PDA

View Full Version : I learned the strangest things from this hobby...

JOBusse
21-01-2008, 23:21
I was visiting with my Aunt and Uncle the other day, and we were all discussing how to decorate their television room. They had various posters of various famous state parks and wanted to hang a few in the area. As they were wondering aloud what should go where, I pointed out that certain posters were better paired up than others, because they had the same predominant color, and it would serve to balance the room.

They agreed, but jokingly asked how I knew so much about interior decoration. Thinking about it, I realised it was from painting minis...i've read so many articles on the subject that it seems I apply the lessons to everything.

So how about the rest of you? Have you developed are refined any other skills because of the work you've put into this hobby?

Captain Micha
21-01-2008, 23:26
Well, I came into the hobby with some automotive work experience. But let's just say, I am much more confident with a hobby knife and close proximity to my finger tips now than I used to be, along with abit better painting skills.

gaging distance is quite easy now for me as well.

KeeganKatastrofee
21-01-2008, 23:57
I've started to notice that I learn random facts by talking at games workshop

Ex. last night someone asked me if Darth Vader or Darth Maul would win in a fight (sarcastically, might I add)
and i answered with a five-minute answer

And someone else asked me what a Horus Heresy was (i was wearing a shirt) and i took nearly an hour explaining it

haha

Varath- Lord Impaler
22-01-2008, 00:04
My fine motor skills have never been better. As a child i was terrible. Could try and paint a picture and end up giving myself a concussion.

Now im painting up some death Korps who look fan-tastic, if i do say so myself

electric
22-01-2008, 00:59
The time it takes me to do four-function mathematics has been improved so much. Granted, I'm good at math, but I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide extraordinarily fast because of all the army list making.

The whole gaging measurements by eye thing has also been a side-effect of playing this.

I think what's affected me the most was learning how quickly money can be spent on plastic. :D

bluu
22-01-2008, 01:05
I must say that my sense of predominent colours has improved greatly since I took up Warhammer. I see pairings in clothes today that would have ust flown by my eyes had I seen them a couple of years ago. Oh, and I can paint to a decent table-top level now. I used to fail art class miserably.

CommisarMolotov
22-01-2008, 01:07
So how about the rest of you? Have you developed are refined any other skills because of the work you've put into this hobby?

I've become EVEN MORE BORING to women! Huzzah!

Corax
22-01-2008, 01:09

I hereby declare CommisarMolotov the winner!!!

Unfortunately, he's also sadly correct. :cries:

MaliGn
22-01-2008, 01:25
I dunno, but I wish someone would teach the store kids that they should spend one blister's worth of money on deodorant every once in a while....

Finnith
22-01-2008, 01:36
Gaging distances, which is helpful since im partially blind in 1 eye. (Well not technically, my brains just decided to ignore the information coming from my weaker eye so theres a real lack of seeing in 3d going on.)
Painting.
Coming up with random quick fixes for things and general DIY around the house. If im confident enough to build, glue, stab, sculpt and all the other crazy things to something i just spent £60 on. Repairing kit, putting up shelves, building wardrobes just seems so much more trivial.

Also had a strategy essay due in today and got to stick some 40k/fantasy turn based planning and adaptability vs real time gaming, in comparison to purpose made strategy simulators. Really need to read all of Sun Tzu's The Art of War now and apply the whole book to a game too see if it helps.

Xenobane
22-01-2008, 01:41
I've started to notice that I learn random facts by talking at games workshop

Ex. last night someone asked me if Darth Vader or Darth Maul would win in a fight (sarcastically, might I add)
and i answered with a five-minute answer

And someone else asked me what a Horus Heresy was (i was wearing a shirt) and i took nearly an hour explaining it

haha

Off topic, I have to give plaudits for this member's name! Very topical!

Back on topic, 40k is teaching me that most of what you might consider painting genius is actually just damn hard work. The more time you spend, the more talented you look.

TheMav80
22-01-2008, 01:49
It taught me you can actually live off of a surprisingly small amount of money for food...

Kymmerus
22-01-2008, 03:39
I learned that Tyrannids are a type of bird... :P http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tyrannid

Lord Raneus
22-01-2008, 03:46

Back on topic, 40k is teaching me that most of what you might consider painting genius is actually just damn hard work. The more time you spend, the more talented you look.

I've found this to be the case somewhat.
I've actually started to get better by painting more! :eek:

cerealkiller195
22-01-2008, 03:48
patience and attention to detail, which work quite well when picking up girls. Well you know and the whole being calm and confident angle.

starlight
22-01-2008, 03:51
Indeed. Spend 30 min a day doing *anything* and in a few years you'll be pretty good at it...

*laments all those minutes wasted...*:(

On topic...not much actually...:(

Cirrus the Blue
22-01-2008, 04:17
I dunno, but I wish someone would teach the store kids that they should spend one blister's worth of money on deodorant every once in a while....

I remember a Sunday I was at my GW and there were 3 of these kids in the ultra crowded shop and the whole store smelled like rellish... *choke* :cheese::eyebrows:

Also I remember a story from an old Redshirt about how he got so fed up with this one kid who always kept going into the shop smelling like a foot (this kid most definately had the means to clean himself up) and went to the back to get the Windex and started spraying him. It was pretty mean, but you have to see the humor in it. :p

Also, at my local one, there was the ultra stereotype super creepy geek who smelled like rotting Krispy Kremes 'cause he worked at the one across the way and NEVER changed his workshirt... Truthfully, I feel pretty bad for the kid, actually...

The worst one was me having encountered a redshirt who didn't wear deodorant at all and smelled very spicy everytime I was in there. lol

- Cirrus

Nveci
22-01-2008, 04:19

I have found this to go either way.

I have had girlfriends (friends that are girls and significant others) that would love the mini's, and ask me to show them how to paint like that (legitamitely interested, too). I have found that a random unexpected painted mini of their favorite LOTR characters was well recieved too.

