PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt Night Goblins

Honorius
23-01-2008, 01:09
Heroes

Goblin Big Boss - Gigantic Spider, Martogs Best Basha, Light Armour, Shield - 94

Night Goblin Shaman - Lvl 2 Wizard, Staff of Sneaky Stealin' - 135

Core units

10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders - Musician, Standard Bearer - 148

20 Night Goblins - Spears, 2 Fanatics, Full command - 150

20 Night Goblins - Short Bows, 2 Fanatics, Full command - 130

Special Units

2 Goblin Spear Chukkas - 70

Rare Units

3 Trolls - 120

997 points

ironskullbo
23-01-2008, 17:47
keep your big boss near the trolls or they will be stupid every turn, they will also work to be a grerat team when they both charge. i would also suggest that you get rid of the basha for the magical spear, there is no reason you shouldnt get the charge off on a gigantic spider. when you get to a higher points value you might want to bump your unit sizes up to 30 or even 40. and wolf riders are a must there speed is just to good. i have an all goblin army of 2000 points with around 250 foot troops and 50 fast cav and it works great so if you have any questions just ask me

StanMcKim
23-01-2008, 17:57
My 1000 point Night Goblin force looks something like this:

Night Goblin Big Boss with Enchanted Shield and Martog's Best Basha, light armour: 62 pts

Night Goblin Shaman, level 2 with one dispell scroll: 110 pts

25 Night Goblins with spears, full command, 1 fanatic: 145 pts

25 Night Goblins with spears, full command, 1 fanatic: 145 pts

20 Night Goblins with bows, full command, 1 fanatic: 105 pts

20 Night Goblins with bows, full command, 1 fanatic: 105 pts

4 Squig Hunting Teams making one squig heard: 120 pts

1 Giant: 205 pts

Toal: 997 pts

Now, keep in mind that I don't play this army to win. I play it to see how much random $#!7 I can make happen in the course of a game :) Funnily enough, the more random stuff that happens the better my game goes...

I have tried trolls, but I find that Ld 6 on a Night Goblin Big Boss just isn't enough to make them work. They go stupid far, far too often for my liking.
Squigs are fan-*******'-tastic and super killy. Just make sure that they're the ones who charge, or if they get charged, that there are plenty of enemy units around. I kind of use them like walking bomb myself.
-Stan

Briohmar
23-01-2008, 18:06
Would you consider 8 squig hoppers in place of the 3 trolls? They really do give you some killing power that is otherwise lacking in a goblin army.

The banner on the spider riders is probably just free victory points for any opponent who wants them, fast cav should be flankers or artillery killers, never a frontal combat unit, so the banner is rather superfluous on them, unless they form your general's bodyguard, in which case the banner is a good call.

Taking out two fanatics from your current list and putting in more goblins is also probably not a bad choice. This way, you opponent is guessing which unit has fanatics, (or more fanatics depending on how you want them,) and will strive to avoid it. Also, it gives you more survivability to shooting (believe me, a LD6 panic test ain't no picnic,) and a better chance at outnumbering.

lparigi34
23-01-2008, 18:28
Nice army.;)

I only may suggest a couple of different things, mostly for the sake of variety and maybe efficiency.:rolleyes:

1.- IŽd put only one Fanatic/ Goblin unit. IMO 3 fanatics in a 1000 Pts game is enough (however, 6 of them spinning around must be truly fun).

2.- Split the Spider riders in two units, only w/musician.

3.- Keep just the musician in the gobbo arrers.

After this changes you still have some 50 points left....

A.- So maybe you can add back two fanatics, one in each gobbo-spear unit

B.- Maybe you can choose to drop the Standards and give Nets to the gobbo-separ units. IMHO, the -1S bonus has proven to good to be left aside and saving a gobbo also equals to add +1CR to the unit. At a higher cost, YES, but you will not be giving away VP's when battles are lost.

C.- Also you may drop one Troll (down to two) and get a new 6 man Hoppers unit.

Random thoughts:

Instead of three Trolls you can take 2 Stone Trolls. same value but less attacks and US, but T4 w/Regeneration can soak plenty of damage.

Keep the Trolls really close to the General, else they'll do nothing.

