PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is an "Ultramarine Ancient"?

Baltar
22-01-2008, 20:01
The Codex lists them in the Honor Guard as guarding the banner, but doesn't really explain much of anything about them and why they have such an evocative name.

Chaos Undecided
22-01-2008, 20:10
Its an honorary title given to the veteran charged with taking the Chapters Main Banner into battle and safeguarding it, kind of the biggest honor available for a basic Marine in the Ultramarines chapter.

PaRaSiTe_X92
23-01-2008, 17:25
I've always thought of Ancients as Dreadnoughts. *shrugs*

Pulse
23-01-2008, 17:47
Aye Chaos Undecided is right. Tis a veteran carrying the main banner.

bobmiester
24-01-2008, 00:41
I think they get the special title as recognition of the prestige of being trusted with the chapter's honor.

I took it to be because the banner bearer would be chosen for being the most experienced (and therefore most often the oldest SM in the company). But I haven't read any ultramarines fluff with one of these guys in there so I'm just speculating.

Khaine's Messenger
24-01-2008, 02:53
According to Websters and the Online etymology dictionary, "ancient" was also used as an archaic/obsolete synonym for ensign/standard/flag (specifically, a corruption of "ensign"), or the person who bore it, from the mid 16th century, and featured at least once in the language of a Shakespearean play. You could assume that it's up there with "Master Victualer" in terms of mild obscurity. *shrug* One could ramble on about the valor and awesomeness of the person bearing it, though, and how standards and banners have a host of mythological implications.

DantesInferno
24-01-2008, 04:55
I took it to be because the banner bearer would be chosen for being the most experienced (and therefore most often the oldest SM in the company). But I haven't read any ultramarines fluff with one of these guys in there so I'm just speculating.

Nup. As KM said, "ancient" is an antiquated word for banner bearer ('"Tis one Iago, ancient to the general").

We know it doesn't mean the most experienced/oldest Marine. Sergeant Tortalus, the Marine selected to be the "current" bearer of the Ultramarines Chapter Banner, is described as "youthful" when he is selected by Chaplain Cassius.