up whats left.

Vaz84
23-01-2008, 01:19
I always felt the story of the emperor being choked by an orc was more of a "trying" to choke the emperor.

Emperor: "Wow this turtleneck is tight today! Should have told the servitors to hang to dry, not use the sacred dryer given to me by the ad mech!"
Horus: "Thats just an orc warboss father" <horus swings blade and severs orcs arm>
Emperor: "Oh, I didnt notice, I was busy thinking about stuff"
Horus: "What kinda stuff?"
Emperor: "ahh, just the warp.."
Horus: "The warp?"
Emperor: <raises eyebows> "look the unknown primarch!"
Hours: "where!?"

I'd go with Loken, takes a power fist to the chest and lives.

JustTony
23-01-2008, 02:45
Has to be Captain Stern. This is from a fluff perspective, not gaming. Plus the connection (in my mind) with the old "Heavy Metal" movie is just hysterical.

"STERN! HANGING'S TOO GOOD FOR 'IM! BURNING'S TOO GOOD FOR 'IM! HE SHOULD BE TORN IN LITTLE BITTY PIECES AND BURIED ALIVE! I'LL KILL HIM! KILL HIM" cue Cheap Trick music

Great film, especially when plastered.

Peace: through superior firepower.

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-01-2008, 03:11
Callidus Assassin M'shen she killed night haunter makes her the best.
ps:i know night haunter/konrad kurze the night lord primarch wanted to die but she hasnt fell to chaos so she is the best, anyone else who's killed a primarch is in a vegetative state, dead or fallen to chaos she hasnt! maken her the big hombre of the imperium.

So if a kindergardener picks a fight with me and I let him smack me across the face till I'm unconscious, that kid is a bad motha****a.

Yarrick. Nuff said.

Brother-Captain De Angele
23-01-2008, 06:39
So if a kindergardener picks a fight with me and I let him smack me across the face till I'm unconscious, that kid is a bad motha****a.

Yarrick. Nuff said.
Not exactly she still had to get past heaps of night lord to kill konrad kurze but i like your metaphor its a lol:p

Serg. Lynchbox
23-01-2008, 06:39
I just Deep Strike 20 of them all with Plasma Guns. 3 Leman Russes and a few Hellhounds clean up whats left.
How did that work for armies like nids? Actually I would like to know how that went with all the races you have played with that army.... I am intrigued!

Chaplain of Chaos
23-01-2008, 06:45
Commissar Yarrick because he's got a big claw arm and doesn't afraid of anything.

Son of Morkai
23-01-2008, 08:49
In terms of combat capabilities, it has to be Cortez. Sure, Yarrick had his arm ripped off, but Cortez uses his rib cage as a close combat weapon. It's hard to beat that. Ragnar comes close, since he bit a man to death. That's just plain cool. There's also the Eversor Assassin who wiped out Clan Mackenzie, at one point using a silver soup spoon and a butter knife.

As far as who has the biggest set of stones... that's Grimnar. Easily. He wasn't the first to tell the Imperium to frak off, and he wasn't the last, but he was the only one to do so without being declared a traitor and chased out of the Imperium.

Griffin
23-01-2008, 09:15
Yarrick - he's just your regular Joe, who ripped a orks head off minus a arm.

Promethius
23-01-2008, 10:14
I think Schaeffer trumps Yarrick though just because of his breadth of experience - Yarrick is hard, but he only fights Orks. Schaeffer has fought 'nids, chaos space marines, orks, traitors and various previously unknown alien races and still come out on top. Hard as nails.

Cill
23-01-2008, 10:53
May or may not be around any more but....
Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-01-2008, 21:37
I think Schaeffer trumps Yarrick though just because of his breadth of experience - Yarrick is hard, but he only fights Orks. Schaeffer has fought 'nids, chaos space marines, orks, traitors and various previously unknown alien races and still come out on top. Hard as nails.

