PDA

View Full Version : Model size and line of sight

whydiablo
23-01-2008, 17:19
In the rule "line of sight", it say normal-sized model cannot block the large target sight.

But, what kind of model count "large target"?
Ogre is large target or not?
Man-size model beyond Cavalry can block the enemy sight to shoot the cavalry?

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-01-2008, 17:58
Large targets are those models with the Large Target rule. It's that simple.

So no, Ogres are not large targets, and yes, normal infantry will block line of sight to cavalry.

whydiablo
23-01-2008, 18:03
oh, I play the rule in wrong way @@
I shoot my friend's ogre by "large target rule".....

But it is good, I can use infantry screen to protect my cavalry :)

Lorquas
25-01-2008, 13:11
Hi

Does that also mean that Goblins block the line of sight to a unit of trolls behind them?

Lorquas

Mouchliazo
25-01-2008, 13:34
Yes. Anything that does not have the Large Target rule blocks the line of sight of/to everything else that doesn't have the Large Target rule. Even if the actual model is shorter.

Griefbringer
25-01-2008, 15:00
Exception being models with the "small" special rule (eg. skaven rat swarms) that do not block line of sight.

Tarax
25-01-2008, 17:28
Ie there are 3 sizes used in Warhammer:
-Small, like swarms
-Large, like Giants
-Everything else

Small and Large unit have this in their special rules and are therefor specified as such.

For my part I would like to see 2 more sizes, one for Dwarfs, Goblins and everything between Small and 'human' size; and one for Ogres, Cavalry and everything between 'human' size and Large. But that's just me thinking.

whydiablo
26-01-2008, 17:45
YES, I think so
It doesn't make sense Goblin can block Troll sight........

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-01-2008, 18:10
Maybe not on your neat and orderly table top, but then try and imagine it is a battlefield several miles across, where it won't all be perfectly plane gassland, but there will be small hills(smaller than the ones we use for terrain), bushes and there will be other things that impair your visibility, it might be raining etc.

It's to represent that large targets are HUGE and so will tower up over everything. An ogre might be taller than a goblin, but the size difference is much, much smaller and it can be hard to tell at a distance on a confusing battlefield.

Gonz
26-01-2008, 23:59
Gorbad is quite right. This is the fog of war. Think of the reality of facing a huge army. Units would blend into each other, disappearing and re-appearing in the undulating terrain, mists and smoke of battle.
Units that are specifically large will be defined as such in their army book.

whydiablo
27-01-2008, 18:48
before 7th, is this rule same as now?
My friend seem very unhappy to this rule......:P

Festus
27-01-2008, 18:53
Hi

Yes, this rule has been in effect for ages and ages. Troops block LoS, only Large Targets are visible above that.

*Small* was an addition of 5th ed, IIRC (could be 6th, but I do not think so)

Festus