PDA

View Full Version : yet another "My Next Army" post

mattnaik
22-01-2008, 14:28
Ok, I need some help choosing my next army. I currently play CSM and absolutely love them. Although I'm not a huge fluff guy, I do like the background story. I love the large amounts of options available to me (yes even in the new codex).

My requirements for my next army are as follows.
-Good balance of fire support and CC
-Models that are fun to assemble and paint and look cool.
-I want it to be slightly challenging, but not a steep learning curve.
-Not MEQ (been there done that)
-Something that doesn't require a huge initial investment just to start playing (both money and time to assemble/paint)

I hope I'm not asking too much. As far as cool looking models Eldar have caught my eye. I've been leaning towards them because of that. But I'm open to anything really.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

TwilightOdyssey
22-01-2008, 14:43
-Good balance of fire support and CC
Eldar

-Models that are fun to assemble and paint and look cool.
Eldar for looking cool; not sure how much "fun" they are to assemble.

-I want it to be slightly challenging, but not a steep learning curve.
Eldar

-Not MEQ (been there done that)
Eldar

-Something that doesn't require a huge initial investment just to start playing (both money and time to assemble/paint)

Does such an army exist? :)

For combat patrol (the smallest 40K game you can play), you can get away with some Dire Avengers, Rangers/Pathfinders, and Striking Scorpions/Banshees. I don't think that there is a 40K codex in existence that has more choice than the current Eldar dex.

ReveredChaplainDrake
22-01-2008, 14:45
Nid...zillaaaa...
1) fire and CC support balanced: Sure, go ahead. Assault my Str9 Monstrous Creature...
2) cool & efficient assembly: 8 monstrous creatures
3) challenging: playing good Nidzilla is all about LoS manipulation, as everything important you have blocks LoS, unlike most other armies in the game. Also, if you want a real challenge, throw in some middleweights to fill in the numerical gaps that you'll probably suffer. Raveners and Warriors make good assaulters / counterassaulters. Also, Genestealers with their WS6 I6 rending attacks ensure that you don't get bogged down by Terminators or stuff that can kill your monsters easily.
4) Not MEQ: oh no, they're much bigger than that...
5) Small investment: a couple boxes of Stealers, a Tyrant (or two) and a few Fexes and you're pretty much done. Few armies build faster.

Deadmanwade
22-01-2008, 16:03
Looking at whats available
Marines - No -MEQ
DH - No - MEQ (kinda), Expensive
WH - No - MEQ (kinda), Expensive
IG - No - No good CC
Orks - No - No good fire support
Crons - No - MEQ
Tau - No - MEQ-lite, No good CC
Nids - No - Loads of models to assemble and paint except Nidzilla (which is cheese. :cheese:)
Dark Eldar - Yes (Except the warriors have silly hats)
Eldar -Yes - Cool models all round

Unless you want to have less conditions.
Buy the models/army you like the fluff for.:)

RampagingRavener
22-01-2008, 16:42
Orks - No - No good fire support

In the new 'dex, that's blatently wrong...Shokk Attack Gunz and Lootaz are excellent fire-support units, as well as Big Gunz, Killa Kanz, Tankbustas, and Shoota Boys all throw out enough Dakka for some to stick.

It does sound like Eldar are what you're leaning towards, though; they do have some fantastic models and can be built to lean towards CC, Shooting or a mix of both. They also usually don't have a huge number of models, so a couple boxes of Dire Avengers, a Farseer, and a CC-based Aspect Warrior squad should be a good start. Mabey with a Vyper or Warwalker or something for Anti-tank work.

Mercer
22-01-2008, 16:57
Tyranids are the way forward. A battle force would get you a core of your army, add another 'Fex, Tyrant & two boxes of Gaunts and you've got a near enough 1,500 point army.

They have decent ranged fire power and excellent close combat, majority of them can move 12" at least as well.

Putting together they're no so bad, perhaps just as many pieces as a CSM.

Mercer

mattnaik
22-01-2008, 17:43
I also must mention I have no desire to play Nids, "Zilla" or otherwise. My one buddy plays them and I play him more than anyone else. Not only will Nid vs. Nid get a little old, they really just don't do anything for me.