Yarrick doesn't only fight Orks. :wtf: He'd fight any enemy of the Imperium, as would any loyal Emperor-fearing warrior. He fights alongside Creed against the Warmaster Abaddon (while riding dirty in his Baneblade ;)) in that Apocalypse battle report. It's just that, well, when you're on a world that gets hit successively by the two biggest Waaaghs in Imperial history... you tend to spend more of your time fighting Orks than anything else.

Kelderaith
23-01-2008, 23:24
I have voted for Czevak, since before reading this post, I had pretty much excluded space marines as potential candidates, and that in the universe of 40k, knowledge is true power, so one of the greatest inquisitor lord just has to be badass...

Sure, he didn't kill Ork warbosses nor led several suicide missions, but he achieved more with his findings than prolly those 2, and as someone put out, launching an exterminatus don't kill 1 individual, it kills the whole invasion (and loyalist alike but hell, there's always a price to pay I guess...)

For most of you who actually counted Space Marines as viable choices, if the poll is designed this way, it just makes all normal human choices obsolete in my humble opinion since even as badass Yarrick and Shaeffer are, they didn't uphold the special training of a space marine, a thus, even a lowliest marine would be tougher than them, both in logic and in game term.

SonOFSanguinius
24-01-2008, 01:37
Mepheston overcame the black rage! and there is a 1 in 144 chance that a lasgun will wound him!

Kelderaith
24-01-2008, 03:50
then again, it's like saying there is 1 chance in 144 a flashlight will wound human, you clearly don't count scales on that...

Serg. Lynchbox
24-01-2008, 05:09
Yarrick doesn't only fight Orks. :wtf: He'd fight any enemy of the Imperium, as would any loyal Emperor-fearing warrior. He fights alongside Creed against the Warmaster Abaddon (while riding dirty in his Baneblade ;)) in that Apocalypse battle report. It's just that, well, when you're on a world that gets hit successively by the two biggest Waaaghs in Imperial history... you tend to spend more of your time fighting Orks than anything else.
Although you have a point about Yarrick has to use most of his time killing Orks cause there's so much of them trying to take his head off for another trophy. BUT.... he doesn't have to deal with criminals alongside him and hoping that he wont get shot in the back! He's got a bunch of guardsmen willing to risk their lives for Yarrick. Gaunt in the otherhand practically has to deal with enemies (criminals) 24/7.... either on a Imperial ship vessel or on a battlefield on a planet. Plus.... he fought a Hive Tyrant!

Serg. Lynchbox
24-01-2008, 05:27
I have voted for Czevak, since before reading this post, I had pretty much excluded space marines as potential candidates, and that in the universe of 40k, knowledge is true power, so one of the greatest inquisitor lord just has to be badass...

Sure, he didn't kill Ork warbosses nor led several suicide missions, but he achieved more with his findings than prolly those 2, and as someone put out, launching an exterminatus don't kill 1 individual, it kills the whole invasion (and loyalist alike but hell, there's always a price to pay I guess...)

For most of you who actually counted Space Marines as viable choices, if the poll is designed this way, it just makes all normal human choices obsolete in my humble opinion since even as badass Yarrick and Shaeffer are, they didn't uphold the special training of a space marine, a thus, even a lowliest marine would be tougher than them, both in logic and in game term.

Knowledge might be power but knowing a crap load of info wont help you when you have a bolter in your face! launching a "launching an exterminatus" can be done by any one of these candidates.... he just happens to be given that power cause of the power of the Inquisition (damn fools!). I sort of agree with the regular humans and superhumans. I believe that it not just smarts of an Inquisitor or the strength of a space marine.This great and powerful servant of the Emperor AKA numero uno has to be lucky, trained well, instinctive, strategic, sixth sense, and have connections. If Yarrick didn't have an army behind his back, he would be a head on a trophy rack right now. I believe people are voting for this guy because he is well known for some reason.

boogle
24-01-2008, 11:48
Biggreengribbly - azreal got his **** kicked by Arkos the faithless, so isn't very hard at all.

