PDA

View Full Version : WH 40K pieces?

IG_hopeful
23-01-2008, 18:37
Okay, I'm curious even if you dont play a certain army. Are there any pieces that you've bought just for the purposes of painting and maybe made into a diorama?

I know that anything I'd buy will never be used in one, But just for the fun of painting I'm thinking of getting the Ork Cmd. sqaud

The_Warsmith
23-01-2008, 18:39
i bought the dark angels veterans they're some of the best models i've seen

i use them as fallen angels in my chaos army from time to time but apart from wearing black robes their 100% imperial so look a little out of place

oh and i bought half a daemonhunters army, never use them but i loved building and painting them

kermit
23-01-2008, 18:42
Way too many to name... and many not painted...

Most recently:

GHAZGHKULL THRAKKA!!!!

Captin Korea!
23-01-2008, 20:46
A Space wolf squad, some old stormtroops ( theree still badass compaired to the new ones), a Nid or two. Thats about it.

Vladigar
23-01-2008, 20:53
Two boxes of the new Ork Bikes just 'cause they're so cool...

and they were mispriced at $15.00 a box ;)

Baltar
23-01-2008, 20:56
No. I don't have cash to burn like that.

Bregalad
23-01-2008, 21:33
Yes, I am crazy like that. I like painting :)

Grimbad
23-01-2008, 21:38
I got a champion of khorne once, cause I liked the pose. I ended up converting it to be a chaplain holding a champion of khorne's severed head.

IG_hopeful
23-01-2008, 21:47
Anyone else care to hop into the topic?

Lord_Squinty
23-01-2008, 22:06
Yes - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov and a couple of penitent engines - ended up the beginnings of my WH army ;)

chosen of chaos
23-01-2008, 22:10
inquisitor cortez and i turned him rouge slaanesh,looks pretty good and i would put a picture up if i knew how too but my camera quality sucks

MadDogMike
24-01-2008, 22:39
I buy a lot of models just on the looks, though I generally stick to something that will be usable in an army (thing is, I have a LOT of 40K armies built or am interested in building *blush*). Still, I did fork over the time and money to make this guy:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/888/santacronpaintednr8.jpg

So I don't make everything completely for tabletop usage ;).

Free Spirit
24-01-2008, 22:58
To answer the TS post yea... i do that alot, it's kind of a curse.

I love painting, but i paint slow! Even on regular footsoldier i spent too much time. I always say: okay he's just a line dude, not a commander or something, you just have to paint it to a 'good' (my opinion of good ofcourse) level. And always i keep making hours on those details. Because of that, and the knowledge that i can paint on a reasonably good level i love painting all the nice GW mini's. I have a generic chaos army (first army, new codex made it useless) and i'm now busy with a khorne army.

Models ive bought 'seperately' (just for painting):

techpriest
stormtroopers (among the coolest models ever!)
Stormtrooper sarge.
Logan Grimnar
Limited edition 'mohawk' marine
Cypher
Dark angel veterans

@MadDogMike, LOL i laughed... good one mate.

Nveci
24-01-2008, 23:02
I have painted a few fantasy items (old high elf lord on steed), I've painted LOTR stuff (Rohan Riders, Uruk warriors, the fellowship), and I've recently gotten some Grey Knights to paint because their halabards (spelling?) are sculpted really well. If I get enough money, I'm going to get a High Elf Dragon and paint it either Imperial Fist colors (and trail a flag behind it for the Imperial fists?) or dark blue.

But I really like to escape into the other game types other than 40k every so often and paint a guy there.

Chuikov 144th
24-01-2008, 23:20
captain strike. love lightning claws.

PseudoK
25-01-2008, 02:40
I grabbed some of the female Guard that were floating around, and I still have some Wulfen from my SW army that I didn't trade away - just because they look _that_ awesome.

To satisfy my painting desires, though, I've started painting friends' models in return for them giving me models that I can use. I get better at painting on their models, paint quicker because I'm obligated, and get my crack. =D

Scharnhorst
25-01-2008, 03:16
Didnt really use any of the GW models. However, warmachine's widowmaker captain makes a great looking vindicare assassin for my witchhunters army.

