PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Vs Space Crusade

Smiling Banshee
22-01-2008, 16:30
So is there any difference between these two games. Im thinking of buying one or the other in a bid to introduce my son to the 40K universe. Which is the better game. Thanks

feelnopain666
22-01-2008, 16:36
Space Hulk 4ever. have simple rules (but that doesn't mean that its easy to win!). But in the end is up to the taste of the buyer, since both are good games.

Vic
22-01-2008, 16:39
Space Hulk by far. I have an 8 and a 6 year old. So as long as you can get them past the idea of their troops dieing (mine had a problem with that, they will make excellent officers), they'll have a blast. There's the puzzle aspect with the layout of the hulk itself, and then there's the hobby aspect with the minis needing assembly/paint. Chances are you'll find the game at a near "ready to go" condition, as both games were released eons ago and are no longer in production (there was some work done on re-releasing Space Hulk, but then all news on that project went "dark").

Smiling Banshee
22-01-2008, 16:41
Ok so im sold on Space Hulk, but which edition should i go for.

Sureshot05
22-01-2008, 16:44
They're very different I find as far as mini based boardgames go.

SH is a little more complicated than SC, but benefits from better tactical depth. It has a great learning curve so that the game gets better as you play.

SC, on the other hand is much more enjoyable from a painters point of view (different mini's!) and is easier to get to grips with from the start. I have friends who "just aren't into that warhammer jazz" but will have the odd game of SC with me.

CommisarMolotov
22-01-2008, 16:45
You'll probably only be able to find the Second Edition of Space Hulk.

Vic
22-01-2008, 17:26
I bought the first edition of SH a couple of years ago on ebay. It's arguably the better of the two editions, but you can buy one and get PDF's of the other, so I guess it doesnt matter which edition you get. Are you in Australia by chance? I wasnt able to find SC here in the States.....

WallyTWest
22-01-2008, 17:37
Even though it may seem "smaller", space hulk in every way is better.

Patriarch
22-01-2008, 17:59
1st edition Space Hulk is much, much better, in fact my favourite GW game current or past. 2nd edition messed up the flamer rules and managed to take most of the tension out of the game. It didn't sell very well (surprise!) so GW dropped it.

GW doesn't make either of them any more, you can only get them second hand (i.e. eBay).

In addition to the game itself, there were two boxed expansions: Deathwing (which introduced Captains, assault cannons etc) and Genestealer (armed hybrids, psychic powers for both sides).
There was also a book of missions, essentially reprints from White Dwarf (when WD was worth reading).
All these goodies are availble online for a suitable sum.

Space Crusade was a decent enough game, an "introduction" to GW games, and got a lot of people started in wargaming. But if you are on Warseer, you are probably passed that stage!

Vic
22-01-2008, 18:15
@patriarch:
Reread his post, he wants to intro to his son ;) So go ahead, give him some feedback on makling the game interesting for his kid.....

thearchiver
23-01-2008, 00:57
Any gamer older than 25 will offen say they started with SC.

SC I think gives a tad more background, as SH is just termies and stealers.

That said termies and stealers models have more use when you move on to 40k where as none of the SC models really work.

ehlijen
23-01-2008, 03:26
As a board game, I'd have to say Space crusade wins simply by virtue of having the option for more than 2 players.

Vic
23-01-2008, 05:41
But, you could do the same with SH. Just have squads of Termies controlled by seperate players, and the game master controlling the stealers....

ehlijen
23-01-2008, 05:58
You could, Vic, but out of the box, Space hulk is a 2 player game. I'm not saying either is better, I haven't played hulk often enough to make that call. I'm just saying that in a board game inbuilt support for more than 2 players is an advantage if otherwise you can't decide between the two.

BigRob
23-01-2008, 07:46
Space crusade is very much simpler than the Hulk but this is not a good thing. Both the red and white shooting dice (these D6 have numbers 0-2 and 0-3 on, the number rolled is the number of shots fired.) With 3 sides on each dice being 0, it means theres 50% chance you'll miss os shooting is suddenly less effective. This means its either big win or big loose whenever I have played Crusade. Plus the board isn't all that big, you need 3 sets of the floorplans for fun.

The hulk is all about tactics with ye olde command points, limited flamer ammo etc. Gotta love the hulk. For variety there on loads of fan rules about for orks, necrons, etc.

Then again, Crusade has that awesome dreadnaught..........

CyberShadow
23-01-2008, 12:02
Hi. I am going to go against the trend here, and say Space Crusade.

First, you need to check what version of each of these games you have found.

Space Hulk - first edition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk

Space Hulk - second edition
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2163

Space Crusade
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1568

Advanced Space Crusade
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8630

Space Crusade was specifically designed to introduce a younger audience to wargaming. As such, it has a larger variety of miniatures, including the 'end boss' Chaos Dreadnought. While I agree that Space Hulk is a better game, and that Space Crusade is more limited, I do think that as an introduction Space Crusade serves better.

I guess that it depends. Do you want a stand alone game to grab on a wet weekend, ir will this be the beginning of the hobby in general? If the first, Space Crusade. If the second, Space Hulk.

(And, to make myself more unpopular, I prefer Advanced Space Crusade to all of the other three! :angel:)

OrlyggJafnakol
23-01-2008, 12:18
(And, to make myself more unpopular, I prefer Advanced Space Crusade to all of the other three! :angel:)

Agreed here. Christmas 1990. My friends got Space Hulk I got Advanced Space Crusade. I was 11 and adored playing the game with my sister,

Patriarch
23-01-2008, 12:22
@patriarch:
Reread his post, he wants to intro to his son ;) So go ahead, give him some feedback on makling the game interesting for his kid.....

Ah, but he doesn't say how old his son is!! :angel:

SH was my first "proper" GW game at a young age, so it works fine as an intro. And more "repeat" power than SC, as I'm still playing it.

Advanced Space Crusade was SH with more models and D12s.

Bloodknight
23-01-2008, 13:05
I got Space Crusade first and I still prefer it to Space Hulk for two reasons: it is more varied and it provides for a good evening of brainless beer&pretzel gaming while Space Hulk is a lot more involved.

I especially love the additional rules for Terminators, Scouts and Ork teams they introduced in WD ages ago.

Welf VIII.
23-01-2008, 15:17
Have only played the last Edition of SH and found it boring. Space Crusade was nice at its time and there were ways to improve the game by using house rules and things like that. But ASC was really a great game with great tactical depth.

Smiling Banshee
23-01-2008, 16:11
Well thanks for all the replies so far. Im gonna go for SH i think, im bidding on a copy at the moment. My son is only 5, I know its a bit young but he's always interested in my 40k armies and always asking me to give him a game. We've had a few games of Combat patrol, which of course he won, but theres only so much he understands obviously. I thought space hulk might be a bit better to ease him into the universe. He also loves my tyranids so i thought that was a bonus too.

Vic
23-01-2008, 16:44
@Scott:

All that was said to expand AC can be done for SH as well. Once you get SH Scott, PM me or post on here again, we'll point you to sites with additional content for SH. And 5 years old isnt too young, its how oldmy second child was when I introduced her (I have 5 kids, ages 8, 6, 3, 3 and 14 months). The older ones were intro'ed to SH and loved it. You'll have fun!