Lord Raneus - Calgar was nearly killed by a spore mine on Ichar IV, so he isn't that tough either

Freak Ona Leash
24-01-2008, 12:00
Colonel "Iron-Hand" Straken. He was savaged by one of the deadliest predators in the galaxy. He lost his arm and much of his chest. His response was to bite it's throat out. He's Sergeant-goddamn-Hartman but as a Catachan.

Or Sly Marbo. He's been awarded the highest honor the Imperium can offe multiple times. He's been through so much killing that he is no longer anything close to human...at least mentally. In other words, he is basically a Space Marine without all the biotech enhancements! :D

Yeah, I lurve Catachans.

yaspro
24-01-2008, 12:01
Yarrick. He calmly cuts off a warbosses' head while it cuts off his arm. Yarrick doesn't have super human endurance, pain dampening organs, or anything else. Hes just a normal guy. That makes him harder than any space marine.

thts the worst explanation ever. any space marine can kill him easily in fluff anyway maybe rules r diffferent.

Stormsender
24-01-2008, 12:53
Mephiston he's part of the imperium, is tougher than Yarrick, Schaeffer, Gaunt, well anyone rules wise and fluff wise. He gets my vote.

Kriegschmidt
24-01-2008, 13:13

Until he pulls off his mask and reveals that he's actually a Necron sent back from the future to alter the course of the Imperium ;)

Grazzy
24-01-2008, 16:27
I voted mephiston, as he is more uber than any other marine i can think of. However, it was a close call between him and yarrik - yarrik is more hard without augmentation but all that space marine psycho-conditioning stuff puts mephiston ahead.

Avaron
24-01-2008, 19:03
hmm well there is inquisitor ravanor. described as haveing been crippled byond the measure of a mans endurance and after that going on to become a highly successful inquistor.

or his mentor the reason inquisitors in 40K get the ability to choose to pass or fail moral tests. Eisenhorn has been broken beaten and nearly killed dozens of times.. on 3 seperate occasions he basily was forced to learn to walk again after being crippled.

now if it wasent just about being tough
Mkvenner may be an amazeing bad ass. this guy is human and fights alone against a demonhost with nothing but his knife.

Frep
24-01-2008, 19:14
Commissar Caiphas Cain, if only because he manages to kill untold enemies by accident. Ie: tripping and cutting the enemies head off.

BrainFireBob
24-01-2008, 21:46
Hellebore. He's a Zen Taoist Nazi Ninja Blowfish.

Iacton Qruze
24-01-2008, 22:17
Scout Mkvenner

he can hold off daemons and platoons of blood pact with an empty lasgun.

all these others need power swords/psychic powers/space marine phisiology to rock.

Mkvenner just uses a stick.

Da Black Gobbo
24-01-2008, 22:26
Julius Hawke!!! the laziest and most unlucky git in the the guard...naaah he is the third.

--Yarrick, He is El verdadero tio duro. A man that fought against the biggest warboss ever seen and more than once.

--Logan Grimmar: If space wolves are Though hombres, then their chapter lord must be the Thougest .

--Hawke: poor unlucky heroic bastard.

Templarx88
24-01-2008, 22:31
Has anybody said Ciaphas Cain?

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-01-2008, 23:10
Until he pulls off his mask and reveals that he's actually a Necron sent back from the future to alter the course of the Imperium ;)

Nice.

Scout Mkvenner

he can hold off daemons and platoons of blood pact with an empty lasgun.

all these others need power swords/psychic powers/space marine phisiology to rock.

Mkvenner just uses a stick.

Yarrick earned his power fist by ripping it off an Ork Warboss. And I'd trust him to kick ass more with a stick than any Scout. :P

Hand of Dume
25-01-2008, 02:03
Abbaddon isn't in the imperium. If he is then that area of space isn't imperial space no more. Besides look at his ship, compensating much?

abaddon may not be imperial anymore, but i'd put him up against anyone or thing in the known universe, even a c'tan. he's a monster!:evilgrin:

Khaine's Messenger
25-01-2008, 02:31
In terms of flavor text? Yarrick. There was a piece of flavor text around ArmIII that described him in a command tent and then strapping on his powerklaw, all from the perspective of another Guard character; the tone was just inspiring. In terms of sheer badassery? Schaeffer. He's lived through things that no one should. In terms of "...wow." moments ("we're talkin' wrath of god, here!")? Saint Celestine. Oh my, yes. The Living Martyr....