I tried picking models that fit with my army and look cool. like celestine or a grey knight termie.

Seved
25-01-2008, 03:56
To answer the TS post yea... i do that alot, it's kind of a curse.

I love painting, but i paint slow! Even on regular footsoldier i spent too much time. I always say: okay he's just a line dude, not a commander or something, you just have to paint it to a 'good' (my opinion of good ofcourse) level. And always i keep making hours on those details. Because of that, and the knowledge that i can paint on a reasonably good level i love painting all the nice GW mini's. I have a generic chaos army (first army, new codex made it useless) and i'm now busy with a khorne army.

Models ive bought 'seperately' (just for painting):

techpriest
stormtroopers (among the coolest models ever!)
Stormtrooper sarge.
Logan Grimnar
Limited edition 'mohawk' marine
Cypher
Dark angel veterans

@MadDogMike, LOL i laughed... good one mate.

I have the same problem as Free Spirit mentions above and I bought the new Harlequins just to paint them.

RFT
25-01-2008, 10:31
I've got an Arbites Squad that I've had for years. I did use them in a couple of games, but they always got killed first turn.
I'm toying with the idea of buying them a Forgeworld Repressor, as it looks cool.

Adra
25-01-2008, 11:07
sheesh i do this all the time. i buy one off models just cos i have an idea for a convertion. Sometimes this leads into fully formed squads or even armies but not offten.

Mercer
25-01-2008, 11:11
lol Santa Necron Lord is pretty cool.

I only tend to buy models which I like and for gaming purposes. Any delicate, or big models go on my shelf for display and saftey purposes.

Though I'm thinking of buying Ghazghskull and a few Nobz and Nobz in mega armour because they look so cool :)

Mercer

EVIL INC
25-01-2008, 13:14
I have a few times. Usually they end up as gifts to others who arent in the hobby to put up to look at. (After I spend far more time and effort doing them up into diaramas).

paspinall
25-01-2008, 14:18
He he lets see,

I play Marines Eldar and Imperial guard.

I wont count the multiple marines I have because technically they can all be used LOL as can the withc/demon hunters

But I also have, a Tyrant guard, and the tyranid contents of the Battle for Macragge, I have a Monolith a Necron Lord a box of warriors and 4 pariahs, I have a box of firewarriors and one of the commander battlesuits, i bought the Chaos army box set because I liked the new models, I have an Ork trukk, Lootas and bikes.

And I do the same thing with Warhammer, i have 2 more or less complete armies but i think i have figures from all but 2 of the armies.

gitburna
25-01-2008, 14:23
I've bought the Dark Angels Sammael on Jetbike, and the chapter commanders from Apocalypse for those very reasons.

Almost everything else gets used in games, though my Phoenix Lords are very very rarely used. Neither does my Abaddon or Realm of Chaos era Keeper of Secrets actually.

GalenArtorius
25-01-2008, 14:48
I bought the new Apocalypse Commissar holding out his bolt pistol because the mini is one of my favourite ever (that's right - ever!). The sculpt just oozes casual bad-@$$ attitude.

You can almost hear him saying "There is no retreating..." *BLAM - dead officer*

[SD] Bob Plisskin
25-01-2008, 15:02
i bought the dark angels veterans they're some of the best models i've seen

i use them as fallen angels in my chaos army from time to time but apart from wearing black robes their 100% imperial so look a little out of place

I use these as raptors in my army by removing all the iconography and attaching the furies wings to them, lead by cypher with the fantasy daemon prince wings.

The only model I bought to paint and not use is the Techpreist in full servo. After that I started a marine army so is technically useable but I never would because I think he's useless for the points cost.

Forlorn
25-01-2008, 15:05
I bought the Archeon on Foot. The FB model just because he is awesome. He's still in the pack but I have him! :D

TheHaunted
26-01-2008, 03:21
Yeah! harlequins and about forty Grey knights. Painted the GK but still havent gotten to the harlequins.