PDA

View Full Version : What tactics do you use to attract new players to the hobby?

alphastealer
22-01-2008, 12:11
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone after some of their mates to bring them in to the hobby?

I have a friend who is art wiz so I asked him to help me paint a few marines..next thing we are discussing which army would be a good challenge for him. The best part is that that was my plan all along.

I was brought in by a friend who got me a small troop box and a starter paint set...he volunteered to sit with me and show me how to assemble the models and how to paint...now I am hooked. I am sure he planned it all along.

So what have you guys done? or what has been done to you to get you into this hobby?

enigma
22-01-2008, 12:26
well when i first started a mate and me sorta started at the same time... though he drew me in with his box of shiny toys (4th ed 40k i believe :D )

i converted numerous people when i moved states, mostly through insistance as well as running through games with them.

i had stopped though... and was recently drawn back to it simply by playing a few games with some good mates :)

Ironhand
22-01-2008, 13:15
We put out nicely terrained game boards, we have well-painted armies to loan out, and we insist upon a friendly, mature playing environment. Works (almost) every time.

Meathook
22-01-2008, 13:32
I actually just got a co worker in to the game. He was like "what are you looking at?" So I replied "space knights on a giant space crusade with chainsaw swords fighting crazy arsed alien." From that point he was in. Later that day we went and picked up a squad of sisters of battle, I lent him some paints and sent him 30 + web pages of painting tutorials and ideas.

He's passed both my army sizes (1000 and 600) and now has a fully painted 2000 point army in 2 months. Made me look like a slacker.

njfed
22-01-2008, 13:58
Hey good looking. Want to go back to my place and see my minis?

Works every time.

intellectawe
22-01-2008, 14:07
When I teach a new player how to play, I will try my best to throw games. Sometimes the dice just let me win when I dont want to.

Serg. Lynchbox
22-01-2008, 22:40
My friend is spoiled, he played that star wars hero clix thingy. I showed him how much more you could do playing 40k, painting, customizing and playing longer, bigger scale battles. He bought the battle force box set for chaos and a Daemon Prince, got bored and gave it to me for FREE! Well it didn't go the way I thought but at least I got something out of it!

Stella Cadente
23-01-2008, 00:04
some tactics to attract new players?
easy

1: hide ALL the Warmachine stuff if you want them to play GW stuff
2: Hide ALL GW price tags

that sometimes works

Gensuke626
23-01-2008, 00:50
Getting new folks into hobby?

1.Find Girl who is into Games in general.
2.Ask Girl out.
3.Let girl paint some of your minis for you.
4.Buy girl her own minis.
5.Teach girl to play game.
6.???
7.Profit.

Ironbreaker
23-01-2008, 02:04
My girlfriend mentioned when I was buying paints that I should buy Tentacle Pink since I told her about GW canceling it. I informed her that bright pink has little place in a Dwarf army but she claimed that she would use it. I picked up Codex Grey instead. ;)

Looking through the armies online afterwards I thought the Lizardmen's colour flexibility would appeal to her and so I showed her the cute Chameleon Skinks and promptly bought her a blisterpack as a side-gift for her birthday.
She's now eager to learn how to play and to buy paints since they're currently sitting all alone, unprimed in her bedroom.

EDIT: Here are they are waiting!
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6862/picture4qr6.png
Pity all of the ones I've seen online are just green.

Arkzein
23-01-2008, 02:29
i had stopped though... and was recently drawn back to it simply by playing a few games with some good mates :)

How to entice folk *back* is more to the point, all my old firends played on when I stopped for a few years and they constantly badgered me to start again, when I did they had quit themselves! Typical.

Anyway as to getting new folks in generally I up the painting side more than anything (mind you that's all I know much worth saying about! ;)). Always let new players win their first games and use simplfied rules, at least if they're on the younger side. My very first club also had a few club armies and house rules for newcomers. Something along the lines of 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound 4+ to save always except heavies, which were 2+ and no save, for the first game with just a squad of 10, very simple. I'll always remember those RT marines in bright green, blue, yellow and red respectively. ;)

Also a lot of laughing and generally having some craic when something odd happens and then explaining it to them how they've managed something great. "Guys, come and look! He just offed Abby with bolters when I was saving on 3+ on 2d6" springs to mind. :D