Of those three criteria, I think I'll pick...eeny, meeny...Celestine. :o

Shinguuji
25-01-2008, 02:40
I'm a BA player, but i voted yarrick. I think of him as some grizzled old man shouting at stuff.... Well, mephiston obviously has nothing to fear, since he's a space marine, has the best stats among any space marines, is his chapter's head librarian, and is the only fellow that can use 3(!) psychic powers among all the librarians. He has nothing to fear, if anything, he's badass., but that's just what is EXPECTED of him.

Yarrick is just a normal human being that got replaced over and over with cybernetic parts, he has to face orks twice his size, a coward governor, he's the man between a rock and a hard place, but hey, he smashed the rock and ate the hard place, he's as tough as nails, and a old man to boot, he has plenty to fear, but fear nothing, he overcome things way beyond expectation for a normal human being. I see him as the guy to challenge anyone or anything and still win. He is far beyond what life and fate has brought him, and therefore is the toughest

ViperMagnum357
25-01-2008, 04:12
Eisenhorn.
He's been crippled, rebuilt, and relearned how to move and fight a half dozen times; fighting-wise, he can take out a dreadnought with a forcesword, go toe to toe with a corrupt inquisitor augmented by his psychic powers wielding a daemon weapon, and can complete destroy a daemonhost-a prince level daemon bound in a powerful psyker-with a psychic blast focussed through a runestaff, wiping it from existence- a feat virtually unheard of outside of the greatest Grey Knights.:eek:
Oh, and of course he binds and enslaves Daemons of prince-level power, utilizes warp sorcery to augment his own considerable power, and his personal weapons. His runestaff and forcesword Barbarisater can kill pretty much anything. Sure, most everyone on the list is a more proficient killer, and most of them are harder and more skilled: But only Kryptman takes as similar a view with the big picture, and not even Kryptman, who consigned a thousand worlds and untold billions to oblivion just to slow down the enemy, doesn't have the stones to do a lot of what Eisenhorn has.:evilgrin: There are stronger, faster and more skilled people, but no one has Gregor's fortitude, who does not back down or give up even in the face of humanity's extinction by his own actions or inactions: Not even even Logan or Mephiston would throw that around without pause. :skull:

Bran Dawri
25-01-2008, 11:12
Grimnar beyond a shadow of a doubt. Nobody else alive can tell the Imperium to sod off and get away with it.

Nor do I know of anyone else who will personally take on a Waaagh because he "hasn't had a good fight in years!".

alpha_dude
25-01-2008, 16:56
Sly Marbo, the one man army!

Catapault
26-01-2008, 02:47
Obviously it's Yarrick that's best, 'cause he doesn't have super strength, yet he can stand his ground against the biggest warboss ever! (the metal arm is pretty bad ass too!)
Hands down Yarrick.

dr.oetk3r
26-01-2008, 03:18
Sly Marbo, the one man army!

Of course. Sly FTW.

He routinely single-handedly destroys armies.

Hicks
26-01-2008, 04:21
If the question was who's the toughest human in the Imperium I would have voted Yarrick in a heart beat.

I voted for the 10th option. I would believe that the toughest individual in the Imperium would be one of the most senior Grey Knight grandmasters.

feelnopain666
26-01-2008, 06:28
I'm for the girl! :D Now really, who doesnt like a flying babe, with a corset-like armour? And the best is that there's a lot of Living Saints.

Stormhammers
26-01-2008, 06:58
I voted Yarrick, just from stories as well as actually playing a few games with him, very ruthless, very tough. Sly marbo as someone mentioned would come in 2nd, then perhaps Lord Solar Macharius. Marbo is no longer valid, technically being as the catachan codex is obsolete (but who cares, I still use it anyway) and Macharius, he's just cool, not particularly a Yarrick, but still a bad mother..."shut your mouth" Oh, by the way, can you tell I play guard?