Honorius
23-01-2008, 21:33
Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm very new to fantasy after playing 40k for quite a while so mistakes are expected. I have played a few games with my BfSP models and I often find that my troll just wander around drooling. I have been playing with a NGBB on a giant cave squig though and in this list I have decided to go for the normal goblin BB because of the 7 leadership. I have found that I do tend to have a few too many fanatics but all seems well as I am getting good rolls with them (I took out 10 warriors with 2 fanatics).

I think I will split the spider riders into 2 squads of 5 with musicians. I have also heard that its not that great of an idea to have a full command on an archer unit so I will just leave the musician like lparigi34 said. I assume ironskullbo means that I should get Porko's Pigstikka for my Big Boss. I would like to get it but it cost 40 points and I personally think that I would then be spending too many points into the one model, and I think the points could be better spent elsewhere. I have been wanting to add in either some squig hoppers or squig herds as well so I think it might be best if I take out 1 troll and 3 fanatics to add in a unit of 8 squig hoppers. I probably wouldn't upgrade my trolls to stone trolls mainly because it doesn't fit the theme of my army. I want my Night Goblins to be based in a swamp, so if I upgrade my trolls they will be river trolls (which IMO are over priced for their ability).

Thanks again for the comments

bigbear bailey
23-01-2008, 22:05
So what are you going to do with the list then... I can't really help you now as they have said everything I want to say and you haven't said what your going to do bro...

Honorius
23-01-2008, 23:48
If you read my second paragraph you would see everything I'm considering changing. Here is the list with those things added in and juggled around:

Heroes

Goblin Big Boss - Gigantic Spider, Martogs Best Basha, Light Armour, Shield - 94

Night Goblin Shaman - Lvl 2 Wizard, Staff of Sneaky Stealin' - 135

Core units

5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders - Musician - 71

5 Forest Goblin Spider Riders - Musician - 71

20 Night Goblins - Short Bows, 1 Fanatics, Musician - 89

Special Units

2 Goblin Spear Chukkas - 70

6 Squig Hoppers - 90

Rare Units

2 Trolls - 80

1000 points

Honorius
30-01-2008, 21:11
So im guessing this list would be good for a beginers tournament like conflict? Is there anything else I could change to improve the list?

lparigi34
30-01-2008, 22:12
IMHO this build keeps the flavor you want but is better points wise.

7 units in 1000 points of Gobbos is a full flexible army, offering plenty of choices. That said, you'll also will have to deal with Animosity, Low Ld and Stupidity, so it is going to be random... and fun...

I have to apologize and thank you at the same time as I'm going to take your list as of my own for my next few games. We play 1250 points.

IŽll see what I can come up with, but so far my most favored options are (not in any specific order) another character (probably a BSB), giving nets to the Gobbos, upgrading Trolls to Stone Trolls, adding a Rock Lobber...

IŽll post it later!

Honorius
03-02-2008, 06:33
Haha cheers man. This is one of my first lists so it feels pretty good to know that I'm on the right track with my army. Are NG BSB worth taking? What banners to you give them?

lparigi34
03-02-2008, 16:31
Thanks for the update.

As the BSB, my main list has it, I give him the always dependable War Banner.

Conotor
04-02-2008, 00:42
Why do you want 10 spiders in a unit? can't u make it 2 units of 5?

Id drop the trolls and add a wolf rideing hero with one hit wonder. It owns cavalry.

Id also turn the bow into had weopons. Its hard to find a place to line up 20 gobblins wihtout heavily messing with your manuvering.

Honorius
08-02-2008, 05:08
They are in 2 groups of 5... What makes a goblin hero on a wolf with 1 hit wonder so good against cavalry? Sure it makes him better vs them but why is it especially good vs cavalry. I don't have the hand weapon models so im going to stick to the bows. I want one unit of bows anyway so that wont change.

Conotor
08-02-2008, 11:37
They are in 2 groups of 5... What makes a goblin hero on a wolf with 1 hit wonder so good against cavalry? Sure it makes him better vs them but why is it especially good vs cavalry. I don't have the hand weapon models so im going to stick to the bows. I want one unit of bows anyway so that wont change.

Errr... wolf can charge cavalry easily, One hit wonder pierces all of their armore!!!

Honorius
08-02-2008, 23:08
Yes but as its name says, its only for one turn. Is it really worth it for 3 S10 attacks? And a wolf hero can charge anyone relatively easy so whats your point?