On the other hand, I've had girls laugh straight out in my face when I even hint towards my hobby. They say things about me painting plastic tanks (like I am the psycho down the street with 600 sets in his basement and no social life). I have to quickly find something relevant to distract them and then never let them see the minis again.

So, aside from that...I'd have to say that using the right mini can be a good present as I had mentioned before. In addition to that (and in relation to what I had said before), I've learned how to hide about 200 delicate minis easily and quickly.

thearchiver
22-01-2008, 05:08
Really need to read all of Sun Tzu's The Art of War now and apply the whole book to a game too see if it helps.

I did that and learnt that the best way to win was to take out my opponent was when they where on their way to the game, I’m on a 147 game winning streak and wanted in 4 different states :)

carlisimo
22-01-2008, 08:09
I've gotten good at fixing little things around the house. When in doubt - pin it!

Sholto
22-01-2008, 08:44
I've gotten good at fixing little things around the house. When in doubt - pin it!

Me too - "Do not cry, small child, for I shall fix it with my range of glues. Come, Epoxy! To me, Superglue! PIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!" :p

Sholto

mistformsquirrel
22-01-2008, 08:54
Hmm... My artistic skills (especially with color) have improved DRAMATICALLY since I started.

I've always been artistically inclined, but never very good... however wargaming has done a lot to show me (on an already 'drawn' figure if you will) how to use color effectively. I've still got a long way to go with my original art; but I improve a bit each time.

Lets see... I've also learned that my being a packrat has paid off. (With the exception of the actual orks, I'm going to build an entire Ork army from scratch; just from stuff I've packratted... with luck it'll work out!

I think the NUMBER ONE thing though, that the hobby has taught me is this:

Stand up for yourself, don't be pushed over just because someone takes issue with what you're doing.

I know that'll sound silly to most; but I was bullied from 3rd grade all the way through highschool; when I encountered the same behavior in some people (very few; but they are loud) in wargaming; I kinda snapped; not violently; but rather in the "No, sorry; I spent my money and my time on this, eff you if you've got a problem with it!"

Sounds silly, but for a guy with MASSIVE confidence issues; its quite the boon to be able to stand up and say "nuh uh, this is what I like, too bad for you!" when you have to.

Oh! Also, wargaming has taught me one other thing: Or I should say, reinforced this skill... Improvisation. Being less-than-wealthy; I've had to improvise a lot to make an army. I've managed to get 2075 points of Chaos Mortals (Fantasy) for ~ 200 dollars - all brand new stuff (no ebay!); largely by improvising.

For example, I needed some Character models - instead of buying them; I made one out of a Chaos Warrior; one out of parts from the Empire Militia and Knight sets (riding an Empire Knight horse); building my Chosen Knights also out of the same Empire Knights set, and then finally giving the last armored horse to my general (who's the only actual "Character" figure in the army - a Lord of Slaanesh I converted to Tzeentch. The mount that model comes with? Turned it into a spawn.

Or my Marines for instance: My list calls for Meltaguns and Flamers with the Veteran Assault Squads. But Assault Marines don't COME with those weapons. So what'd I do?

Cut up a Meltabomb (to use as a fuel tank), a piece of sprue (to use as the basis), a Plasma Pistol (for the tip and grip), and a piece of guitar wire from my brother - Bingo, instant flamer.

My Meltagun is a Powerfist with a cored-out plasma pistol tip glued to it, megaman style. (It also uses a piece of guitar wire too).

Its amazing how much extra stuff you can build out of the kits you get. (Its actually been my one big disappointment since also getting into Warmachine - the kits are all very "You get what you need - nothing else!"; which I understand, them being metal; but I'm spoiled for good bits)

I learned quite a bit <o.@>

LawrencePhillips
22-01-2008, 09:01
Guessing how long thing are in imperial inches. It's got to the point that I'm always spot on or no more than 1 inch out.

The_Outsider
22-01-2008, 09:05
I learnt that the DE codex contains demons (both a male and female demon) that get ther power through sex.

Dragonlv8
22-01-2008, 09:06
hmmm, more people seem to think im a nerd, MAinly me even though a few of my other friends play as well but as we say at school those 2 friends are "popular" and I know one of them wouldn't say he played it to save his life, he will do anything to be kool even saying he dosen't like me then having a conversation at recess, sitting next to me on the bus and inviting me over on the weekend to play 40k and go on the computer and what not.

Dragonlv8
22-01-2008, 09:08
I learnt that the DE codex contains demons (both a male and female demon) that get ther power through sex.

lol, I got to see that.
Unfortunatley from what ive heard on Warseer dark eldar have **** Fluff and are extremely outdated so I don't think il bother buying it.

Sir_Turalyon
22-01-2008, 09:21
I did that and learnt that the best way to win was to take out my opponent was when they where on their way to the game, I’m on a 147 game winning streak and wanted in 4 different states

Yeah, from Art of War you can learn that comiting yourself to balanced battle where both sides have equal chance of winning is foolish in first place.

Back to the topic, I learned hard way to resist the urge and not spend money on things just because I absolutley have to have them, they are rare and relatively cheap.

*Goes to check Ebay*

lord_blackfang
22-01-2008, 09:24
Because of all the eBaying I do, I can fluently convert british pounds and euros :rolleyes:

bosstroll
22-01-2008, 09:43
I've learned how to quickly apply a bandage in such a way i can continue converting :)

Bunnahabhain
22-01-2008, 10:32
I've learned how to quickly apply a bandage in such a way i can continue converting :)

I've learnt superglue does a much better job of closing up minor wounds than banadges do....

Biomass Denial
22-01-2008, 10:33
Ive greatly improved fine motor and painting skills. Oh and from my friends experience ive learnt that if you bleed all over a kornate model while making it it does roll better ha ha. Also I havnt had trouble with girls yet cause most that I end up dating know what i do long before hand. Also never attempt to seperate the very first model you ever make from the sprue with the serrated blade on your leatherman because you end up cutting your finger nail in half and having to finish the model with a sore finger. And one more thing superglue reliably seals cuts even though it does sting like ****

*Bunnahabhain = ninja posting on the superglue and cuts

The_Outsider
22-01-2008, 10:39
lol, I got to see that.
Unfortunatley from what ive heard on Warseer dark eldar have **** Fluff and are extremely outdated so I don't think il bother buying it.