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-01-2008, 07:04
I voted Yarrick, just from stories as well as actually playing a few games with him, very ruthless, very tough. Sly marbo as someone mentioned would come in 2nd, then perhaps Lord Solar Macharius. Marbo is no longer valid, technically being as the catachan codex is obsolete (but who cares, I still use it anyway) and Macharius, he's just cool, not particularly a Yarrick, but still a bad mother..."shut your mouth" Oh, by the way, can you tell I play guard?

If you want to talk tough mothas, you forgot Straken. He's not as tough as Yarrick (I've always thought that man should have been written as a former Catachan, he's hella tough, especially for an offworlder), but he got his arm and part of his torso ripped off by a land shark, and still killed the shark. I mean, seriously. Imagine. :wtf:

Straken and Yarrick should take on Abby sometime, show him what real front-line generals look like. If those two ever went Chaotic the Imperium would be down for the count after their first Black Crusade. But that wouldn't happen, because if their loyalty started to falter then the universe would implode. :angel:

EDIT: By the way, forgetting to put Straken in the poll for 'toughest hombres' in favor of some nancy-bois who need genetic augmentation to do what they do is fail on a colossal level. :P

sabreu
26-01-2008, 07:10
I vote for Commissar Ciaphas Cain. Why? Because much like in the real world, only perception matters.

We may know Mephiston may be the strongest ever, but um, 90% of the Imperium doesn't know it.

Stormhammers
26-01-2008, 07:55
If you want to talk tough mothas, you forgot Straken. He's not as tough as Yarrick (I've always thought that man should have been written as a former Catachan, he's hella tough, especially for an offworlder), but he got his arm and part of his torso ripped off by a land shark, and still killed the shark. I mean, seriously. Imagine. :wtf:

Straken and Yarrick should take on Abby sometime, show him what real front-line generals look like. If those two ever went Chaotic the Imperium would be down for the count after their first Black Crusade. But that wouldn't happen, because if their loyalty started to falter then the universe would implode. :angel:

EDIT: By the way, forgetting to put Straken in the poll for 'toughest hombres' in favor of some nancy-bois who need genetic augmentation to do what they do is fail on a colossal level. :P

oooh, good ol' iron hand...almost forgot about him, I would like to have Yarrick and Straken go toe to toe...hell, I can do that now, hold on, just have to find my codices and my yarrick (I guess a cool looking catachan can proxy for straken for now)

GodofWarTx
26-01-2008, 09:26
I would say Veteran Saergant Cloetin (at last i think thats his name). The Blood Angel keeper of the Grail who was Dante's Scout Saergant when Dante was but a recruit! Anyone who has lived 1400-odd years and still pees lightning and craps thunder has got to be one tough hombre.

heretics bane
26-01-2008, 14:48
For overall normal human badass yarrick but for shear awesome-nes Mkol from the tanith books, took down a chaos dreadnought with his lasgun have to give it to him.

As for over all badass-nes would either be brother captain stern for defeating the same Greater deamon twice

Grand Master Raziel
27-01-2008, 13:52

:cries: I'm crushed with shame at my failure! ;)

Anyhow, this poll's been up for about a week. It's been fun, and everyone's had a good time with it, but it looks like interest is starting to slip, so it's time to tally the results. Old Yarrick won pretty handily, with Mephiston coming in a solid second. Grimnar got third place, and Schaeffer came in fourth, with Saint Celestine and Colonel-Commissar Gaunt making strong showings. I think what this goes to show is that just being a Space Marine isn't enough for a character to be considered one of the Imperium's hardest. Personality is important, and all the top contenders have that in spades.

There were a lot of votes for the "Other" category, too. I think the most commonly mentioned individuals there were Brother Captain Stern, Straken, and Sly Marbo. I'd have mentioned Stern if space permitted - in retrospect, I think he might have gotten more votes than Czevak or Grimaldus. The other two, I admit, I've only ever seen vague references to.

