PDA

View Full Version : i need help with my internet

ichani
21-01-2008, 17:34
i have bought a vista computer and everything seems to work fine except for the internet. i am using a speedtouch 330, and am with orange broadband.

The problem i get is that i install the software on the vista computer and when i try to connect to the internet i get told that it 'cannot update phone book file' and 'error 633 modem is already in use or incorrectly configured.'

the modem works fine on my Xp computer.

i have contacted orange broadband technical support but to no avail, they have sent a new vista compatible disk and run me through installing it but it does not work still.

when i tried to set up a network connection it told me it was not recognising that i had a modem as well, though thats the only time i have got that message.

looking through it i dont know much but i saw that my attansic L1 gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000base- T controller does not have a driver/it's driver is not compatible with the OS. does that have anything to do with the problem (when i asked orange technical support they told me everything they have told me before for 10 minutes before saying that they are not qualified to do anything with it) and if so can anyone link me to the driver, i have looked for a long time and can only fine 'driver detective' but as this is not the troubled computer that really does not help.

i have also been told that i need to basically get vista reinstalled (at least that is what i got from what they said) and i have had this done by a propper computer person, the internet worked for a few minutes before dying again.

thanks in advance and i hope someone can fix this as iv had the computer since before christmas and its making me sad:cries:.

Blagrot Squigbreff
21-01-2008, 18:10
I used to work on Karoo Tech and still chat to a few of the lads, they also used the speedtouch 330 so I have some understanding after messing with a few friends Vista machines.

Often if the older drivers had been installed previously then the newer Vista-compatable ones won't install the registry keys correctly, which is the main problem as I understand it.

If you've had everything reinstalled from scratch then you are probably out of the luck, Vista wasn't designed to use DSL modems and the companies are taking them all out of production anyway.

On the Ethernet card, it should affect the modem but if you tried to get a router instead, most of them require a working ethernet for their setup CD's to run and you would normally connect to them via etherent or wireless and ethernet is more reliable.

If you get the full make of the ethernet card from the Device Manager, you can often get drivers online but a Vista machine really should have Vista capable cards so there may be more of a problem there than just some incorrect drivers.

Best of luck with it.

ichani
21-01-2008, 18:16
so what do you suggest i do? change my internet package to one which does not use a DSL modem? i was thinking of doing this anyways to test if another modem might work any better.

Blagrot Squigbreff
21-01-2008, 18:30
I would expect the same sort of problems with any standard modem. You would likely be better off with a joint modem/router, all the software needed for the net connection is on the router itself and they can normally handle multiple computers.

I don't know if Orange recommend one, alot of ISP's do although it's usually because they sell that one:p, sometimes the comany will be a lot more flexible in any other help they give if it's the same make but that is 'sometimes'. If you buy it direct from the ISP they normally offer free setup where it could cost you 30 quid otherwise and you may need to set it up again in the future.

The important detail to make sure is that it does have an internal ADSL modem, you can get routers (normally wireless) that are just a router.

I would still wonder about that note on the Ethernet tho cause most routers will only allow the automatic setup to run over Ethernet, but if your XP computer has Ethernet you only need to set the router up on one machine so could use that. That will of course only help if the Vista machine can connect by another method - normally wirelessly.

Hope that's answered the question cos it got long winded but if there's anyting else feel free to ask.

ichani
21-01-2008, 18:52
so basically (very sorry if im being slightly->very thick but...) go to my computer vendor get the ethernet sorted out if possible or find out the ethernet card (any advice on how to do that would be appreciated) ask for a ADSL modem/router combo and hope to the good that i havent wasted 30 and you think it should probably work?

thanks for the quick replies by the way and i donate to you 5 happiness points to get you through blue monday!

edit: or is it better to get the one off orange if they provide one?

Blagrot Squigbreff
21-01-2008, 19:17
Pretty much, yeah.

If Orange do provide one and will set it up free of charge and it isn't excessively expensive then go with theirs for convenience if something does go wrong. You won't get bounced between - 'it's your device' ' no it's the ISP' because they both came from the same place.

The best way to find the Ethernet cards name in Vista is:

Control panel ->
System and mantainence ->
Device manager->
Network adapters.

It should be listed there, if not try 'unknown devices' also on Device manager, you did put up a name with 10/100 in it on your first post but just make sure that's the full name.
It will probably ask for permission to continue when you try to go to the device manager, just hit continue.

Then copy down what it says and stick it in google/yahoo, see what you can find, if you can't find it then give me the name and I'll have a go or take the PC to the vendor.

They do have a nasty habit of solving problems by formatting or restoring the machine tho so it's normally better to at least try and sort it yourself - or find a mate/bloke on the web who can help:D.

BTW thanks for the happy, I'm supposed to be working at the moment, oh well doesn't look too likely right now.:angel:

ichani
21-01-2008, 20:03
Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller
that is the name given under unknown devices when i try to update the drivers. I also get the message 'Driver is not intended for this platform.'