Just wikipedia "incubi" and "succubus".

alphastealer
22-01-2008, 11:05
40k has shown me that chicks get turned off by more than just Star Trek and computer games.

My girlfriend can't for the life of her see what I find so appealing about my little plastic soldiers. Although I must admit she is happier that I do this than go out drinking and chasing strange women around a pub.

My painting skill has increased, so has my dice rolling. If you put a dice in your hand with a 3 facing upwards and roll it counter clockwise before tipping your hand then you almost always get a 6.

(if you believe that then you are another thing I have learned from this game...gamers can be damn gullable)

wally
22-01-2008, 13:40
i have lernt to never ebay from europe when living in aussie

a 5euro model became 60$au after postage and money trans

Jimbobjeff
22-01-2008, 15:02
I have learned that plastic models can be shoehorned into a variety of A level graphics projects. But also, on a more serious note that there are people out there who will like me even thouigh I am a huge geek and that I dont need to hide it.

br00n0
22-01-2008, 15:50
I to have learned much.

But the best thing I learned is by far fixing things up around the house. It could be a picture frame, a vase or a chandelier. Nothing superglue can't fix.

The kids got many things fixed too. I pinned a Pikachu's tail, re-aligned a Mario Kart RC car, fixed a Dodge Ram's wheel (kiddei size, that is!)

So when somthing breaks, no need to panic. As my kids say: "Daddy'll fix it!"

Also painting a livingroom wall is now sooooo easy! And the brushes, man! They're like, huge! I prefer using my 5/0 brush! Also, inking and drybrushing an 7' x 12' wall doesn't show really good and makes quite a mess!

:-)

mistformsquirrel
22-01-2008, 16:19
br00n0 that's hilarious <,< And awesome that you've learned to do that stuff for the kids hehe <^_^> And people claim this is a waste of time and money <o-@>; hah, hah I says to them!

L192837465
22-01-2008, 16:29
that most people scowl at me for saying "i paint little plastic men and play them in an overly complicated tabletop game."

also, i learned that chicks dig guys who *read above*... just not the pretty ones.

BlastmasterJ
22-01-2008, 16:48
As said befor the model thing can go either way, either they like or dont.
But i have the most simple solution to solve this problem.
When i first met my partner she thought it was a bit strange, and didn't under stand what you did with them etc.
No one appreciates how hard it is to paint a 25mm figure untill you slap a brush and a primed ork boy in their hand and say, paint.
Now she is amazed by it. Not thrilled when you go past the level of look at this into, this is his shield generator, and this is how his kustom shoota works n here is where the powers from etc.
p.s. the ork pun may be good in the gaming room or in forums but trust me, look at my nob doesn't work anywhere else.

J (despot)

NightBringer666
22-01-2008, 17:05
I have learned patiance from having to spend time painting my models.

jfrazell
22-01-2008, 17:12
I have learned to balance several containers at once, through a mall.

I've used the same spray paints to make a planet (BFG) and then spray my daughter's boots pink for an elementary parade.

Shadowphrakt
22-01-2008, 17:34
I have learned that the hobby has improved my detail skills, art skills, and generally made my more hand eye coordinated. Actually, my girlfriend finds it a good thing that i have this sort of a hobby, because, as she put it, "I'm better with my hands now." And ive had a lot of people saying to me its a waste of money and im a geek. Dude, would a geek have a girlfriend who looks like this?
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb45/Shadowphrakt/615504008a6416848849l.jpg
(Thats me on the left BTW)
To be honest, you are only geeky if you believe you are. Throw of the stereo type of the unenlightened of GW. Arise Games Workshoppers everywhere! No longer shall we be oppressed! Cast of your shadows and stand tall!

Warp Zero
22-01-2008, 18:05
To Shadowphrakt: "well done young man....well done...."

Geekness is on the rise. I think more and more people realize that everyone has something they're "geeky" about. I think mature people are cool with things like miniature gaming and other like hobbies. Two attractive ladies at work once saw my friend and I with our 40k models. We brought them into the office to show another guy who was interested in maybe getting into the hobby. Later, they asked about the painting and stuff. So we decided to do a "painting night" after work. They joined us and I gave them some minis to paint and they had fun. And I must say pretty darn good right off. The Cadian one girl painted was cleanly done. And that was her first mini! I think that the days of the no-girlfriend gaming geek stereo-type are gone. Especially with the latest generation of gamers because....quite frankly, girls are now getting geeky alongside the boys. Maybe not miniature gaming quite yet, but with books, video games, and so on.

The time it takes me to do four-function mathematics has been improved so much. Granted, I'm good at math, but I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide extraordinarily fast because of all the army list making.

Me too. I'm especially good at multiplying such numbers as 8, 12, and 16. (guardians, dire avengers, howling banshees/striking scorpions/fire dragons) Also, if there's any project that requires me to spend $1,500 or less, I'm sure my skills will be able to keep the endeavor "on budget". :)

Shadowphrakt
22-01-2008, 18:12
Thanks Warp Zero!
In Edinburgh there was a (very attractive) girl in GW edinburgh over teh summer...
As one of my friends put it...
"Good God! A woman!"

Matt121
22-01-2008, 18:22

I HATED vets night with a vengeance for this very reason...:mad:

Matt121
22-01-2008, 18:40
I worked as a painter & decorator for 10 years so i already had some understanding of painting, never used to go down to well when i 'suggested' better colour schemes to the managers in GW or when i plain pointed out that painting white direct onto a black undercoat isn't a good idea:D Actually what i learnt from my involvement in this hooby was learning about employment law & exploitation. Thank you GW...:evilgrin: As a result no boss has ever stood on me since.