Anyhow, time to wrap it up, and let this thread go to where good threads go when they die. I'm thinking about doing a similar poll for Chaos next, but I won't be broken up about it if someone beats me to it. Cheers, ladies and gents, and thanks for participating!

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-01-2008, 20:16
:cries: I'm crushed with shame at my failure! ;)

Yeah, I'll forgive you. :p This time. ;)

If there's ever a poll like this there should be two: one for Marines and one for mortals. But that can wait.

At least a week, eh?

freebooter
27-01-2008, 22:54
Grimnar takes the cake...

He is just a tank...

And to top it off he has had the best sculpt for ages. He was always the most dynamic terminator fig and definately the most active sculpt for a Chapter Master.

Archangel_Ruined
27-01-2008, 23:02
Yarrick is the coolest hard man, Clint Eastwood style. I voted Mephiston though, because keeping the film star similies going, he'd be Bruce Lee. Clint is hard in a real life, drinking and swearing, batter you to a pulp kind of way, and of course effortlessly cool. Bruce Lee could just kill you, he wouldn't break a sweat doing it either.

Imperialis_Dominatus
27-01-2008, 23:02
Not exactly she still had to get past heaps of night lord to kill konrad kurze but i like your metaphor its a lol:p

Just looked it up on Lexi and it turns out she faced no guards on her way to Night Haunter. So, my metaphor stands. :p

Ravenheart
27-01-2008, 23:22
Mephiston of course ... but then again, I'm completely baised.

Str10_hurts
27-01-2008, 23:31
I defined toughest as Bruce Willis playing in die hard.

So from the list that means grimaldus for me...really this guy believes so mutch in the imperium that the refuses to die! and he take's along a few noobs just to let them know how to become as tough as he is (and he is acctually Chuck Norris).

But the most bad-ass guy ever to have walked is brother Clothen. This guy runs into enemy flamers to get rid of clinging on enemy's, charges titans and destroy's it and lives. Fights of his evil self that is empowerd by chaos...loses his arm tough.
Anyway read the bloodquest series and you will know just how tough he is.

Copenhagan
28-01-2008, 00:23
I play DA and I would have to say Cypher.

For one he stab a C'tan. and I don't care what kind of enhancements you have that takes some big brass ones. Then he shot a member of Abaddon's retinue one the command deck of the planet killer and got away with it. He is the most hunted member of the Fallen. And finally hes trying to redeem hie self and all other Fallen.

Triggerdog
28-01-2008, 00:27
I'd say either Grimaldus because he doesnt freaking die or Azrael because of the whole 4+ invulnerable thing.

You didnt have Inquisitor Lord Karamazov on there and hes a beast.

sabre4190
28-01-2008, 01:07
Mephiston. He has T5. I think that makes him the toughest warrior in the imperium.

SpaceLanceCorporal
28-01-2008, 01:18
Why is Ferrus Manus not in this survey. And no I don't care if he died he got backstabbed so it doesn't count. : )

Johnnyfrej
28-01-2008, 01:38
Where the hell is Commisar Cain?! He would win hands down.

-Private Jon

sgtventris
28-01-2008, 01:54

I'll second that

sgtventris
28-01-2008, 01:56
Why is Ferrus Manus not in this survey. And no I don't care if he died he got backstabbed so it doesn't count. : )

He was hardly backstabbed. He got owned in direct combat with Fulgrim. I think somewhere in Fulgrim's collection of relics is the deed to Ferrus Mannus.

Helm
21-02-2008, 12:42
Czevak. He got into the freaking Black Library. Mephiston may be hard, Yarrick may have grit, but neither could get into and out of the Library alive.

Mercer
21-02-2008, 12:50
I've gone for Yarrick as he's a old timer with a attitude.

He goes around attacking Ork war bosses, got serious beef with a big bad ass war boss for over 50 years so that makes him hardcore. Not to mention he does all this without any special bionics, two hearts or anything besides his power claw. So that makes him really hardcore, especially when he abandoned his super tank Baneblade in the middle of a battlefield and left it for 50 years! lol, how hardcore is that, dropping your tank to take on pesky Orks man - ork lol.

