PDA

View Full Version : 750pts Doubles Tournament Wood Elves

Mozzamanx
23-01-2008, 17:07
Ello there,

My local club is holding a doubles tournament and I've decided to enter with my lovely tree-hugging pals. However, the competition is pretty big and so I want my list to be the most abusive! :D

The list is going to be paired up with a friends 750pts force, but he doesn't know which army he's taking yet so please just evaluate it as a solo list.

Glade Guard- 10, Musician
Dryads- 8

Wardancers- 6, Bladesinger

Waywatchers- 5

A lot of the other players are taking big things like Hydras and Dragon Mages, so the Lamentation of Despairs is for zapping those or any mages.

The tournament rules say that the special and rare choices are divided by the team, so I can't take any more than this.

I think the list is pretty tight, but I figured that feedback is always useful.

Thanks in advance.

PeG
23-01-2008, 21:14
I dont play wood elves but I play against them a lot and in my experience waywatchers are a bit expensive for smaller games compared to the value they bring. I would consider leaving them out and taking more trees. Dryads are core so that should be easy, the treeman is great in small games although a bit expensive but there are very few things that can threaten him in this size of the games. Also the other trees have their advantages. Trees have multiple attacks, a rather good toughness and strength (for elves at least) and they dont run away from my undead forces.

I would not want to get my woodelf general into close combat T3, low armour save and not a very good ward save (compared to what the other armies have) just isnt good enough so I would drop the GW and give him good equipment for ranged combat movement is also really nice so alter kindred can still be useful. hail of doom is great in smaller games since the number of hits can really wipe out a unit with low armour.

An alternative that my opponent sometimes plays is just to give the general a minimum amount of protection and hide him in the back somewhere and spend the points on something else (in his case usually a treeman)

Lyonator
23-01-2008, 23:25
alter kindred can't be your general...

knowing what your partner is taking will help us advise you, so let us know asap...
right now all you know is that he is bojacking the rare slot and two special slots?
waywatchers are cool, but not in a list this small, too expensive.

Krootman
24-01-2008, 00:11
no glade riders? I agree waywatchers cost to much for this small of a game.

Highborn
24-01-2008, 02:48
Abusive?

Depends on your ally's list, but in such a small game I'd be looking at either something with serious combat potential, like this list with 2 damage absorbing dryads, killer wardancers and a tree(!)

Wardancer Noble, Moonstone of the Hidden Ways
7 Wardancers
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
Treeman

Or something that can support your ally's defensive tactics by shooting lots of stuff before breaking whatever's left:

Noble, Hail of Doom arrow, Light Armour, Enchanted Shield
10 Glade Guard, Lord's Bowman
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard

8 Dryads
5 Wild Riders, full command

30 shots @ BS3, S4 is lethal at close range, especially when paired with the Hail of Doom arrow to remove a lightly armoured enemy unit.

I wouldn't take either list to a friendly, but treemen and the Hail of Doom have a nasty tendency to dominate small games. Don't expect Lamentation to go off - it probably won't, and it's unreliable at best.

IronBrother
24-01-2008, 03:04
who says that it has to be friendly? take a treeman and see how people react. but seriously try to pin your ally down, so that we can help you support him. otherwise you will have two seperate armies against a cohesive army.

InquisitorFenix
24-01-2008, 06:19
as much as i love my treeman, i dont think i could justify taking a 285 point unit in a 750 point game. On the other hand, very little can stand up to a treeman at that point size. If u wanna do that, maybe play an all forest spirit list. U get a cheap general in a branchwraith and that leaves u a few hundred points worth of dryads. This can depend greatly on what u ally will have. My other strategy would be to take a unit of glade guard, 2 units of dryads and 2 units of glade riders + a branchwraith or an economical noble.

Lyonator
24-01-2008, 07:40
Wau...

Branchwraith (Netlings OR Cluster)
10x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads

Have your buddy concentrate on killing really big stuff, and go wild...
good odds that nobody will come close to seeing that coming.

Mozzamanx
24-01-2008, 15:00
Thanks for all the input so far.

General opinion seems to rank Dryads very highly, as well as Glade Riders and Glade Guard.

Hows this for a second list?

Glade Riders- 5, Musician
Dryads- 9
Dryads- 9

Wardancers- 6, Bladesinger

Comes to 749pts.

As for my friend, he's decided to take Tomb Kings, despite the fact that they're hard to play, weak in small battles, he has no experience in WHFB and is a tactical ***** =P. So its pretty hard to say what he'll bring or do.

Krootman
24-01-2008, 15:12
Wau...

Branchwraith (Netlings OR Cluster)
10x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads
9x Dryads

Have your buddy concentrate on killing really big stuff, and go wild...
good odds that nobody will come close to seeing that coming.

I like this, but as everyone has said its really really hard for anyone to help you out when we have no idea what your opponent is using.

Lyonator
24-01-2008, 17:10
I like this, but as everyone has said its really really hard for anyone to help you out when we have no idea what your opponent is using.

It's a tourney list, he doesn't know what he'll be facing
(I'm guessing OP doesn't have much of a feel for the local metagame?)

OP may be hosed re: partner
: P

Highborn
25-01-2008, 01:01
Lyonator's got it :P Your partner's shot himself in the foot ... I think twice about fielding my TK at 1,000 points, simply because 3 incantation dice vs the minimum 2 dispel dice is poor, and minimum 215 points for characters is going to mess with his army. If he takes a shooty TK force, it could work. An Alter can't be your general though, so you'll have to leave him at home. It's a good thing, because Alters don't tend to survive battles anyway.

Krootman
25-01-2008, 14:11
It's a tourney list, he doesn't know what he'll be facing
(I'm guessing OP doesn't have much of a feel for the local metagame?)

OP may be hosed re: partner
: P

my bads i ment we did not know what your buddy was using so it was hard to help u make a list because in those doubles tornys its better to build your lists together.

Wolfmother
25-01-2008, 17:20
hail of doom!