Finnith
22-01-2008, 18:44
Heh. Went to a strip club with the team once. Started chatting to one of the girls who was on her first night. Found out one of her old boyfriends got her into warhammer and she has thousands of point worth of stuff. Chatted for ages, then got an extra long dance with some of the best filth ive ever seen since I was nice to her. Whereas my mates all said she was crap.

Strippers play warhammer to!

*slightly off topic I know but its such a random story.

L192837465
22-01-2008, 18:50

greatest quote

EVAR

thread over, man, its over!

\nuke it from space.
\\its the only way to be sure.

The pestilent 1
22-01-2008, 19:09
849l.jpg[/IMG]

I love that you feel the need to tell us :p

I've learnt that the right people can kill my enjoyment of ANYTHING from this hobby.
Which is a real shame, I've not played a game since... Well before 4th Editions release because of sucky opponents (Not even their lists, just the attitudes towards the game)

Shadowphrakt
22-01-2008, 19:23
I love that you feel the need to tell us :p

Love that i feel the need to tell you which one is me, or that I have a girlfriend?

TzeentchForPresident
22-01-2008, 19:27
After doing all sort of pinning, I think I can handle a toothdrill pretty good by now. If I drill the right tooth? That is an entirely different matter. :evilgrin:

Now lean back and open that mouth wide, and answer this simple question...
"Is it safe?"

*Activates toothdrill*

Remoah
22-01-2008, 19:27
Damn shadow... nice catch.

Anyhow, i've learnt alot with numbers, measurement, ect.
I remember talking to a guy at my gun range and he was showing me a new rifle he'd got. He claimed the barrel length was "24 inches".
I reckoned it was 22.
He reckoned it was 24.
I insisted it was 22.
$5 bet was made by him.

We measured.

I was right. 22.5 Inches.

So anything to do with a measurement in inches, i can deal with.
I can add and subtract numbers well (in my head i can probably pull together a 1500pt list without the need to write numbers down).

CaptainDaris
22-01-2008, 19:37
Numbers. I was always good at maths, but now I'm better than I was. It may seem sad, but I have memorised the space marine codex.

@ finnith. sigged

The pestilent 1
22-01-2008, 19:37
Love that i feel the need to tell you which one is me, or that I have a girlfriend?

Which one is you.

floyd pinkerton
22-01-2008, 19:50
hmm, It taught me it takes pain to create art!:D

E-616
22-01-2008, 19:55
I would never have believed that such things as good and bad luck really existed, I would have just taken things as coincidence or random occurrence, but when I roll and fail almost every to hit roll, wound roll and armour save consistently over the course of five months I find myself thinking otherwise...

On the bright side, when I do get a good luck streak, I'm putting a load of cash on the Lotto :D

ZiggyTempest
22-01-2008, 20:01
I learnt that Superglue is hard to get off the tongue...

catbarf
22-01-2008, 20:27
I did that and learnt that the best way to win was to take out my opponent was when they where on their way to the game, I’m on a 147 game winning streak and wanted in 4 different states :)

Epic win. Sig'd.

boogaloo
22-01-2008, 20:36
we were talking about how to make money once, and i said well there's two ways to go about it as far as i see it High turn over at low gross profit ie fast food, (but i was thinkin tyranids) or low turn over at high gross profit ie jewelery and furniture stores (but i was thinkin deathwing) The metaphor works perfectly, fast food requires a shelf life of what... 3 hours? and furniture/jewelry never go bad (termies are built to last)... and then i stopped and said... "oooooh i've wasted my life"... but aquaman could totally marry a woman without gills

Grimtuff
22-01-2008, 20:41
Heh. Went to a strip club with the team once. Started chatting to one of the girls who was on her first night. Found out one of her old boyfriends got her into warhammer and she has thousands of point worth of stuff. Chatted for ages, then got an extra long dance with some of the best filth ive ever seen since I was nice to her. Whereas my mates all said she was crap.

*slightly off topic I know but its such a random story.

I once knew a stripper that played 40k. Lets just say they probably used her to clear the club out at the end of the night......

Captin Korea!
22-01-2008, 20:53
I learned spray paint wont come off shoes...

Finnith
22-01-2008, 21:00
I once knew a stripper that played 40k. Lets just say they probably used her to clear the club out at the end of the night......

She wasnt great but by no means the worst there.

But after 8 hours of drinking, a surprising and interesting chat about warhammer and seeing a girl ****** her **** then rub ***** on your **** with her **** things certainly look up.

Note number of *** may or may not have any reference to acts or body parts and any seen are the result or your own imagination.

Warhammer helping men see ***** since 1983.

Dantès
22-01-2008, 21:21
I've gotten really good at eying distances...scary good. For example, it snowed here a few days ago, and after it stopped, my mom asked someone to go check how much snow there was. I looked 15 away, out the window, for a *second* and casually said 4 inches, give or take half an inch.

She went and measured, came to 4.2 inches :p

In response to the whole geeky thing: Most girls actually like the whole "geeky" thing, as long as you don't act or look geeky, you can nail yourself a hot-ass girlfriend.

I play warhammer, i dabble in WoW, my favorite tv series is Firefly, I love Sci-Fi, i love history, i know ancient history inside out, etc, etc. But I still get more pussy than you'd ever imagine someone who plays warhammer would get :p

Moriarty
22-01-2008, 22:32
I play warhammer, i dabble in WoW, my favorite tv series is Firefly, I love Sci-Fi, i love history, i know ancient history inside out, etc, etc. But I still get more pussy than you'd ever imagine someone who plays warhammer would get :p

Firefly, Oooh, a fellow addict!

Norminator
22-01-2008, 22:34

You have given me hope Dantès!

...as long as you don't act or look geeky...

Oh, nope, I'm still buggered :(

Moriarty
22-01-2008, 22:35
\nuke it from space.
\\its the only way to be sure.

'I say we dust off and nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure!'

Dantès
22-01-2008, 22:47
Oh, nope, I'm still buggered :(

Theres still hope! You can act geeky around fellow geeks, and you should, it makes it more fun :p

When you see me, I dont seem like the person to get into warhammer/wow/firefly discussions, but I can go on for hours :p

Just if theres any pretty ladies in the room, I'll say "yeah, ive tried it..." and thats it hehehe

Theres still hope!