Long live Yarrick!

Mercer

ragnarclaw
21-02-2008, 13:09
Where is Ragnar Blackmane when you need him most in the front line...:D

grumpy old gamer
21-02-2008, 13:14
For the biggest balls award - have look at Arkannis for "Elucidium" ( What Price Victory). On his todd he goes into 'Stealer cabals and takes them over by pretending to be a magus from the Hive Fleet. He mentally controls a stealer/eldar hybrid who as soon as he sleeps wants to rip him apart and he does it all while wearing a dress and a silly hat ( Cardinal dress wear ).
If your allowing SM in then what about the abhumans - His names gone but the Ogryn bodyguard who moves chimera because they are in the way and ignores shurkien wounds becuase he can.

Commissar Vaughn
21-02-2008, 13:28
Plus.... he fought a Hive Tyrant!

HAH! Commissar Cain took down two in the space of 30 seconds, by accident with an empty laspistol! Throw in his time fighting deamons, heretics, traitor marines, one helluvan ork warboss, infiltrating Necron tomb worlds and then jumping through their portals and survived a time in a Dark eldar reaver pit (not sure what one is but it doesnt sound like a picnic). Hes faced greater deamons, armies of genestealers, rogue psykers and defeated them all ON HIS OWN.....

...or at least thats what the official history says ;)

and as GoG points out: Nork Deddog!

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/special-characters/3/

Knighta
22-02-2008, 14:55
Ergh... The emporer?

Other than that, Grand Master Mandulis :)

junglesnake
22-02-2008, 15:09
I've gone for Yarrick as he's a old timer with a attitude.

He goes around attacking Ork war bosses, got serious beef with a big bad ass war boss for over 50 years so that makes him hardcore. Not to mention he does all this without any special bionics, two hearts or anything besides his power claw. So that makes him really hardcore, especially when he abandoned his super tank Baneblade in the middle of a battlefield and left it for 50 years! lol, how hardcore is that, dropping your tank to take on pesky Orks man - ork lol.

Long live Yarrick!

Mercer

And he is one of the oldest GW characters out there. He was created very early on in 2nd ed possibly before . . . .

Mephiston was an Angels of Death creation and many other characters have been created since.

So in length of duty to GW he has to at least be given respect - that and his vast experience.

Ajamax5
22-02-2008, 19:10
Captain Cortez of the Crimson Fists, he whupped an orky retinue then disarmed the warboss by stealing his sword with his chest. He survived a battle with 22 injuries, i don't care if you are a marine, short of some of them being paper cuts, there shouldn't be enough marine left over for him to live, and i believe several were from heavy weapons fire.Plus he can survive without food and wudder for i think a couple months just cuz( book said so and if they thought it was an accomplishment it was probably longer than your standard marines' anorexia). This was in the old marine codex which i don't have on me, so feel free to correct me on some stuff.

Lord Inquisitor
22-02-2008, 19:16
How about Brother Captain Aurellian?

Yarrick took out a Warboss? Aurellian took out Angron, daemon Primarch of Khorne...

rambler
22-02-2008, 19:38
In the Imperial Dictionary, under the definition of Bastard they just have a picture of Colonel Schaeffer. :skull:

Ozendorph
22-02-2008, 21:10
If you could watch the progress of Ork Waaaghs, Tyranid fleets, and Black Crusades on a galactic map, you would notice each of these forces are willing to go light years out of their way to avoid Mephiston.

SwordsofChaos
22-02-2008, 21:44
Chaplain Grimaldus. He was the guy that had a church fall down on top of him? And survive, without psychic powers. Thats pretty impressive in my book.

DrDoom
22-02-2008, 22:06
Went with Mephiston, mainly because I assume the Emperor doesn't count. He crawled out from a pile of Astartes dead and had the mental fortitude to watch his primarch die (a richly deserved death), and not go crazy like the erst of his chapter.