When i google it i get either links to 'driver detective' which scans you computer for outdated drivers apparently, but being unable to use the internet with my vista machine i cant find the driver i need, that or they are questions written in a language designed soley(sp?) for people who are not me. so if you dont mind.....

Blagrot Squigbreff
21-01-2008, 20:23
Ok this link (http://www.driversdown.com/ViewDownloadUrl.asp?ID=84839&brNum=3&show=0) should have driver downloads for the correct make of card. The error console on Firefox goes into overdrive but it has 2 server links, one for USA and a Xian, both seem fine.

Just unzip the files and then there is a setup file under the utility folder.

This is the link (http://www.driversdown.com/driverslist/s_476_1.shtml) to the other drivers the company produced but I think the first set are the correct ones.

Hope that is all the ethernet needs to work properly.

EDIT:Obviously you'll need to download them on the XP machine and put them on a memory stick or similar to move to the Vista machine.

Neknoh
21-01-2008, 22:28
erm... one question... do you have a router?

ichani
22-01-2008, 07:36
No i do not, just the speedtouch 330 modem i got from orange.

Blagrot Squigbreff
22-01-2008, 10:11
But since Ichani's followed the standard approach to getting the ST330 working without success then a router is the most logical next step but if the Vista PC can't communicate with the router then it's a waste of time.

BTW are either/both of the PC's wireless capable?

ichani
22-01-2008, 11:24
why couldnt my computer communicate with the router? is it the ethernet thing? i have to wait until tomorrow to go to school because i dont have a USB pen, mother threw it out thinking it was rubbish and we are on snow day!

how do i find out whether my computer is wireless capable?

Blagrot Squigbreff
22-01-2008, 11:44
Yeah, most routers use wireless, ethernet or both.

Any wireless device will be noted under 'network adapters' in Device manager but as a general rule most new laptops are wireless and most desktops aren't.

If you want to check on the XP PC then it's:
Control panel ->
Performance and mantainence->
System->
Hardware->
Device manager.

And boo to parents with no idea what things are, I used to have to hide most of the compuiter bits from my mother to keep them safe or I'd have no idea where they were the next day. Some of those components are sort of expensive and fragile as well:cries:.

ichani
23-01-2008, 17:21
Installing the ethernet was a success(i think)

Now i get a totally different error message! (yay)
Connecting through WAN miniport (PPPOE)
Error 815: broadband network connection could not be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid field for the 'service name' field for this connection. Please contact your internet survice provider about the correct value for this field and update it in the conection properties.

So of course i contacted orange technical support...and they went in a completely different direction with it. trying to go
Start/
Connect to/
Setup a connection or network/
Set up a dialup connection.

i got the message 'windows cannot detect a dialup modem, is the modem connected? Is the modem switched on?'

Is any of that any help with anything?

Blagrot Squigbreff
23-01-2008, 19:24
Unfortunatly that error is for the wrong type of connection, pretty much the entire UK uses PPPoA, not PPPoE. It's trying to use that ethernet card so at least that should be working correctly now. :)

It will probably still fail but if you want to try and create a connection to be sure then go:

Control panel->
Network and Internet->
Internet Options->
Connections (tab along the top)->
Setup.

It should, on the second or third screen, ask for a connection type - if it offers dialup then use that as that is what Vista thinks the speedtouch is. I suspect it won't have that as an option tho.

Anyway if it does it should ask for your logins from Orange and a phone number. The number will normally be 0,38 - don't miss the comma out, that's BT's standard.

If it doesn't have the dialup option then the modem still isn't being recognised and the modem/router is the more reliable bet.

ichani
06-02-2008, 15:14
I'm sorry about posting in a dead thread but i got bored last night and tried to reformat my computer. the internet worked but as soon as i tried to install the norton antivirus that comes with it the internet stopped working. one Uninstallation later and the internet worked. But i dont have an anti-virus which (i assume ) i need.

would getting a router still be the way forward (my dad hasnt got round to getting it yet.)

0ld1eye
06-02-2008, 15:31
one does not reformat ones computer just because one is bored...

if you need an anti-virus, get AVG, which is free. it ain't the best (if you're looking for a really good antivirus, get kaspersky or nod32. I really recommend not using norton. whatever you do, do not get mcafee...)

anyway... if it ain't broke, why fix it? the internets working, ya don't really need a router unless it stops...

btw, you don't 'need' an anti-virus unless you visit dodgy websites and download stuff. but its better safe than sorry.

ichani
06-02-2008, 15:55
well technically it wasnt *just* becasue i was bored. i was also sick of not being able to go on the internet, games are far less interesting without the internet, and even dungeon keeper 2 was not working

edit and its more that the nortan is already paid for so i would quite like to use even if it is a resource goblin.