With most girls, 65% of the game is how you talk ;), the rest how you look. So you may not be decked out in louie v with your hair spiked like that guido over there, but if you can talk right, you can get any girl you want

Norminator
22-01-2008, 22:55
Theres still hope! You can act geeky around fellow geeks, and you should, it makes it more fun :p

When you see me, I dont seem like the person to get into warhammer/wow/firefly discussions, but I can go on for hours :p

Just if theres any pretty ladies in the room, I'll say "yeah, ive tried it..." and thats it hehehe

Theres still hope!

With most girls, 65% of the game is how you talk ;), the rest how you look. So you may not be decked out in louie v with your hair spiked like that guido over there, but if you can talk right, you can get any girl you want

I will be trying this.... cheers Dantès ;)

Tymell
22-01-2008, 23:09

That's such a thread-winner... :D

On the subject of girls, I've actually found it's no so bad. Most I've encountered are fine with it, and many interested in at least one aspect or another :) The best thing is to let girlfriends encounter it after they know you well, not as something early on, generally.

I've been quite lucky in that way myself. My last three girlfriends all found an interest in it, the first already was before I met her. And my current partner certainly is fine with the geekiness, she's very proud of her own levels of it. Sci-fi, fantasy, computer games, pokemon, she goes for anything like that. She and I even patented "Geek sex".

And in case anyone does get the "But not the pretty ones" thing springing to mind, no, definitely not true in this case. (if an indicator is needed: http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofimg6886648x372hb0.jpg)

But anyway, back to OP: it's taught me a number of things, most of them already mentioned, like better hand-eye co-ordination, painting skills, also some good points of creative writing and crafting stories etc, and Warseer itself has helped me refine even further my debating skills ;)

warflag
22-01-2008, 23:12
I learnt that Superglue is hard to get off the tongue...

Most valuable lesson of all:D
Now that I know that, I have more time to concentrate on all the other self-humilation-experiments that come with the hobby:p

And I will not ask just how.. and if it´s killing me.. no, not ask

BigBossOgryn
22-01-2008, 23:21
It has improved my math quite a lot, my measurment approximation, helping my cousins with history projects like building a trench section (though they never let me add an Ork or Space Marine to it :( ) I also learnt that there were other people who enjoyed gaming and beer, not just pushing plastic around and rolling dice.

Outlaw289
22-01-2008, 23:21
I learned I am more interested in the backstory, books, and pc games than the expensive and tedious (in my opinion) table top game

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-01-2008, 00:41

Maybe you did, scrub... :p Just kidding.

It taught me you can actually live off of a surprisingly small amount of money for food...

I learned that the human body can live without food period for quite long periods of time when I wrestled.

Dude, would a geek have a girlfriend who looks like this?

A) *webbarnet high five!*

B) Funny, I feel the need to make a smartass remark about 'my left or yours?' ;)

Gaebriel
23-01-2008, 01:38
...But after 8 hours of drinking, a surprising and interesting chat about warhammer and seeing a girl ****** her **** then rub ***** on your **** with her **** things certainly look up.

Note number of *** may or may not have any reference to acts or body parts and any seen are the result or your own imagination.
Strange, I can't fit in the words 'Space Marine', 'To Hit roll', 'Skaven Army', and 'Armour save' into those stared sections :(

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-01-2008, 01:40
Strange, I can't fit in the words 'Space Marine', 'To Hit roll', 'Skaven Army', and 'Armour save' into those stared sections :(

You win almost as much as the thread on the surfing Dread. I so want to sig this.

KeeganKatastrofee
23-01-2008, 02:02
I hereby declare CommisarMolotov the winner!!!

Unfortunately, he's also sadly correct. :cries:

I disagree!
My girlfriend isn't a gamer, but she's interested in the hobby. She's an artist.
And hot.
And not imaginary.
XD

The Highlander
24-01-2008, 19:02
One thing I have learnt from reading the background is that good and bad are relative to your prospective and that there are always two sides to any event. Two of the best examples are the dark elf army book and the story of the iron cage (the battle between the IW and the IF). The same story told from two totally different views.

Emperor's Grace
24-01-2008, 20:24

Which one is you.

First, Congrats to you, Shadowphrakt. She's cute. (and BTW it's midly depressing that I now realize you're a full 20 yrs younger than I am)

Second, Geek is no longer a bad label. It's a selling point. Ask Bill Gates and most of Tech/Silicon Valley(s).

Third, I also thought that he meant the "that I have a girlfriend". But don't take that poorly. Isn't it one of the unwritten rules that any geek with a (hot) girlfriend will eventually announce it (multiple) times in a forum just to make the other geeks (despair) hope?

To demonstrate the theory: check the posts, we've had at least three mentions and two pics.

To prove it true, I'll mention my wife :p who hates listening to the fluff (and resultant comparisons to various sci-fi books/films) but loves the painting.

You'll have to take my word that she's both lovely and geeky as she'd kill me (or cut off my... hobby money) for posting pictures of her on the net (:Dclothed or not :D).

Chaplain Ark
24-01-2008, 20:45

your avatar fits incredible well with that comment.

But yeah, my painting, knife cutting, and basic math skills have skyrocketed thx to the hobby. but it also has increased my accuracy when i throw a mini at a wall. i can usually hit the smallest of objects like nail heads or dirt marks.

mistformsquirrel
24-01-2008, 20:50
A "new" thing has been learned today:

You know all those old toys you never got rid of, and they just sat in the garage waiting for a garage sale that would never come?

Dey now belong to da orkz!

mechu95
24-01-2008, 20:59
A few things I learned...

1) A good hobby can get you away from addictions (well, from MMORPG addictions at least)

2) Deodorants are the greatest thing in this world

3) Not to show the minis to anyone at school...now everyone calls me a nerd :(

Joewrightgm
24-01-2008, 21:08
I've learned from this hobby is if you punch a mime in the stomach, they will make a noise. /bad joke

I've learned that Good and Evil are all based on who you ask, when you ask it, and how its asked.