Go Him.

Although Abaddon would still spit in mephiston's face while Abaddon ate his soul.

Lord Merlin
22-02-2008, 22:09
Cain. he isn't some crazy maniac who kills people off-handedly. He cares about the troopers.

shveen
22-02-2008, 22:52
Eisenhorn. He is a mega hard bastard sewn up and augmented. Took down Daemonhosts and Rouges.

shveen

junglesnake
22-02-2008, 23:10
Cain. he isn't some crazy maniac who kills people off-handedly. He cares about the troopers.

Surely that proves he is is weak - no hero of the Imperium worth his weight in geneseed is going to give a shell case for "the troopers" unless he is a space marine and even then only if it means failure otherwise its - lets celebrate the fallen in victory as they have gone to a better place! :p

rambler
22-02-2008, 23:17
I went with Schaeffer because the SOB has been leading suicide missions for 200 odd years and keeps on ticking.

My real choice though, is Eisenhorn, if you've read the books, you know, if you haven't, read em.

I'm reading the Eisenhorn series right now. He's pretty Bad Ass

Moostikal The Confused
22-02-2008, 23:38
Bjorn. Oldest living thing in the imperium. The toilet-bound cadaver is long dead and the SW dread is super hard wrapped in a crunchy dreadnaught coating.

Cypher's not a part of the imperium these days so it can't be him and yeah Mephiston is hard but come on, Bjorn all the way

Icarus
22-02-2008, 23:45
Alpharius!

What? You thought he was dead? :evilgrin:

guardsmen529
23-02-2008, 05:58

At least he still has all his original limbs ;)

Nah, he lost one of them in the first chancers book ;)

But did that stop him blowing up an entire hive-city with its own plasma reactors, No! (well from memory i think thats what happened...)

But Logan FTW. He does whatever the hell he wants because he can. He sure is one angry wolf... i wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him

hell, i wouldn't want to be on the right side of him :p

TheSilentProphet
23-02-2008, 09:25

What this guy said.

Grazzy
23-02-2008, 12:55
Bjorn is pretty hard. He has probably fought in something like 2000 battles.

thorgrim
26-02-2008, 00:01
Gotta be Grimnar. The only person in the Imperium who has told the inquisition they've gone to far (1st war of armageddon). And is nails hard to boot.

Vaktathi
26-02-2008, 00:07
No contest, its Yarrick.

He's an old fart with a hydraulic crusher for a hand who has repeatedly defeated the Orks on their terms. The greenskins fear his name and believe he can kill with a glance (which he can now) and will actually flee from him.

He has no power armor, no genetic modification, just a huge pair of steel balls and an extremely unpleasant disposition.

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-02-2008, 00:25
Vaktathi nailed it.

Captain Micha
26-02-2008, 00:28
I think that maybe Yarrick should have been exempted from this, this wasn't asking who's "the toughest -god- of 40k?" You know so the others would have a chance.

I bet Yarrick could take the Emperor (before the Emp became a prisoner of his own toilet)

BattleSarge
26-02-2008, 00:29
Brother Captain Stern. Who else has a deamon gunning for them.

Desert thunder
26-02-2008, 03:58
Yarrick for sure he he tore an Orks claw off and put it on himself.

Knighta
26-02-2008, 04:44
Brother Captain Stern. Who else has a deamon gunning for them.

Pretty much every space marine...:)

Scy
06-03-2008, 18:23
Got to be Grimnar. Surprised Calgar isn't in the poll.

TheNZer
06-03-2008, 20:14
I voted Yarrick, I like other people more than him but he's probebly the toughest.

Imperialis_Dominatus
06-03-2008, 21:08
Surprised Calgar isn't in the poll.

Why would he be? :p

Victomorga
06-03-2008, 21:47
Bjorn is pretty hard. He has probably fought in something like 2000 battles.

Well, he's over 10,000 years old, so I'm going to go out on a limb a guess it's waaaaaay more than that.

I still vote for Yarrick.