I've also learned that a dull exacto knife is fully capable of slicing to bone.

I've developed a better appreciation for the time and effort and artistry of Golden Demon entries.

Grand Master Raziel
24-01-2008, 21:42
I've also gotten rather good at eyeballing distances in inches. Also, my hand-eye coordination is way better than it used to be. Before I started this hobby, if someone tossed something to me, I'd fail to catch it almost every time. Now, I can pretty reliably catch thrown objects with my off-hand.

I've also been at stores where there's been someone with revolting BO. When the Dragon's Lair in West Hartford was still open, my friends and I used to go there every week. There was this one guy who would regularly show up not to play, but just to watch games. He just plain looked dirty, and he reeked. I think, for the most part, gamers are well-adjusted people, but for some reason gaming hobbies tend to bring the complete social misfits out of the woodwork.

@Shadophrakt: Young man, let me offer you just a teensy bit of advice.

Actually, my girlfriend finds it a good thing that i have this sort of a hobby, because, as she put it, "I'm better with my hands now." And ive had a lot of people saying to me its a waste of money and im a geek. Dude, would a geek have a girlfriend who looks like this?

Be very, very careful about what you imply you do with your hands in regards to your girlfriend on a public forum. She's very cute. She also looks like she's about 12. Mind you, you don't look much older, but fathers are often overprotective of their young daughters, and might not make that fine distinction. Or, to quote Red Dwarf: Bone crunching time! Now, where are those little thumbies? :evilgrin:

Norminator
24-01-2008, 21:47
Be very, very careful about what you imply you do with your hands in regards to your girlfriend on a public forum. She's very cute. She also looks like she's about 12. Mind you, you don't look much older

Raziel, he's 15... not that young.

Dalenator
24-01-2008, 21:47
Well, strange things.......

I guess...
-My sense of humour has taken a boost
-My confidence has taken a boost
-I can keep secrets better now
-I've found all you guys to converse with without fear of mockery...well...erm;).
-don't ever leave a glue bottle on the toaster.:(
-Metal space marines don't melt in the microwave. (You win again Lemartes!:mad:)
-you can't bend metal arms with the power of your jaw. (Took me a few tries to find this out.) :cries:

Probably some more but my memory is fuzzy.

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-01-2008, 23:06
I disagree!
My girlfriend isn't a gamer, but she's interested in the hobby. She's an artist.
And hot.
And not imaginary.
XD

SS or it didn't happen.

Just kidding, don't kill me!

I've learned from this hobby is if you punch a mime in the stomach, they will make a noise. /bad joke

You mean good joke.

I've learned that Good and Evil are all based on who you ask, when you ask it, and how its asked.

Ah, so true.

I've also learned that a dull exacto knife is fully capable of slicing to bone.

Indeed.

I've developed a better appreciation for the time and effort and artistry of Golden Demon entries.

Haven't we all?

-I've found all you guys to converse with without fear of mockery...well...erm;).

You mean you've been jaded to it so that you feel no fear. :p

-you can't bend metal arms with the power of your jaw. (Took me a few tries to find this out.) :cries:

I've done it!

Nveci
24-01-2008, 23:48
@ ZiggyTempest:

I have found out that anti-bacterial glue hardens up superglue in an instant (to stop it from sticking to anything else).

@ Raziel:

You must feel the same way as I do, a bit old and dirty when looking at that photo. I am only about 5-6 years older than them (it looks like), and I even feel this way!

@Shadowphrakt:

Despite how the picture makes me feel, I must say good job! It was a lot better than I could get at your age.

Thoth62
25-01-2008, 04:13
3) Not to show the minis to anyone at school...now everyone calls me a nerd :(

I disagree. I remember in High School when I occasionally brought models to show people and regularly brought White Dwarf's to read in the cafeteria. Those that called me a nerd weren't people I cared for, and they didn't bother me anyways. Mostly because they all knew that I played on several sports teams and they didn't.

That's right. I was a Jock-Geek hybrid.

Seved
25-01-2008, 04:18
I have learned that people can tell me the most horrendous insults, when they hear about my hobby, but upon seeing my miniatures will they tell me what a good painter I am. It is a very strange world we live in.

Biomass Denial
25-01-2008, 04:32
Also anyone notice in that lovely photo where he mentions his hands u cant actually see them D:. On another note nice score.

Dalenator WHAT IN ALL GOD NAMES POSSESED YOU TO PUT A METAL MARINE IN THE MICROWAVE??????

Colonel Kevlar
25-01-2008, 04:42
I'v gotten a lot smarter about RL military(If anyone goes to the boot camp forum, you'll know why). Also, I cna now sculpt fairly well. Oh, and once you are the master of a couple martial arts, never punch the bunker you just got mad at. Esecially if you made from scrap pieces of metal, plastic, and glass (its amazing what you cna find on the side of the road, and it helps get rid of litter). Oh, and my models ARE alive - my Tau Ethereal was on the floor, and when I woke up 5 minutes later, the Commissar was beside him, w/ his right (gun) arm pointing at the Tau. Scary... And open wounds + superglue + GS + some paint = pain. always remember that.

Thoth62
25-01-2008, 04:47
I've learned that the citadel superglue isn't sterile... I used to use it all the time to close up the bad cuts from my modelling knife... Then one of them got infected... Badly.

Bassik
25-01-2008, 09:23
I have learned that girls (well the ones that matter anyway) think unpainted mini's are silly, but a fully painted army earns their respect.

I guess girls are atracted to pretty colours :p

lord_blackfang
25-01-2008, 09:42
I've learned that Jessie James is not a good role model.

Son of Makuta
25-01-2008, 09:43
I've learned a pile of things... Like how to sculpt, how to paint, how to bend metal with my bare fingers (:D), how to scratch-build giant dragon wings (a useful skill for all walks of life :p), how to write better stories. I can improvise armies out of as little as possible. I've even learnt how to use eBay. :D

I've gained a load of friends, and a bit of pride, as well as an awesome hobby. (Still no girlfriend, but that's probably down to other stuff. I hope.)

And finally, I've learned how to make £200 disappear :rolleyes:

nazrag
25-01-2008, 12:25

That is so true!!! :rolleyes:

I havent really become a better painter, still suck..
No better motor skills, still a great danger to myself with a knife..

The thing that has improved is my ability to produce useless facts out of a hat :rolleyes: and my math skills have improved a lot!

Barador
25-01-2008, 13:26
I have learned lots of people are actually interested in my hobby they always want to know more.

this surprises me because i dont go all out to tell them what i do but i dont hide it much lol but when they realise im into warhammer they are interested.

Temprus
25-01-2008, 14:44
Dalenator WHAT IN ALL GOD NAMES POSSESED YOU TO PUT A METAL MARINE IN THE MICROWAVE??????

One Word: Lemartes! :D Good rules, bad model. :angel:

Warpcrafter
25-01-2008, 15:35
I took algebra in high school and totally didn't get it, but I understand it in an abstract way now, from trying to balance out cost vs benefit when making up an army list. Also, I learned how to express dissapointment when watching my troops get slaughtered without launching into a XXX-rated R. Lee Ermy mega-rant. (R. Lee Ermy still rules, Full Metal Jacket is the best war movie ever!) If the tweens at my local gaming store would just learn not to mumble bitterly at my painted and assembled armies, may be I would learn not to grate my teeth together... :angel:

vejby
25-01-2008, 17:15
Well, starting back in the days of 2nd ed, I learnt three things apart from the motor- and gaugingskills mentioned by other posters:

1. That the goal of a discussion is not to come to a mutually agreable conclusion, but rather to win the discussion in order to win the game.

2. How to not be a cry-and-yell-baby when I lose.

3. How to not be a cry-and-yell-baby when I win.

Other than that I guess I learnt a lot of English (I'm Danish), and how to come up with fake, but clever sounding arguments in my favor on the double.

Grand Master Raziel
25-01-2008, 17:22
One Word: Lemartes! :D Good rules, bad model. :angel:

Yeah, I'd be tempted to melt down a Lemartes figure if I ever came into possession of one, too. That said, I wouldn't risk ruining a perfectly good microwave to do so. ;)

ale
25-01-2008, 17:41
Before starting the hobby, I hardly even knew what an inch was in centimeters.

Tymell
25-01-2008, 17:45
1. That the goal of a discussion is not to come to a mutually agreable conclusion, but rather to win the discussion in order to win the game.

2. How to not be a cry-and-yell-baby when I lose.

3. How to not be a cry-and-yell-baby when I win.

Other than that I guess I learnt a lot of English (I'm Danish), and how to come up with fake, but clever sounding arguments in my favor on the double.

Sir, I can see a highly successful career as a lawyer ahead of you :p

Before starting the hobby, I hardly even knew what an inch was in centimeters.

I've been in the game over 12 years and I still don't :D

Thoth62
25-01-2008, 18:16
1 Imperial Inch = 2.54 Metric Centimetres.

Now you do. ;)

ReveredChaplainDrake
25-01-2008, 18:44
I learned how to argue convincingly. Some might call me a Rules Lawyer, but I've read the rulebook so many times over that whenever I hear something to the effect of "but he's in a squad so he's not an Independent Character anymore", it hurts like a burning iron. A bit of a hyperbole, but getting rules wrong (particularly the IC rules, hence the reference) does strike a nerve. I'm still trying to restrain myself, reminding myself (yet not quite understanding completely) that being correct makes me a 'jerk' while being wrong makes me 'nice'. (:confused:) Anyway, WIP.

Aside from that, I also learned the skill of contentment. When a new codex comes out, I'm very resistant to shiny model / book syndrome because I look at the rules and can now tell at-a-glance which rules are actually pretty devastating and which are just superficial, redundant, or even detrimental.

Also, the reading of the codex backstories has done wonders for both my vocabulary and my grammar.

Imperialis_Dominatus
25-01-2008, 22:13
1 Imperial Inch = 2.54 Metric Centimetres.

Now you do. ;)

Madness! I was told 2.6! :(

Those filthy middle school teachers... :skull:

nova40k
26-01-2008, 02:22
1.) Having an associates degree in english does not help reading or understanding the BGB

2.) Grown men whine more than children when they are losing.

3.) Everyone believes in superstitions after they roll enough ones.

4.) When gamers get girlfriends they tend to disappear till they get dumped.

madd0ct0r
26-01-2008, 03:11
it's possible to pin, glue, greenstuff and then paint a broken pair of glasses.

Chaplain Ark
26-01-2008, 03:47
it's possible to pin, glue, greenstuff and then paint a broken pair of glasses.

well I'm glad your better at that then I am. I tried something similar with a pair of sunglasses and failed horribly. But I did use a huge chunk of green stuff and paint to fix a hole the size of a fist in my basement wall. Don't ask. I think green stuff can do nearly anything, like duck tape.

madd0ct0r
26-01-2008, 03:53
It was my flatmate's.

I got fed up with him wandering around with a huge lump of greenstuff holding them together. By shear coincidence his glasses were the same shade of purple i i had so i didn't even have to blend it!

Pinning is by far the most useful technique wargaming has taught me, although an learning to paint meant the Van Gogh museum was far more intresting then i expected - girlfriend is a painter.

Templar_Victorious
26-01-2008, 04:45
Sadly, this hobby has taught me how to win against my foes, beginners or veterans, which has made the beginners reluctant to play another match. At least the veterans comes back for another beating. And alot of aforementioned skills has been improved.

And I agree totally about being careful about who and when you actually show your models or even just your interest in the hobby.

Catapault
26-01-2008, 23:28
And I agree totally about being careful about who and when you actually show your models or even just your interest in the hobby.

I know!
In Middle School, the club that I was playing in was sieged by "cool" people. They made fun of us and stole a walker!
Of course, teachers took the side of the "cool" kids and did not punish them. We later found a walker's leg in the hallway. :mad: :wtf:

AmBlam
27-01-2008, 00:21
People cannot distinguish well between what is true and what they want to be true.

Every viewable thing has a focal point, if it looks good so does the whole thing.

AmBlam
27-01-2008, 00:22
How old are you in "middle school"?

Hive Mind 33
27-01-2008, 00:42
I learned i have a terrible case of army ADD.

chosen of chaos
27-01-2008, 01:17
ive sort of become a dark angel
my hobby is a secret that no one knows of .spare the inner circle(my club,family and 2 people people by mistake ,one of which was into it but it doesnt really count becase they my best friends) out of all the class in school ive been to know one has found out,ive probly avoided around 50 people who are always around me from knowing of my hobby

and then i wonder...are they others who i see alot who do the same as me????

im curious

chosen of chaos
27-01-2008, 01:19
oh and i change my army every time

madd0ct0r
27-01-2008, 23:35
I was in my first year of uni, and i'd made myself a comfortable group of friends but i kept wargaming quiet.

It was nearly halfway through the year when me, my girlfriend (who obviously knows all about it) and the closest of these new friends were making spring rolls.

They're wrapped in a peculiar pastry that comes as hard sheets, warm water softens it and it becomes floppy as silk but it goes back to being hard once dry.

As we were rolling the meat in the pastry he said "I'm sure there's something you could use this for."

"Well, it's a bit nerdy but i was thinking of capes for minitures."
He looked at me for a long pause.

"Well, I guess I'll have to bring my marines up next term."

So on the good side i gained a flatmate.
On the bad side he plays marines and necrons.

chevyman8_03
13-02-2008, 08:10

Exactly. The first time I picked up a paintbrush it was awful. Now, six years and literally thousands of dollars worth of models later, I'd concider myself a decent painter

Revlid
13-02-2008, 08:12
I've learned how to lose more graciously than I did before.

Desert thunder
13-02-2008, 08:22
Well because I used to paint so much and ignore the world when I got to college I don't listen to anybody. Its fantastic!!!!:):):):)

LordFulgrim
13-02-2008, 08:29
I've learned to be less critical of my painting work. Because I'm an artist I used to spend hours on a single miniature and almost never got an army done. Now I paint my mini's battleready and not like a single piece of art.

chevyman8_03
13-02-2008, 08:38
Hmmm, What have I learned from this hobby? That you should put down the hobby knife when blowing scrapings off your model to avoid inadvertently stabbing yourself in the jaw (it hurts).

The lighter citidel paints taste worse than the darker colours, but not as bad as the metalics.

You can have your backside handed to you in a game and still have a great time. Example: First game I played I lost most of my spacemarine army by turn four. In addition to a few other models I had a lone marine w/ lascannon tied up in combat with FIVE assault marines. Swinging his lascannon like a club, he mannaged to fell four of them and tied up the fifth until turn six. I may have lost horribly, but it was one of my most enjoyable games.

Nerak
13-02-2008, 09:17
Like most here Iv'e become more skilled as a painter and I think that the hobby knife is much easier to use.

But the skill that hase surprised me the most is that you get a new way of "strategic thinking". Which I only discovered when I played chess with a friend. Suddenly, i started thinking like if it hade been a warhammer game (which units are expandables, which once I really want to keep, how much my opponent is willing to sacrifice, what kind of tacktik he'll use...). The funny thing about is that it took me completly by surprise.^^

Bigbot
13-02-2008, 09:38
I've learnt to communicate better cos if you talk to your opponenent and have a laugh the whole game is more enjoyable, this can be applied to a lot in life really

I've also learnt that lascannons go 'freem', turbolazers go 'turbofreem', any gun with bullets goes 'dakka' and tanks go 'pivot' when turning

Shadowphrakt
13-02-2008, 09:50
She's very cute. She also looks like she's about 12.
dude, shes 17. I'm 15. in fact, shes 18 in august. Im 16 in june, the picture just make us both look quite young. And you know the thin line you were talking about? when i said "good with my hands" i did not mean to cause any alarm or insinuate anything of that sort.

Shadowphrakt
13-02-2008, 09:55
@Shadophrakt: Young man, let me offer you just a teensy bit of advice.
I resent that. Im not a young man. Im a cat. and i used to be Jimmy Carr. Ive had loads of past lives. And caffeine. Dunno which is influencing this post.

Luisjoey
13-02-2008, 12:15
I came to this hobbie with almost nothing, just 4 or 5 modeling planes assembled but nothing else.

With the hobbie i learned to use the paints, to model the figures and use the plastic cement (glue) i learn to make some scenery.

but the best is that i make new friends with the very same passion

Alkanchel
13-02-2008, 13:16
I've learnt superglue does a much better job of closing up minor wounds than banadges do....

While medical cyanoacrylates produce less heat and irritation, that super glue sure is a great tool to have around when you start bleeding in the middle of a project you really want to finish.

- A

Theola
13-02-2008, 17:59
First of all, it's helping me get away from MMORPGs... they're such a waste of time. By painting I can still get the feeling of a long term project, but now I actually have real results, and not a false sense of accomplishment.

One of the reasons I started 40K is because I'm a terribly illogical person, and I wanted to get better at tactical thinking. So far, I think I'm doing pretty well. Also, I was embarrassingly bad at simple math without a calculator, and now I'm able to do more complicated multiplication stuff in my head.

It's kind of depressing that a lot of you have had experiences with girls poking fun at you for the hobby. Why do people like to look down on those who have a hobby they enjoy? I think it's great when people find something to do besides plop down in front of the TV every night.

I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but so far I don't think the smelly gamer geek stereotype is justified. Sure, I've bumped into one or two, but almost all the people I've met were nice, and I even got a few new friends out of 40K.

Amnar
13-02-2008, 18:20
I honestly believe that gaming helps you develop problem solving skills. You need to be creative, predict what your opponent will do, and run a lot of odds in your head on the fly.